This was my second time at PRC and the things I loved most about this resort the first time were still excellent: super clean every thing, amazing, accommodating and very sweet staff, a wonderful beachfront set up with multiple level decks and fantastic snorkeling right off the little beach! (saw an eagle ray this time but the resident eel had moved on this year.)
The rooms are spacious, have lots of closet space and shelving to store your things, a large vanity counter top and each room has a small balcony with 2 chairs and a little table you can sit out on or hang your wet clothing on the chairs to dry. The showers are large and have great water pressure, there were several times that I found the water too hot almost for me, so no problems with hot water here, perhaps I was showering at off hours and thus got so much hot water - 5pm/8pm/11pm. TV's are older but works just fine to watch lots of movies in Spanish and English, there was always a good selection of movies on at all times of the day and night, I enjoyed watching some movies I had already seen in Espanol - tried to retain a little of the language. As there isn't much to do in the evenings, if you stay on the resort your best bet is just to hang out in your room and watch tv and just relax. Or do what we did a lot and go out and explore - walk along the water on the nice big sidewalks and stop in at places like La Hach (15 min walk away) for a great drink.
The not so great things in my opinion - no little bar fridges in the rooms - I prefer cold water to drink but I survived. They don't want you to have any food or drink brought into the rooms so probably why no fridges - we still brought some cocktails back to the room but when we were done we were nice enough to rise the cups out before putting them in the garbage. The La Veranda buffet at dinner is something to be desired, I'm not a picky eater and I honestly had a hard time finding something that tasted ok to eat other then salad at the dinner buffet, it was pretty bad - especially anything pasta based - always mushy and the sauces have no taste. The soups are the only good things that are a safe bet. I ate dinner at the buffet one night, then ate dinner off the resort 4 nights of the week and 2 nights never had dinner at all and went to bed on an empty stomach waiting to have a good big breakfast (breakfast options are wonderful here).
The beach and pool grills are ok, the chicken burgers taste like McD's McChicken so I can only imagine what is in them but I preferred them over the hamburgers which I found really greasy. The grill guys were fast and polite though so can't complain about the service. Nachos with Pico de Gallo and some pickled jalapeno's were a good snack with Jamimica and carrot sticks.
The location of this resort is great, close to a lot of the dive piers, some beach bars, restaurants, OXXO convenience stores and it's only a good hours walk right into the centre of San Miguel. It's about a 35-40 minute walk to the Mega (Mexican Walmart near Punta Lagusta). There is always something to look at on the walk and I noticed this year that in the evening around 6pm all the locals and expats have taken up jogging, whether it be the influence of the Cozumel Ironman or North American culture to be healthy and live longer I noticed a lot more locals getting active this year which is great, speed walking with their dogs, jogging couples, etc. I speed walked almost every evening either to have the goal of getting downtown or just feeling the ocean breeze and taking in the culture and sites.
Overall Park Royal is a great all inclusive if your looking for a very clean beautifully maintained resort with wonderful staff, a great snorkeling area, great pool bars and pools to cool off and really nice spacious rooms. Everything at this resort is quick to get to, it's not spread out like some of the giant resorts in Riviera Maya or Punta Cana. Just make sure to have good walking sandals and shoes - would highly recommend no heals, all the paths around the resort are made of coral reef rock so it's uneven and it's like hiking rocky trails in some areas. I met 3 people during the week that had all twisted their foot or ankle and were limping. Be careful! Also bring water shoes to go in the water if you want to venture out in the deep area snorkeling or swimming - lots of coral rock or just start swimming and don't touch down to avoid any sharp rock pieces.
Although this review is getting long! (sorry) I want to mention during the day the pools down at the beach can get a little rowdy with vacationers getting their drink on. It is usually fun and not over the top and the music wasn't too loud and was a good selection. A lot of people like to chat once they have had a few drinks. Met a lot of people this way. By 4 or 5pm the pools clear out because it gets cooler. If your an early riser like me, first thing in the morning is perfect if you really want to swim in the pools or snorkel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Turquoise - often crystal clear waters -are just offshore. Beneath the surface are breathtaking reefs to attract undersea divers (and fantastic undersea life) from around the world and the Grand Park Royal Cozumel is in the center of it all. The leading All-inclusive on the island welcomes guests to 342 spacious guest rooms each with balcony overlooking the finest corner of the Caribbean. All inclusive, unlimited meals, drinks, snacks, 4 restaurants, buffet style and a la carte, 2 snacks, Café Sole (coffee house), 5 bars, room service 24 hours, in room mini-bar that is restocked daily, high-speed internet access (surcharge) or basic free internet, live entertainment, kids' club (0 -12 years old), fully equipped fitness center ($), spa, 3 resort swimming pool (including 2 infinity pools, main pool & kids club pool with water slides) and two Jacuzzis facing the ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Park Royal Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Park Royal Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Park Royal Hotel Cozumel
- Park Royal Cozumel Mexico