“Pleasant Hotel”
Review of Scuba Club Cozumel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cozumel
Scuba Club Cozumel
Ranked #13 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed April 12, 2011

The hotel and its surrounds are very pleasant, clean and tidy. There are about 80 rooms in a number of different blocks. The Dive centre is part of the complex but they seem to run it as a separate enterprise. There’s also a dive shop across the road to buy anything you’ve forgotten – although it’s not that cheap. I paid about $1100 for 7 nights full board with 5 days diving. You could help yourself to water and coffee at anytime.
The main sun terrace of this hotel was quite spacious. There were plenty of sunbeds and hammocks to relax on. The pool however was very small – not much chance to spread your limbs. To access the sea you could either dive off two of the piers or climb down the metal ladders. It really was ideal for divers and quick access to the boats for the off-shore dives.
Watch out for the hidden tax charges. Some things they quote clearly such as “$45 + tax” and others they state as “$45”. The latter of these is without tax and not inclusive of tax – everything has 11% tax added to it so watch out.

Room
The rooms were a bit damp smelling but generally clean and tidy. The air con worked well but it was a bit noisy. The ceiling fan could be turned up high which felt like sitting under a helicopter. At any speed it was a bit noisy. I had a small lizard for company during my stay – I figured I’d keep it around to eat any insects that wandered in.
The rooms and hotel had wi-fi available in all locations; however, there were no sockets to connect your Ethernet cable to if your wi-fi had problems.

Restaurant
Plenty of food at all meal times which was generally nicely prepared and tasty. If you’re a vegan then don’t expect much choice as most Mexican foods contain meat, fish, cheese or cream. Breakfast consisted of fruit, cereal, Mexican dishes, pancakes, etc. Lunch and dinner were 3 course meals and they had a reasonable choice. By the way the vegetarian meal had prawns as a starter – figure that one out.

Diving
One great advantage of this destination is that after the 2 dives you get in your package you can have as many shore dives as you want for free. You just sign for a tank and dive where you like. I had a few night dives from the shore next to the hotel. It’s not the most exciting diving but you do get to see lots of life at night. I saw octopus, slipper lobster, a huge spiky lobster, seahorse, morays, rays, parrot fish, hermits, shrimp, to name a few. Max depth was about 20ft.

The packaged diving was fairly varied. We did a mix of deep (130ft) and shallow dives (45ft). I saw rays, toad fish, nurse sharks, lots of turtles, plus the usual array of tropical fish. It’s not as colourful as say the Red Sea, Thailand or the Philippines but is certainly better than Cuba and the Stoney Cove in the UK.

Most of the dives incur an amount of current. This can get fairly strong which means you don’t get much chance to stop and look in crevices. The visibility was usually very good.
I also paid extra for a day’s diving in the Cenotes on the mainland. You can arrange this through the hotel reception and you’ll pay about £90 for the day. If you organise this before you go you can hunt around and get it much cheaper. You do have to get the ferry (about £10 each way) across to Playa Del Carmen at 7am. It’s a great experience and many of the divers I went with thought it was their best dive ever – I thought it was cool but I wouldn’t go that far.

You can also do a Bull shark feeding dive from the mainland. I can’t remember which dive operator did this but it cost about £85 for one dive with them. You should organise this before you go as the hotel could not arrange this for us.

The dive resort staff operated like a well oiled machine but the outfit seemed to lack any personality. Make sure all your equipment is working and present before each dive as they don’t take any spares out with them – if you haven’t got an item with you (e.g. forgotten mask) then hard luck. A few extras you might need to pay for: Torch (£7), Nitrox (£7 per tank), wreck dive (£33), twilight dive which was actually 2 dives (£45).
On most dives abroad you normally get a hard plastic box/create to put your dive stuff in to make things easier to carry. You also normally get a place to hang and store your gear after the dive to dry. Here, you get a locker (which you need to have your own padlock) and no hanger. Also, you need to carry your own gear in whatever bag you brought it in to the boat. If you want to dry your stuff after the diving you need to take it to your room and hang it on your balcony which is a bit of a hassle.

Staff
Hotel service was very good. They were constantly available with additional free water and other drinks (which cost extra).

Location
The hotel is situated about 25 mins walk from the main centre – that of San Miguel. If you want a taxi expect to pay about 60 pesos (£3.50) each way. It’s clean and modern in town but was very quiet at this time of year. You do see loads of cruise ships coming and going throughout the day. I can imagine in summer it gets very busy at times. There are lots of bars and restaurants in town as well as McDonalds and Starbucks.

Mosquitoes
I didn’t see one but a couple of people got the odd bite sitting outside. There were exceptionally few insects around.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank ekcihey

Reviewed April 7, 2011

This is a dive resort on Cozumel, off the coast of Cancun in Mexico.

Overall, I thought the package I bought - inclusive of accommodation, food and dives - was very good value for money. The booking process works very well and the information before and on arrival is very good.

The property itself is dated and looks like it will need some serious renovation fairly soon. The rooms are also very 70s style but they do have everything you need for an enjoyable stay - good free wifi, air-con/ceiling fan, balcony, fridge and strong shower.

The restaurant is small for the number of guests and I found the food to be generally awful - they really didn't have a clue how to cook food without milk products. I suspect you might have more success if you eat dairy and don't mind putting on weight.

As for the diving - the set up is very good - easy access to their boats and free shore diving are both good positives. But I found their dive guides a little impersonal and they don't help with carrying or washing the dive gear.

I also found that the resort lacks a general manager and as such lacks a bit of soul. I could see them easily fixing this up and then I'd happily give them a 4 out of 5.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Zambezikid
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Just back from 7 day stay. Can't say enough good about SCC. All staff was were excellent. Property is well maintained. Food is good with excellent choices. Dive boats are well appointed. We dived with 6-8 divers every day. Divemasters were great at pointing out things. (Thanks Miguel) We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2011

The hotel is "all inclusive" except drinks. And guacomole. They grow avocados in Mexico yet they are too expensive to include in the all inclusive package?

On arrival the door knob was broken and would open with any key. After begging them to fix it they rigged it but it still didn't lock properly. My room (78) was located directly above the dive shop. Each morning between 0646-0730 I woke to the clanging of air tanks. Not a big deal since I wanted to wake up to dive, but my wife would have been mad if I brought her.

The food was so-so but the deserts were great. The maid staff helped themselves to my pesos while I was out diving.

The diving staff was great (on the boats) and Geiser was my dive master. Great guy! The staff in the dive shop was pushy about signing up for their classes when I was asking basic questions.

Overall it's a quick and cheap dive location. After going to Cozumel and seeing how safe it is, I won't stay here next time. I will stay at a local mom and pop style hotel and just pay per dive, and eat off the resort (since I primarily did anyway).

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 28, 2011

We stayed a week at Scuba Club Cozumel. The place, people and diving were wonderful. We stayed there in July 2010 and again in Feb. 2011 and it's consistently great. The dive masters are thorough and really good at spotting marine life. Very professional but also casually friendly. We scored the same divemaster for both trips. Geiser is his name and we always felt incredible safe with him. All the same staff were still there, little turnover. I'm hoping this is an indication that are treated well. The front desk allowed us to change rooms a couple days into the week--to a really nice ocean front room. The garden view room we had in 2010 was also nice. The food is plentiful and tasty. My only complaint and it's minor is the beds are pretty hard. I've heard that's the standard style in Cozumel. Would be nice to have a more cushy bed. Also no weirdness about having a same sex partner.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LunaBellaDexterMi
Reviewed January 31, 2011

Once we decided our next dive trip was in Cozumel, we started searching online for decent accommodation and diving packages. They were numerous but nothing seemed quite convenient or reasonably affordable for our 2-week diving thirst.

Scuba Club Cozumel caught our attention as it was a 5-Star PADI centre and offered a hassle-free dedicated diving solution including accommodation, food, daily boat expeditions, shore dives, night dives and specialty training. Compared to our previous findings, they also offered very competitive prices. It was almost too good to be true so we carefully surveyed online reviews before booking. Most being very positive, we decided to go ahead and after a two-week stay, we wouldn’t go anywhere else to dive in Cozumel!

The Club is set-up for divers: it has its own boats, crews, dive shop, dive-masters and instructors. It also offers convenient shore access and unlimited shore dives. Close-by gear lockers are at guest’s disposal and close to the shore and dock, as well as fresh water dunk tanks, making it easy to carry and store your gear for the following dive. For stuff you need to dry like wetsuits, each room has its own balcony or terrace with a solid hanging bar.

The dive trips were well organised, boats and staff on time and ready, different dive sites picked daily. We were greeted with professional and friendly care and great attention was placed on divers preps by experienced boat crew with Drift Diving requirements. Our designated dive-master was Ariel and we can’t thank him enough for the smooth guidance and amazing wonders he made us discover underwater.

We took advantage of Cozumel’s natural drift dive environment as well as the Club’s credentials to undergo PADI’s Drift Diving Specialty certification. (When we studied the PADI Drift Diving textbook, we weren’t surprised to notice most - if not all - pictures included were taken of Scuba Club Cozumel boats and crew!)

On another note, we were also impressed with the food. It was outstanding – above our expectations, and as a French woman, I know what I’m talking about! It was extremely fresh, wonderfully tasteful and very well balanced. The service was also notable as the staff was professional and muy simpatico!

The only thing we missed is a little background music in the dining areas which were way too quiet at times. A greater wine selection at dinner time would be another suggestion as too few decent options were reasonably priced... Mind you, Cervesas or great Margaritas were sound alternatives!

Located walking distance from its central town San-Miguel was also appealing for any errand needed out of the resort.

Cozumel is a must-see destination for any diver as its corals and marine life is as abundant as beautiful. I definitely recommend the Scuba Club to any diver and understand why so many divers return trip after trip!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2011

If you love to dive and want a great location, then this is the place to go. Only ten minutes from town by foot (and close to two great supermarkets), Scuba Club is a great little place. This is not a full-service resort with a beach and bar scene, but caters to visitors who want to dive and/or be close to town.(Non divers will feel welcome!) The rooms are well kept and basic, but everything was clean and tidy. All of the staff were very friendly, and the atmosphere was great...not much noise at all anywhere at the resort. Dive operation was well run. In terms of the food, we did the all-inclusive 3 meal a day plan. Food was average, no raves, no complaints. They do cater to special dietary needs...just let them know. Would I go back? Yes!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends