“Beautiful setting, wonderful food”
Review of Kondesa Restaurant

Kondesa Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 373 Restaurants in Cozumel
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Mexican, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Richmond
“Beautiful setting, wonderful food”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We ate at Kondesa our last night in Cozumel. It was recommended to us by one of the local dive masters. The food was wonderful! Like many places in San Miguel, you can't tell anything about a place from the outside. High, unremarkable walls hide beautiful courtyards and architecture. This was true of Kondesa. Patrons are seated in the lush courtyard filled with flowering plants and banyan trees. I would strongly recommend some bug repellent. The staff will provide some if you forget. I was afraid the mosiquitos would mar the experience but they did not. We started witj the guacamole sampler. I had no idea guacamole could be prepared in different ways, with different ingredients. Sounds awful, but the fruit guac was my favorite. We also shared the lionfish fitters and we each had fresh fish. It was the most expensive meal we had in Coz but in comparison to the states it was still inexpensive. If you have a chance, go. You won't regret it. Just don't forget the bug spray!

Visited February 2012

Berkeley, California
“The best we've had in Cozumel, good by any standards”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We've generally been very disappointed by the restaurants in Cozumel. Most seem to be more about entertaining the tourists - beach clubs, silly drinks and glasses, loud music, etc. - than about the food. Kondesa is the exception. The food is thoughtful, innovative, well prepared and delicious. The seating is all outdoors, with quiet music, nice lighting, and plenty of space. The staff is helpful and friendly.

I had Pescado Tomatillo, fish of the day (red snapper) in a tomatillo sauce with a green apple relish, and loved it. My daughter got Mar y Tierra (surf and turf). The steak was excellent, the shrimp OK. My wife's tortilla soup was different than any I've had, with a complex and delicate flavor. The appetizers were good, but not as good as the entrees - the keso fondida pretty good (the house made tortillas that came with it were great though!), and the lion fish cakes sound more interesting than they tasted.

This is the only restaurant I've found in Cozumel that serves food that is good enough to succeed in, say, San Francisco, Chicago, etc. Check it out!

• Visited January 2013
Minong, Wisconsin
“Great setting and food!”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

This restaurant is rated #1 and right behind our hotel, so we had to give it a try.
We arrived at 5pm, which is just when they opened, so no other customers were there. The outdoor restaurant is set within a beautiful circular garden lit with outdoor lanterns and very romantic. The service was great! I ordered the steak and garlic shrimp, while the wife ordered the catch of the day breaded with a cornbread powder. It wasn't the breaded fish that you would typically expect, but tasted very good. The black angus steak was very tender and the garlic shrimp were small but very tasty, much like shrimp scampi. The prices were reasonable, food with 2 drinks ran just under $50. The only thing that could have been slightly better would have been to receive some type of bread with the meal. There were also no typical chips/salsa/guacamole served that would normally come at every other place, although we were getting pretty tired of them after two weeks so no big deal.
All in all a very nice place to eat, with good food, and reasonable prices. Can't really ask for much more than that!

• Visited January 2013
Cozumel, Mexico
“Wow”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We had dinner at Kondesa with friends and it could not have been better. The garden was beautiful. The service was great. The best part, the food was wonderful. I had the red snapper enchiladas---ate every morsel!

Charlevoix, Michigan
“Very nice”
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I decided to try some new restaurants during a January diving trip to Cozumel. We passed by Kondesa on our way to a different eatery when I recalled seeing a good review and we decided to walk back and give it a try. We had a very enjoyable evening - good food, nice people and an interesting atmosphere.