“Best resort on the island for diving”
Review of Iberostar Cozumel

Iberostar Cozumel
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersGold level
usa
“Best resort on the island for diving”
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Just got back from my 6th stay at the Iberostar..we go primarily for the diving
This IS NOT the Rizt..

It is located about 25 minutes from town

rooms... are SMALL and the water pressure is dismal and the hot water is hit and miss (taking a shower is an event) the maid service is efficient and the rooms are clean...great hammocks at all rooms...the lower number buildings are closer to the beach and dive shop, ..small safes in rooms

food...the food is average but about what i would expect..the specialty restaurants are ok but not the reason you visit the resort..dont forget the specialty restaurants require men to wear long pants and shoes...the steak house didnt require this

beach...the beach is nice with plenty of shade and chairs...there is a beach bar and service there as well..the entrance to the ocean is rocky..sometimes bugs are an issue so take spray,... great sunsets

pool...cold this time of year...bar there with plenty of chairs..lots of games and activities

service...generally very good..the people there are friendly and helpful imo...TIP THEM !

shows... nightly but unimportant to me

dive operation...on site, Dressel Divers operates the operation there and they are excellent , prepared and SAFE imo..very imformed and professional dive masters...big boats so be prepared for lots of divers sometimes..the resort is the southern most on the island so closest to the best reefs

fitness center...adequate....

wildlife...lots of fun animals cruising around the property, peacocks, flamingos, iguanas

overall I love this resort because it meets my expectations and purpose...

If you are looking for fantastic food and ultra luxury, this is not the place to go...if you are a diver this is the perfect resort ! if i would rate the Iberostar it would be maybe 3 stars

I will be back next year

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank stkdog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,025)
  • Polish first
toronto
Reviewed February 22, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed our stay in Iberostar very much.
The resort is beautiful paradise with iguanas,flamingos,peacocks.The employees were
all fantastic.We have been in Punta Cana,Puerto Plata, Samana,Varadero,Holguin ,Cayo Coco, but this hotel has the best service and this island is fantastic and save to explore .
The food was great. We loved the buffet .Pool is nice but we love an ocean. The beach is very nice not perfect,water shoes important to have.Please rent the car and see the other side of the island. It is a perfect place to refresh the love for your spouse .We loved it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mikiToronto
South Haven, Michigan
Reviewed February 20, 2011

The staff here was incredibly friendly, accommodating and wonderful considering the amount of hours I am sure they are working for what I assume is very little pay. Several of the staff members learned all of our names the very first day. They remembered each of us and would ask about us by the pool, at meals, etc. We learned their names too and as a group of women we very much enjoyed the attention from the attractive mexican men who were in bathing suits all day! ;) They would often sit with us at lunch, get us to play soccer on the beach, do morning yoga etc. They encouraged us to go to the dance club at night and just generally made our trip fun, memorable and should be recognized for all of their amazing service.

2. The grounds are absolutely beautiful.

3. The food, pool, activities, etc. are all great.

4. Rooms are average. For the price we paid I wasn't surprised. They were a bit damp smelling, the blow dryer was very weird and unusable and the beds are hard. The balcony with hammocks were nice.

5. Nightlife is average. The dance club was pretty dead. I don't think it's the kind of place you go to if you want to party a lot. The resort is a good 30-40 minute ride from downtown Cozumel and I believe (if I can remember) it's about $40 for a taxi ride into town. We did go into town a few times to go shopping, on excursions etc. It's worth the trip if you want to do something classically Mexico like go to Carlos N Charlies (which was the highlight of our trip) or Senor Frogs.

6. The beach is rocky but I would suggest spending a day or two snorkeling, kayaking or using the other options they have for the beach.

7. An issue I have with resorts/crusies in general is when there is a designated "childrens" section of the pool and people don't abide by that rule. We did have some screaming kids splashing us and taking up seats at the crowded swim up bar. I know this is not the resort's fault, but is the reason that I am now going only to adult only resorts.

8. The main complaint we had is that the agent who we were booking our excursions through was very pushy. I didn't mind it, as I have travelled a lot and I am used to people who are paid based on commission. However, he called our room several times and we would have liked him to leave us to relax on our vacation.

Overall this is a great family resort, especially for spring break groups. My 17 year old cousin and her friend had a blast because there were a ton of other teenagers there they met/hung out with.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank kjpurcell
Ontario, Canada

Hello everyone,
Iberostar Cozumel was a wonderful experience.
The food was great, there was always something for even picky eaters to eat. The beach was rocky - yes... most people who went into the water were snorkeling. That being said, if you have small children who like the beach for it being a beach, i Wouldn't recommend this resort to you. I witnessed one little girl take a tumble near the water's edge. If you are fine with going in off the pier or you will be doing your swimming in a pool only - you are fine.
The resort was not too crowded which was a nice change for me. You were able to get a towel, grab a seat.. no need to reserve loungers or anything.
The staff here were amazing. The StarFriends were all very friendly and made sure everyone was having fun... there were games by the pool each day with prizes and other activities throughout the resort.
One day the chef taught us how to make paella down by the beach... very fun!
If you want an entertaining waiter in the buffet restaurant, ask for Ruben... and if you are daring... ask for a blue slammer from him!
Oh and a really fun excursion was the Xrail jungle tour (dune buggies through the jungle, swim in a cenote/bate cave), we booked it through our Air Canada representative (Pierre)......... be prepared for mud!
And a note of caution - when it rains the pathways and stairs to the villas are EXTREMELY slippery... I fell on some of the steps and I am an able bodied individual... be careful!

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ohno_kiki
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 18, 2011

My wife and I booked through Westjet Vacations and we had a great time. OUr first time to Mexico, so we cant compare to other all inclsives.

Service: Awesome service. Requested a Mattress topper ASAP, and it arrived at our room on the first day. Our lock was broke on our door, guy came in the RAIN to fix it right away.

Food: Food was fine. It got a little boring after a few days, but it tasted fine. Its all about creating your own dishes.

Activities: We went to a couple shows, seemed a little hokey for us. Though the Las Veags show was funny. Hollywood Stars was TERRIBLE

Rooms: We were in room 4404, right smack in the middle of the jungle. No ocean view, but we loved the isolation. It felt like we were in a jungle hut. The hammock got lots of use, very relaxing. Rooms were small, but we didnt spend much time in the room, too much to see on the island.

Grounds: The resort is amazing, Flamingos, turtles, iguanas, peacocks, McCaws, parrots, and more. We saw some bats at night as well. The grounds were WELL kept and the place was clean. WE got lost a few times in the first few days, but it was fun trying to navigate back to our room through all the pathways.

SPA: my wife went to the spa and had a great couple hours. She said they over and above what she paid for.

The lobby was nice, quite at times, and noisy at times, but fun place to hang out and meet new people. a la carte restaurants were OK. Steakhouse was Great, We also ate at the Mexican restaurant, we left hungry, the portions are not big. So we went to the buffet after. No biggie.

Lots of cool stuff to do and see on the island. Island tour was awesome, we swan with the dolphins at Dolphinaris and went spearfishing in town. cant complain about anything so far.

Island tour is recommended, the east side is beautiful and quite. Nice little shops along the beaches.

San Miguel is fun. But you need to be ready for some serous high pressure sales people trying for your business. At first it was over whelming, but after an hour or so, it was just funny. I recommend Toros's Restaurant for a nice place in town to eat. Its beside Mcdonalds. Service was awesome and food was great!! (see my review for it)

Cab ride to town is $20 USD, one way. So, try to car pool with someone else to save some money.

Remember a $1 USD goes a long way for the locals, remember to tip for good service, you wont be disappointed.

Last thing, If in town, go 2-3 blocks off the main strip to get gifts. They are nicer and cheaper 2-3 blocks in. And easier to bargain with. NEVER pay full price for gifts. I wanted to buy a shark-tooth necklace from a vendor. She said $25 USD each!! I said no-way (with a smile) she cam down a bit, i went even lower. I ended up getting 3 shark tooth necklaces for $11 USD. Fun times!!

I will go back to the IBEROSTAR, great time on our 7 day vacation.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank The_Goat_Trav
Montreal
Reviewed February 18, 2011

We traveled 2 couples (2 rooms) Aged between 37 and 55 from Montreal (Canada) and Nantes (France)

We enjoyed our stay at the Iberostar, the site was very clean and well kept, the staff were very courteous and it was clear that there goal was for you to have a good time no matter what had to be done, the food was great specially for breakfast and dinner, lunch was very repetitive but passable, you may not have the same opinion on the food if you often eat American food, reheated pizza and hamburgers are not that great. The accommodations were very well thought, we enjoy the little bungalow type units lodging a max of 4 rooms. Lots of fishes to see in the ocean right off the dock and within 5km of great locations for snorkeling right from the shore. The entertainment was sometimes amateur and sometimes impressive they also have a discotheque and you and your gang will probably be the only ones there making it a nice private party. Driving in Cozumel is easy and fun, it's not worth it to cross to the main land by ferry with your car for only one day, because the ferry closes early, it takes overall 2hours one way.

On the down side, great snorkeling (and tuba) also means poor beaches, you do need to where scuba shoes to get into the water, however, all of the islands beaches are public and there's a few good ones if you have a means of transportation. The insulation between rooms is quite poor, I could not hear people speak but I could hear babies crying, a guy pissing, safe-box closing, the banging of love making, we mostly had good neighbors so this wasn't too much of a problem but it could have been a lot worse. The DJ at the discotheque was nice enough but we had problems getting our requests played, I think probably due to an outdated DJ software that made it hard to search for the right artists/songs ans styles (easier on youtube!). I would be great if they would rent bicycles from the hotel because so many things are very close by but a little too far to walk, next time I will bring my own!

The only real problem we had was not directly with the hotel but with the Thrifty/Dollar Car Rental outlet situated right at the hotel. I must say that back home I am the General Manager of a Days Inn hotel so I do no what I'm talking about. I believe it is a nasty habit to always quote people in American Dollars, specially that not the majority of tourists were from there, we decided to pay everything in pesos while in Mexico and in all places we've been it actually was cheaper to pay in Pesos than in US$. There's even a new law over there saying that we can not pay in US$ anymore, but it is still largely accepted. I found it frustrating that the ATM at the hotel only distributed US$. Getting back to Thrifty, they quoted us always in US$, even on the contract is was all in US$, even though there is a spot to write it in pesos. In the small print it says that the exchange rate is X13 meaning that 100US$ is actually 1300 Pesos, this could be mistaken for the exchange rate when you will pay with your credit card (that's all they accept) but it is not. 1st, at the time of our visit, all business converting US$ into pesos did it at X10 or 11 so the X13 rate was already too expensive. 2nd You actually pay 2 times the exchange because what they do at the time of payment is this: i.e.: 100$ x 13 = 1300 Pesos ) in reality at that time 1300 pesos equals to 110US$, then they charges your credit card in pesos, meaning you credit card/bank will then convert it back to your currency with all applicable fees and margins (which is normal). Meaning that at the end, and this will depend on your credit card company, your 100$ becomes 110$ at Thrifty and then it becomes around 115 to 120$ after the credit card transaction. In our case, for a 3 day rental with insurance, it translated to roughly 50US$ extra(excluding credit card charges). Of course the four of us will not go broke over 50$, and we do expect to get ripped off a little when outside of the hotel but we expected to be safe from that withing the confines of the resort . Specially that the prices advertised at Thrifty are about 30% more expensive that what you can find outside the resort but it was convenient and felt safe with the hotel approved vendor.

This is, in my opinion a scam, we met people from other rooms who felt the same way, I discussed this with the front desk manager, who was just great, she then relayed the info to the General Manager and the Thrifty Manager, the responds I got from Thrifty hid behind the small print and were far from being satisfactory. It is is for that reason that I'm posting this comment because they have not taken any steps to remedy this. All I really ask is that all quotes should be done both in Pesos and Dollars to avoid any confusion.

This in no way ruined our vacation, and all the steps I took with this complaint were done with a smile in keeping in mind the guest satisfaction throughout the hotel, this is second nature to me since I work in the feel also.

My main language is French, I apologize for any mistakes in spelling and grammar.

Have a nice vacation.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Voist44
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 16, 2011

We just got back from one week there. We have been @ Riviera Maya 5 times and cruised to Cozumel twice. While the Iberostar physical resort is not that great, it was very pretty, the resort was just the right size to get to really meet people and the help. The service was great, food was very good. The diving was awesome and convienent. If there were any issues that folks might have they would be (beds were hard, did not bother us) (rooms were not that great but we do not spend much time in the room) (the shows were not that good - but the help that put them on really gave great effort and were very entertaining). We would definately go back again. IF you do go, you have to try Alberto's next door at night. The food was fantastic and entertainment was fun. It is only 400 ft. down the beach.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple