“Relaxed and loving it”

GreenLeadersGold level
edmonton
“Relaxed and loving it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

What can I say other than I loved my vacation. Overall the hotel was very clean and well kept. People I think need to keep in mind that it is the jungle and it is tropical. Yes there are sand fleas (bug spray works) and yes there are lizards and other tropical birds running around. If you are expecting a 5 star palace this place is not for you. I you want a nice quite resort with great diving this is the place.

We did alot of diving and boy was it fantastic. The area is beautiful with some of the best reefs and marine life I have seen to date. Even had a up close and personal encounter with a turtle and eagle ray.

Some things to bring -
bug spray - water shoes -

The beach is rocky, but there are lots of fish by the pier. If you borrow a bannana or peice of bread at breakfast the fish LOVE it. They will literally swarm you to get at the food. There are stairs leading down the dock into the water but water shoes are a must.

Also DEFINITELY take the short walk down the beach to Albertos, My wife and I ordered the seafood plate for 2, for $65. Not only was it some of the best seafood I have ever had, but the torches, sitting on the beach and the tunes were great. Also spiced up the semi repeating buffet a little. It made for a very romantic meal that we just loved to peices.

As for food on the resort, it met with my expectations. Not great, not terrible. Basically if you are expecting a gastronomic adventure this is not the place for you. Breakfast, lunch & dinner was much the same each day. It would not take much say to throw crepes or some other item in on alternate days. But probably having a static menu cuts down on costs. There was however a good selection and I could always find something that I liked.

The mexican and steak houses were great too. I recommend the beef taco from the mexican and the tequilla beef at the steakhouse. The beef come with quite a nice little show with burning tequila too.

Managment was always very visible on the resort (which I liked) and they asked often how our stay was. While I did not suggest it at the time, I would change the following.

1) the mini bar is restocked every second day. It would be nice to have a card that indicates beverage choices for those that do not like beer and prefer for diet coke etc...

2) bring a 15' chunk of rope or line. They have super nice balconies but there is nowhere other than on the backs of chairs to dry BCD's, bathing suits, wetsuits etc... If you bring rope you can make your own clothes line out of the porch posts. It would be cheap and simple for them to implement, especially because wet things in the meeting rooms tend to make it musty.

3) the seating for the shows is terrible. It is row style seating which in my mind limits the number of people who go. If they put small tables in and make it more dinner style seating they would likely get a better response as people could have a place to put drinks etc... If you go early enough though you can grab one of the tables in the back corner rather than holding a sweating drink all evening.

4) while the hotel has internet there is no printer. This makes getting boarding passes or confirmations printed down there a pain. It would be nice if they had a printer say at the front desk that you paid for by the page or something but alas this is not something the hotel has though of at present.

Otherwise I was super impressed with the resort and with all the other features. We had a great time and will be comming back hopefully in a few months. The diving staff at the dive shop were super helpful (more expensive than some places) but the opperation seemed clean and professional. I never had an issue with having to come up before my tank or deco limits were hit, as the water clarity was so good that the guides just indicated for us to do the dive and finish to our limits and they would watch from up top or from the safety stop.

If you are an avid diver definitely get your nitrox cert as you will not be able to do all the available dives each day without hitting the nitro limits on air.

All in all a fantastic vacation on a good resort. Note that shopping is a $20 to town each way, so that adds up fast if you are an avid shopper.

2 Thank matt_chrs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (987)
  • Polish first
Bowmanville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2011

Travelled to this resort with my husband and another couple from January 23-30. We arrived 12 hours late due to flight delays; however when we arrived at the resort about 1am - we were greeted by friendly staff and a welcome cocktail. Checkin was smooth (thanks to Nester), we were waiting to be taken to our rooms by the bell hop but no need to wait too long - it was Nester to the rescue! A late night walk through some of the resort we stumbled upon Pedro who led us to the Disco where we enjoyed a late-night cocktail.

The rooms with double beds are sufficient although closet access was a little tight, we were relocated the first day of our stay to a room with a king bed, which was large enough for what we needed - afterall we were not in Mexico to stay in our room. Water temperature in the shower fluctuates during showers, so be careful not to turn too hot! Beds are quite firm, but you can ask for a mattress topper for added comfort.

The main buffet for breakfast and dinner (different themes each night), the buffet for lunch is nearer to the pool and beach area - quite convenient for a mid-day snack. The food is great - great variety - something for everyone. We enjoyed 2 a-la-carte meals - Mexican - great food; and steak house - not quite as good as the Mexican.

The pool is awesome - quite large - very refreshing and clean, loungers were never hard to find. The beach was great, with no shortage of chairs. Water access is quite rocky - water shoes helpful - there is access to the water from the pier - great snorkeling.

The grounds are beautiful and lush - perfectly manicured. This resort is very peaceful and relaxing. The wildlife around the resort is really nice - flamingos, iguanas and peacocks to name a few.

The Eco-Truck tour was a great excursion - a visit to Punta Sur and parts of the island we would not normally have seen. Great value for the $.

Cabs are available from the main lobby - cab into town is $20US.

The main lobby has a alot of seats, nice place to gather and enjoy a drink before dinner.

Our Sunquest Rep Lu, was very friendly and always available to answer questions and enjoy a few laughs with - Thanks Lu.

The staff at this resort are great! Always friendly and willing to help.

In summary - we were extremely happy with this resort - can't wait to go back.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

Hotel is nice, even though the room standard is more like 3 star then 5 star. nice beach and good pool. Buffet is OK but far from fantastic. Biggest disappointment was that my computer was stolen from my room (safety deposit boxes are to small to fit a laptop).W hen I went to report it to the front desk I din´t even got a "I´m sorry " Just seemed to be a big inconvenience for the staff. Filed a report for the hotel. On the bottom of the report it said more or less that if you sign this you don´t have any right for compensations, I was then told that I wouldn't get a copy for my insurance company if I dint sign it. I asked to se the manager that was "to busy" for the moment and then "busy" next time I asked to see him the morning I had to leave. I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay at this hotel. The staff was rude and unhelpful

5 Thank AxelOberg
Courtice, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2011

My husband and I (early 40's) stayed at the Iberostar Cozumel from Jan. 23rd until Jan. 30th and thoroughly enjoyed our vacation. The resort was at 65% capacity. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

FLIGHT – Our flight was delayed for 12 ½ hours so we did arrive in the wee hours around 1AM. Of course, no fault of the resort, but an issue with Thomas Cook.

ARRIVAL – We gathered outside and met our Sunquest Rep, Lu and got assigned a taxi to the Iberostar. The ride to the hotel was about 15-20 minutes. They are doing construction on the main road so we did have to take a detour. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by friendly staff and assigned our rooms. We were suppose to wait for the Bell Hop, but Nester came from behind the desk and took us by golf cart to our rooms.

ROOM – At first I found the room small, but it grew on me during the week. The Villas are nicely laid out and extremely clean. We had a king size bed and I did understand that those with 2 twin beds, found the space tight. There is no tub in these rooms, shower only. We did not have hot water our first day, but found if you ran the hot water for 10 minutes, we were set for the week. We found our mattress hard, but a note & a few ones left for our maid, took care of that. The next day we had a mattress topper. Although they say the fridges were to be topped up every other day, I found ours was topped up daily.

BEACH – Yes, it is very rocky. Some people would enter from the shoreline and I could see them wince with each step. The best way to enter the water was at the ladder off the pier or wear water shoes. The snorkelling out front was very good. If you didn't bring your own, you can get it from the water activity desk for one hour free. I believe you had to pay $2US as an Eco fee.

DAY TRIPS – We did the Eco Truck tour which took us around the island in a military style truck. They provided us with beer, water and soft drinks all day. The first stop was snorkelling, then we toured over to the south east point of the island where we saw crocodiles, a light house and a small Mayan Ruin. We had lunch at a beach side bar and spent some time in the loungers or walking down the beach. After lunch we visited a tequila factory (more like a museum ~ taste testing involved ~ yummy) and then spent about an hour downtown. A cab was arranged to bring us back to the resort. The cost of this trip was $75 US.
Our second day trip was on the Atlantis Submarine. We had to arrange for our own ride into the Atlantis. A cab one-way there was $14 US. We were taken out to the submarine which took about 15 minutes. Once there we saw the submarine submerge and they secured it for boarding. The pervious passengers disembarked and then we entered. |The submarine holds about 48 passengers. We went under water about 120 ft. and saw some amazing fish and coral. We were under water for about 40 minutes. The cost of the excursion was $90US. We took a cab afterwards further to downtown which cost 80 pesos. It was nice to go shopping and check out the town.

RESTURANTS – We did not go to the International restaurant. The Mexican Restaurant was excellent and the Steak House was okay. The buffet was great and always had a good selection.

EXCHANGE RATE AT HOTEL - While we were there it was $10.90 pesos for $1Cdn. If you wanted to exchange US funds, they would have to photo copy your passport.

I hope you found this helpful. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

2 Thank Powlz
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2011

We stayed at the Iberostar Cozumel from Jan. 16-23, 2011. We booked it 3 days before, when problems arose at the Wyndham Cozumel where were were first booked. Since we booked through Sunwing and got their Worry Free Platinum Insurance, switching resorts was a breeze and totally worth the $70 for the insurance. I travelled with my husband and our friend. We had adjoining rooms - 2503 and 2504. 03 has a king bed and 04 has two doubles.

The resort is adorable! We've never booked something with so little research but we totally lucked out with this place. The property is incredible. They maintain the gardens to perfection. Having flamingos, iguanas and peacocks on the property was a nice treat. Several evenings, we'd leave our patio door open and a couple of peacocks wandered by and almost walked in! Our friend woke several mornings with Fred the Iguana on her deck! This was a nice touch that many resorts don't have.

The pool was very nice and very clean. Getting a lounge at the pool or on the beach was never a problem. Public washrooms were very clean, as was the entire property. The beach was clean and also very nice. They do have a problem with sand fleas. We brought DEET and used it and I still got a few bites but it was not too bad. Some people did get bad bites. I would suggest reading up on sand fleas so you know what to do if you get bitten. Cold compresses, Ibuprofen, Benadryl, etc. all will help.

One day on the beach, they had a beach party at lunchtime. They made paella and had everyone get involved in the cooking. It was such fun! After everything was put into it, they covered it to allow it to cook, and had games on the beach. Then everyone gathered around and enjoyed an incredible feast! On another day, they cut down coconuts from the trees on the beach, and then cut them open, and allowed people to have one. Cocunut rum was optional and quite delicious!

Wait staff were very friendly. They all take very good care of you, whether you tip them or not. We did tip but occasionally, we'd forget our tip in the room, and it would make no difference. Drinks were as strong as you want them.

Meals were excellent. It is fairly similar every day but they try to change it up with different themes. Crab claws, salmon, fish and shrimp were available a number of times throughout the week. The pasta station was very good, as was the specialty dessert station (which we only saw one night). The steakhouse a la carte was excellent. Service was probably the slowest we had all week but it was still acceptable. The Mexican restaurant was our favourite. The tacos and taco soup were very good. You need to reserve in advance. We would recommend reserving on your first day there. All our reservations were at 8:30. If you want something earlier, you would need to book as soon as you arrive.

The rooms were very nice. People complain about them being small but they are definitely not the smallest we have ever stayed in and were very comfortable. The shower was exactly like all the other Mexican showers we have used. It works just great but the temperature can fluctuate a bit. No biggie....we are in Mexico, not NYC. The matresses are very hard but that wasn't a problem for us or our friend. Having the adjoining room was perfect for us, as she was travelling alone. The TV worked great in both rooms, as did the safe and air conditioning.

Thrifty Car Rental is on site and we would recommend renting there, rather than in town. The taxi fare one day to town is $20. If you add $40 to the price of your rental in town, it's far cheaper to rent at the hotel. We rented a Jeep for 24 hours. The cost including the insurance with no deductable was $105 inclusive. (When we rented in town on another trip, we had paid $85 plus insurance, and the rental was just for half a day). Filling up with gas cost us $12 and we drove around the whole island, and checked out a few remove spots. We felt very safe and enjoyed stopping at interesting places along the way. We did not get to Punta Sur! There just wasn't time, as we had to get back to the resort for a phone call but we hear that it is really lovely to go up the lighthouse. Next time we will do it for usre.

This was such a relaxing trip for us that we didn't get to the disco once. We did go to several of the shows and they were all quite good. The animation team works hard to make sure everyone has a good time....not just during the show, but all day long. They do not bother you if you don't participate, and make you feel welcome all the time.

We loved the chef! She would come out at breakfast, lunch, dinner and at the a la carte's and she would always stop at our table and chat. She is a lovely lady and very interested in how the food is.

We even received a phone call in the middle of the week asking us how everything was, which is something that no other resort has bothered to do.

We have no complaints about this resort. It was just a wonderful vacation that will last in memory until the next one. Not posting any pictures because there are plenty on this website. It is exactly as you see it.

2 Thank Judy_and_Doug
Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2011

Second trip to Iberostar after approximately 40 times in Cozumel. Previously stayed at Allegro and Occidental Grand. Changed because of the dive shop (see review of Dressel Divers). I question the Golden Apple rating v the Red Apple rating compared to the Gand, but this is a nice resort, especially if you are diving. Under any circumstances these are not 5 star resorts compared to the US. Rooms are small, but adequate and are very clean. Not a lot of water pressure in the bathrooms, but again adequate and we always had hot water. Buffet was very good. Best of the other resorts we have used. The speciality restaurants were not good. Steak house food was terrible. Sent back two steaks and gave up. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Pool is nice and good service around the pool. We like the snack bar down by the pool where lunch is served and is also a place where you can sit inside and enjoy the day even if it is a little rainy. Also the main lobby is a very nice place to go and just sit and read and then gather before dinner. We will be back in May

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank summerlady
Napanee, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2011

We stayed at the Iberostar from January 16th to the 23rd and had a wonderful time. The staff were extremely friendly and made our holiday memorable. The food was very good in the buffet with lots of choice and the Steak Restaurant and Mexican Restaurant were fabulous. The Mexican Restaurant prepared a steak kabob with a touch of tequila that was the best meal I experienced during my holiday. The presentation at the table as the waiter prepared the tequila sauce was spectacular. The waiter lit the tequila on fire and then drizzled it over the steak.

The beach was very nice and clean however not great for walking. You had to go to the end of the dock and enter the water that way but the water is clear and you can see several different species of fish. It was beautiful also.

The staff were the best!!!! Nester, Perla and all the entertainment staff were absolutely awesome. The wait staff were attentive and remembered what you drank, what you liked for breakfast beverages and were friendly and always had a smile. It made the holiday when everyone you dealt with was happy and friendly.