“Fall at park Royal”

Grand Park Royal Cozumel
Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This was my eighth stay at the Park Royal in Cozumel. This is the first year I was able to travel in September-October. Our stay was from September 16 to October 4. First, the negative:

1. The Iron man competition was held during our stay. For the five days the hotel was packed. The day of the competition the roads to the airport were blocked off. You would have had to leave by 5:30AM and would have to fill the time until the flight. Fortunately for us were here before and after it. It was a good comparison. Before and after the hotel was, at most, one third full.

2. Hot water.... what happened since our visit last year? We were in the main building this year. I needed good internet because I was drafting between activities and dives. We were told that the building closer to the road did not have a very good signal. In years past the main building had hot water problems. It was frustrating to wake up to a luke warm, at best, shower. The hotel staff was responsive coming to the room to try to correct the problem, but little improvement. You should not have to choose between hot water and a good internet signal.

3. If you want internet in your room it is expensive. For the eighteen days it cost us almost $200. In my opinion, that's too much. There was no way I was going to go to the outdoor lobby and expose my computer to the humidity so I paid the price.

4. Night access to the beach and pools is restricted.

5. Almost no English channels on the TV. It seems like less than last year.

Now the Positive (this is why we will be returning next year for two weeks.

1. The staff is very friendly. I asked for extra pillows and the reply was, "how many would you like?" The staff in the main restaurant is especially friendly and very wiling to please. Check in was effortless, thanks Samuel!

2. The rooms have a beautiful view. Small but functional balcony.

3. The grounds are beautiful.

4. The beach area is small, but great showers, snack bars, restrooms and pools. (I never use the pools- my pool is the ocean).

5. Shore diving. You might not think so, but the shore diving is outstanding. We have stayed four different places and the shore diving here is by far the best. Very little current and plenty to see. An airplane wreck, coral heads, tri-marine wreck and if you have a compass nice reefs a couple hundred yards off shore. The entire time doing boat drift dives I didn't see any sharks. On two of my shore dives I saw a six foot nurse shark, lots of juvenile angel sharks (usually on night shore dives), moray eels, spotted ells, lobsters, juvenile to huge spiny puffers, lots of sting rays, octopuses, ad much more. It's also a short walk to the pier for boat dives. I dive with Aquaworld, but many dive operators will pick you up at the dock. There are also lockers at the dock and a shower to rinse.

6. The restaurants are clean and the food is good. There are always lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. You have a choice of many main courses at each meal in the buffet.

7. Finally, the value for the money is really great. I have priced similar resorts in the Bahamas and the cost is almost double.

Room Tip: If traveling in the fall check for when the Iron Man competition will be held. Ask for a room above...
7  Thank jcs2100

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Spent the day there while off of the Carnival Elation. Had a wonderful time! The check in took about 15 minutes because we were early. The all inclusive day pass is from 11 am to 6 pm. Grounds were gorgeous and very clean! 3 pools with swim up bars, we only visited one, with an infinity edge. Views were beautiful, overlooking cruise ships. Bathrooms had wet floors, looks like they were repairing the plumbing. Snack bar and buffet lunch. We had hot dogs and hamburgers, and didn't make the buffet because we didn't want to get out of the pool. Drinks were ok, best was the Dirty Monkey, banana, chocolate taste. Yum! Beach was small and water had some rocks, but it was awesome. People were snorkeling right there. Beach towels included. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank wackyjack
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed there recently with three of us in one of the end suites on the 4th floor (2 rooms connected by short hallway, one sitting room that could be converted to bedroom with a murphy bed). It was perfect for the three of us. This is a great property for the price you pay. I've stayed here a few times before and have always been really happy with it overall. I would also recommend a floor above the 6th for the best view.
LIKES:
1. Lots of choices for pools and bars.
2. Good variety on food at the buffet but the quality is slipping a little. Not as good this time around which was disappointing.
3. Staff is very warm and friendly (aside from the front desk staff). We see a lot of the same employees there each time we go which is nice.
4. Very clean and well kept property.
5. Close enough to town but far enough away.
DISLIKES:
1. Geeze!! When will they get the hot water fixed?? Way too many times no hot water. Ongoing issue here.
2. Waterdown drinks.
3. Needs free WiFi.
4. Hard beds with pillows too small. (uncomfortable but not unsleepable)

Overall, I would recommend the property. Great vacation overall :)

Room Tip: Book a room on floors higher 6th and above. (away from front desk)
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Deepblueinfl
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Been here many times. I dive with Babieca Divers next door.
Rooms are nice,clean ,and price with food and drinks included is usually a great deal.
Food is just okay. You have to pick the best items on the buffet and just stick with that. Staff is usually very nice. Watch out for the time share salesman.

Room Tip: Ask for one above the 5th floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Che989
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Everyone that worked here was very very nice and welcoming! They seem like happy employees :) The hotel grounds and our room were very clean. The rooms were a little small, but for 4 days it was fine. There are cruise ships that pull up to the dock right next door each morning. On our last day, the ship pulled so close, we didn't have much of a view. It didn't bother us though. The drinks were great and the food was just okay. The location is nice - not too far from downtown. I think it was about a 30-minute walk. My biggest complaint is the public restrooms by the pool... they're Extremely slippery and I fell very hard. People track in a lot of water and the floors looks like marble or a slick tile so be careful. The Mayan Show was very nice. Unfrortunatley, they don't have free wi-fi (not even in the lobby). This hotel is a good place for families. Overall, we had a great time.

Room Tip: Ocean front for sure.
1  Thank Sher D
Reviewed October 1, 2013

THINGS THAT I LIKED:
1. The view from top floors is amazing! I stayed on room 2905 and it has an incredible view.
2. The staff (except from the people at reception) was so gentle and friendly.
3. They have a decent red and white wine.
4. Micheladas and Piñas Coladas are great!
5. Everything was SO CLEAN!
6. They have 2 specialty restaurants, Mexican and Italian, the italian is better and they have such great service! we went there to participate at the Ironman 70.3 and they accommodate to prepare boiled potatoes for us and altought sometimes we were late to make a reservation they kept us on a waiting list in case anyone would cancel so they could accommodate and provide us with the service. Nevertheless when we had to dinner at the buffet, the food was also good, they have healthy choices and the taste is great.
7. They provide great service to Ironman competitors
8. The beach area was great, they have 2 pools, 2 bars and the artificial beach, in which you can snorkel! there are a LOT of fishes there, you can even see the fish standing at the shore.
9. They borrow you the snorkel equipment if you don't have one. It is not super clean but you already know this.

THINGS THAT I DID NOT LIKE:
1. You can hear EVERYTHING inside your room, pretty thin walls. You hear the neighboors, the people on the corridor, etc.
2. They did not provide us with a welcome cocktail, this is my first all inclusive that doesn't provide a welcome cocktail.
3. No room service
4. They doesn't have min-bar in the room!!! This is the first all inclusive hotel I've been that does not offer mini bar in the room.
5. It bothered me a great deal that from 3 to 6:30pm there is no food available to eat. Only pizza, hot-dogs and hamburgers. All of the things I don't eat, go figure, me participating at an ironman race and eating that junk? don't think so! I end up taking fruit from breakfast to store in my room to eat something at 5 (that's when I have my second meal of the day).
6. No Wi-Fi. I still don't understand why is not included, and if you want to use internet they charge 100 usd for 5 days!!! are you kidding me?
7. Reception staff was extremely unfriendly! Did not like them at all! Nevertheless the bell boys are very friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms on floors 6 to 9 have better views. Any room on those floors.
4  Thank Dey M
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Still a wonderful trip and a great time for our annual trip to Cozumel! Beautiful hotel, that is spotless and you are waited on hand and foot by employes that have been there for years.It is very comforting to know that the only changes there is, are for the better. We find that Park Royal is always striving to hear how they can better serve their customers in any way. I did feel they have even improved the food at the buffet and both the restaurants. We enjoyed some fork tender beef and always the coconut grouper in both restaurants.

Room Tip: We always ask a room in the tower. Because we enjoy looking out at the beautiful water and get a bir...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends