“Park Royal” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
new england
“Park Royal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

We recently visited Park Royal in Cozumel we were so impressed with how clean everything was! the food was excellent and you must try out both the themed restaurants seriously the fish was amazing! The rooms very clean housekeeping came every day what a treat! The activities were very well attended you can be as busy or unbusy really its up to you! We went snorkeling and this place is a must do not miss out on going on a tour for snorkeling stunning to see so clearly and plenty of coral life to see
we would go back in a minute!

Room Tip: we had the 9th floor what a view would recommend it
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RicardodelaPaz2014, Gerente at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this review, August 25, 2015
Thank you for sharing this detailed review of the Park Royal Cozumel, I am very pleased to learn from your comments that you were delighted with our service made a difference creating an unforgettable vacation for you. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (862)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Arvada, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

We had five people in our group. Two senior citizens, a middle aged couple, and a teenage girl. We all had a great time. The hotel was spotless and the staff very friendly. It would have been nice to have a room on a higher floor (above the third) to have an ocean view. The waiting line for the on-site restaurants were a little long and time consuming. Tip #1 You can make later reservations without waiting. They will seat you earlier if space is available. Tip #2 The lounge chairs by the pools are reserved early with a towel, so have your early riser in your party get up and save you a spot. Tip#3 The bars are all good and a little tip gets you a little extra attention. Tip #4 bring dollars (50 U.S. ones) for tips. Bring dollars for everything - everyone wants U.S.dollars. No need to bring or get pesos. Tip#5 We used Carlos from Apple vacations to set up our activities and it was worth the little extra money. Tip #6 If you do a time share meeting, the 90 minutes starts after you get the their meeting room. Tip #7 The rocky path ways can be avoided some of the time by walking through the hall ways around to the front desk. The lobby bar area and the lobby need additional chairs. Tip #8 No free wi-fi, gym, and safe which we had expected. We did get a room safe. Tip #9 If you need additional bottled water, leave a note for your maid. Tip #10 If you want to walk along a beach, Cozumel is the wrong place (unless you rent a car or take a cab to the south or west end of the island). The staff show was just o.k. and loud if you are in a room facing the auditorium. We all had a great time and enjoyed the hotel. Remember to give little tips for great service and use a little Spanish.

Room Tip: 4th floor or above and not backing up to the auditorium.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PARKCZM, General Manager at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing Park Royal Cozumel.

We appreciate all of our guests' feedback and are happy to hear that you had a great time. We are also glad that our staff could assist you with all your needs during your vacation. We'll be glad to welcome you back again any time!

Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

Clean hotel with ocean view. All inclusive food and drinks good but not excellent. Wifi-do not always work. Well spent money to get a room with an ocean view. Some noise during days if you have lower level rooms due to loud pool activities. One of the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Well spent money to get a room with an ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Mats H
Dear Guest

We are glad you found your stay comfortable and enjoyable. Thank you for sharing your suggestions with us and we look forward to welcome you again in a near future!

Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

I have to start by saying, 1: I read so much about this resort prior to arrival that I had managed my expectations and 2: I try really hard not to be an "Ugly American" abroad.

I'll start with the good stuff: Clean hotel, good location, nice staff (Claudia and Edwardo, especially), above average buffet, good on-site reservation restaurant (Mexican), nice pools, strong drinks.

Everything else I read and prepared for was true for me: Rock hard beds, no ocean view unless you are a "club" member, pay for wi-fi, gym and safe box, no fridge, no food allowed in rooms, limited food during off hours, poor restaurant reservation system, etc.

IF YOU HAVE SMALL KIDS UNDER FIVE: Pick a different resort. I know that things are not supposed to be just like home in another country, but there are some severe limitations for young babies here such as:

Stairs, stairs and more stairs. You cannot get anywhere with a stroller. (Tip, during business hours, you can use the mall entrance next door for a no-stairs exit to the street. But this is only when the gate is unlocked.) The paths are rocky and uneven and really bad for a new little walker who tripped every few steps.

No fridge in the rooms, so no where to store milk, bottles, etc. You can't even get milk before 7 a.m. so get yourself a cooler at the OXXO and stock it.

No bathtubs. Even though I brought a stick pad for the shower, my baby still slipped and hit his head.

Double beds are bad when I baby won't sleep and there is no room for mom and dad to bring him in bed with them. Sorry neighbors.

Ridiculously loud air conditioning woke us multiple times every night. Crazy loud. (But at least it worked.)

HOWEVER, the kids clubs was great, Claudia a doll, and he had fun in the little beach cove that is perfect for kids and really, no one else.

All said, we got a nice deal on this package and so while I did complain a little, I really shouldn't. Cozumel is great and all of this aside, we had a nice time.

Lower your expectations and it will all work out. Adios!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank CloudSwing
PARKCZM, General Manager at Grand Park Royal Cozumel, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at Park Royal Cozumel.

I appreciate your feedback about our service. Your valuable comments will help us on improving our daily service and I ask for an apology if any of our services or facilities did not meet your expectations.

On the other hand, I appreciate the recognition on behalf of the people mentioned above and your words will be transmitted to them.

Springfield, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

My wife and I have visited 12 all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean, and Park Royal is the only hotel we've visited twice. I think that puts into perspective the rare gem that is the Park Royal.

I wish I could say that we returned to Park Royal because it is the best, or because it is our favorite, but that's not the case. The reason we returned is because of the value. For the money you pay to stay at Park Royal, the experience cannot be beat.

The resort sits on one of the most beautiful stretches of water in the world. While snorkeling underwater, you can see at least 100 yards in any direction. It feels like being in a giant swimming pool. We spent our days reading books on the end of one of the decks overlooking the water, and that spot is one of the reasons why we wanted to return. It's absolute paradise.

The food is excellent, especially on the beach. Nachos, pizza, and hamburgers - I found myself chewing obnoxiously on more than one occasion, and everywhere you turn people are stuffing their faces. After all, who doesn't like pizza, hamburgers, and nachos? The buffet is good and the restaurants too. (Tip - if you don't want to stand in line to get dinner reservations, just show up for dinner whenever you want and pull out a $20 bill. Much easier than waiting in line for 45 minutes and they really appreciate it)

The rooms are spotlessly clean. In fact, one time we went back to the room to get some more lotion and the maid was on her hands and knees scrubbing the shower with bleach. You could literally eat off the floors in your room.

I'd say the most extraordinary thing about the Park Royal is the staff. We've spent double the price at other resorts and had worse service. The staff at Park Royal constantly smile and say hello, and it's infectious. Special thanks to Enrique at the sports bar! He was our favorite. Great bar tender, never had to wait for a drink even when it was busy!

The only negative comment I have to say about Park Royal is that the beds are hard. But this is more of a Mexico thing than anything else. The beds are just really hard in Mexico, feels like sleeping on a board.

Overall, I highly recommend Park Royal. As others have noted, stay away from the time-share stuff. We've met lots of couples who wasted hours of their trip just to get a free rental car. The time wasted is not worth the perk, no matter what they offer. You're on vacation! Just say no and keep walking, they'll leave you alone. We've never had a problem with them.

Thanks for another great trip Park Royal! Looking forward to our 3rd visit!

1 Thank sixdeep357
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing and recommending Park Royal Cozumel.

We are thrilled that you found our resort to be super clean with a gorgeous location and excellent food! There are so many great activities to do in our surrounding area, and we hope you accomplished a bunch. Come back to visit us again soon!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

I very much enjoyed my stay in the hotel, the employes were very polite and offered great service. Especially the entertainment staff, they were very hospitable and outgoing. They always offered different activities and at night put on entertainment performances. I would also like to especially thank the employes Alex and Cesar they were the most friendly. However I noticed that the security didn't respect the employes as much as they deserved. They all work very hard and deserve respect. Over all it was an amazing trip and I can't wait to visit my friends again!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank tris_four
Dear Guest

We are glad to know you had an amazing time staying at Park Royal Cozumel.

It makes us proud that our staff made you feel welcome and assisted you during your stay. We'll be sure to pass them along your wonderful comments, specially to Alex and Cesar. Thank you for your suggestion and we look forward to welcome you back!

Shelby Township, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

My wife and I just got back from a week at the Park Royal. We have stayed at the Park Royal a few times before and I think that this place keeps on improving. The resort was completely full fro the week which made finding a chair by the pools difficult, but the service did not suffer. In fact, I believe that the service which had always been great, has improved. I also believe that the food at the buffet, which I was always able to find something that I liked in the past, has gotten better and rivals their specialty restaurants (but the coconut grouper at the Mexican restaurant is still the best). The entertainment staff does a wonderful job with a variety of activities throughout the day.
My only issues would be the evening entertainment had karaoke 3 nights and some of the top shelf liquor that was available in the past was missing - maybe due to being completely full. Also, most of the rooms have two double beds which is a tighter fit for two sunburned adults.

Room Tip: Higher floors have an ocean view. Certain areas may have hallway echoing due to all of the marble...
1 Thank livininparadise_13
Dear Guest

We're so happy to learn you and your wife had a great trip with us at Park Royal Cozumel.

We appreciate when our returning guests share their experiences with us. Our entertainment staff is wonderful, always making sure our guests are having a great time! Thank you for the compliments and we hope to have you back again!