“Quality in every way”

Ranked #11 of 51 Hotels in Cozumel
Germantown, Wisconsin
“Quality in every way”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We did not stay at the resort but did a snorkel tour with them. We were provided with professional, outstanding service. This is a quality operation. The snorkeling was good, but not like the Caymans or Hawaii. Cozumel doesn't have many shallow reefs. However, we still saw lots of fish and had a great time thanks to the staff. Our tour was very reasonably priced compared to other ones we looked at and it lasted over 3 hours. I definitely recommend them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Victoria, Texas
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Although the resort is older, it is well kept, clean, and located within easy walking distance to San Miguel. Our room was clean, the AC worked great, plenty of hot water after a day of diving, and we had a small fridge for snacks. The view from the fourth floor was great, but the stairs were like running a gauntlet....next time I would request a room downstairs. Maid service was efficient, and we always had clean fresh towels. WiFi was always available from our room and we enjoyed staying in touch with family. The food was local Mexican fare, not gourmet, but okay. We had the breakfast and lunch plan....so it was adequate and we enjoyed dinner at many of the local places.
The swimming pool was a strange shade of green all week, but it didn't matter since we were always diving. The hammocks under the big palapa were a great place to relax and rest.
The diving was good, saw lots of turtles. Our dive master was kinda quiet and shy, but he took good care of us.
We had a great week of diving at Scuba Club Cozumel.

Room Tip: Pick a room downstairs!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank gayla
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We arrived at Scuba Club Cozumel to dive, sleep, eat and repeat. And honestly, Scuba Club Cozumel did not let us down. The diving was great. The sites were well chosen and actually planned according to cert & comfort levels of the divers on them. We witnessed this first hand. The Captains and crew were all very good. The house reef had steps leading down into right from the shore. It came complete with a mini-swim through and a spotted eel. Abundant life is all over and it makes for a fun nighttime dive.

The Dive Master we had for 3 days was top notch in and out of the water. His decades as a dive professional have made him shine, where so many others begin to dull. Kudos Jose!

We spent three days on three different Vessels. One a cat, the others mid sized dive boats. They were’t anything out of the ordinary, but they were well kept, clean, and in very good running condition. No choking diesel smells topside and clean heads below deck. The boats, though a bit older than new, impressed us. Litter in its place and even the fire extinguishers were in date. (yep, we check)

The dive sites were teeming with life and the dive briefings were memorable. The dive master pointed out so much, that so many would otherwise miss. He was proud to spend time showing off his playground and didn’t rush through the dives because it was just a job. Jose treated each dive as if it were our first and was indeed our own underwater tour guide.

The Restaurant was good for an all inclusive, privately run dive resort. They did everything to accommodate and please their guests in every way. Drinks were never empty and the different courses arrived promptly. The kitchen team did their best to fix a special heart healthy diet for a member of our crew. The local cuisine was the real treat. The spices and flavors were true to the region and nothing like the Mexican food we Americans eat here at home.

We knew beforehand that we would not have access to a phone, television or microwave in our suite. But it took not seeing them for it to really sink in. Thank God for the Wi-fi ! At least we could "rough it" and hook up our Magic Jacks, Skype and stream Hulu Plus.

All in all Scuba Club Cozumel lived up to its name and reputation as a solid Dive Resort. It really is a Dive Resort for Divers by Divers. They have an exceptional return rate for their guests. To keep so many people coming back time after time, they must be doing something right. What we found that to be is simple. Good service. Good Food. Good Location and Great Diving.

If you are looking for a boutique resort or have the idea that All Inclusive means they do everything for you, like carry gear, clean equipment or hold your hand all week, then you have the wrong idea about Scuba Club Cozumel. But if you are looking for a resort that knows what divers need, and delivers it in a big way, then you’re looking at the right place. Scuba Club Cozumel will not leave you out to dry.

Room Tip: Try to get first floor rooms and be prepared to tip well for good service. (Most divers do this any...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank JollyRogerReviews
Ladysmith, Canada
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The Hotel is average for a mexican vacation, but if you're here to dive (and you must be), then this is the place to be. The Dive Masters are the best, and the reef is unbelievable:) The first time here was really great, and the food was pretty good as well. The second time back (within 6 months), the food had taken a bit of a down hilll spiral. The hot food we ordered we usually had to return to be warmed up, but the salads were great. Staff is always there to help you or please you in some way, and you'll get to know your wait staff very quickly as they all work 6 - 7 days a week. If you ever get to dive with Henry Zappata or Jose Fernandez, then you will have a great time. These guys are pro's!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I had to spend a soon-to-expire airline voucher, and my spouse (a non-diver) didn't want me spending a ton of money, so I looked around for a deal on a short scuba vacation somewhere in the Caribbean. Scuba Club Cozumel popped up with a 5 nite/4 days of diving Spring deal that couldn't be beat. The reviews were good so I booked, and I was not disappointed. The ride from the airport was simple - I took one of those $10 cab rides (you buy the voucher in the airport before heading to the cab queue). Check in was a breeze and within an hour I was signing up for the next morning's boat dive and grabbing a free tank for a shore dive to check out my gear - all before it was time for dinner. At dinner, I was invited to join several other guests at their table - and I ended up diving with them the rest of my trip - great for a solo diver. The next 4 days flew by. The 2-tank morning dives were great - different reefs each day, but always the same boat, crew, and buddies. After my siesta, it was either a shore dive, or an afternoon 1-tank boat dive to wrecks or nearby reefs, then dinner and finally a night dive. The 2-tank sunset/night boat dive is not to be missed. The first dive lets you see lots of crepuscular species, while the night dive brings out the really cool night dwellers. We did the twilight in a ripping current and saw a ton as we blew by. The night was done under rainy skies, so it was pitch black below - great for sneaking up on octopi and other photogenic stuff.

The staff was super friendly and the inclusive meals were muy delicioso! Good Mexican fare, not burgers and fries like some nearby all-inclusives. My room was on the top floor with a great view of the ocean. No elevator, but since they've got lockers down at the dive shop, I just left most of my gear down there (you need your own lock). The room was kept very clean, and the warm showers were very welcome after chilly night dives. There is no TV in the room - which was fine by me - and the wireless was really strong in my room (I think the closer you are to the front desk the stronger the signal) - great for skyping with the wife and kids. There is a pitcher for water and bottled water coolers in the hallways, and the wall unit AC cranks out the cold air. Check out was just as smooth as check in and I was at the airport in about 15 minutes (a cab to the airport is around $15 - cash and the cabbies prefer pesos). Oh, and I never once felt unsafe, even walking to/from town.

So, some plusses: free, unlimited shore diving with nice stuff to see right off the dock; 10-15 min walk to the heart of downtown; safe; clean rooms; nice staff; great food; dive operation on premises; retail dive shop across the street; everyone there is there for diving.

A neutral: for a diver, this is an awesome place if you are a diver. If you are not, it might be a bit limited. There is a pool, fitness room, and some hammocks, but no beach. You can walk into town or go snorkeling. There's not much for kids to do though.

And a couple of minor minuses: drinks were not included in the inclusive meals. A beer is like $1 to 2 and ice tea is around 50 cents, why not just tack $20 on to the total package price and include the drinks? and, you don't tip as you go, but rather are asked to fill out these tip envelopes for each staff who you wish to tip as you check out. I found that to be tough because it made me realize how much I normally tip (a lot!!!) over the course of a week, and I had to try hard not to get stingy with a week long tip total (and I had trouble keeping track of who might have gone above and beyond on one day or another). I'd really rather tip as I go, and would prefer to have that option.

Overall, I had an awesome time and will be back again many times!

Room Tip: Rooms close to the front desk have good wireless. There is no elevator in the 3-storey main buildin...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Roaming_Fool
West Sacramento, California
Reviewed July 9, 2012

If you are a diver, you can't beat the Scuba Club Cozumel. My husband and I have stayed here 3 times and are going back for our 4th time in August. We usually stay for 1 week and get the meal and dive plan. The diving is great. The boats are great. The crews are great. The food is great. The rooms are great. What more can I say. We love this place. This is not a luxury hotel but if you are a diver, you can't go wrong. There is a dive shop on the premises and everything from gear lockers to rinse tanks for your equipment is right there. There is shore diving with unlimited tanks at no additional charge.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank paulwestsac
Louisiana
Reviewed July 8, 2012

My mother (71) and I (49) went for a week of diving at the end of June, beginning of July. Our local dive shops gave Scuba Club Cozumel rave reviews, and we completely agree. The rooms were simple, but perfectly set up for scuba divers (clean, lots of room to put the scuba gear, closets with good ventilation, showers with excellent water pressure). The frig in the room was a nice touch, the towels were clean and fluffy, and the maid service was perfectly timed for when we were on the boats. Great food, again timed for divers' needs (large, high-protien breakfasts: scrambled eggs, some type of chiles, banana pancakes, bacon, some sort of interesting potatoes - a great assortment of choices every morning). The lunch specials were good, but I often ordered my favorite (beef tacos with fresh guacamole) off the menu. '
The hammocks along the water were the perfect place to start the day. And end it. Bring serious bug spray for the evenings, or, better, buy some from the grocery store. The store is only 4 short blocks away. I loved being right near all the town facilities; I hate being isolated at a resort located miles from anything else to do. When Mom wanted to nap I could stroll down and wander through town. I was completely comfortable wandering on my own.
The boat crews were fabulous. We took the refresher course the first afternoon, and both of us saw our diving go to new levels over the week, largely due to the refresher course.
The only people there not diving were a few wives that didn't dive; they said they enjoyed it but I don't see how. And a few kids whose parents were diving. They did seem to be having fun; the hotel had arranged local babysitters who were taking them swimming and snorkeling and playing games.
Everyone speaks excellent English. This was our first trip to Cozumel; we're already planning the next one.

Room Tip: Ask for the ground floor! The third floor rooms have great views, but the outside stairs can get sl...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family