After reading some mixed reviews, we weren't too sure about this place, but our stay turned out pretty good.
Check-in: We arrived late, and since we were in town to do some scuba diving, we were in a bit of a hurry to check in. The front desk clerk began checking us in, and then took two phone calls. After the second, I explained we were in a bit of a hurry, and yet he made another call. I knew a lot of Spanish, so I knew these calls were not urgent and personal! So it was a disappointing start. When we got to our room, we had been given a room with two double beds instead of a king bed. Prior to booking, I specifically asked about the bed situation, and was told we would be given what we requested. I had the date, time, and name of the person I spoke with documented, but after our dive, when I went to the front desk clerk, he said it was only a "request" and not a guarantee. He refused to give us a room with a king size bed. Notably, this is pretty much the only person I have any complaint about for our stay.
Rooms: The room was not huge, but by no means small. There was plenty of room for two of us, and we could have comfortably fit four. The room and bathroom were clean, but if there had been four of us, we certainly would not have had enough towels. We did need extra towels, and the front desk did get those to us within 10 minutes. Fair warning - the only toiletries in the room are a single bar of soap and a shampoo.
Food: The breakfast buffet is fairly good and has a great selection. We never had lunch at the buffet, but instead ate at the bikini bar and poolside bar. The food there was not consistent, but it was good. One day the beef burrito had cheese and potatoes inside it, the next it had beef and onions. The dinner buffet has variety, but it is not good. Definitely skip this option and go to dinner at one of the two restaurants on the premises that require a reservation. Personally, we think the Mexican one was the best without question (not a surprise). For an all-inclusive, the food is not bad.
Drinks: the bars are well staffed and well stocked. There is some inconsistency with the way they make drinks, but overall good service here.
Grounds: The grounds are well kept, clean, and nice. It rained one day while we were there and as soon as it stopped the staff was sweeping up water, and about 30 minutes later, besides the humidity, there was no way to know it had rained!
Staff: Besides the lackadaisical and slightly rude man at the check-in desk, the rest of the staff was friendly, smiled, and greeted us.
Location: The hotel is not in the "hub" by senor frogs, but is by the new shopping center that is being developed. If you want to leave the grounds, this may not be the place for you. (Unless you're scuba diving so you will leave the grounds for that, and if so, see my review about Albatros Charters)
Negatives: The in-room water temperature was lukewarm. Same goes for the hot tub. We were slightly disappointed that one of the infinity pools and the other hot tub was closed down for repairs. Especially because 10 year olds seemed to fill the other hot tub a majority of the time.
Hotel Beach: kind of small, but not a huge deal since the pool areas are big.
Overall - We would not rule out staying here in the future, but will probably look elsewhere before booking here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Turquoise - often crystal clear waters -are just offshore. Beneath the surface are breathtaking reefs to attract undersea divers (and fantastic undersea life) from around the world and the Grand Park Royal Cozumel is in the center of it all. The leading All-inclusive on the island welcomes guests to 342 spacious guest rooms each with balcony overlooking the finest corner of the Caribbean. All inclusive, unlimited meals, drinks, snacks, 4 restaurants, buffet style and a la carte, 2 snacks, Café Sole (coffee house), 5 bars, room service 24 hours, in room mini-bar that is restocked daily, high-speed internet access (surcharge) or basic free internet, live entertainment, kids' club (0 -12 years old), fully equipped fitness center ($), spa, 3 resort swimming pool (including 2 infinity pools, main pool & kids club pool with water slides) and two Jacuzzis facing the ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Park Royal Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Park Royal Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Park Royal Hotel Cozumel
- Park Royal Cozumel Mexico