“Hidden Gem in the Heart of Cozumel”

Casa Mexicana Cozumel
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Arizona
“Hidden Gem in the Heart of Cozumel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I always stay at the Casa Mexicana on my annual dive trips to Cozumel. It is a few blocks from the town square on the main road along the sea. The sea view rooms are spectacular and, though basic rooms, they are well maintained and always clean. The complimentary breakfast is great - full buffet with an omelet station along with real waffles and pancakes, not the frozen ones. The staff is efficient and courteous. A great value with easy access to dive operators.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank David2011Arizona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We love this hotel. So any negative comments are offered solely in the interest of full disclosure. We highly recommend this hotel.

We were in Room 403. Like all of the Ocean View rooms, the room faces 330 degrees (NW). Beautiful view of the ocean. Not much view of the sunset. It's an unfortunate design flaw. It seems like it would have been simple enough to face the upper floors a little more west.

The tap water is purified. I appreciated that.

The Wi-Fi was much better than I anticipated. In most of the hotels in the United States the throughput of the Wi-Fi is about 1.5 MBPS. I check the Wi-Fi at this hotel several times and it was consistently above 3 and typically above 4 and even approaching 5 sometimes. It didn't work very well on the balcony.

Our room was clean and will taken care of by the staff. The air-conditioner worked perfectly. The staff left towel animals every day.

The bed was very good.

Normally, the breakfast is serviceable and tasty, but not much more. But a couple of days it was pretty good. The food was always hot and well-prepared. There is a large selection of food every day and you should find something you like.

The breakfast buffet is on the 2nd floor and had no ceiling or walls. The area is completely open with a wall of rooms on either side. If you have an ocean view room you will hear the clinking of utensils at 7:00 am.

In fact, the reality is that the open design of this hotel, combined with the hard surfaces, makes this place a little louder than that to which I am accustomed as a diamond member with Hilton.

The hotel is within walking distance of at least 20 places to eat that are all highly ranked on TripAdvisor. We really enjoyed that aspect of this hotel.

We have stayed at several other hotels in Cozumel but we are done shopping around. It looks like this hotel will be our home base for quite some time to come.

We encourage you to stay there.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank BigDTravel
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

I traveled to Cozumel September 12th to celebrate Independence Day with friends. Once again my stay at Casa Mexicana was great but this trip took on a different level of service, one not ever experienced in all my travels.

On Friday morning(yes, Friday the 13th) I fell on the tile just outside my room. No one's fault except my own as I was not wearing proper shoes. I was able to yell down into the breakfast atrium for help. Jimmy the waiter & Jaime the service manager immediately came to my rescue. I fell on my left shoulder & being a nurse, I knew it was bad.

I was taken to my room where a doctor was called & came to my room for an examination. During this time the hotel manager &
sales manager stayed with me. The hotel doctor called ahead to San Miguel clinic where an orthopedic surgeon was waiting for me. The hotel manager drove me in her personal vehicle, she even went to get my friend Karen who speaks Spanish as I do not.

A fracture was confirmed & with the help of the hotel & sales manager as well as Karen I was given exceptional care including being driven to 2 different pharmacies to get medicine.

On my departure day I was taken to the airport by the hotel manager in her car. She accompanied me all the way through security making sure I was ok. She even gave me a guardian angel made from tamale husks to keep me safe!

Once home here in Austin I had surgery to repair the fracture & I'm happy to report my recovery is going very well!

I'm sorry this is such a long review but I felt it important to share my experience. There are many reasons why I stay at Casa Mexicana & following this experience I won't stay anywhere else. You are not just a guest, you are family, whether its your 1st visit or 100th visit! God Bless you all!!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank ATXJayhawk
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

I simply loved the service, location, and the condition of the hotel. Great price too. The location to me was the most attractive thing of this hotel. You are at walking distance from every store, bar, dance club, restaurant. My husband and I loved it. For the price we were looking for TripAdvisor gave us the best options. I'm glad we chose Casa Mexicana.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less breakfast area noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EriLove
Brandon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

excellent hotel, extremely clean, friendly helpful staff excellent English , mid way between ferry dock and cruise liner dock most
of shopping dining and downtown within walking distance .lots of taxis right on waterfront, great breakfast buffet no bar makes for quite rooms in evening . business hotel leaves one free to try other option s for your evening entertainment. best thing is the staff.

Room Tip: your choice of ocean view or town, town is cheaper and excellent view for free from pool ba...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank dondilley
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

I'm so excited to get back to Casa Mexicana. First, I will look forward to greetings of hugs and smiles from staff. How good could you feel when greeted by a excited wave from the back of the room. Second, Of coarse the rooms, amenities, view and food are great; including, the price for all that is awesome. Third, Who are we going to meet for the morning buffet?: local friends, new friends and travelers that return time after time, after time. If you want "to know" Cozumel, start here!

Room Tip: All of the rooms in the front have a great ocean view. Avoid floor two, if you want the see the para...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband booked us a room at Casa Mexicana for our 5 night stay in Cozumel. Both price and convenience were factors in his decision. He did a wonderful job in choosing a hotel. It was close enough to the ferry that we could walk with our luggage and not have to pay for a taxi. And it was lovely. I had read other review prior to our trip. "Clean" was a common word used. And clean it was! The people at the front desk were helpful and friendly. Jaime greeted us with drinks in hand and took our luggage to the room. Jaime makes Casa Mexicana what it is. He was so friendly. He knew our names immediately, always had a hello and a smile for us. If we needed something, he took care of it. Breakfast was phenomenal! It was like dinner! Next time we vacation in Cozumel, we know we don't need to shop around. We found our new temporary home!

Room Tip: We were in 318 which is on the side. Not a great view, but we did not stay in our hotel much.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple