“Clean resort with friendly help”

Grand Park Royal Cozumel
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just spent he week of 11/1/ through 11/8/2012. We had two Presidential suites reserved due to points. The only disappointment was that only one room was provided above the 4th floor with an ocean view. When we questioned this, were referred to member services, where a lady says, "I know, I know - everyone wants above the 4th floor. if your traveling companions are that good of friends - give them your room on the 7th floor". I understand that there are limited rooms/suites available, however, for the use of the 40,000 points, it would be nice to feel that there are some considerations due to members.

That was the only complaint, the staff was very nice, one room had a nice view, the food was better than anticipated based upon comments, and there was a variety of liquor. Ronaldo was very accommodating at the pool bars. The diving was outstanding, and we would come back with no hesitation. Renting a jeep to swim in the ocean and see the quaint bars on the other side of the island was a must.

Room Tip: As everyone knows by seeing this site, if you are to have an actual "ocean view", you need...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (4,224)

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Flew into cozumel airport, waited 3 hours in line to go through imigration.. there was 5-7 planes all arrived at similiar time, 1 staff working at desk, then a 2nd was added about 1 hour into wait, NOT ACCEPTABLE.. they have 6 stations, all shouldve been opened..

we watched in line as they threw\dropped our luggage off cart, onto ground, then hd security dog step on luggage... NEVER seen this before...
so we wasted 3 hours of our first day waiting in line, and our resort was only 10 min taxis drive from airport

Visited this resort from Nov 3-10th, 2012..

had several issue during my stay, and found out from others, they had issues as welll..safe I dont believe are safe at all.. several people I spoke with couldnt get into safe, as E-Code appeared.. they had to come reset.. $400 went missing from my safe, Manager said it was impossible, and that he would investigate, and for me to fill out police report..

girl at front desk said if the room is too cold from air conditioner running, it could cause issue with safe, or if I punched in numbers to fast it would lock me out.. msg was hold 15, while it did a 15 min count down, I retried, didnt work, had to have security come reset it again..

Static on phone line, it was fixed. key to room wouldnt work, had to get it replaced, breaker tripped, and no lights or power, had to have it reset.

Food was Good, Entertainment was Good...
Very quiet resort, no dance club' dj nightly..
paid for safe.. WTF..

Manager didnt do anything for us.. with everything I experienced the manager did absolutely NOTHING to make me want to ever go back to Park Royal

I've travelled to Mexico 5 times now, def would not return to this resort..

Didnt feel my belongings were protected, and nothing was done to fix loss of $$$..

I did my best not to stress and ruin my vacation, but with $400 less, it made it difficult to do much, or cause my friends stress..

The restaurant staff, bar staff, restaurant staff were all VERY nice..

Playa Del Carmen or Cancun, Mayan Riviera, I would reccomend..

Cozumel really messed up with Airport , and Park Royal Resort...

Room Tip: Wouldnt go back, so cant reccomend
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Larry S
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We are Time Share owners.. and This is by far the nicest Resort we have stayed at thru Royal Holiday. Obviously it was remodeled and rebuilt after Hurricane Wilma. We stayed for one week Oct 20-27th. We reserved two Ambassador rooms, which could not be together, in fact the rooms were pretty far apart.. We were on the 9th floor, with excellent views, friends were on 4th floor, with a little but of view..At first were were not happy about being so far away from each other, but ended up not being an issue/. Rooms are HUGE. We probably could have stayed in one room, still having enough privacy and 2 bathrooms. Very nice rooms, beautiful tile work. Many people complained about "hard" beds, Although we are used soft bed at home, this was still not issue. All employees were very helpful, pleasant and hard working.. We honestly do not have many complaints and actually have to work hard to come up with some..They do turn off hall lights at night to conserve energy, so that took some getting use to..But we survived that too. It is the Time Share people that consistantly seem to have a problem being honest and truthful.(long story) So my advise regarding this is you need to demand HONESTY from them and get everything in writing, and remember they can NOT keep on time if there lives depended upon it..These time share people pretty much left us alone since were are already owners.. There are a couple of advantages in being a time share owner, you get nicer rooms with better views, don;t have to pay for the use of the safe. You still have to pay for internet. But come on people you are on VACATION. Do you really NEED the internet, when there is so much to do there...The landscape and grounds are beautiful and we had NO problems with food.In fact we actually loved all the food. I guess we are not picky and feel grateful to even have opportunity to travel and vacation in these tough times.. Our guys went deep sea fishing and the LaVeranda cooked up all our fish for us with a very beautiful presentation. We felt everyone went out of their way to serve you and make you happy. The entertainment is not very good, but it was free.We just left. Our favorite thing on the island was the Kaokao Chocolate Factory tour.The owner/guide was EXCELLENT and thoroughly entertaining.,. Hard to find, but worth it. Second favorite was going to XPLOR on Cancun. That was excellent. Snorkeling was not as good as we thought it would be, but only did it at our beach and another resort beach..Probably needed to do a snorkeling tour to see more.We spent alot of time at the pools facing the ocean.. So beautiful. Their "hot" tubs are NOT hot, but the views are excellent.We never felt unsafe anywhere we went and never got "ripped off".
We like Cancun a little better, since we feel there is more to do there, than in Cozumel. But still a great vacation and very beautiful

Room Tip: If you want a view ask for 6th floor or above.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank tmend
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I purchased 8 day stay, paid for additional oceanview room with king size bed. When we arrived, we got a room with a view of a giant tree blocking the view of the ocean. Informed by front desk that I would be on a waiting list for a king size bed, and my room was considered ocean view. Ended up staying in that room the entire trip. Although most of the staff were pleasant and helpful, I found some quite the opposite. I asked the front desk person to switch my bracelet from one wrist to the other, she wouldn't do it, telling me to come back later, when I asked the next guy he did it no problem. Not sure what the big deal would be. Paid $79 for the week for internet service. What a joke that is, it barely worked, total waste of money. Also, we had to pay $2 a day for the safe in the room. I know it's not a lot of money but I go away quite often, at least 3 times a year, I've never, ever paid for the safe in the room. Then when I went to pay, it wasnt $16, it was over $20. The explanation was related to the exchange rate. They charge you one US dollar if you call a local cell phone. They charged you 70 cents for local call. Finally, the time share sales people were a bit annoying and overwhelming the first few days, but once they realized you've been there a while, they kinda left ya alone.

So my account of this resort is that although it's a good value, they try to squeeze every last penny out of you. If you pay for a service, you should get it, but they were not accountable for any issues that were presented. VERY FRUSTRATING

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank katz3nme
Reviewed October 27, 2012

we have enjoyed this beautiful resort, lovely grounds with pools and swim up bars, very friendly staff, and it is immaculate. But, we couldn't have our local friendly yoga teacher come to give us a one hour class in our room. They said it was for "security reasons" , but it actually was just about money, since she could come if we bought her a day pass for $63, pretty heftly price for a one hour visit! The manager, Pedro, was unmoved by any reasonable request. So don't plan on having any visitor to your room if you stay here. Also there is music blaring from speakers at all 3 of the pools, it would be nice if there was one place that was peaceful and quiet

Room Tip: 5th to 9th floor have the best views
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The Park Royal is a very comfortable place for me. Our second visit just reaffirmed what I felt on my first visit. We stayed in a tower room and loved it. The food in the buffet was very impressive with a good variety and the Italian and Mexican restaurants were pretty good. The drink service is made especially good by people like Louis aka oakie-doakey, 26 years experience. With the exception of the time share salesmen everyone we spoke to from the front desk to the housekeeping were great and seemed genuinely motivated to make our stay pleasant. To be honest the salesmen weren't very aggressive and a single no thank you was enough. On our first visit there was free wi-fi in the lobby. That was nice and something I missed on the second visit. Wi-fi is still available but at a cost. The snorkeling seemed somewhat better with more fish and coral coming back in. The pools aren't heated and were much warmer in June than December, go figure. Who would have thought. Did leave the resort for several visits around the island but I won't go into detail here but always a good time and very safe. Have booked another visit and will be there in Feb 2013, not counting down days yet but looking forward to it. Semper Fi.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Don F
Reviewed October 23, 2012

i was lucky enough to get in on a super deal to stay at the park royal resort on the island of cozumel recently. this resort is in great condition and the rooms were of 5 star quality. i enjoyed the variety of food at the buffet and have absolutely no complaints about the quality of the food what so ever. i also had two very nice meals at the italian a la carte rest. the resort is a very nice size and found it to be not too big and not too small. there is a very well kept small beach area and has two pools on the water front besides the main pool in the middle of the grounds. the service was quite good and everyone was friendly and helpful. the only two things i would say could add to the resort is for them to have an "adults only" area. there were a lot of small children around and it would be great if the adults without kids could have a place to get away from them for awhile. i also would like to see a higher quality of nighttime shows. this for me was pretty minor but to be honest, compared to shows i have seen elsewhere, these fell far short. i would definitely recommend staying here if you have the chance. it would be great if it was closer to the town center but it is only an $8 taxi ride away. and if you are into scuba diving, you have the del mar dive shop right across the street. if i had the option i would rate this a solid 4.5 star property.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo