“Sabores, "A bad day"”
Review of Sabores - CLOSED

Sabores
Cuisines: Spanish, Soups, Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Sabores, "A bad day"”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Sabores was on our must do list. I think we caught them on an off day!! We were the second table to sit down, but service was very slow. We arrived at 12:30pm. There was only one server and the place filled up quickly. The waiter was very nice and helpful, but it was just too much for one person. He recommenderd the Chile Rellano stuffed with shrimp. They only had one left, that should have been a clue!!! I ordered it. Then the wait started. They did give us a very nice corn soup to start. Food was very slow out of the kitchen. The three people that were there when we arrived got up and left after their drinks. Finally, our food came. My Chile Rellano was cold as well as the beans and rice. I did send it back, but it was heated in the microwave and was very mushy. My husband had the fish achiote. It was supposed to be wrapped in bananna leaves but came out in aluminum foil. It was very good and tasty. It was nice and hot. We shared that while mine was being reheated and then shared the chile rellano. They did serve chips and salsa and the hibiscus drink which is very nice. We wanted to stay for ice cream, but felt the wait would be too long. We did not leave Sabores until 2:15pm.

“You must stop here!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

If you are visiting Cozumel you must stop at this wonderful restaurant. Stay away from the high priced touristy places and try Sabores! You will walk through the owner's living room, through the kitchen and into the back yard where you will find a few simple tables, lovely fruit trees, some nice shade and maybe an iguana or two. The menu is varied enough for eveyone to be satisfied and the prices can't be beat.. I had a wonderful piece of fresh fish (very generous portion) that came with some rice, beans and vegetables for $70 pesos, or about $5 US. That included an appetizer of soup as well. Don't miss out on this little off the beaten path gem! It's a couple blocks from the main square!

Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent home cooking in garden setting”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

A charming small family run business with a dining room in the house and tables in the shaded garden in the back. Excellent daily specials and the chicken is always good. Compliemntary drinks and soup are always good. Attentive and friendly staff. Very moderate prices.

New York City, New York
“Good!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Sabores is a small, charming, low-key restaurant about a block away from the main drag on Cozumel. They serve much better Mexican food than the tourist trap restaurants on the main street and serves the best mole I've ever had.

The inside of Sabores is actually the converted living room of someone's home. The rooms to the left and right are the living quarters of the owner and their family. So, yes, the restaurant is unusually homey. I ordered a fish enchilada paired with a coke. I figured it was going to be pretty good no matter what. You can't make too many mistakes with fish that just came out of the ocean an hour ago, but I wasn't prepared for the fantastic flavors. The black bean sauce on the side was just perfect, blended to a fine consistency, not dry / caked up, not runny. I've never been a fan of it back home in NYC, but I sure am now. The rice was lightly flavored with what seemed like chicken broth and flecked with bits of carrots and greens. The enchilada was drenched in a thick tomato-based mole, the fish inside lightly grilled with garlic and was so fresh it crumbled into flakes when I picked it up. All in all my favorite less-touristy restaurant on Cozumel.

Visited January 2013
Austin, Texas
“Excellent!!!”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We enjoyed the most fantastic lunch in the most unassuming of places. Sabores, situated on Avenue 5 just south of the square, is a breakfast and lunch gem nestled in a mustard yellow unassuming house of the family who runs it. Dining takes place in the garden backyard underneath a giant star apple tree. While adornments and plastic place settings may leave something desired for some diners, the food is simply outstanding. I've eaten at the tripadvisor top 10 many times in Cozumel, and THIS is my new favorite place on the island. Traditional, simple, friendly, and authentic.

Visited January 2013