“Very Relaxing”

Grand Park Royal Cozumel
Ranked #15 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Williamsport, PA
Reviewed October 19, 2004

Our trip begin like this. We flew into cancun, and were met by a driver who took us from the Cancun airport - which you may want to watch out for the stupid vendors who try to nab you on your way out of the airport with tricks like "hey are you looking for your taxi driver, come over here" You get shuffled to a side booth in the end of the airport and some dude starts talking to you about buying a time share at another hotel.. (They want you to spend time at their hotel to check it out) I immediately said NO, then went outside and our driver was waiting for us with a sign and my name on it. That was nice. He drove us to Playa Del Carmen, and we waited to board a ferry to cozumel. The ferry was very clean and nice, however that day, the sea was a little rough and since we sat in the front of the boat, we felt very sea sick - almost threw up.

We finally arrived to cozumel and hailed a Van which only cost us 5 bucks to get to the hotel. At the hotel, we arrived and got our wrist band and the keys to our room. The room we were assigned to was very clean and nice, albeit the carpet needed replaced but other than that, the beds bathrooms, etc were very clean. I was very cautious about the water but it seemed that the water was heavilly chlorinated and pretty safe to use. I got awful sick last time I was in cancun so I payed close attention to what I was doing.

We went to the buffet area which is basically a large grass hut outside the nice pool there with lots of tables and chairs, and several fresh fruit drinks with a selection of about 8 or 9 different main dishes all of mexican and mayan style foods and a chef at the Grill that always has a different selection of meats for lunch and dinner or breakfast omlets, pancakes, french toast etc... Their desert rack was always fresh and the food was well worth the money in my opinion. We booked one night to their "official formal" restaurant - which in my opinion was about 4 stars. The food in their formal restaurant was excellent and reminded me of several cruise meals - because of the quality, presentation and the great service.

The staff was very nice, and accomodating at all times. All the drinks you can drink and always had snacks or would be willing to make you up a burger, pizza or other stuff at the bar - when you wanted to just hang around and snack.

The pool had a basketball hoop, and was very relaxing to just hang around and slosh around and take in the sun while listening to mexican music both fast and slow.

The highlight of the vacation was the small private beach that is at the edge of the hotel. This beach has a small area for volleyball and has a really cool coral reef - off which many of the commercial snorkeling people take their paying tourists to show them this reef. We got to view it for FREE. There is a sunken airplane right off this beach, albeit it takes you about 10-15 minutes swim out from the beach. There is also an internet cafe about 5-8 minutes walk from the hotel which costs you 3.00 an hour to jump on and check your email, use Yahoo and webcam.

We rented a small car for 1 day for 40 dollars and drove to the ruins at the center of the island. It took us about 30 minutes to get there, but the car is very good on gas - only cost about 4 bucks to refill the tank.

Overall, we relaxed, met some people, danced, snorkled and just hung out and ate like crazy. We had a great time just relaxing. If you are into just relaxing, instead of RAMMING around on your vacation, go here... Its well worth it and the service is really good. I didn't have any problems with security of my valuables and in fact left my wallet in the room and money on the table, which the maid did not take - even though I intended it for her!

Had a great time at the Park Royal.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (4,286)

fort wayne, indiana
Reviewed October 14, 2004

We went to this hotel as part or a Royal Holidays Promotion, and it was singularly the worst vacation experience of my life. I was looking forward to visiting Cozumel, having been to many great Mexican resorts { try Huatulco, it's awesome!! } The staff were friendly, but dispirited by their surroundings. Our room was OK, but run down, and one wing of the hotel looked like Beirut. The food, well, the least said the better. The pool was like a cesspit, and strange odors permeated the air.
We enjoyed the snorkelling and some great catamaran rides, and taking a jeep around the island was fun, and we will probably go back to Cozumel, but most certainly not to Park Royal

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
PARKCZM, Gerente at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2016

Dear guest,...

You can rest assured that proper measures have been taken alongside the responsible managers of each area to avoid future unpleasant circumstances.

I look forward to welcome you back in the near future to make sure that you receive the quality service you deserve.

Cordially,

Ignacio Rivera.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 1, 2004

We stayed at the Park Royal for 6 nights towards the end of August. I'd like to say straight out that my family had a great time at the resort. We certainly have our criticisms, however, which are identical to those posted by other guests.
Let me start with the rooms, which were clean and spacious enough for my wife, two teenage sons, and myself. As pointed out by other reviewers, the beds were much too hard. I think the problem is that they use mattresses without box springs. I had a hard time sleeping well. So if you are accustomed to sleeping on a softer bed, this is not the resort for you. The other big problem with the rooms was the tap water which guests use for washing and bathing. It was very, very brown, full of rust from the pipes.
On the other hand, the service from the housekeepers was outstanding. Every day, we took photos of the "towel art" they left on the beds in the form of animals and flowers.
It was rather strange to swim in a salt water swimming pool. We never asked the reason that the pool was full of salt water. If the purpose is to preserve fresh water on the island I think that it makes sense, but I don't know if other hotels on Cozumel have salt water swimming pools.
Also, my family and I did not appreciate the loud music blasting in the pool area. Sometimes there was one type of music playing in the eating area and another in the pool area. It was a bit obnoxious in my opinion.
On to the food: breakfast was wonderful. The selection of fresh fruits was impressive and the omelets were great. The lunch and dinner buffets were fine, but it was not fine dinning by any measure. If you're going to eat at the buffet, I suggest that you always check out what they're cooking at the grill.
If guests want a really great sit down dinner, they don't need to go across the street to Ernestos. The Park Royal offers, at no additional cost, fancy dining at the Cuzamil Restaurant. We ate there twice and really enjoyed it both times. You just need to remember to make a reservation in the morning for the same evening.
Oh, let me mention the Bikini Bar where guests can order hamburgers and pizzas for lunch. We found the food and nachos there quite acceptable.
I've read a lots of things, positive and negative about the drinks. Yes, the beer is low grade Corona. So what? It's all you can drink. Also, the mixed drinks like Tequila Sunrise, Cuba Libre, etc were just fine. Yes, sometimes they used cheap liquor, but who cares? We didn't. We enjoyed the drinks.
We really can't comment on the hotel's recreational activities because we didn't take part in any of them. We were too busy having fun, snokling and scuba diving on the island. I did listen to some of the adult evening activities which all seemed pretty stupid to me, but to each his own. Other guests were obviously having a good time.
Once a week, Mexican folk dancers perform at the hotel and Mexican food is served, but we missed that because we had reservations at Cuzamil Restaurant that night.
Oh, I should mention that we received a deep discounted price on our rooms at the resort in exchange for agreeing to attend their time share, vacation club presentation. My wife and I have attended numerous time-share presentations in the past, many of them high pressure. I must say, however, that the presentation at the Park Royal was no-pressure whatsoever. If you can get a price reduction for attending the time share presentation, I suggest you do it.
OK, so what's the best thing about the Park Royal? It's definitely the friendly, hard working staff. The resort gets three stars, but they get five. Before we left, we went around to all the bars and restaurants and everywhere else and tipped everyone 50 pesos. In retrospect, we should have tipped them even more. We also left 20 pesos every day for the housekeepers. We just loved the staff and the service!
The worst thing? Well, for me it was the hard bed. Just because of that, we probably won't stay at the Park Royal again. After all, a person really needs a good night's sleep when he's on vacation. When and if they ever finish repairing the main building, I might call them up and ask about the new beds. If they are softer, we'd certainly consider staying at the Park Royal again if the price is right.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Las Vegas, NV.
Reviewed September 25, 2004

I read the reviews good and bad before I went. I was a guest of my sister-in-law who had a time share, so I only paid $38 a day for all inclusive food/drink/activities for 7 days. First there is no shuttle to/from the airport. It took 3 days to get reimbursed for the van to the hotel. The food is the same everyday, and doesn't look like it is kept cold/clean. Corona is the only beer they have and it is poured from 40oz. bottles into plastic cups. The daquaris were okay, but only had 3 flavors. The pool is salt water and dirty/falling apart. Only one tower is open, and the rooms are run down, beds are small/hard, shower water is brown and doesn't drain. People are slamming doors every night. The phone in our room didn't work so we had to change rooms on second night. You can't get money change at the front desk, some things promised on the tours aren't true, but they do offer discounts by booking through them, but any hotel will do that. The public restrooms were clean, but the stalls are designed for midgets, airplane bathrooms have more room! The place was empty, we came back one night from downtown and heard music and a DJ, but only 2 people sitting at a table looking bored and sober. Every bad review I read before I went came true for me too. The staff is very friendly and will go out of their way to help you. We went across the street to Ernestos and had great fajitas. I had the chef reheat my left overs for breakfast the next day. The snorkling tour out to a sunken airplane was fun. Miguel at the bikini bar was great, but had limited drinks to offer. The staff should find work at a nicer property. FIND SOME OTHER PLACE TO STAY.

Reviewed September 12, 2004

My wife and I booked our all-inclusive vacation to Cozumel through Adventure Tours. Booking through Adventure Tours or FunJet seems to be the best way for us since it includes our hotel and airfare. We departed out of DFW on August 23 and returned August 30. We stayed at the Park Royal hotel and were warmly greeted upon arrival. We have stayed here many times in the past with very few problems. The staff are generally very helpful and friendly. The buffet restaurant serves good food with adequate variety. The reservations-only restaurant is very nice, with excellent food and service.
I am a diver, and have used Dive with Martin for several years. His shop is located at the cruise ship pier just down from the hotel, thus, it is very convenient. He has a web page.
This trip, we took an excursion to Holbox, an island north west of Cancun. Holbox is a small fishing village and is very quiet. During the summer months whale sharks come to feed on plankton offshore. Tours are provided to give tourists an opportunity to snorkel with the whale sharks. We were able to participate in this and enjoyed it tremendously. The owner of Dive with Martin, Martin Aguilar, arranged the tour and our hotel stay for us.

2  Thank etcdiver
Reviewed September 7, 2004

That hotel has changed its name at least three times in the last 12 years and has filed for bankruptcy as many times. We bought a time share at that place 10 years ago despite some locaL friends telling us not to do it because of the bad reputation of the hotel. Sure enough two years later we lost our 6K because they filed for bankruptcy. They entice you during your stay to a time share presentation and if you buy you get great discounts or even a free stay. Down the line you will loose everything since they file for bankruptcy a couple of years down the road and start over again. This is a hotel to avoid.

1  Thank MarkP09
Reviewed August 17, 2004

My husband and my son and I just returned a few weeks ago from Cozumel for a much needed mini family vacation. Arrived 7/30/04, departed 8/2/04. I had decided the week before we left to book a last minute vacation. I read every travel review I could get my hands on. I used Apple Vacations and they were great. No problems what so ever. After reading all the reviews and because it was last minute and most hotels were booked, I took a gamble and decided to stay at Park Royal. Before I left the reviews on this message board were 50/50 about Park Royal. I am not sure if I would have stayed at PR after reading some of the reviews about the resort since I got back. I have been reading them this week and WOW, some people hated the Park Royal.

Our stay at PR was great. We had a wonderful experience with the hotel. When we checked in at 10am, of course, we were told that the room would not be ready until 3pm. No problem. We gave the guy at the front desk $20 and asked for a ocean view room above the 4th floor in the newly remodeled towers. He said he would do what he could. We left and went to explore the resort. At 11am I went back to the lobby to get something out of my suitcase and they said our room was ready. I don't know if the $20 helped, but we got the room we wanted and we saw lots of people still waiting for their rooms at 2 and 3pm. The room had a great view overlooking the pool and the ocean. We could see the big cruise ships in port. Yes, the beds were hard and room a little run down, but I didn't care because I was in Cozumel.

We unpacked and by noon we were laying on a beautiful little private beach cove, drinking pina coladas. I loved the beach. After snorkeling at both our private beach (included in our vacation package) and Chankanaab Park ($12 per person, plus snorkeling equipment rental), I will tell you the snorkeling at our beach was a lot better. We saw sting rays, a barracuda and the most beautiful assortment of fish you could ever imagine. In fact, the cruise ships were bringing snorkeling tours right to were we were snorkeling for free.

The food was decent, nothing to write home about, but I already knew it was only going to be so-so from reading the reviews. We ate breakfast and lunch at the resort everyday. Breakfast was really good (Huevo Rancheros), lunch was hot dogs or hamburgers and very good guacamole and chips. We never ate dinner at PR so I can't comment on how good or bad it was. For dinner one night we walked across the street from the resort and ate fahitas at Ernesto's. We sat outside under the stars about 20 feet from the ocean. The fahitas were fabulous, the best. The two margaritas weren't bad either. Another night we ate the Lobster House and it was also very, very good.

We met several people at the resort who had been coming to Cozumel for years and years. They said that they had pretty much stayed all over the island and they came back to Park Royal because they felt they got their money's worth and the service was really good. The AI price alone was worth all the alcoholic drinks we had, and I thought the drinks were really good. We got top shelf anytime we asked for it. Luis the bartender really went out of his way to take care of my husband and myself.

My 14 year old son had a blast. I felt safe letting him roam the resort without us. Sergio, the social director, was really good at his job. He got my son involved in a beach volley ball game one afternoon that he played for hours, while my husband and I laid out at the beach.

After reading all the reviews I knew to make sure and tip $1 here and there. I tipped the maids and the bartenders everyday. Ended up costing me about an extra $50, but you know what, I probably got $500 worth of extra service back.

I did have a problem with the PR onsite car rental. We rented a jeep on Saturday from them to go explore the island. We had paid cash for everything and only brought out our American Express from the safety deposit box one time for the security deposit. The rental lady said I had to provide a credit card number for security deposit even though we paid cash for the rental. I did not want to give her the number because I had read several horror stories, however, I felt I had to. I told her I wanted the number torn up after we brought the jeep back. She assured me there would be no problem. Well....I got my American Express bill and lo and behold there was a $273 charge to the French Quarter Cozumel restaurant, made 4 days after we were already home. Of course, Amex is removing the charge. I did email Park Royal and let them know what happened. Haven't heard back from them.

My favorite part of our vacation was renting the jeep and going to explore the island. During the morning we went to Chankanaab Park to snorkle and play around. The park was really, really pretty. Should have stayed longer. Then we went to Coconuts Bar on the East Side, which is a must see. So beautiful and so very different from the West Side. There is no electricity on that side. No matter what else you do, make sure you go to the "Wild Side" and stop at a couple of the beach bars over there.

To sum up, I would go to Park Royal again. They were good to us, especially for the last minute bargain price I paid to go. This was our first time in Cozumel so maybe I was just excited to be there, but I do know good service from bad service. Park Royal treated us good and I would not hesitate to stay there again. I am sure there are nicer resorts, but dollar for dollar I have no complaints. A vacation is what you make of it. I hope this helps. Feel free to email me with any questions you might have. Most of all, Enjoy the beautiful island of Cozumel. I know we will be going back very soon.

20  Thank Texasrain