“Good Trip” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Cozumel
Dallas, Texas
“Good Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We traveled here with another couple. Check in was smooth, drinks ready upon arrival. We were given a room on 9th floor... the other couple was given one on the 3rd. The view on the upper floor was fantastic and really made for an overall better experience. This would be my number one recommendation.

Buffett was average, beach was small, restaurants good... for the price it is hard to beat. People have been complaining that drinks were watered down. For those that have never been to an all inclusive this is the norm.. The solution, ask for specific types of liquor in your drink. You want a rum and coke, say "captain and coke" Otherwise, they pull the cheap/watered down stuff from under bar.

We would return if traveling to Cozumel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DFD85

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (767)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Our time with Park Royal was compliments of a Living Social "Four-Night Stay for Two in a Deluxe Ocean View Room."

ROOM
We had room 2808. Really nice place. The room was nice. Large towels, good water pressure, awesome view. The elevators are fast and plentiful. The landscaping was unbelievable... like a scene from a movie.

FOOD
Buffet was actually very nice. The staff was super attentive and always welcoming. A ridiculous variety of food. I ate more than I normally would simply because there was so much to choose from... literally several dozen options at every meal... and it varied from day to day. Admittedly, as is the case with buffets in general, some of the stuff that was supposed to be 'hot'; wasn't. I can live with that. I also ate in the Italian restaurant one night and it was very good. The atmosphere is mellow and romantic. We were going to try and get in another night but we forgot to make reservations and there were no openings. The non-buffet restaurant options, one Mexican and one Italian, are small and have a far fewer tables so you really need to be sure and reserve a table.

BEACH
The beach area is very, very nice. The photos people share attest to this. Many places to cool off and get wet. Everything from a couple of infinity pools to a couple of Jacuzzi tubs (whirlpool baths, not 'hot tubs'. They are NOT heated.) and of course, the lovely sea. The beach is great. Fish greet you when you are knee deep. When I say 'greet' I mean they are swimming between your legs and bumping against you almost immediately. There were many very cool sea creatures to observe and depending on the time of day we saw different things... morning was best, before too many others get in the water. Some of the cooler looking creatures are apparently more shy. There are also a couple of bars and food options (nachos, cheeseburgers, etc) on the water too. Last thing I'll mention about the oceanfront at this property is the water sports available. There is a business operating right next door that does all the snorkel and diving things you would expect on Cozumel and they are price competitive with the other island businesses. Had I known this ahead of time, I would not have pre-booked stuff from other places on the island and simply, for convenience sake, used these guys. For example, they have a 3 reef snorkel trip that leave right from the property that was like $65. You can rent snorkeling gear from them for $10 a day or use it each day, checked out an hour at a time, for free.

FINAL REMARKS
I'm sure there is more I could write but I'll leave with these final remarks... we have never done the 'all-inclusive' thing before... seemed too stifling for our travel style. That said, Park Royal in Cozumel was a great first experience. Although it has a 'membership'/timeshare component, we never felt like second-class citizens. We were greeted warmly everywhere we went and catered to as though we had been there a million times. We would go back in a heartbeat and are already planning a return. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Higher is better... of course.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AlejandroMadera
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We recently were on the freedom of the seas cruise ship and. Our last port of call was cozumel ,
Rather than go back to Orlando then return to cancun we decided to leave the ship and booked in to the park royal which was a short walk from the dock .
When we booked in we were made very welcome and had a very clean and comfortable room which had a great sea view of the hotel and ship .
The private beach and infinity pool was excellent with great views of the ships docked at the port ,I would highly recomend this hotel to anyone for its quality and locality , we continued on to the locally ferry after 2 nights which was a short trip to playa del carmen
Jim gems

Room Tip: Would recomend a room with a sea view preferably on a high floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This was my first time staying at this resort through RCI on my parents timeshare. From previous experiences of staying in all inclusive resorts in the Riviera Maya and Cancun, this resort was not my expectations of what an all inclusive resort would entail. The first surprise is that the resort was not located on the same side of the ocean, rather, you have to take a tunnel underground to get to the pool and dock location, but I soon realized, Cozumel doesn't have a lot of real estate for beaches at any of the resorts. Due to the hotel being only a hotel and offering three restaurant options, we found ourselves venturing out more than staying at the all inclusive. However, the all inclusive fees are significantly cheaper than most resorts so what I paid for the stay was comparable to what I received.

The rooms were clean and standard, however, I will note if you want ocean view, all the hotel rooms offer is a view facing the side of the ocean with the street in between. Noise of the street is something we were made aware that even on the 6th floor you could hear.

Staff were friendly and nice, however, if you had to dispute anything it seemed like it was more of a hassle to the staff versus reconciling immediately. Also, like all reviews stated wifi costs and you are required to purchase from a vending machine a calling card with a code that only allows 24 hours access. So if you require wifi while on vacation, you might consider factor in $15 a day for wifi or finding a coffee shop to utilize.

Overall, I would rate average on food, entertainment, and facilties. Again, this was off season, so in season I am sure is completely different.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank RMc94
Caney, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My husband and I joined my brother and his wife on a honeymoon trip. Our 4 parents and cousin came along as well. The hotel was amazing. Our room's were kept up nicely. Buffet was decent. We ate one night in the Italian restaurant and it was wonderful. The beach area is very small, but we snorkeled and saw some neat fish. We payed for a snorkel excursion and it was fabulous! I enjoyed seeing the cruise ships dock from our beach area. We rented a jeep and went to the other side of the island and had a beach massage and ate some great food. The trip was taken mid February and they had an unusual cool spell almost the entire time we were there except for the first day and a half. We were thankful we had our sweatshirts!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rebecca H
Orange Park, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My family of 4 had another great week long stay at the Park Royal Cozumel (Aug 13 - 20th). This was our 3rd time here and this trip was just as good as the previous ones. To start off, this is the first time we tried flying into Cancun vs Cozumel. It not only saved us several hundred dollars total in air fare, but the kids (12 yrs and 3 yrs) enjoyed riding the ADO bus to Playa Del Carmen and then the ferry boat across to the island. It was easy as could be with two kids in tow and little to no Spanish speaking skills. I booked the hotel via the website and I requested adjoining rooms we received what we requested which worked out great with the kids.
We didn't go to either one of the al a cart restaurants and if we were not in town ate at the buffet every meal and had no complaints. My wife even would order a side of bacon every morning and they would bring it out to her. The activities were also good. My 3yr old went to the Kids Club a couple of times. She enjoyed the water slide, puzzles and little bracelet making station they had. My 12 yr old was always doing activities. Volleyball (beach or water) Texas Hold'em or whatever they were doing. As for my wife and I, I brought snorkel gear bought in the States with me so I spent my time in the water and she spent her time laying out at one of the 3 pools with the 3 yr old. Unfortunately it did rain 2 of the days we were there but the staff set up the large conference room with movies playing and games for teens and adults. It was better than staying in your room all day. We actually made the most of it and went into town to shop and my wife got a pedicure cheap. Needless to say we did have another relaying enjoyable stay at the Park Royal and will be back again soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BrockL
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

Ive been here twice now and have had a blast both times...well other than the rain that hindered some of our plans. The staff is always friendly and no matter where you turn there is access to food or drink..The hotel was remodeled back in 2007 or so and they did a good job. Looks very updated. You cant beat All-Inclusive

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple