“Great Place to stay”

Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Great Place to stay”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

Really nice all inclusive, staff was great, very hardworking and polite.room was large and modern. For a all inclusive buffet was good, nice variety and the Italian and Mexican reservation required places where good also. Bartenders at the 2 bars by the ocean where incredible, top shelf if you wanted it. when you walk under the tunnel to get to the very small beach the pool and bar on the right side is the place to relax, the pool on the left is the party side. Each person gets 1 hour free snorkel gear per day and that is nice right off the beach, as others have stated the beach is VERY small, so that may be a turnoff for some. The 2 infinity pools and the main one by the buffet place are very nice though. Within easy walking distance to a shopping area where the cruise ships dock, any one can go there, went to San Miguel once it was ok lots of shops with the same thing pretty much, prices slightly cheaper than the cruise ship place. The only negative thing I can say about the place is you had to get up early and I mean early to put a towel or something on a chair by the ocean to make sure you had one, place was almost full when we where there if you went down after 8:00 a.m. no chance to get a chair anywhere by the ocean. No real desire to go back to Cozumel, it is a very nice place but if you are not into scuba not a lot to do, but would stay here again for sure, felt safe the whole trip also kind of nervous about going to Mexico but had no problems at all

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (898)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 4, 2011

We recently got married in Cozumel through Cozumel Wedding Planner (if you're looking to get married in Cozumel, accept no substitute) and wanted to find a great hotel for a big mix of folks. We had about 50 in our group ranging from families with small kids to young adults looking for some fun at night. We had stayed at the Park Royal before and had always enjoyed our stay, so we decided to pick it for our big group. Afterwards, we couldn't have been happier with our choice.

The Good:
-Hotel was the perfect size (not too big/not too small) to allow friends and family to do their own thing when they wanted to (two separate infinity pools on the water with swim-up bars, kiddy pool, and separate gigantic pool, two fine dining restaurants, big buffet area, etc.) and easy enough to run into people at night when you wanted to grab a drink with friends and family.
-Staff is super friendly and super helpful. Our entire diverse group unanimously felt taken care of with all of the great people they have across the resort.
-All of the rooms are ocean facing! As long as you're not on the first two floors, the views are spectacular. They are all ocean facing and all have balconies. Everyone in our group loved them. They don't have refrigerators or bath tubs though, so beware.
-Rosalia, our group coordinator, was super helpful in helping us get everything together leading up to the trip. She was responsive and always seemed to be on top of things, including calling the US when needing to.
-Great shows and performances in the outdoor theater for kids and families.
-The buffet is actually REALLY good for a buffet. The dinner menus change nightly to different themes and the breakfast and lunch options are always solid and reliable.
-Hotel is close enough for a long walk downtown (we've always felt very safe doing this night or day in Cozumel). It's about a $5 or $7 cab ride if you'd prefer.

The Bad:
-The fine dining restaurants are hit and miss. The Mexican dishes were frequently cold and the reaction from the group was kind of mixed on the food quality. The Italian restaurant seemed a bit more reliable, but not by much.
-Liquor selection isn't of the highest quality. Last time we were there they had more traditional liquor options (bicardi, jack daniels, etc.), but most of the selections this time were unrecognizable Mexican options.
-Having our guests book their rooms was a bit of a nightmare. They didn't have a 1-800 number and with a group, you can't book through Expedia, Travelocity, etc. because you're getting a group rate for everyone to benefit from. The only option was to have folks fax or e-mail copies of their credit cards/licenses/etc. which most were not comfortable with OR wire the money, which is a bit pricey depending on your bank. On top of that, they were REALLY picky about signatures matching (your license versus your credit card versus your application). A lot of folks had to fax their info multiple times, which again, they weren't comfortable with. A bit of a pain. I hope they get an 800 number soon or figure out something more convenient.

At any rate, if you're going to Cozumel with a big group in mind, if you can get past some of the pain in getting everyone booked, this is a fantastic hotel for a group. Everyone loved their experience here, perfect sized hotel, great amenities, very family friendly, very good for young adults, and the group rates were meaningful. If we had to do it again, we'd stick with the Park Royal.

Room Tip: The higher the room the better! Ask for it!
  • Stayed April 2011
1 Thank ethogy
California
Reviewed May 1, 2011

Like many I was apprehensive based on several reviews I read, but was really pleasantly surprised.
The Good
1. Great Weather
2. Resort staff kept everything cleaned continuously
7. Large pool area
8. Relaxing atmosphere
9. The Tequilla Factory Tour
Not So Good
1. Small beach area and chairs but was able to get a spot everyday except the first day
2. Smal beds
3. Nightly entertainment was okay but not very elaborate like many others I have seen
4. Beach chairs are hard
5. The walkways are almost like cobblestone and at times difficult to manuever. I only wore my heels to dinner one night because I didn't want to fall.
6. You may tire of seeing one cruise ship after another. We were glad they did not block our ocean view.
Overall, a very pleasant resort I would return to. Thank you Park Royal!

1 Thank traveltime00
Sherwood, Arkansas
Reviewed April 30, 2011

This was our third trip to Cozumel and first to Park Royal. The hotel staff worked very hard and seemed to have a genuine concern for the guest.
We were one of the lucky guest that were put in a room close to the banging pipes. The first day they started around 5:00pm but stopped by 9:00. The second night they started around 5:00 but never stopped. Finally around 4:30am I made a trip to the front desk to request a different room. I was called within 30 minutes to exchange keys and they offered to help with luggage. In the process of gaining peace and quite we lost our hot water. This new room was one floor up and It finally dawned on me, on the flight home, that the banging noise must have been the hot water trying to climb up:-)
Pillows in second room had a pretty bad odor too. We didn't complain about any of the new issues. We just looked forward to being out during the day and going home.
The Italian restaurant and snack-bars were great, most buffet food seemed like left overs.
Beach was great for Snorkeling.
It would appear that the local employees are at the mercy of upper management to correct the plumbing issues.

2 Thank sherwood121
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 27, 2011

I'm not going to waste your time or mine explaining step-by-step why this Hotel was so bad. It would take far too long. Please, do not read too deeply into the reviews for this hotel... they are clearly being written by people who want people to come. Not sure if it's the hotel or travel agents, but it's a bunch of B.S. none the less. Very little of what we read was true. I am warning you now, you will be greatly disappointed with your stay and will regret staying here. I wish I had read a review like this before we booked it.

The Bad:

(1) I have never experienced such a low level of customer service at any hotel I've ever stayed at - this includes motels. They go out of their way to NOT help if you have an issue and act like they are doing you a great favor by letting you stay at their hotel. You will feel abandoned very soon after arriving. Just hope you don't have any issues, they will be ignored.

(2) This hotel IS NOT ON THE BEACH. The beach is a three minute walk from your room. You must go under a bridge and across the street to get there. When you arrive, you will see that it is pathetically small. I've never seen such a small beach. It is about 21/2 ft. deep and is filled with sharp rocks. Sounds like a great place to swim! If your still going to stay there BRING AQUA-SOCKS.

(3) The food was absolutely horrid. Everyday, the meat from the previous day was recycled into another meal. We actually had spaghetti and "chipotle" meatballs one day. HAHAHA, I'm not even joking. We weren't sure what we were eating half the time and we ate outside the hotel almost every day. Were really not that picky but really, if I were the chef there, I would find another profession.

(4) The rooms have adjoining doors between them. You can actually see the people in the next room when walking by. If the TV is on, it sounds like WWII is happening in your room. Keep in mind, I am only 30 years old, but don't we go on vacation to rest? I couldn't sleep due to the noise on two different nights. Oh, and don't bother asking for another room. They always seem to be at 100% capacity and WILL NOT MOVE YOU. Don't bother complaining about it, they'll just stare at you until you leave.

(5) Do you like hot water? Well, the Park Royal didn't have any when we were there. When we asked when it would be fixed, they said "That happens sometimes, we may be able to fix it sometime soon". Really? Is that the best response you can give an unsatisfied customer? At least lie to them, C'mon! It was never fixed.

(6) Their activities are a complete joke. We wen't to casino night and when we arrived to get our pre-alloted chips, they said "were out". That is, "were out", not "sorry, we ran out and are getting more", but "were out". Get used to this kind of customer service if you stay at the Park Royal.

(7) Do you want a time share? I sure hope so, cause their going to do their best to get you into one TODAY! Countless times, we asked about a jeep rental and they refused to give us an answer until we went on a 90 minute time share presentation. We ended up having to go across the street to rent a jeep. What a bunch of idiots.

(8) This one is kind of nit-picking, but whatever, it bothered us. There are approximately 15 umbrellas in the entire beach and pool area. There are about 150 people in this area at all times. You are not going to get an umbrella, so if you're sunburnt, get ready to make it worse! We left over a week ago and I'm still hurting.

(9) Lastly, if work-out, get ready to pay $5.00 every time you want to go. I guess they don't understand the concept of "all inclusive". It's not a lot of money, but it's this kind of nickle-and-diming that really gets on my nerves. Oh, don't forget, you need to walk all the way up two flights of stairs, pay for the gym in reception and then go down two flights of stairs, around the resort and to the gym. Pretty efficient huh?

The Good:

(1) The place is actually pretty and well kept.
(2) The pool area is nice and the bar staff there was pretty friendly.
(3) It's easy to leave and go into town

Sorry... but that's about all I can say about what is good with this hotel.

Good luck finding a place in Cozumel to stay. But PLEASE, PLEASE, DONT STAY HERE. You will regret it. Try one of the other 100+ hotels there...

Thanks for reading and have a great Vacation in Cozumel. What a wonderful place!

7 Thank Jimbaltimore
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed April 26, 2011

As with any hotel, there are always good and bad reviews. There is nothing wrong with Park Royal. The place is spotless, service was friendly and fast and it has a great location! You can snorkel right off the beach at Park Royal. It was wonderful. Pools were nice too. The place is large but not too large. Short walk from room to the beach, bars, restaurants and pools. Drinks were great and service at the bars were quick and friendly. I thought the food was good. Is the food as great as on a cruise? No. It's an all-inclusive people! You don't stay at an all-inclusive for the food. You can always find something at the buffet to eat. The hamburgers at the snack bars are great! We ate at the Mexican restaurant that takes reservations and it was also good. We never made it to the Italian restaurant. People complained on here of no hot water. We had plenty of hot water every time we showered. Our room was quiet and the maid service was awesome! They give you two free bottles of water in your room everyday when they come in and clean your room. Town is walkable - but a long walk. You will be pretty hot and tired by the time you get there. Take the 8 dollar Taxi ride into town. We went into town a lot and had a lot of fun shopping and eating in town. I went with my husband and another couple. We like our down time, but also like to stay up late and have a few drinks on some of the nights. Yes, this is not a nightclub atmosphere, but you make your own fun. We sat at the Choc-Mool most nights and it's outdoors and they serve drinks until midnight. Half of us smoke, therefore we liked sitting outside since we could smoke at the bar and the other couple that did not smoke, just liked being outside. If you want to drink until 2am - just walk to the SportsBar nearby and get drinks and bring them back outside. (you can't smoke in the Sports Bar)

A bunch of people complained about not having internet access in their room in the reviews. No, you can't get on the internet in your room, BUT you can in the lobby. Just bring your phone or laptop down to the lobby where there's plenty of room and get online OR you can go use a computer they have. There are about 5 computers you can use to get online. Why some people felt it was such a negative that they couldn't get online on their room, I don't know. Why are you at an all-inclusive resort in Mexico if that's all you are concerned about anyway???

If you want to go to a resort that is in a great location, has snorkleing onsite, a great beach and pools and quick bar service and a spotless resort - Park Royal is your place!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank TravelMonster71
Tampa, FL
Reviewed April 24, 2011

This was our 6th trip to Cozumel. We either have been on a cruise or mostly have been staying at El Cid just up the street from Park Royal. We stayed at Park Royal due to solicitations when we were walking to town and the music we heard coming from the resort. When we called to book in No
+vember 2010, we requested a one bedroom (extra) above 6th ofloor. We were told we would get it when we got there. I also inquired as to refrigerator in the room since I require medication that needs to be refrigerated. When we got there, we were given 3rd floor and were told all the rooms were full above that level. We like to sit out on the baloncy of our room. When we walked out on the balcony of the living room and bedroom, we were stuck in palm fronds. There were at least 12 palm trees that had grown up to the 3rd level of the hotel. We were told we'd be looking out on the garden area. We were looking out on palm fronds. Couldn't see the ground, the sky, the beach, we saw PALM FRONDS! I called the desk to ask for another room, was told I'd be put on a waiting list. When we checked in, I inquired as to a refrigerator for my medication, was told to take it to one of the restaurants, they'd put it in their refrigerator (like I'm gonna do that). Then I was told to use an ice bucket. So we ended up twice a day schlepping ice to the room to keep the medication cool. Rooms were very nice, beds were extremely hard. All inclusive had different themed nights if you wanted to eat a buffet (which was also breakfast and lunch). If you wanted a sit down dinner, you had Italian or Mexican (menus don't change). The food that we ate was good. We had Italian 2 nights and Mexican 1 night. Hubby said sausage was way overcooked and the cold cuts looked unappetizing. We like to eat down town and found All Inclusive dictated what we were going to do during the day so that we could get back to the resort to eat. We both felt the resort was very impersonal, El Cid has a much warmer, family feel to it and isn't all inclusive. Park Royal was very spread out, had to walk forever to get to our room and the steps from the main level up to the lobby area are very irregular and were a pain to have to climb up and down. This resort in my mind is not handicap friendly. Only elevator from the main area to the lobby was a one person elevator with a handicap swivel chair in it. Walk ways weren't concrete, they were some kind of rock so were uneven (saw somebody in a wheelchair bouncing along as their caregiver struggled to push them). So it was difficult to walk on the walkways barefoot or with wet flip flops since the rocks were uneven. The pools were great, spent alot of time at the infinity pools, swim up bars were nice at all 3 pools. Staff was friendly, but most of them can't speak English. We feel that since there is no tipping involved, there really isn't much incentive for the staff to learn English or interact with the guests as much as they did at El Cid. I like the way they handle the pool towels. You get two cards when you check in and you give them two cards when you check out. You get your towels around the pool and turn them in there too. Don't have to take them to your room and try to dry them out. As one other reviewer stated if you want bacon, they hide it behind the omelete station, you have to ask for it, it's not just out on the buffet like other things are. Don't bother with their scrambled eggs, ask them to make them for you at the omelete station, otherwise, they're really watery. All things considered, we had a nice week. Would we stay there again? No. Would we buy a membership? No. We'd rather go to a hotel that isn't all inclusive, where we can see the beach and isn't as regimented as Park Royal seems to be.

1 Thank lacieblack