We stayed here the first week of December (2013) for 5 nights via a Living Social deal. Booking was fairly easy and everything was correct upon arrival. On top of the stay we received (2) 20 minute massages, 500ml bottle of tequila, and 50% of Spa Services. We didn't use the discount but did receive the tequila and massages.
Location is just south of the downtown area, probably a little too far to walk. But generally seemed safe and not a far drive to the airport. We booked a shuttle with our flights, which worked well.
If you're looking for long white sandy beaches, this is NOT your place. The water side area consists of a couple infinity pools, decks, and there is a little inlet from the sea. Also as many said, the cruise ships dock nearby. We personally found this kind of cool, but obviously other reviewers didn't. I thought if you just turned your head to the right you had a ton of water to view. We never had any issues finding chairs, getting drinks, etc down by the water.
Service is great, everybody is friendly from the bartenders (Luis in particular), entertainment staff (Jesus and Jorge), and waiters.
Food was pretty good I thought. They have a Mexican and Italian restaurant for dinner reservations, dress was really casual. With that said, the resort was not busy so they may have been more lax. There is a buffet for all 3 meals. I thought the food was generally very good. They also have 2 snack bars that have hot dogs, burgers, and nachos. Nothing fancy but served the purpose.
As far as drinks, they had 3 pool side bars (2 by water, 1 in central pool), 1 bar near the lobby, and then there is a Sports Bar that opens in the evening. The pool side bars close fairly early (6-7PM) and the others are open later. Service friendly, drinks good. Nothing real top shelf but good none the less. Bartenders are friendly. We weren't blown away by the service at the Sports Bar. We went there the first night and that was it.
Rooms were decent, the ocean view we had was awesome. I was disappointed by the lack of a mini fridge with beverages. Maybe got spoiled in our last resort. No clock was my other pet peeve. Rooms were clean and good service. Our AIR stopped working and they came to fix it promptly. Rooms are loud. You can hear everything. Beds were just okay. I would say our view helped move these from average to very good.
Entertainment staff was fun. The shows were decent. They have a theater on-site. There aren't any on-site vendors, or very minimal. The resort hooks up to the Royal Shopping Center but didn't really find that appealing. It didn't have a ton of life and nothing that peaked our interest I guess. If you play volleyball, don't dive! There is concrete under the sand, my leg is still recovering!
WORST part of this place, like many said, timeshares are ANNOYING! You have to almost avoid the lobby, they come at you hard. They also put them in your hotel building and as you walk under the road to the beach. It was a little too much. The first day was the worst and then you adapt to avoiding/saying no, but I didn't like this at all.
We did receive our 20 minute massages, the process to get them was cumbersome but it was worth it. It felt great and wish we would've taken advantage of our 50% spa services looking back.
This is a smaller resort so you often see the same people everyday. This is kind of cool for meeting people but some may not like this.
Overall I would definitely come back here. I thought it was a very personable stay, facilities were clean/safe, food was good, I thought the beach side area was more than fine, and it was a nice place. I knock it down a little bit due to the time shares and maybe lacked a few things here and there that would've been nice. We had a nice relaxing time and that was the purpose.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Turquoise - often crystal clear waters -are just offshore. Beneath the surface are breathtaking reefs to attract undersea divers (and fantastic undersea life) from around the world and the Grand Park Royal Cozumel is in the center of it all. The leading All-inclusive on the island welcomes guests to 342 spacious guest rooms each with balcony overlooking the finest corner of the Caribbean. All inclusive, unlimited meals, drinks, snacks, 4 restaurants, buffet style and a la carte, 2 snacks, Café Sole (coffee house), 5 bars, room service 24 hours, in room mini-bar that is restocked daily, high-speed internet access (surcharge) or basic free internet, live entertainment, kids' club (0 -12 years old), fully equipped fitness center ($), spa, 3 resort swimming pool (including 2 infinity pools, main pool & kids club pool with water slides) and two Jacuzzis facing the ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Grand Park Royal Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Park Royal Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Park Royal Hotel Cozumel
- Park Royal Cozumel Mexico