“Good and Bad”

Iberostar Cozumel
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 15, 2006

We stayed two nights as a promo from Ibero Tucan. Hotel paid transfer costs, family snorkel trip and massages. Good deal and we enjoyed our stay.

Good points - location, unusual nice rooms (noisy a/c), beautiful grounds and snorkelling at hotel and nearby.

Bad points - food average at best, very very quiet with few other guests and pretty poor service compared to the Tucan. Nighttime.

We did enjoy two nights here but could not have stood many more nights. Pool and beach is very good no problems during the day but the night time is just soooo long with no atmosphere or entertainment and bored staff.

Very sorry if you have booked this hotel already but hope it helps if you are unbooked so far. If you have booked you will enjoy your days and just get a taxi out at night to the nearest town. Maybe hire a car as roads seem safe and pretty quiet. Must do snorkel / Scuba dives.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank NewYork96
There are newer reviews for Iberostar Cozumel

Reviewed December 13, 2006

I just got home from the Iberostar Cozumel on December 14th. Let me start with the service....There wasn't a waiter, bartender or even groundsperson that wasn't more than friendly to us. I stayed for 7 nights, and my room was cleaned spotless every single day. I enjoyed that they provide you with bottled water and that I could use my blow dryer without a problem.
On the topic of bed bugs, our sheets were changed fresh every morning, and some people were getting bites - BUT from sand fleas. I cannot say I saw a single person that mentioned anything about being bitten by bed bugs, and being a person that has travelled through Europe, when in bed, you feel them!
You should bring bug spray as you get bitten on the beach, as I said, and at night by mosquitos.
The food was typical all inclusive, a buffet with interactive stations such as omelettes for breakfast or fajita's at dinner. I found the food average, and the a la carte just fine.
For activities, I did the dolphin swim, parisailing and chose to get a massage from the beautiful spa. I would recommend sneaking into the private jacuzzi's at the spa, no one knows about them and ti's gorgeous.
All in all, I would certainly go back to the Iberostar, and if you plan on going, get Juan to make you his special drink in the main lobby.
Safe travels

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
12  Thank MrSunSunMrGoldenSun
Reviewed December 8, 2006

We just returned from Iberostar, 12/1/06-12/7/06. Overview
Great-Service, grounds.
Good-Bungalow style lodging, drinks.
Average-Food, entertainment.
Bad-sewer smell,snorkeling off the beach, evening activity.

We requested an upstairs room w/king bed and to be near the water and got it (#22-11). The grounds are beautiful and maintained extrememly well. There is however a strong sewer smell by the gym/theater, so try not to be in bungalows 41-46, 51-53. Once you get away from there, we never smelled it anywhere else, but it wasn't hot so the smell may be worse in the summer. The resort was also only about 1/4 full. Our downstairs neighbors had an awful smell that never completely went away like mold. The bungalows are nice-each has eight individual rooms, four ground floor and four upstairs. The bed was firm but not as bad as we had had elsewhere or were expecting. The double shower had wall dispensing bath gel and shampoo. There is also ample counter space. The coffee maker, mini-fridge, tv, alarm, ceiling fan and A/C worked just fine. All service personel did a great job regardless of tips. One of the pool bartenders, Nicolas, went out of his way and brought mint so he could make the drink I wanted, a mojito. No other bar had fresh mint. We were dissapointed with the lack of hot seafood dishes and variety from day to day. You knew what you'd be having for lunch because you had it at dinner the night before. And there didn't seem to be any continuity to match entrees with side dishes. There was always a great selection of fresh fruit/ juices and breads. Most dishes were tasty and we never went hungry or thirsty. We didn't try the Mexican restaurant after seeing the menu (tacos, tacos, tacos) but did eat at the Grill twice. It was very good. I recommend the tenderloin over the rib-eye due to the thickness of the cut. And the grouper/shrimp was cooked perfectly. The entertainers do their best with the dance shows but they need professionl assistance or shorter work hours. And there wasn't anything to do in the evening except for the 1-hour show, the pool closed far too early. We used Dressel Divers for a single tank dive mainly because it was offered free excect for any rental eq. Dressel was the most expensive of the three we used, but it has large step off boats. Ian, was our divemaster and made sure we got pictures of cool sealife at El Cedral. Due to it's proximity to Palancar Reef, we always had the shortest boat ride. There was nothing to see in the way of snorkeling off the beach/dock area except for a few average looking fish and barracuda. We got little bites on our legs but never saw what was biting us-sand fleas?? The resort is in a protected environment so please use biodegradable products (sun block & bug repellant). Overall we were satisfied, but may try another resort on a future trip. It received average rating as it's the second place we've been in Mexico and the first was Outstanding.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Duodivers
Reviewed December 8, 2006

Iberostar Cozumel Resort, Cozumel Mexico, Quintana Roo

This Resort property is very nicely situated on a quiet stretch of beach near Cedral in Cozumel, We have just returned last night on the 7th of December to cold temperatures and snow in Canada. Our stay at the Iberostar Cozumel was excellent, the weather was good, the food and Entertainment was good and the staff excellent, the property itself is very nice and lush with nice pools and a swim up bar.
The only complaint we have is that as the week progressed we started to get what we thought was sand fleas or black flies (noseeums) or Mosquitoes bites to the point where my wife and I have a least a 100 bites or more each, which you can imagine are quite itchy.
It was so bad that today I went to the Doctors office to see if I could get some relief and to my surprise the Doctor said the bites were caused by BED BUGS! Yes bed bugs in a 4 star resort I was so mad I came home and started writing letters to warn people to not stay there until this problem is rectified

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
24  Thank Choker
Reviewed December 7, 2006

The staff, the beautiful grounds and the snorkeling made our stay wonderful!!! We had such a great time, I actually don't know where to start with this review!! So I will start from the begining...

Don't worry when you pull up to this hotel, there is a lot of construction going on. However, once you get to the main entrance and into the loby, you wont even know it is there (it did not interfere with our stay at all). Checking in was fast and easy and our bags were quickly taken to our room, while we stayed and had a bite to eat.
Our room was bright and clean and we had a gecko living on our wall the whole time we were there. There is so much wildlife wanding the grounds: iguanas, flamingos, parrots, birds, lizards, crabs and turtles.
We were close to the pool (which was freezing) and only steps from the beach. Housekeeping kept our room clean, our mini fridge stocked and a towel animal on the bed everyday!
The food was GREAT! My fiance is not a picky eater, but I am and I am also a vegetarian . We had no problem finding something to eat, and the serving staff was wonderful!! We also tried the steakhouse and the mexican restaurants (that you need reservations for) and both were SOOO good !!! At the two specialty restaurants, there was actually nothing on the menu for me to eat (being vegetarian ) but the cook quickly made me up a meal and it was delicious!
I also tried the spa and it was wonderful!! I had a massage and it was SO relaxing, definately a must do!
The beach is beautiful and the sunsets where stunning.
We took our own snorkel gear with us and snorkeled right in the "backyard" of the hotel. We saw stingrays and SO many fish!! But take water shoes (if you aren't using flippers).
We also did lots of other activites too (check out the other reviews) like Chankanab and swimming with dolphins, horseback riding, chen rio and of course we visited San Migel. If you are looking for activites to do, go and see Carlos Lopose, he is in the loby of Iberostar every morning at 9 and every evening at 5ish. He was great and helped us out a lot. We would highly recommend renting a car and checking out the whole island.... it was WORTH IT !!! So beautiful!! There is so much going on at the hotel too, and every night there is a show at 9pm which was fun to watch!
Our trip was SO great and we cant wait to go back.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
19  Thank Kim_and_Shawn
Reviewed December 2, 2006

Our Family, consisting of my husband, our adult children a daughter and son were at the Iberostar Nov. 23- Nov. 30th. We had a GREAT TIME! The staff treated us like royalty! It's like in some other reviews that have I've read, that stepping out of the lobby is like "The Garden of Eden!" It truly is. The flamingo's, peacocks, iguana's, and all the flowers and vegetation add to the garden effect!

The food we found to be very good, with a lot of choices. I have a very sensitive stomach and didn't have any trouble the whole time we were there. Watch out for the 5 alarm salsa though! We ate at the Steak house 2 times and the Mexican restaurant once. The deserts are too pretty to eat! The breakfast buffet and lunch buffets were excellent. Each morning my husband had a omelet made to his preference along with a 1/2 of bacon!

We had the most fun with the "Star Friends." They worked so hard starting at 9:30 am till past 1:00 am they entertained us.
They had to pry us off our beach/pool lounge chairs to play beach volleyball, archery etc. They had many activities going all day!Then at night they put on a show for us and then disco dancing afterwards. Thanks Fernando, Ismel, Manuel, Roseria, Greta, Emi, and Alex for all your hard work. The Star band was good too!And the bartenders, knew what we wanted to drink before we got there. Sometimes we didn't even have to leave our loungers, they brought the drinks to us!

The only excursion we took was the "Glass bottom boat." It only cost us $30.00 US each. With that you got to snorkel on 2 of the reefs. It was well worth the money for the 2 1/2 hours they had us out. We would have liked to go into town, but opted to stay and veg out and relax.

Everyday we came back to a nice towel animal surprise in our rooms. And a well stocked fridge, and bottled water. We did find that there were indeed small bugs that did cause us to itch at night. But this didn't overshadow our time there! All in all we had the best time there, and hated to leave to come back to the cold again. Met alot of nice people from all over Canada, the States and Netherlands in our chats in the lobby. Would highly recommend this resort to everyone, even if you don't dive! Miss our new friends already.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
10  Thank Zylstra
Reviewed November 24, 2006

Stayed at Iberostar Nov 5-14, had a great time. First time in Cozumel. Weather was great, only rain at night, a little cloudy during the day with much sunshine. The resort is really beautiful, has marble floors and baths, even the rooms have marble floors and the baths have marble floors, countertops and showers. Housekeeping was very good, corners are clean. Grounds keepers smooth the beach and work on grounds every day. The help was very friendly, some speak good english and others do not. The entertainment people are always up to something. Many of the guests are from Spain, as this is a spanish company, and the main chef is also spanish,he speaks good english and is a nice guy. The bartenders were very good, enjoyed visiting with Juan, Restaurants were excellent as well. Buffet has an abundance of dishes, many unfamiliar to me, just had to try a bite of each, then go back and get the dishes I liked. We ate twice at the steakhouse, it was excellent, had ribeye once, then grilled mahi mahi the second time,. I enjoyed the
Mexican restaurant as well, had red snapper. I gained weight
while at Iberostar, you would have to be very hard to please to turn your nose up at the food there. Went diving with Dive with Martin, had a 5 two tank dive package for 255$ incl a free night
dive and video. My granddaughter enjoyed the video. And they
picked me up at the resort pier. The rental gear is included. Had
I known that I would not have lugged all my stuff along. Dressel
charges extra for gear so I brought mine. Say hello to divemaster David for me. Jim

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends