“I loved this resort”

GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“I loved this resort”
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I just returned from a week at the Iberostar. I went with two other friends on an all-inclusive through Sunquest, from Toronto. I have been going south for 20 years now, sometimes twice a year, and I have been to lots of all-inclusives. I really loved this hotel, it would be one of my top 3 hotels except for swimmng in the ocean. The beach here is quite nice, but where the water starts it is very rocky and uninviting. I have to say that I compare all beaches to my beloved Bavaro Beach in Punta Cana, DR. One of my friends is a diver and went on two fabulous dives. She would have gone on more except we had terrible weather this week. Once that is said the rest of the resort is beautiful. It is small and beautifully landscaped. The rooms are called "huts" and each room is round. They are equipped with everything you need, including a hairdryer and a coffee maker. My bed was great. It was a little on the firm side but very very comfortable. I always take a pillow because some resorts have terrible ones, but I didn't need to here. The pillows were great.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. The pool was very nice with a swim up bar. The lunch restaurant was right beside the pool with drinks and coffee available all day. They had activities on one side of the pool all day but it was not a disturbance for people on the other side of the pool who did not wish to participate.
The food at this resort was the best I have ever had at an all inclusive. I have been to some very high end resorts and the food here was better. We went to the steakhouse and the Mexican restaurant and next time, I wouldn't bother. The buffet is so good with so much to choose from and of course you can go whenever you want (no reservations).
One way that they could improve would be to offer WiFi throughout the resort. You could only access it in the lobby and buffet and you had to pay for blocks of time. If you didn't use the time all at once you couldn't go back and finish at another time. It was a bit on the expensive side too.
Because of the weather, we went in to town on two days. It costs $20.00 US each way to go in. The taxis are very very small. Even my small friends had a hard time getting in and out of them. On our last trip we discovered we could have had a van for the same price. There is always a car and a van at the hotel. So if you are going, ask for the van, you see more too.
We bought some jewellry from a booth on the street the first day. I was so proud of myself, having bargaine Jose down from $180.00 to $100.00 for a really nice silver chain. My friend bought one for $70.00. The next day when we were in town, someone suggested that our chains might not be silver. There is a government office where you can have it tested. My friend took hers there and sure enough, it was not real. Two officials accompanied us back to the "store" where we were promptly given our money back and we were told they would be fined 2,000 pesos or $200.00 USD for each infraction. They put the chains right back on the display racks. Guess they were getting ready for the next dupe.
We went to Carlos and Charlies for lunch the first day. It is a really fun place to go. The second day we went to The Mission and paid $100.00 US for two lobster lunches and one coconus shrimp, 3 tortilla soups and 6 cocktail. It was worth it. The food was very good.
If you are a diver, this is definitely the place to go!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank AuntyBarby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,041)
  • Polish first
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed January 15, 2011

I love iberostar the best, it is a small resort but the food is real good the rooms or clean the beach is O.K it is rockey at some parts but if you love nature then this is for you,the staff is very nice the pool is very clean the show or funny after a few drinks but over all i give it 9 out of 10 for my 3 days with my family.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank vincent1182
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 14, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the hotel Jan. 6-10 2011 and had a great time. Are their a few things hotel can do better? Of course, but overall it was a great vacation-probably the best we have been on. Below, I have outlined some positives and just a few negatives of the hotel.

Rooms-the rooms were a little small but were kept very clean and fresh towels and the fridge were stocked daily. Some reviews commented on bed bugs or fleas in the rooms, we never saw any-if you are worried about, bring a can of insect spray with you and spray around the room. The only negative for the room was the hard bed. It was by far the hardest bed I have ever slept on-if you are worried about that, ask the front desk for a mattress pad.
Food-the buffet was pretty good. They did serve some of the same items everday it seemed but overall I was impressed with the selection, especially at dinner. We have stayed at other all-inclusives and the Iberostar was probably the best for the money . I will say, there are a lot of great resturants in San Miguel. If you go into town, definately try a couple of them out just to change up the monotony of the buffets.
Grounds-If you are looking for a high-rise then look elsewhere. We did the Cancun high-rise thing last year and had a good time but after staying at the Iberostar I am glad we did not go there again. The grounds are spread out in a somewhat lush tropical maze. The walkways wind through the property with palm trees and shrubs everywhere-it gives a very Caribbean jungle-like feel-amazing!
Pool/Beach areas-the pool was great-plenty of lounge chairs for everyone during the stay. We never used the swim-up bar thanks to Victor-we kept him busy bringing us the drinks. The beach is very nice as well-the sand was easy to walk on but swimming in the ocean is another matter. Beyond the sand is limestone so water shoes would be a good idea. We really never saw anyone swimming, only snorkelers. Unlike a review I read from a certain book, the water was very clear all the way past the pier which is on the property.
Nightlife-the Star Friends try really hard to get people involved for their acts but for the most part the hotel is fairly quiet-at least when we were there. People need to remember this is not Cancun. Cozumel, and the Iberostar for that matter are much more laid back.
One last thing I will mention is tipping. Like anywhere, you get the best service if you tip. A dollar per drink, a couple of dollars to the maid will get you special treatment. These people work hard so we didn't mind tipping the people who had given us the best service.

Overall, a great vacation at a great hotel. Don't fret the small stuff and go have fun!
We had a great time and if we go back to Cozumel, we would definately stay at there again.

Chardon, Ohio
Reviewed January 14, 2011

What a nice place for a relaxing vacation. Dont go if you want night life ; its pretty much on the poor side. Not why we went. The food was average Mexican. Sometimes not very hot, but a good variety. I didnt like the cats walking around the dinning room tho.
Same two cats all the time. The service was great and maids wonderful. Yes, get a mattress topper when you check in and you will be able to sleep confortablly.
You cant get a better spot for ocean fun. The dive center is wonderful, snorkling great and no line for a sail boat if you want one. We will go back and enjoy the best scuba spot we've ever been to.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ohioscuba
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed January 14, 2011

We stayed here for a week over New Year's eve and had a great time. We would definately return to this resort if we were to stay at another all inclusive in Cozumel. We had the same opinion as others who have stayed here. Food is ok, beds are hard...but we expected all of this. The staff is really great and were attentive to all of our needs. Here are a few things to make your stay better.
- Make reservations for the restaurants as soon as you check in, they fill up fast
- call ahead and ask that a foam topper be placed on your bed
- reserve a car via the internet before you arrive. Thrifty rental is located at the resort. We rented a car for 48 hrs and it was ~$30, but then you have to pay for liability insurance (~$40) through the rental agency. It is not covered by your credit card (visa anyway)
- Take a drive around the island it is very pretty and there are many bars/beaches that you can stop off along the way
- spend a few hours at punta sur. It is the southern most tip of the island with a beautiful sandy beach, lighthouse, museum, look out tower and a ruin. Cost's $10 per person but definately worth it
- You MUST eat at Casa Mission in town. One of the best restaurants I have ever been to, take a look at their reviews on trip advisor
- Massage at Barefoot in Cozumel. The owner is from the states and does ashiatzu massage. One of the best massages of my life and very reasonable. Check out her reviews on trip advisor as well.
- We used Dive with Martin instead of the dive shop at the resort. They were a little cheaper and we were very satisfied. They picked you up at the resorts dock so you didn't have to drive anywhere.
- other than that take bug spray, water shoes for the beach and a plastic cup with a lid (so you don't have to refill your beverages as much)

We really enjoyed the resort and found that those who had a negative opinion were the more "high maintenance" type. If you are laid back and looking for a good deal this is totally the place for you.

1 Thank swmogirl
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed January 10, 2011

We stayed five days and attended a family wedding on the beach. The service was excellent and the rooms were great. The meal options are buffet, buffet & more buffet and the food tastes the same each meal, but hey- it's included. Venture out a couple of times to try other meal options and it will be a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
kl1203
Reviewed January 9, 2011

If you want fancy, tons of night life, and a loud party scene, go somewhere else. If you are looking for a good deal, with great staff, comfortable accommodations, good food, and great bartenders, this place is for you.
The grounds are GORGEOUS. The little huts are adorable. The beds are hard- we could have asked for a mattress topper but we didn't. The review regarding bed bugs freaked me out but we did not have any.The buffet for lunch and dinner has lots to choose from and is slightly better than most all-inclusives I've stayed in New Years Eve they had filet mignon and lobster on the buffett. We did do the mexican (just ok, but others loved it) and the steakhouse (we thought was very good, but others said just ok!).

To Bring:
bug repellent with deet- we needed it on a couple of nights....
a sweater or cover up for the evenings
cards (I was surprised that they didn't have cards at the front desk or gift shop)- a lot of people hang out in the lobby pre/post dinner and I saw a bunch playing cards and wishing we had brought ours!
hand sanitizer- if you travel around the island and need to use the bathroom, just trust me I was wishing on several occasions I had it!
travel size febreeze- 2 reasons- 1 the rooms get a little stuffy while you are not in them b/c the fan turns off...its smells a bit, but not for long...2- everyone hangs their clothes, etc on the porch and this was really helpful in refreshing and airing out things we needed to wear twice!
underwater camera- the snorkeling is free and there are some good fish!!

To Do:
rent a jeep and go all the way around the island (its only 18 miles around or so!)- the back side is SO pretty and lots of little beach bars along the way that are fun to stop and have a drink. then you can go into the main town and explore... It may be cheaper to rent it online when you get their than through the hotel...

take the ferry over to playa del carmen-- more going on there, good shopping, good restaurants.

try albertos- its the restaurant right next door to iberostar- great quesadillas!

the spa has jacuzzis that are free to use, you just have to reserve it- they are secluded and SO pretty.

you can get free snorkel gear, take out a kayack or a hobie right on the grounds...

Overall, we loved this place- our only complaint was the hard beds. The staff is awesome- they make you feel welcome and comfortable. We met SO many people who have been coming back year after year, and we will someday be one of them.

2 Thank kl1203
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cozumel
Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Cozumel Palace
Cozumel Palace
#3 of 52 in Cozumel
Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort

Been to Iberostar Cozumel? Share your experiences!