“Excellent! Again!”
Review of Cozumel H2O

Cozumel H2O
More attraction details
Owner description: Booking with Cozumel h2o means top notch service from those with the Cozumel waters in their hearts. You wanna learn to scuba dive? You want to dive adventures reefs? Or you just want to snorkel to enjoy the water of Cozumel? Go h2o!
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I just completed my second snorkel excusion with Cozumel H2O on a recent cruise stop. I did a previous excursion in August, 2013. Both trips received a 5 star excellent rating from me. Having used them twice I have a greater appreciation for their service for 2 reasons.

The first is consistency. I received the same high level of customer service and personal attention from Loes, Miguel, and the staff on both excursions. Their passion and love for what they do is reflected in the service they provide and your overall experience.

The second is by way of comparison. I booked an excursion with another company on another cruise stop, Grand Turk, and the difference in the experience was night and day. That made me appreciate just how superior the service and overall experience is with Cozumel H2O. They were superior in every way including the focus on safety, the quality and condition of the boat, the ease of entry and exit on the boat, the personal service, the guides swimming with you the entire time, the guides explaining the fish you'll see and then pointing them out in the water, the serving of refreshments, the pleasant conversation between snorkel stops, and the way they tailor the experience to each person's experience and comfort level.

On this trip, there were about six divers and 3 snorkelers (me and a couple with limited experience). They managed both groups well. Never did I feel like my snorkel experience was diminished or affected by the divers. Loes accompanied the snorkelers and Miguel and another staffer (name?) accompanied the divers. As others have noted, while en route to the snorkel stops, they use a colorful chart to explain the marine life native to the area that you may encounter. And she teaches hand signals for the more popular fish, such as rays, barracuda, and turtles.

A couple of additional points:
Despite your snorkel experience or swimming ability, they do a remarkable job catering to your needs. As an experienced snorkeler and stronger swimmer, Loes let me explore while she attended to the other inexperienced members in the party. I did not feel like I had to reduce my pace or level. And when the other snorkelers tired and went back to the boat, Loes stayed in the water with me as we searched for nurse sharks (no luck this time).

By the way, the other snorkelers did not perceive that negatively. They felt they were allowed to snorkel at their comfort level and were highly satisfied. And when they wanted to rest, they did not have to swim back to the boat. Loes signaled the captain and the boat came to them.

Loes does an excellent job spotting marine life for you to see. I would have missed a lot if not for her ability, including the spotted eagle ray, multiple sting rays, a giant lobster, and a turtle. I was fortunate to have seen every fish on the chart except for a nurse shark, and much of that is due to Loes' experience.

Lastly, they are very flexible with the schedule so we stayed out longer than the scheduled time. On the way back to the marina, they radioed ahead to ensure a taxi was waiting for me upon return. Now that is going above and beyond.

Stops included:

A brief visit to Cielo. Not much to see here. It's primary purpose is to let everyone get comfortable in the water and with their equipment.

Columbia Shallows. This is my personal favorite - a lot of coral and marine life and not too deep.

The "White house." It's called that because it's located opposite a large white house on the beach. This stop replaced Palancar Gardens because they have been seeing spotted eagle rays and there is a lot of marine life. I preferred the change as I think Palancar's depth limits how much snorkelers can see up close. This site rivaled Columbia and we saw a huge spotted eagle ray plus a lot of other marine life.

Santa Rosa wall. The focus here is on the significant change in depth from relatively shallow to incredibly deep.

I will use Cozumel H20 on my next visit. And you should too!

1  Thank Dan D
in 15 reviews
"flounder"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Great snorkel tours! Don't waste your time on cruise ship excursions...this is the best! We saw stingrays, lobsters, turtles, many many fish, and a shark! The wall where the ocean gets very deep was impressive.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Had the pleasure of diving recently with Cozumel H20 and it was beyond satisfactory. Miguel and Ari, the dive masters, were extraordinarily attentive and went out of their way to make clientele comfortable no matter their level of experience.

The boat is not large, but is the right size for the smaller groups that H2O caters to. This is a huge advantage to using H2O: since the group size is so small, more attention can be given to the clientele. They even arranged for me to do a night-dive even though I was the only participant! Now that, my friends, is service I simply have not received anywhere else.

You can not go wrong with using H2O anytime you are in Cozumel and I greatly look forward to diving with them again.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We arrived in Cozumel on Tuesday January 21, 2014. After disembarking from the NCL pier, we took a cab ride to La Caleta- about $10 for 2. We met the tour at the bathroom building (note- you need to pay to use the facilities- about $0.50). Met our tour, filled out the forms, then met our dive instructors, Miguel and Uriel.

We tried on our wet suits (zipper in the back) fins, and mask. Took a boat trip of about 45 minutes where we learned about our equipment, physics of scuba, how to communicate under water, how to clear our mask, find our regulator, equalize and inflate/deflate our BCDs. We practiced the safety rules on-board. Urial showed us the type of fish and sea-life we might encounter. We arrived at a very shallow reef, El Cielo, (about 8 feet deep) and entered the water. We again demonstrated our safety instructions to our dive instructors - this time under water.

Got back on the boat and travelled to the Columbia Shallow. We were provided drinks and fresh fruit. We dove and saw jacks, spiny lobsters, angel fish and flounders. We learned to breathe more slowly and deeply to relax and descend. Next we took a boat ride to a pier to relax about 20 minutes and let our bodies adjust after our first dive.

Our second dive was like we were "old hands" and we could not wait to get back in the water! We were in two groups of 3-4 and our instructor, Urial, pointed out all the fish along the way. Suddenly above us we say a spotted ray on the surface. A few moments later we saw a ray emerge from the sandy bottom and ascend. A third ray joined them! It was incredable! We saw so many amazing fish and sea life! Did not want to surface and get back on the boat.

When we got back on board, there was hot chocolate and cheesecake awating us. We smiled, relaxed and let the sun dry us off as we made for the dock. An amazing journey! Thank you so much Cozumel H2O!!!!! We'll be back!!!!!

2  Thank SDJourney
See more reviews
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We had snorkeled in Cozumel in 2012 and did not have a great experience with the excursion we had booked through our cruise line. So, when we found that we were going to have another opportunity to visit Cozumel on another cruise in December 2013 we decided to book based upon reviews on tripadvisor and we definitely made the right decision.
From the initial email contact with Loes and booking our trip, to the smooth taxi ride to the marina to meet our captain and guide and fellow snorkelers everything went smoothly, except for the downpour just before boarding our boat, but hey, we were going to be getting wet anyway.
As promised we saw lovely sea stars in a shallow sand bottom expanse of ocean not far from shore then we continued onto several reefs. On route we were given much educational information, laminated colourful fish charts and told what we could expect to see.
We visited El Cielo, Colombia Shallow, Palancar Gardens and Santa Rosa Wall. By the time we got to Santa Rosa Wall a few of us were just too tired to get off the boat again and enjoyed the boat, the sun and the company of our captain while others ventured off again to explore. My husband and daughter encountered some divers deep down off the 400' wall as well as a few sting rays and lots of fish.
But we all saw sea turtles, rays hiding in the sand and many colourful fish at all the stops. Unfortunately the reefs themselves we less than alive with colour due to past storms, but still quite active with sea life.
My daughter was stung a dozen times or more by tiny jellies she encountered but no one else was stung. Fortunately she was fine, no allergic reaction and refused to get out of the water regardless of the tiny red welts and burning sensation.
Our guide entertained us with some deep free dives and water rings and pointed out the deeper fish and hidden sea life.
The amazingly fresh fruit and satisfying cake were most welcome and very refreshing especially after a few mouthfuls of salt water....
We hope to return to Cozumel again soon and would definitely book with H20 again, perhaps even try diving next time...