What can I say other than I loved my vacation. Overall the hotel was very clean and well kept. People I think need to keep in mind that it is the jungle and it is tropical. Yes there are sand fleas (bug spray works) and yes there are lizards and other tropical birds running around. If you are expecting a 5 star palace this place is not for you. I you want a nice quite resort with great diving this is the place.
We did alot of diving and boy was it fantastic. The area is beautiful with some of the best reefs and marine life I have seen to date. Even had a up close and personal encounter with a turtle and eagle ray.
Some things to bring -
bug spray - water shoes -
The beach is rocky, but there are lots of fish by the pier. If you borrow a bannana or peice of bread at breakfast the fish LOVE it. They will literally swarm you to get at the food. There are stairs leading down the dock into the water but water shoes are a must.
Also DEFINITELY take the short walk down the beach to Albertos, My wife and I ordered the seafood plate for 2, for $65. Not only was it some of the best seafood I have ever had, but the torches, sitting on the beach and the tunes were great. Also spiced up the semi repeating buffet a little. It made for a very romantic meal that we just loved to peices.
As for food on the resort, it met with my expectations. Not great, not terrible. Basically if you are expecting a gastronomic adventure this is not the place for you. Breakfast, lunch & dinner was much the same each day. It would not take much say to throw crepes or some other item in on alternate days. But probably having a static menu cuts down on costs. There was however a good selection and I could always find something that I liked.
The mexican and steak houses were great too. I recommend the beef taco from the mexican and the tequilla beef at the steakhouse. The beef come with quite a nice little show with burning tequila too.
Managment was always very visible on the resort (which I liked) and they asked often how our stay was. While I did not suggest it at the time, I would change the following.
1) the mini bar is restocked every second day. It would be nice to have a card that indicates beverage choices for those that do not like beer and prefer for diet coke etc...
2) bring a 15' chunk of rope or line. They have super nice balconies but there is nowhere other than on the backs of chairs to dry BCD's, bathing suits, wetsuits etc... If you bring rope you can make your own clothes line out of the porch posts. It would be cheap and simple for them to implement, especially because wet things in the meeting rooms tend to make it musty.
3) the seating for the shows is terrible. It is row style seating which in my mind limits the number of people who go. If they put small tables in and make it more dinner style seating they would likely get a better response as people could have a place to put drinks etc... If you go early enough though you can grab one of the tables in the back corner rather than holding a sweating drink all evening.
4) while the hotel has internet there is no printer. This makes getting boarding passes or confirmations printed down there a pain. It would be nice if they had a printer say at the front desk that you paid for by the page or something but alas this is not something the hotel has though of at present.
Otherwise I was super impressed with the resort and with all the other features. We had a great time and will be comming back hopefully in a few months. The diving staff at the dive shop were super helpful (more expensive than some places) but the opperation seemed clean and professional. I never had an issue with having to come up before my tank or deco limits were hit, as the water clarity was so good that the guides just indicated for us to do the dive and finish to our limits and they would watch from up top or from the safety stop.
If you are an avid diver definitely get your nitrox cert as you will not be able to do all the available dives each day without hitting the nitro limits on air.
All in all a fantastic vacation on a good resort. Note that shopping is a $20 to town each way, so that adds up fast if you are an avid shopper.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Directly on the beach, in a rocky, coral–filled cove with unspoilt waters. A paradise for diving and snorkelling. Sub-tropical mangrove forest. Bungalows in typical local style. Second-largest reef in the World. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Visit Us Inc., Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Iberostar Cozumel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Cozumel Hotel Cozumel
- Cozumel Iberostar
- Iberostar Cozumel Mexico