“so much fun”

Grand Park Royal Cozumel
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed May 2, 2013

the Park Royal is the perfect getaway. We had a group of 21 people and we all had so much fun. It was hard getting tables in the restaurant for that many people but they worked with us and we usually got 10 together without a problem. The grounds and pools are lovely and well maintained. The service is excellent at all the restaruants and bars. The only thing that needs to be improved is the quality of the mattresses; they are hard so I didn't get a good nights sleep until I got home. The bathroom lighting isn;t the best either but other than that, it's all good. I can't wait to go back again.

Room Tip: splurge and get the ocean view rooms.....the water is mesmerizing
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SweetieLeagueCity_TX
Write a ReviewReviews (4,224)

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Overall the hotel was good. There were a couple of things that could have been better. The Wi-Fi was not free and neither was the safe ($2.00 a day). Also the dive shop only lends you snorkel equipment for one hour anything after that you have to pay for. The wife and i love the beach to snorkel as you were able to see lots of beautiful fish however bring water shoes. There are lots of rocks in the water especially as you walk deeper in. The pools are all nice there are three, the one we used the most was the main pool by the buffet restaurant, it had lots of shades and chairs. The other two are more open to sun bathe.

The restaurants in the hotel were good. There are two specialty restaurants, Mexican and Italian. If we had to choose we would say the Italian provides a better meal and more options.. The hotel grounds are kept very clean and the rooms are kept clean as well. The ride into town was worth it for eight dollars; the taxi in the hotel will take you there. If you want to venture out for dinner do try la perlita seafood restaurant in town the prices are great and the food was delicious. I would also recommend la caletita del tio Jose for a cheap, relaxing lunch and drinks (example a bucket of 5 coronas and wings for ten dollars). This open air restaurant sits next to the ocean, not far from the park royal but don't walk it on a hot day, I learned.

For a clean, friendly and affordable trip, we would absolutely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lalo M
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My wife and I just spent a week in Cozumel. April 18th to the 24th 2013. It was our second stay at the Park Royal. We really love the Park Royal. Here are comments if you are considering the Park Royal for your vacation. The place is scrupulously clean. Everywhere you look someone is doing maintenance. All of the employees are constantly smiling and greeting you. All the rooms have a balcony with a beautiful water views. Rooms on the fifth floor and below may be obstructed because of the profusion of trees and foliage. The room maids really do a marvelous job of cleaning and bed making everyday. The bathrooms are spacious and nicely equipped with granite and tile. There is never a lack of towels and wash cloths. The Main building complex, as I recall, has three 10 story buildings in a U-shape with a large meandering pool in the center, which has a snack shop and a swim up bar here as well as a another pool complex with snack shop and swim up bar on the Gulf of Mexico.

Food and drinks are plentiful and of very good quality. Their food is not gourmet but plentiful and fresh with many options. The waiters and service people are extremely hard-working, always smiling and treating you with great care and respect. There are two specialty restaurants one serving Mexican food and the other Italian cuisine. The town of San Miguel is very close by and has many very good quality restaurants, but we have almost never found the need for dining away from the Park Royal.

Something new is in progress in a property immediately adjacent to Park Royal. A very beautiful modern shopping mall called the Plaza Royal Village. It is brand-new and only about one third occupied at the present time. It is going to have very classy stores selling a huge variety of gifts, sporting-goods, clothing, and other stuff,. One store that that we found particularly nice is called Rosalia which specializes in handcrafted Mayan textiles. A huge assortment of very colorful handmade products at at very reasonable prices.

My wife and I are in our late 70s and because of knee and hip replacements are a little slower than we used to be, and find one troubling issue. The Park Royal's main lobby is on a level by itself. Except for checking in and checking out there is rarely the need for going to the front desk. However, there is one story of stairs to get from the ground level where the pools, restaurants, elevators etc. are located. They do have an elevator primarily for wheelchairs but it never seems to be working. It would be a blessing if they could replace this funky elevator with something that actually works. My other gripe is the lack of Internet. They have an Internet room which is operated by another entity. The use of their computers is expensive and there is only one printer available at only one of the desktop units. While trying to print my airline boarding documents I found the printer disconnected and wasted my five dollar half-hour session attempting to get the hotel's management to repair the problem. It is of course out of their hands as they must get the third party to do the work. After several hours of course it was a lost cause and we had to wait until we got to the airport to get our documents.

Room Tip: Stay above the 5th floor to take advantage of views of the Gulf of Mexico and the cruise ships at pi...
1  Thank Jerry A
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My husband and I went to the Park Royal for our 15th anniversary. We went for 4 nights/5days. The hotel was very clean. The lobby, rooms and restaurants and grounds were very well maintained. The pools looked nice but we didn't use them, we were in the ocean as much as we could be. The snorkelling right at the resort was awesome!!!!! I would take water shoes even for in the little swimming section I noticed some small glass shards in the sand while snorkelling and there are some rocks around. Better to be safe!
We don't get bothered by much, but I am adding this for those who are pickier. The cruise ships do dock beside the resort so you may have your view blocked and the noise from the ship. It didn't bother us, but it may bother some. There is a great bar at the beach and you can sit in the shade if you need to and drink and get a snack.
Food was good at the buffet. We only went to the Italian restaurant and we weren't impressed. Thought the buffet was better. Didn't make it to the Mexican though so can't comment. Drinks were really good. As much alcohol or as little as you would like. Beer was great! (Isn't it always?)
There isn't a lot to do at night. Some shows and a casino night, but it wasn't a full night of entertainment. What would make it better would be to have more seating in the open air areas so people can enjoy the evening outside with a drink rather than waiting for someone else to leave so you can get a chair.
A small safety concern is the walkways. They are beautiful looking but very uneven natural stone. Ok if you are wearing flats which I did most of the days but a few nights I wore wedge sandals and went over on my ankles a few times. So if you do have trouble walking it may be difficult. Now to get up to the lobby there is a rather steep set of stairs. The good thing is there is a lift available but it looked like it took a long time.
Service in the buffet at the table was a bit slow. But bar service was always quick.
No real shopping right at the site. You had to walk just outside the resort but it was more of a true shopping centre but not open at night. They had a small store for toiletries but no shops on site to browse for jewellry or "just stuff".
When you get picked up at the airport, and if you want to do any excursions, make sure you go to the person who brought you deal with that person. If someone else approaches you at the hotel in the lobby, chances are they are with time share.
Overall, it was a lovely trip to Cozumel. WE LOVE COZUMEL!!! We rented a Jeep from the place next door and they went out of their way to help. Drive the island!!!!! We snorkelled a lot!!! We walked to town one day it took about 40 minutes and it was very sunny so remember to take your sunscreen. We took a cab back.
If you use a CPAP machine and it is new, you may need a surge protector. My husband uses one of these and it didn't work from the fluctuation of Hertz. His old CPAP was fine in Cozumel last time but we didn't know what the problem was and luckily he figured it out and he bought a surge protector at Megamart. It was a lifesaver!!!!
It was a good hotel for the time we were there. If I was planning a longer stay would try another hotel, but we like to try different hotels anyhow. I would recommend it for a nice getaway!! Cozumel is a wonderful place and it was our 3rd time there and for sure not the last!!!!!

4  Thank Hummingbird33
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised with Park Royal. Tastefully appointed resort with lots of Mayan themed art throughout. The grounds were beautifully laid out and tended daily. The 3 pools were always sparkling and each has a swim up bar one of which opens at 10 AM. The liquor was good quality...no drinks made with grain alcohol here. The size was also perfect. I've stayed at the Moon Palace and I'd say that I got very close to the same experience, but without needing a golf cart to get from my room to the pool or restaurant. The food was edible and definitely not the worst food I've encountered in an All Inclusive resort. The beds are hard, but that seems to be a thing all over Mexico. The front desk may have some egg crate foam or something to add a little give to the beds, but I didn't ask.

Basically, it's a great resort whether you're coming to Cozumel to dive, snorkel or just hang by the pool. Oh and SPF 30 is NOT enough to counter the Cozumel sunshine. I used SPF 50 on a tattoo and even that still tanned while the rest of me got SPF 30 and a little pink.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank IsBatty
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This resort was beautiful and arguably the nicest one on the island. There are three pool bars, a couple of restaurants, and a small beach area. There are also so many activities going on throughout the day that you don't even have to leave the resort if you don't want to. The food was included and it was okay, but I wouldn't give it 5-stars. I would, however, give their guacamole 5-stars! Even on nights that they didn't have guacamole, I'd ask a waiter to bring me some from the kitchen. The only downside to this trip was that I had my phone stolen from our room. It seemed very planned out but at the same time it was a crime of opportunity - I didn't buy the safe (only $2/day) and I left my phone right out in the open. The night before we were scheduled to check out, we went to dinner and came back to find my phone missing from the night stand and the charger thrown on the bed. We called security & talked w/ management, but neither were very helpful. Even with this experience, however, I would go back to this resort - except this time I would shell out the $2/day for the safe and not leave any of my valuables out in the open. It's a large resort and I feel like there are probably a handful of bad apples, but if you're more cautious than I was, you'll be fine.

Another item to note, there is WIFI internet access, but it is NOT free. When I visited, internet access was $10/hr or you can pay for one day or one week at a time. I think the one week price was $80. The fitness center is also not free, but I did not pay to check it out myself.

Lastly, if you venture out to go shopping downtown, NEVER accept the first price. Try knocking the price in half, then negotiating from there. Better yet, negotiate as low as they'll go, then start to walk away, the price is sure to get even lower. And, even if they let you go, there will probably be another shop two doors down with the exact same item!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in building #1 - it has bigger and better showers.
1  Thank Kat G
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My wife and I booked this April Vacation from 4-15-13 through 4-20-13. We stayed in a 1 bedroom 1 living room suite. We came away relaxed, satisfied, and happy with the resort. Our bedroom had two double beds with 1 bathroom, while the living room came with a murphy bed, some couches, and another bathroom. The accommodations were spacious and clean. We also had 2 small balconies and a separate huge patio area where there were tables and a lounge bed. Housekeeping kept our room spotless while the AC made it hard to leave our beds.

The food was the most important part of our trip. The main buffet area delivered with a wide variety of themed cuisine dinners (Asian, Tex-Mex, Italian, International), while breakfast and lunch offered plenty to choose from like omelets made to order or different spiced meats cut to your delight. If you wanted a special sit down dinner where you can dress up and order from a menu, there's a Mexican and Italian restaurant where you can dine at. Make sure to reserve a table either by calling in or stopping by the restaurants from 12-3pm. Their food and presentation are mouth watering and delicious.

As for the beach and pool areas, there is a main pool with a swim up bar in the center of the resort, which was a tropical feel to it. If you're into beaches and infinity pools, you would have to walk a little further to the beach area. The beach itself is small, but it does have a corral reef where you can snorkel and look at tropical fish. If you're looking for a large beach area with lots of white sand and aggressive waves, this is not the place for you. After snorkeling, you could frequent either infinity pools or its respective jacuzzi. Each pool has its own swim up bar and a gorgeous view of the ocean, with cruise liners parked the whole day. It makes for a relaxing view while sipping on any colorful drink you could think of. While we were scouting the pools, it seemed like the pool on the left, closer to the cruise ships, was the calmer family oriented pool while the pool on the right, was the party pool for the younger crowd.

All in all, we had a great time. The food, drinks, and service were top notch. We couldn't complain, well except for the snack bar, which had terrible burgers. Otherwise, this resort delivers on the food, fun, snorkeling, and relaxation.