Grand Park Royal Cozumel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel(Cozumel)
  • Pool
  • Pool
View Hotel
Hotel Cozumel and Resort(Cozumel)
Scuba Club Cozumel(Cozumel)
Cozumel Palace(Cozumel)
Safari Inn(Cozumel)
  • Beachfront
4,498 results
All reviewstime sharebikini barthe caribbean restaurantcoconut grouperokie dokiesmall beachmexican and italian restaurantsnachosinfinity poolbeach areasnack barhot watermake reservationsocean viewmain poolper daysales people
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 17, 2004

My husband and my son and I just returned a few weeks ago from Cozumel for a much needed mini family vacation. Arrived 7/30/04, departed 8/2/04. I had decided the week before we left to book a last minute vacation. I read every travel review I could get my hands on. I used Apple Vacations and they were great. No problems what so ever. After reading all the reviews and because it was last minute and most hotels were booked, I took a gamble and decided to stay at Park Royal. Before I left the reviews on this message board were 50/50 about Park Royal. I am not sure if I would have stayed at PR after reading some of the reviews about the resort since I got back. I have been reading them this week and WOW, some people hated the Park Royal.

Our stay at PR was great. We had a wonderful experience with the hotel. When we checked in at 10am, of course, we were told that the room would not be ready until 3pm. No problem. We gave the guy at the front desk $20 and asked for a ocean view room above the 4th floor in the newly remodeled towers. He said he would do what he could. We left and went to explore the resort. At 11am I went back to the lobby to get something out of my suitcase and they said our room was ready. I don't know if the $20 helped, but we got the room we wanted and we saw lots of people still waiting for their rooms at 2 and 3pm. The room had a great view overlooking the pool and the ocean. We could see the big cruise ships in port. Yes, the beds were hard and room a little run down, but I didn't care because I was in Cozumel.

We unpacked and by noon we were laying on a beautiful little private beach cove, drinking pina coladas. I loved the beach. After snorkeling at both our private beach (included in our vacation package) and Chankanaab Park ($12 per person, plus snorkeling equipment rental), I will tell you the snorkeling at our beach was a lot better. We saw sting rays, a barracuda and the most beautiful assortment of fish you could ever imagine. In fact, the cruise ships were bringing snorkeling tours right to were we were snorkeling for free.

The food was decent, nothing to write home about, but I already knew it was only going to be so-so from reading the reviews. We ate breakfast and lunch at the resort everyday. Breakfast was really good (Huevo Rancheros), lunch was hot dogs or hamburgers and very good guacamole and chips. We never ate dinner at PR so I can't comment on how good or bad it was. For dinner one night we walked across the street from the resort and ate fahitas at Ernesto's. We sat outside under the stars about 20 feet from the ocean. The fahitas were fabulous, the best. The two margaritas weren't bad either. Another night we ate the Lobster House and it was also very, very good.

We met several people at the resort who had been coming to Cozumel for years and years. They said that they had pretty much stayed all over the island and they came back to Park Royal because they felt they got their money's worth and the service was really good. The AI price alone was worth all the alcoholic drinks we had, and I thought the drinks were really good. We got top shelf anytime we asked for it. Luis the bartender really went out of his way to take care of my husband and myself.

My 14 year old son had a blast. I felt safe letting him roam the resort without us. Sergio, the social director, was really good at his job. He got my son involved in a beach volley ball game one afternoon that he played for hours, while my husband and I laid out at the beach.

After reading all the reviews I knew to make sure and tip $1 here and there. I tipped the maids and the bartenders everyday. Ended up costing me about an extra $50, but you know what, I probably got $500 worth of extra service back.

I did have a problem with the PR onsite car rental. We rented a jeep on Saturday from them to go explore the island. We had paid cash for everything and only brought out our American Express from the safety deposit box one time for the security deposit. The rental lady said I had to provide a credit card number for security deposit even though we paid cash for the rental. I did not want to give her the number because I had read several horror stories, however, I felt I had to. I told her I wanted the number torn up after we brought the jeep back. She assured me there would be no problem. Well....I got my American Express bill and lo and behold there was a $273 charge to the French Quarter Cozumel restaurant, made 4 days after we were already home. Of course, Amex is removing the charge. I did email Park Royal and let them know what happened. Haven't heard back from them.

My favorite part of our vacation was renting the jeep and going to explore the island. During the morning we went to Chankanaab Park to snorkle and play around. The park was really, really pretty. Should have stayed longer. Then we went to Coconuts Bar on the East Side, which is a must see. So beautiful and so very different from the West Side. There is no electricity on that side. No matter what else you do, make sure you go to the "Wild Side" and stop at a couple of the beach bars over there.

To sum up, I would go to Park Royal again. They were good to us, especially for the last minute bargain price I paid to go. This was our first time in Cozumel so maybe I was just excited to be there, but I do know good service from bad service. Park Royal treated us good and I would not hesitate to stay there again. I am sure there are nicer resorts, but dollar for dollar I have no complaints. A vacation is what you make of it. I hope this helps. Feel free to email me with any questions you might have. Most of all, Enjoy the beautiful island of Cozumel. I know we will be going back very soon.

20  Thank Texasrain
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 10, 2004

Ok, I guess I'll start by letting you know that the staff there stole $120 (american) out of my girlfriend's suitcase while we were out in the center of town. We know it was one of the staff members b/c it happened between 8-11pm and only the maids or managers have keys to the room. I understand that you can't hold the hotel liable for one person's actions but when we made the complaint there was no action taken whatsoever. The man at the front desk just laughed and said "what do you expect us to do?".

To make matters worse, while we were making the complaint we witnessed a fight between, believe it or not, a Royal staff member and a time-share customer! Two WOMEN! I'm serious. I actually saw a Royal staff member punch a tourist in the face. I was in such awe that we just gave up on my claim b/c it was obvious how unprofessional this hotel was.

Now everything else was just average. The food is infested w/ flies, the pool is not only slimy but the water level is so low that the filter is ineffective b/c the water does not reach it. I will keep it short about the room...the tub didn't drain, the toilet kept overflowing, the a/c worked and then didnt, worked and then didn't, etc.

The country of Mexico is quite a beautiful place, however. The water is a monochromatic shade of blue and the snorkeling is some of the best I have seen. The nightly entertainment outside the resort is a great time and the drinks and food are affordable for anyone. If you want nice beaches and party central go to Mexico but trust me...do NOT go to Park Royal, Cozumel.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
PARKCZM, Gerente at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2016

Dear Guest,

First let me thank you for having stayed at Grand Park Royal Cozumel.

Thanks to feedback like yours , we can identify our areas of opportunity to continue to provide quality service .

I hope accept my sincere apologies for the difficulties encountered.

Rest assured that appropriate measures together with the managers responsible for each area have already been taken to avoid similar circumstances.

We would love to receive it in the future to make sure you receive the quality service you deserve.

Cordially,

Ignacio Rivera.
General Manager.

San Diego, CA
Reviewed July 31, 2004

Had a horrible experience. You should know that half the place is condemned and not occuppied -- large panes of glass were missing on higher level floors were birds were flying in and out of all day; food is placed in un-refridgerated cases that look like they came from old U.S. supermarkets in the 70's; flies were swarming around the meat they were grilling -- overall, did not eat anything there....went downtown, which was a quick and inexpensive cab ride.

As far as the alcohol....they have big 40's of beer that pour into small plastic cups for you -- that's all you get for beer. They used liquor in plastic jugs with no labels.

You should know that this place is partly a time share and when you arrive, they give you a color-coded bracelet to wear. During the day, they ship in unsuspecting groups for free alcohol and food, in exchange for listening to their time share seminar. They have a different color bracelet and different food is brought out, as well as top shelf alcohol. When you go to order a drink, they ask for you to show your bracelet so they know how to treat you.....it was really bizaare and they made no attempt to hide the difference in treatment. I guess they figure they have your credit card and have already charged you.

To make a long story short, we prepaid through Orbitz and when we returned to San Diego, emailed pictures to them of the condemned building, buffet, etc. Once they received the email, the called and graciously refunded our money.

I'm willing to bet that some of the people on here who are writing excellent reviews have purchased time shares here and trying to fill their slots and/or hoping the place does not go under. A.K.A Alterior motives.

Trust me....don't risk it here.

• Stayed: January 2004
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 29, 2004

We recently returned from an eight night stay- July 17-25. Our children, ages 12 & 13 loved the hotel and activities. The staff are very friendly. There are many free activities throughout the day. The drinks and bartenders were wonderful.
The food was average, but certainly acceptable for an all inclusive resort. Breakfast was good, and most of the time we ate lunch at the pool bar, where they serve hot dogs, hamburgers, nachos. We ate dinner at some of the downtown clubs and restaurants about half of the time for a change of pace.
The rooms are large, but do need upgrading. According to the staff this has already started.
When you are ready to leave the hotel I would recommend Punta Langosta Mall and the plaza area downtown. Chankanab Park is beautiful and well worth spending a day. I would also recommend Paradise Island for swimming. This is just below San Fransisco beach. All of the facilities there are free!!!! Food and drinks are excellent also.

Richmond,Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2004

My whole family loved the Park Royal hotel. The people who wrote bad reviews must've just expected more than 100% of perfection. Be sure to do the activities like beach volleyball, pool volleyball. The little lagoon right by the hotel was good snorkeling and they have little showers to get the sand off of you. The food was good enough for me, but if you have quality not quantity people in your family then bring some money and you can get a cab ride to mcdonalds or somethin. The cab service is great,there is usually cabs in line to get guests!!!! If you want very good snorkeling there is a park that you can get a cab ride too. I have forgotten what it is called, but you can just ask around. (i might recomend flippers) All in all my families stay was great, and i look forward to going back in the future.