“Chankanaab park”

Cozumel Combo Tour: Discover Mexico Park and Chankanaab Day Pass
Ranked #4 of 50 Nature & Parks in Cozumel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Chankanaab Adventure Beach Park is the most popular attraction in Cozumel. It is conveniently located just ten minute taxi ride from the cruise ship terminal. It´s a favorite for cruise ship passangers, day trippers, beach lovers. Enjoy the natural beauty of our beach and reef area,amaze yourself with our eco archaeological tour. All facilites included: restrooms, showers, huts, hammocks and beach chairs. Now your ticket includes: Sea Lion Show, Dolphin Presentation, Manatee Exhibition, Crocodile Exhibition and Eco Archaeological Tour. At Chankanaab Park you can also enjoy world class snorkel tour, scuba diving tour, snuba tour, seatrek tour, spa, temazcal, swim with dolphins and manatees tour for an additional cost. All fun in one place !
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Stroller parking, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My wife and I visited Chankanaab park during our stay on Cozumel March 10-18 2012.

You could easily spend the better part of the day here or even the whole day here. Definately geared towards families here, and it was very clean.

We were staying on Cozumel, and we got there fairly early before there were any crowds there, although the day we visited it never felt very crowded. There was one point where a large crowd came in, but they seemed to disperse pretty quickly.

We took a taxi from our hotel to get there, and didn't have any problem getting taxi when we left later on. They were very well organized there, there was someone out front that handled getting folks taxis on the way out.

There is an entry fee to the park, and there are other activities in the park that are additional (dolphin encounters, manatee encounters, snuba, etc...). I called the order line the morning we decided to go to the park and scheduled my wife's dolphin swim for the same day, so it is possible to do that late notice but you may want to book further ahead than that (we may just have gotten lucky).

My wife did the dolphin swim and she really enjoyed it. I took some pictures and video from the side. There was a $5 fee for letting me go along side to take pictures. They take photos and sell them afterwards as well. If you think you don't want to buy their photos you probably will want to pay for the observer fee (it depends on where the encounter is done, the one that they did my wife's encounter in was on the side and I would not have been able to get any shots of it if I didn't pay the observer fee).

They rent snorkeling gear there, but we brought our own snorkeling gear there. We did a bunch of snorkeling while we where there. They have a nice setup for snorkeling, there is a good amount of rocky shoreline there with a wall, and they have steps/platforms for entering/leaving the water at intervals. We went into the water at one end of the park and drifted along towards the end of the park and got out there. The water is not really shallow there, I'm guessing about 10-20 feet. There was plenty of fish around there and the snorkeling was good. There was a small section that was protected/shallow (walk in) and had a beach, which would be good for folks with younger kids.

They have lockers there, food/snack bars, a gift shop.

They also had a seal show that was included, you can get a picture with the seal.

There were some walking paths and a nice lagoon there. You can't swim in the lagoon, but there were some colorful fish in it. I walked around and got some bird & iguana pictures while my wife got some sun on the beach area.

If you are into birding, I did see some hummingbirds there walking on the trails and some frigate birds along the shoreline.

7  Thank Birder513

Reviewed March 25, 2012

Thought there was going to be a beach, there was none to speak of. It's fine if you want to scuba or snorkel but not the place to enjoy sun bathing and taking a dip.

3  Thank Shawn P
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Chucho was our tour guide for a shore exursion that we booked thru RCCL. We chose the Discover Mexico and Chankanaab beach for the day trip.. Chucho was very informative, friendly, courteous and professional! He made sure we had everything from chairs by the beach to snorkeling help if we needed it. We felt totally secure and safe with him! He let us know what was included in our package and told us that if anyone tried to charge us for anything that was included, to let him know and he would take care of it! We loved every minute of our time with him! He was very accomodating!

1  Thank TheRowdys
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Paradise for snorkeling or just relaxing in a quiet natural setting. Tons of activities for all age groups.

1  Thank nicos m
Reviewed March 24, 2012

Went to Chankanaab on a visit to Cozumel in February and was blown away by both the fantastic snorkeling and the impressive dolphin training program. I have seen other dolphin programs and was very impressed by the quality of theirs. Would highly recommend that others go check this place out!

2  Thank cmanderson13