“maybe the best salsa I've ever had”
Review of los chilango's

los chilango's
Ranked #154 of 369 Restaurants in Cozumel
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Houston, Texas
“maybe the best salsa I've ever had”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The food was good here, and was a great value, but the salsa is absolutely amazing. I put it on everything on my plate and would have taken a bottle home if it were available. Go here for the salsa alone!

Visited June 2013

Veresegyhaz, Hungary
“Great inexpensive local food”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Our group of 10 people ate an amazing dinner for less than $50 US and that included drinks. What a deal. The food is really good and different than you get in the tourist restaurants. They even have fresh tamales that are great. When you go off the tourist track in Coz you can find some great restaurants, but this one is a cut above.

Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
“You have missed Cozumel, if you miss Los Chilango's”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Don't miss Los Chilangos. They are only open 12:00 to 17:00 Monday thru Saturday. Complete meal (ice tea, tortilla chips and salsa, hot soup, and entree with rice and beans) for 65 to 100 pesos; depending on entree. Quality of the home cooking was 1st rate and excellent. Service couldn't be faster or friendlier. My son and I speak minimal spanish and were brought into the kitchen to see the dishes offered. You have to love this place if you have any appreciation for Mexican food and culture.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Thorner H
Berthoud CO
“It is "Welcome to my home!"”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

What a great experience!
I like "typical". I want to experience a new place like the people who live there, and this is definitely a way to do it.

Atmosphere--my friend and I walked in to the air conditioned, converted living room with 3 large, long tables. Just grab a seat and choose your lunch from the chalkboard menu. The family pictures are on the wall, the couches pushed aside and you sit family style, next to people from the neighborhood, and people you don't know. Mothers and kids, business men, taxi driver's on break...come in and seem to know one another.

Food--Chicken fajita, and Veggie soufle (not what I expected) more of a stew than the American definition of "souffle". This dish was kind of like a serving of veggies cooked in a Campbell's Cream of _____ and served with rice and beans. The chicken fajita was quite good. The Chilangos tea was so tasty, with citrus and spice, I want the recipe. Meal comes with all the typical local sides. Dessert was offered, but I don't eat dessert right after a meal, so we skipped it.

Price--Can't be beat! My dish was $78Pesos. You go up to the cashier (a cash box at a chair.) and tell her what you had to eat. It's the honor system.

• Visited February 2013
St. Louis
“Favorite lunch place!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We have been lunching at Los Chilango's for years and this visit was outstanding, as always. Our soup arrived hot and fresh as soon as we were seated. Our kids eagerly await the arrival of the pitcher of "Chilango's Tea" served with every meal. The menu changes daily and for our recent visit, the boys stuck with their old familiar Pechuga Empanizada (thinly sliced, breaded chicken breast). If you request for children, they will do 1/2 orders, each with their own sides. My husband had pork ribs in red sauce, that the meat literally fell off the bone. I had potato croquettes that were stuffed with cheese, served with rice, beans, and a small salad. Warm tortillas and their house salsa rounded out the meals...be careful with the salsa...it is like fire some days! The service was super quick and all meals were priced at less than $6. Nothing like feeding a full meal to a family of 5 for less than $30!!

• Visited March 2013