“Great Diving with a very good guide. Personal experience and local knowledge can't be beat.”
Review of Mestizo Divers

Mestizo Divers
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Two of my friends and I dove with Freddy and his 1st mate. They were really nice and personable. Freddy went over all of the dives before we entered the water. He also told us what to look for and what we would see. When we reached each of our 3 dive destinations, we dropped in right in the perfect spot (which is very important when drift diving in Cozumel because if you are off by as little as 25-50ft it could be tough to fight the current).
Great time and Great experience.
Thanks Freddy,

"company"
in 4 reviews
"culture"

Reviewed January 26, 2012

my husband and I needed to do a refresher course, and then proceeded to do 3 more days of diving with Freddy The first two days were just the two of us with Freddy. he's pretty intense, but really cares about people, and divers, and is very patient. He taught us a lot and each dive was progressively more challenging in it's own way He had an underwater camera that he let me use (for $50 a day, a steal, his prices are very reasonable too) and i got to combine two of my famorite hobbies, photography and diving. I believe that Freddy generally only operates by referrals, but he's booked most of the time because he's that good, and people come back to him. Plus, the diving for me was just incredible, the reefs in Cozumel are just beautiful and the conditions perfect. I highly recommend Freddy to anyone out there. My husband didn't really like diving so much (learning in Monterey, CA where it is FREEZING-we are from San Francisco, CA) didn't help....but now Scott loves it, and Cozumel is only an hour or less bus ride to Belize. Go see Freddy. He only takes out small groups of people at a time, and I felt very safe with him as well.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

Freddy Contreras (and his beautiful boat) are unbeatable. Freddy was my first divemaster, 7 years ago, and I continue to learn from him with every dive as he challenges me to become a better and better diver. With his boundless patience and skill, he ushers divers at all levels through the stunning waters around Cozumel, even visiting less-popular dive sites. His enthusiasm for sharing what he loves is truly contagious. We always look forward to the delicious fruit during the interval, too. The top-notch personalized service is also much appreciated. Can't wait til the next time!

Reviewed June 11, 2011

I booked an Open Water Dive course with Freddy (Mestizo Divers) after reading some good reviews about him and Mestizo online. I was not disappointed!! After an initial inquiry email he got back to me very quickly, and continued to stay in contact via email answering all my questions. I put a deposit down with PayPal (very easy) for the course and once I arrived in Cozumel, Freddy met me at my hotel to brief me on my course and give me my materials. He was very friendly, professional, and welcoming. I ended up getting Freddy all to myself for the course as he had another group postpone but I'm sure I would have received personalized attention regardless. His boat is very clean, comfortable and quick, and Julio his driver/assistant is also very friendly and professional. They both took very good care of me with fresh fruit, water, and towels. Freddy was a very patient and encouraging teacher, while also making sure I was doing things correctly and safely. He helped me to overcome any challenges, and explained all questions that I had carefully. His guidance helped me successfully complete my Open Water within 3 days and he then took me for a great fun dive! For beginner's he is an excellent teacher and for experienced divers he knows the diving in Cozumel very very well and I'm sure can provide a unique diving experience. I would not hesitate to recommend Freddy and Mestizo to anyone looking for a personalized, knowledgeable instructor, or for recreational dives. I will definitely book with Freddy again!!

See more reviews
Reviewed June 10, 2011

My husband and I recently worked with Mestizo Divers to obtain our open water certification during our honeymoon to Cozumel. We had great time- Freddy, the dive master, is very safety oriented, which is so important for someone who is learning to dive. He is also deeply knowledgeable, emphasizing true understanding of key SCUBA concepts and the use of correct techniques. Julio, his assistant was great- a very patient and kind individual. We loved the personalized attention that we were able to receive from this smaller dive operation: the student teacher ratio was quite low , and Freddy was able to accommodate changes to our schedule within reason . All of the training took place from the boat which meant that all of our dives occurred in the ocean, including the confined water dives. We found this method much, much preferable to learning in a pool- it allowed us to get comfortable diving in the ocean right from the start, thereby reducing any apprehensions during the open water dives! In summary we are very confident with the training we received - Mestizo divers was top notch.

1  Thank chrismu1225