“Waste of Time and Money”

Chankanaab Beach Adventure Park
Atlantis Submarine Expedition, Cozumel
Ranked #5 of 51 Nature & Parks in Cozumel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Chankanaab Adventure Beach Park is the most popular attraction in Cozumel. It is conveniently located just ten minute taxi ride from the cruise ship terminal. It´s a favorite for cruise ship passangers, day trippers, beach lovers. Enjoy the natural beauty of our beach and reef area,amaze yourself with our eco archaeological tour. All facilites included: restrooms, showers, huts, hammocks and beach chairs. Now your ticket includes: Sea Lion Show, Dolphin Presentation, Manatee Exhibition, Crocodile Exhibition and Eco Archaeological Tour. At Chankanaab Park you can also enjoy world class snorkel tour, scuba diving tour, snuba tour, seatrek tour, spa, temazcal, swim with dolphins and manatees tour for an additional cost. All fun in one place !
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Victoria, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Waste of Time and Money”
Reviewed December 18, 2010

Overgrown kiddy park that exploits marine mammals. Mexican govt. won't let you snorkel on the park reefs unless you wear a floatation vest. You don't know this until you've already paid and are in the park or if you sit through a miriad of ads first on a screen outside the gate. The restriction is not posted in a prominent place where it is continuosly displayed outside the entrance.

I let them know we were unhappy. They said it's a federal reg but then, because I was steamed and they could sense it, they were going to let me and my wife break the rule. What gives?

In addition they offered to let us in free the next day if I and my wife returned. We'd already wasted the day and a lot pesos for collectivos and the ferry getting there from Xpu-ha. We were not ready to expend the travel costs twice to possibly find out they were kidding or have a Federale override them and bust us, fining us or putting wife and I in jail. Thanks for the Felice Navidad.

1 Thank kjwVictoria_BC

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Provided and experience not soon forgotten”
Reviewed November 23, 2010

My husband, 15 yr. old son, 12 yr. old daughter and myself visited Chankanaab Park in Nov. 2010. I had booked a dolphin experience for my daughter and a sea lion experience for myself and my son. Since it wasn't very busy, we ended up being the only people participating in both experiences so we ended up with so much more than we expected/paid for, which was a huge bonus! I feel that the staff was very friendly, accommodating and knowledgable. Both programs were an appropriate length and content as well as a good value for the money. The park was convient, well-maintained and the animals looked healthy. At the end of both of our experiences we were asked if we would like to have an additional encounter with a manatee and agreed with out hesitation. My second thought was that they were going to charge us for it afterwards which did not happen. We did have a rather expensive lunch but we expected it because there were limited options. The part I didn't like about the experience was that during both animal encounters there were pictures and videos taken but only one video was shown to us (we had to ask for the second one). So as we were discussing prices for the 2nd video and the pictures, the price went up when the 1st video was mentioned. We then asked about a cd with the pictures on it in order to make our own copies and the price continued to rise. There were no prices posted so it was all subject to negotiation which is excepted but very unsettling.

5 Thank caligirl1967
Annapolis
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Great place to relax, sun, beach, snorkel at Cozumel”
Reviewed November 23, 2010

We have now been to Chankanaab twice in the past year--visiting on cruise ships in Cozumel---the Costa Atlantica in Feb 2010 and the Grandeur of the Seas in Nov 2010. We lucked out both visits--good weather. This park is a short taxi ride from the cruise ship port (about $10 US each way). The entrance fee is high $17--but you can stay and visit all day. It has a well developed park and facilities, a large shopping area and restaurants. It offers a ride the dolphins experience for all--which is awesome. It has a childrens beach area. And then it has what we went for--a great beach, palapas, facilities for snorkeling and diving. The palapas are everywhere and part of your fee. Their are changing rooms, and for $10 you can rent snorkeling equipment. You enter the water right away through great platforms. But be aware--it gets deep fast to about 25 feet. You can snorkel around and see all kinds of tropical fish--saw baracudas and rays this time.There is a Christ statue to visit in about 25-30ft of water, and many Spanish cannons in the bottom to explore. Nice thing--is that you can stay all day there--there is no rush like on the snorkel and dive boats--which you can see come and go outside the protected Park area. We basically spend the whole day here snorkeling and relaxing. You can see the cruise ship port down the coast and it is easy to return--no trouble.

8 Thank Ted B
Denver, CO
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very Happy with Chankanaab”
Reviewed November 15, 2010

Have been to Cozumel several time and not gone to the park. Did go to the Park on a stop over from cruise. $59 for park entrance and a swim with the Manatee's. Very pleased with the swim (very close and plenty of hands on time with the manatee). The park was very clean, as well as the beach and a free locker with the park entrance. Would recommend it. Did not try the food, but did see that they were prices you would expect to pay in the US.

Didn't do the dolphine swim (have done that before in Cancun) but really looked like fun. They had them lift you out of the water on their noises. I didn't do that in Cancun.

2 Thank Chuck1010
Dallas, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Quiet Clean Beaches - Excellent Diving!”
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Much to do. Wonderful people. Each time I visit this place I see new things and creatures while scuba diving. An amazing place!! @kurtwvs

2 Thank kurtwvs