“Beware! Great place, but....” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Scuba Club Cozumel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cozumel
Scuba Club Cozumel
Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Saratoga, California
“Beware! Great place, but....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

I booked a 5 day trip for Thanksgiving week through PADI Travel to get my son's certification dives completed. I booked the 5 nights / 3 days of diving package for each of us, plus my son's certification dives and an extra day of diving for myself, for a total of 7 days of 2 tanks/day boat diving.

First, the good: I really liked the resort - simple, spotlessly clean, not too fancy. The dive staff and resort staff were great. I have no complaints about the room, the resort, or the staff. I really liked the facility and location. If I were making a decision just on that basis, I'd definitely stay at Scuba Club again.

The OK: the food is good, but not great. I booked the breakfast & lunch only package. Purchasing dinner at the resort if you didn't get it included in the package is VERY expensive for what you get. That just gave us an incentive to walk into town and explore the little local restaurants where we could get a full dinner plus a beer and a limonada for about $10 total - much more interesting, and a lot less expensive.

The bad: We arrived Monday afternoon. Tuesday morning my son did his first two checkout dives off the shore. The instructor was great. That afternoon I went out on the boat for 2 dives. Wednesday, it was too windy - 30kts plus, big waves, and the port captain declared the port closed for diving. Thursday, same story. Friday morning same story, finally late morning it finally calmed down enough that my son could complete his checkout dives off the shore. Saturday, the day we left, of course finally the wind let up and the dive boats went out. None of this is the resort's fault, after all they can't control the weather. The dive staff was just as frustrated as the guest, and my son's instructor got him in the water on Friday as soon as conditions had calmed down. So what's the problem?

I expected I would get a refund for the unused diving days - but no, more than 3 months after the trip, I'm still waiting. PADI Travel has been no help at all. I was offered a refund for 3 days, it should be 6. I am very disappointed and upset with the poor communication from PADI Travel on getting a refund for the unused portion of the trip.

So if you book here, beware...if the weather doesn't cooperate, you'll have a really hard time getting any kind of a refund. Look into trip insurance. Maybe booking direct with the resort would be a better bet rather than going through PADI Travel.

This was my first trip to Cozumel, and unfortunately we didn't get to see any of the world class diving that Cozumel is known for. And if you're not diving, there's not much else to do on the island. Every day 3 giant cruise ships pull in and vomit out thousands of passengers who all swarm into the little town which has a row of shops along the waterfront all selling the same tourist junk. It is much more interesting to get a few blocks back from the malecon to the shops and restaurants where the locals go, and a lot cheaper too.

I wish my experience had been better, if not for the hassles getting a refund, I'd be giving this place 4 or 5 stars.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank RW1959

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Stratham, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

I have been to SCC about 5 times, the hotel is always clean and the rooms are comfortable. This place caters to divers and they do a great job . The food is always very good and the service staff is always courteous and friendly.

The dive operation is excellent, they have great boats and the staff is very helpful and attentive. I would recommend travel alone with your family or with a group ...

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Gill, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

My brother and I just returned from a week stay, our first, at Scub Club Cozumel. Attentive and personal and attentive service dominated our stay - whether at the restaurant, signing up for dives or tanks at the dive shop, or on the boat and during our dive. The staff were upbeat and added to the atmosphere - it is clear why many have worked here as long as they have. Our relaxed schedule permitted a couple of morning dives after a tasty and satisfying breakfast, returning for a lunch off the menu that always nourished and satisfied the palette. While the topography of the shore dive is a stark contrast to your daily diving, it never disppointed, as there was a lot going on. Two dinner times accomodated any night diving, or evening socializing. Indeed, a well synched operation!

Room Tip: An excellent value. The hacienda feel to the place was delightful. Despite the 40 steps to our room...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our week at Scuba Club Cozumel. Our room was comfortable, but we wish we could have had one overlooking the sea. Maybe next time. Other reviewers have complained about the hard mattresses. I would agree, but we were usually so tired from the diving that we slept soundly anyway. I think the problem could easily be resolved with a 2 inch mattress topper on each bed. The wifi signal was not strong in our room, but it was somewhat better in the restaurant area. We found out later that the internet infrastructure in the Yucatan is to blame.

We enjoyed the food. There were plenty of choices at the breakfast buffet. We usually chose high protein fare to keep us going on our dives, but there was also delicious fresh fruit and breakfast pastries. Every day at lunch there was a special, or you could order from the extensive lunch menu. The club sandwich was yummy. Lunch included a nice salad bar. There were 4 choices for dinner, and a choice of soup or salad, and a choice of dessert. The only meal we had that disappointed was the food served on Mexican fiesta night. It would have been a good night to go out to eat.

The diving was beyond our expectations. We had heard that the reefs still had not recovered from Hurricane Wilma in 2005, but apparently they have. We saw plenty of beautiful coral and sponges, a large variety of fish, some in schools, sea turtles, nurse sharks, moray eels, flat fish on the sand, and sea horses. Our guide, Ariel, was amazing in his ability to spot creatures and point them out to us. He took us on a variety of dives, each exciting and beautiful.

We are already talking about returning next year.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Middlefield, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

I spent 10 days at scuba club and diving with them. You definetly get a great value and experience for you money. The food was great, the staff extremely friendly and helpful, and the diving was AMAZING. Our DM Hector found every creature you could think of. We saw more spotted eagle rays, turtles, and octopus during the day in a week than I have seen in years. The currents were pleasantly mild and made for very relaxing diving. The rooms are basic yet very comfortable. Town is maybe a 10 minute walk with an overload of shopping and dining experiences. There is so much to do and see a week is hardly enough. Remember, you are in a tourist area as you shop and EVERYTHING is marked up considerably so haggle the prices. Whatever the price is, cut it in half and work down from there. My group got OUTSTANDING deals this way. You won't regret staying with scuba club and experiencing everything the island has to offer.

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank wildernessguy6
Grapevine, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

We stayed at this resort for the first time after getting a great review from a friend and we were MORE THAN IMPRESSED! Everything on the resort ran so efficiently, the food was great, and the lunch was more food than you could ask for with the salad bar + entree! The rooms are basic, but very comfortable. The diving lockers are super convenient and the dive masters are remarkable and are always able to find some amazing creatures! The town is within walking distance and there is a convenience store similar to a large grocery store in America where you are able to find anything you need! We had a great stay and will be back for a second trip!

Room Tip: We stayed in room #58, which had a large terrance in front of it with an ocean view. It was next to...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DMLindsey
Weeki Wachee, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Our dive club has been coming for many years but this is our first time. Location, location, location!!!!!!! Coffee in the morning on the crystal blue caribbean watching the cruise ships sail by . The resort is primarily for divers .If your traveling with a diver and your not a diver shopping is within walking distance or a pool for sun worshipers. I would not recommend this resort if all are non divers. You have the option for all inclusive excluding alcohol for 3 meals. The food and service is amazing!!!!!! This is a very very clean resort..... very hard working employees. Tipping is at the end of your stay and they have a tipping guideline to help you.

Room Tip: All the rooms are centrally located however there are no elevators. But the views from the 3rd floor...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends