“Something unique and hidden”

Mexico Silvestre Cozumel Wilderness Outfitter - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover Cozumel’s wilderness in this unique expedition through naturally protected coastal and inner lagoons. Bird watching, incredible scenery and wildlife are the main focus of these canoe trips. Traveling by canoe you can reach places which are otherwise not an option. Mexico Silvestre is the only outfitter to offer this service. Each expedition is tailored to your interest, group size and time frame. Nature photography workshops are offered, either with your own camera or trying out one of our professional systems. Half day, full day, overnight and multi-day options available.
San Antonio, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Something unique and hidden”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Robert Cudney, the owner, is a wonderful guide. We have been out twice with him, and he is very flexible and accomodating to the type of trip we want to do. We saw wildlife we have never seen before in 25 years of coming to Cozumel. He also prepares a wonderful snack lunch on the beach which we enjoyed. He used to be the park ranger for the Palancar Reef, so is very knowledgeable about the entire ecosystem of the region.

Visited June 2012

Cozumel
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A facet of Cozumel that few are lucky enough to experience! Amazing!”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Paddling canoes through 3 of the Mezcalito’s lagoon system was a completely unique and different experience than any other activity I’ve ever done here on island. Having lived here for more than a decade and never having explored this area of the island, I was totally blown away by the beauty and serenity. The canoes allowed our group to explore parts of the island that are otherwise inaccessible and visit pristine freshwater mangroves and the unique flora and fauna that inhabit this protected area. Robert, owner/explorer/tour guide, imparted a deep sense of respect and appreciation for the environment. What really impressed me about this tour was the attention to detail. From the very start, Robert gave a top-notch safety briefing, and explained how each canoe was outfitted with a floatation cushion for each paddler, each boat had a camelback water bag, a bailing sponge and a mesh bag. We were fully briefed on the best paddle techniques, safety procedures, and current water conditions.

As we toured the lagoons, Robert pointed out the different types of birds and mangroves that we saw along the way. Canoeing was physical, but our pace was leisurely and not strenuous. There were a few times where we did get out and “float” the canoe through a narrow passage, which wasn’t hard or unpleasant and we had already been forewarned about this in the pre-trip briefing.

When we beached the canoes and crossed over to the ocean for lunch Robert suggested we grab a trash bag and collect beach garbage, which we were happy to do since most of us already belong to the “Trashy Little Group” which organizes monthly Cozumel beach clean ups. When we returned for lunch Robert’s attention to detail once again became apparent. He not only offered us hand sanitizer but gin and /tonics, sodas and beer. A delicious lunch was served using non-disposable plates and forks as well. Lunch was served buffet style on a camp table, and there were in camp stools so no one had to sit directly on the sand.

On the way home we witnessed one of the most dramatic sunsets I’ve ever seen, and being on a lagoon made it that much more special. With full bellies the trip back was slow and full of easy chatter, and since we were now experts at guiding our canoe, it seemed to go faster.
I’d highly recommend this tour, in fact, Robert mentioned that he also does other tours to different mangroves and even offers an overnight camping tour. If you’re looking to see a facet of this island that most Cozumelenos don’t even get to experience, this tour is a must!

3 Thank SandDollarLaura
Princeton, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Wonderful Off-The-Beaten-Path Experience”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

My wife and I recently did a canoe tour to the lagoons on the north-east side of Cozumel, right past Mezcalitos bar. While Mexico Silvester offers 4-5 different wilderness tours, exploring different parts of Cozumel, as well wildlife and nature photography excursions, we chose the north lagoon tour because we've always been curious about this particular part of the island.

The tour lasted approx. 3 hrs and was guided by Robert, the ex director of the Marine Park in Cozumel. Robert does a wonderful job of guiding the tour and educating you on the importance of the lagoons to Cozumel's eco system and as a wildlife habitat sanctuary.

That's the educational part. The true fun of the tour lies in paddling (and sometimes wading) your way through various inter-connected lagoons, culminating in a spectacular beach lunch on a secluded beach with ceviche, fresh fruit, guacamole, soft drinks, and an awesome surprise.

We've taken a number of different tours in Cozumel, and I can truly say this one is at the top of my list. For those who want to stay off the beaten-path, and love to explore, this is a not-to-miss experience.

1 Thank konczykp
massachusetts
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Fabulous!!!!!”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

An amazing experience in Cozumel! Top class tour! An amazing day in paradise!! Thank you!

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A Wonderful Double Surprise!”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

A friend of mine organized this tour for our group. When I arrived at the meeting point on the other side of the island I couldn’t believe my eyes. The leader of the expedition was Robert whom I had met many years ago as a rafting guide for Rio y Montaña in Veracruz. That's when I knew we were in good hands. Back then he turned the thrilling white water ride into an unforgettable nature experience.

Our expedition was an overnight adventure. We left with our canoes filled with camping gear and ice chests. We paddled through tranquil lagoons connecting one to another through mangrove mazes. We saw large groups of coots and a couple of crocs on the way. We arrived at the furthest point of the lagoons and pulled out the canoes in what Robert described to us as a crocodile “haul out”. He pointed out all the tracks that seemed very fresh. We then proceeded to unload all the equipment. I wasn’t all that comfortable when the fact that we were going to camp near these fresh crocodile tracks clicked in. However, Robert has this way of making you feel safe and comfortable in the wilderness. So we all helped set up camp. As we all fixed up our tents dinner was prepared. First I thought he was joking when he offered rum and cokes or gin tonics for cocktails before dinner. Wow, sure hit the spot. The dinner spread was great and unexpectedly fine considering the fact that we were camping. After dinner table talk soon led to an offer to paddle in the moonlight. The thrill factor is what motivated all of us. However, the peacefulness and amazing nightscape are what I’ll remember the most.
We woke up to the sun rising over Caribbean. Everyone was accounted for… we had made jokes the night before about who would be dragged away by a croc in the middle of the night. After breakfast we broke down the camp and reloaded the canoes. As we paddled back we saw a “snake bird” cruising on the water. I first didn’t believe it was a bird until it came out on a dry branch and stretched its wings to dry out.
A couple hours later we arrived to the point where we started the day before. I wanted to keep on paddling all day, but all good things come to an end I guess…
I’m so glad to have found my favorite wilderness guide again. I’m already planning to go on his 3-day expedition next time I go to Cozumel. Anyone going on one of his expeditions will come back with a sense of accomplishment and a commitment to the preservation of these few remaining wilderness areas. Congratulations Robert, you’ve done it again!

Visited February 2012
3 Thank Quilla L

Travelers who viewed Mexico Silvestre Cozumel Wilderness Outfitter - Day Tours also viewed

Cozumel, Quintana Roo
Cozumel, Quintana Roo

Been to Mexico Silvestre Cozumel Wilderness Outfitter - Day Tours? Share your experiences!