“14 months later”

24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“14 months later”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I took an advanced open water certification course with Freddy in December 2011 and never got around to writing a review. I recently returned to Cozumel to dive but Freddy was already booked and thus I was unable to dive with him. I wanted to dive with him again to show him how much he had helped my wife and I grow as divers. Freddy is serious about the sport and at middle-age and with friends with scuba related injuries, I have come to appreciate his approach more and more.

Freddy is plain-spoken and straight-forward, with an eye for helping divers discover the changes that can advance their skills the most. The advice that he gave me has made me a safer and more relaxed diver.

Many of the dive operators that I have used over the years hire young people who are enthusiastic but feel invulnerable. I can no longer relate to that. Too often, there is minimal dive prep and safety rules are short-changed. It takes someone with a long career of safe diving to teach the skills that can allow a lifetime of diving. That is what Freddy teaches.

I was sorry that I could not dive with Mestizo this trip, we had some great dives but it would have been even better with Freddy.

Visited February 2013

Nantucket, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Freddy is a great guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We first met Freddy three years ago when we took an open water diver course. Then, he was a wonderfully gifted instructor, very patient and competent, and we couldn't have been happier with the experience. We were fortunate enough to be able to dive with him again during our most recent trip, as he took us on a skills refresher and subsequent fun dive.

Cozumel is full of dive masters who know the reefs and are competent in making trips. However, from what I have seen, Freddy is one of the best. He doesn't take any shortcuts in safety, preparation and planning. His rental equipment is very good. He hires only very good mates. He serves the best papaya between dives. And in my opinion, he does an excellent job of watching and evaluating his clients, understanding their experience and giving them focused and knowledgeable advice, not just providing a boat ride to the reefs.

My wife and I are both biologists, and love being able to talk with Freddy about the ecology of the reefs and island. We are also relatively new divers, having only taken about a dozen dives each. Freddy has amazing abilities as a diver for sure, but he also as amazing teaching ability, and every dive makes us that much more competent with him.

I never asked Freddy about his business plan: he certainly has the ability to expand to several boats if he wanted. But what I love about Freddy Contreras and Mestizo Divers, is that quality control and providing a high level of personalized service is more important to him than creating an empire. I would trust him to teach my future children to dive, and am glad to call him my friend. In fact, we have gone from scheduling our vacations around a convenient time for us, to one where Freddy is available to take us diving.

If you are looking for a great dive experience, I highly recommend you contact Freddy at Mestizo Divers.

Visited January 2013
Seattle
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Diving with Freddy: the highlight of our week on Cozumel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

I agree with all I've read here about diving with Mestizo Divers. Outstanding!!!! We spent 3 days with Freddy and could not have asked for a better experience. My 16 year old son was new to the sport and my husband and I were coming back after a 15 year break. I was so thrilled to be back in the water, and Freddy was the perfect guide. He is an environmentalist - educator - tour guide - Cozumel Ambassador - marine biologist all rolled into one. I feel so lucky to have made this connection and would go back TOMORROW if I could! I do hope to dive with Freddy again soon.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank lsmkc
Lumberton, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent diving opportunity with an amazing guy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

Freddy is amazing. We all got together and boarded his boat and felt instantly at home. Freddy is so knowledgeable about diving and the area he is truly a dive master and great to go with. the dives were incredible. We were shown all kinds of amazing stuff by Freddy. Best part of all he is a guy who wants to stay hidden and do small personal experiences with small groups of divers. You just cant beat that. He isn't out to shuffle as many people under the water to make a profit he is all about the personal experience and having fun!

Visited June 2012
Louisville, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A unique diving opportunity with a modern-day Rennaisance man!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

I first met Freddy Contreras 22 years ago when I was a newly certified Open Water Diver eager to learn more. In the years since, I have learned so much at the "feet of the master" through advanced certifications but most often by simply just listening. After 10s of thousands of dives, Freddy continues to have the same passion to share his vast knowledge and experience with any and all who are willing to listen. Freddy is knowledgeable, experienced, widely read and last, but not least always concerned for your safety. Freddy now proudly owns and operates Mestizo Divers; a par-excellence dive and fishing service/charter operation on Cozumel that is rivaled by many, but second to none. His service is personable, comfortable and intimate (usually 3 or 4 divers maximum). Mestizo is happy to show you the kind of diving that is not provided by the larger, less personable providers and includes fresh towels daily, fresh fruit between dives, equipment rental and daily care when desired. Freddy's seasoned knowledge of diving and the Cozumel area in general will leave you with a renewed appreciation for our water-world and the unique place in history that Cozumel occupies. Freddy and his assistant Lupe are prime examples of the kindness and friendly nature of the Cozumel culture. We have just returned from another 13 days on Cozumel and 18 dives apiece with Freddy. Can't wait to return. Spend your next diving trip with Freddy and Mestizo; you will not regret it! It is so much more than just diving!

Visited May 2012