“Heavenly Honeymoon”

GreenLeadersGold level
Alberta
“Heavenly Honeymoon”
Reviewed February 3, 2010

My brand spanken new husband and I stayed a week at the Iberostar Cozumel and had the most amazing honeymoon! For a bit extra $$$ we upgraded to the Juniour Ocean View room (8922) so we had a wonderful view of the ocean and our own private sitting room. The only downside was that the Presidental suite below us had been rent out to a family of four and needless to say the hogged the pool that was ment for everyone in our building...no biggy we had a blast at the main pool and beach.
The food was awesom....I actually thought I was going to come back 10lbs heavier because we ate so much. We didn't get a chance to eat at the Mexica resturant but heard from others that it was great. Make sure you make your reservastion for the resturants as soon as you get there.
We rented a Jeep from the Thrifty guy right at the resort and toured the island as well as The San Gervais ruins....breathtaking scenery. We spent a couple hours in San Miguel do some shopping but after an hour of people constantly trying to get to buy their stuff I was starting to get annoyed. There are small shops on the west side of the island as well as the drive to San Miguel...I would strongly advise stopping at these shops if you don't like pressure.
The Staff at the Iberostar where awesom...very friendly and not pushy. All in all it a great place to go if you don't want to be around tons of people and I think we saw 5 kids the whole week.

6 Thank shammycycle19

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,041)
  • Polish first
New Hampshire
Reviewed February 3, 2010

Hola! This resort was exactly what I was looking for as a relaxing spot in a beautiful environment. The weather was perfect, everyone is friendly, it is exceptionally clean, the food was great (fresh fruits, breads, seafood, vegetables, and meats) my teenagers loved the soft serve ice cream daily and tropical coconut drinks by the pool! Try some activities with the Star Friends Crew (Edouardo, Jesus, Rita, Pedro etc.), attend the nightly shows, especially the Mayan Culture and Mexican Folklore shows, take part in the diving opportunity available, and mostly absorb the sun, flowers, and lush tropical foliage. The only negative(and it's not major) is that the room was small for a family of four (nowhere to put the luggage), but the deck off the room is excellent.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank lveadventure
Ontario
Reviewed February 2, 2010

This review dates back all the way to Jan 2008.

My then girlfriend (now wife) and I chose the Iberostar Cozumel because we wanted a quiet and secluded resort that was connected to nature yet still close enough to local culture.

I had previously been to the Dominican Republic three times as well as the west coast of Mexico, but this was my wife's first experience at an all-inclusive so it was extremely important that this experience was a good one.......... It wasn't good. IT WAS GREAT.

LOVED; snorkeling, sailing, long exploratory walks down the beach, renting a jeep touring the island, taking a trip to chitzen itza & playa del carmen, loved the wildlife on the resort.

If you are used to wide powder white beaches (like cuba for example) with shallow sandy water that you can walk for miles you won't get that here. What you have is a limestone and sea-shell sand (more granular and sharp). The resort has brought in the nice powdery sand for in and around the beach chairs and volleyball court but if you walk down the beach have your children or people with sensitive feet bring flip flops or shoes.

MUST DO THINGS:

- Snorkeling at sunset at the end of the dock ... the underwater life will blow your mind.

- Take a taxi to the "Money Bar". Bring your snorkeling gear and simply walk down the concrete steps into the water.... bring some bread or buns from the buffet and put in a plastic bag to feed the schools of fish a few meters off shore and explore the coral and rock formations.

- If you are looking to shop in the downtown area of Cozumel do it once the cruiseships have departed (after sunset) because the prices of everything drop dramatically by about 50%. If you let people know that you are staying on the island it is easier to barter.

More thoughts and opinions:

Food = very good, we put on a few pounds!!!

Room = loved it, no issues with hot water or cleanliness.... the mattress was a little too firm however.

Staff = great

Resort demographics = although we are a young couple we enjoyed the balance of people that were at the resort. Young and older couples, families, and the odd single. For us it was a good mix since we aren't into the whole couples only thing.

We had a wonderful experience and our thanks go out to the Iberostar and the people of cozumel and mexico.

ONE LAST IMPORTANT THING:
As eco conscious people, we were impressed and heartened by the conservation laws in place by the mexican government to protect the precious waters of Cozumel and the greater Mayan Riviera area. We can't wait to have a family of our own so that we can bring them back and show them the wonderful treasures of Cozumel.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank VQA
niagara falls, ontario, canada
Reviewed February 1, 2010

Before I begin, let me give a big "Mmmmmwwwaaaahhhh!" and a great big thank you to my boyfriend for surprising me with a trip to the Iberostar Cozumel for my 50th birthday! I simply can't wait to turn 60!!!! In just a few short years, we have been fortunate to have traveled to beautiful resorts in St. Lucia, Cancun, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, the Mayan Riviera and Jamaica. We can now add Cozumel to the list. Which brings me to my view of the Iberostar Cozumel:
For those of you who love to complain about such nonsense as a chip in the floor tile, or a crooked lampshade, may I suggest you stay home:
Rooms: the most romantic, rustic, unique rooms we have ever slept in. The housekeeping staff did an excellent job replenishing the towels, cleaning the bathroom and making up our bed in a special way. Towel art and chocolates on our pillows every day added a nice touch. Rooms were cleaned as soon as we returned from our breakfast.
If you are looking for poor service and lack of good food, this resort is not for you.
Food: Talk about service! Our daily waiter at breakfast remembered what we liked to drink for breakfast on our second day!! Enrique, you are amazing! Remember me? 1/2 orange juice and 1/2 pineapple juice and cafe con leche per favor! Breakfast was always full of great choices and a good selection of fruits, eggs made to order, cheeses, a yogurt bar, cereal, pastries, waffles, pancakes, etc. Georgina, the chef in the buffet, made her rounds at dinner to speak with the guests and make certain everything was to their liking. She was very pleased when we explained that we had chosen to eat at the buffet every night even though we had made reservations at the Mexican and the Steakhouse. There was always a great selection of foods, which were introduced nightly.
O.K., I'll give you this one - if you are a true beach lover then, this in really not the place for you.
Beach: We were told by the staff that Hurricane Wilma really did a number at this resort when she arrived and stayed for three days just hovering overhead. Much of the coral and rocks were washed up on the beach where they remain. You honestly should use aqua shoes when walking the beach. If you want to go into the ocean, you can access it by entering the water off the end of the pier. During our stay, the wind was stirring the usual calm waters around the pier so we couldn't really see much of the marine life, which apparently swims underneath. We did throw pieces of banana in the water and it was amazing to see the fish literally jump out of the water! I do have to warn you about the sand fleas. Everything you have read is true! These nasty little buggers start feeding on you just about the time the sun begins to set. I got bitten on the very first night as we watched the beautiful horizon go to sleep for the night. Thank goodness I heeded other's warning and brought along Deep Wood's Off and Afterbite. After that first night, I stayed off the beach and sprayed myself down before venturing out for dinner. Problem solved.
Pool: Very, very nice! Clean, big and separated by a nice pool bar. We sat at the "quiet" side during the day and each afternoon around 4:30 we ventured over to the other side to watch the games which the Star Friends were organizing. Lots of fun to watch the guests compete while making everyone laugh.
Warning: If you are antisocial, then, do everyone a favor, stay home and read a good book. You don't belong at this resort!
Staff and Guests: Where do I start? We have never met so many nice people from all over the United States before on any of our trips. (Sorry! This is not meant as an insult but our past experiences with Americans had left a different impression on us up until now). As far as the Star Friends staff - this resort is so fortunate to have such a nice group of entertainers. They should all be proud of themselves. They all work very long hours in the hot sun but you would never know it. They are always laughing, joking, calling you by your name, etc. I am so sorry if we missed any of you but we would like to say hello and thank you for a great time - Rita, Eduardo, Erik, and Marianna, Jesus!
Thank you so much for allowing us to forget the routine of home and escape for a week of laughter, good times and fun memories.
We met many avid scuba divers, which are return guests to the Iberostar Cozumel, (some even having stayed at the Occidental next door in years past). From what I heard, the Iberostar is THE place to stay when in Cozumel. I now understand why. Would we return? Sure, just say when! 
Please feel free to email me with any questions which I would be happy to answer. Be happy knowing that you won’t be disappointed if you’ve booked this resort for your next holiday. Hola!
Marie and Joe,
Niagara Falls, Ont Canada

11 Thank Screwball
Midwest USA
Reviewed January 30, 2010

My wife and I took our 5 and 2 year old in early December '09 to Iberostar. There were other extended family members that joined us too. We definitely recommend this hotel.

Positives:

Excellent Service- service was immediate and friendly.

Food- the food was excellent. You could eat any time, any amount. Guacamole and mexican food were outstanding. Our kids aren't picky eaters but if you have one there are plenty of options. Most of the food went right to my wife's hips.

Drinks- I started to drink the day I got there and didn't stop until the return flight. Mixed drinks were great, pool bar was fun and beer always had a lime in it

Cleanliness- bathrooms, facilities, rooms were all very clean and never had a problem until my son clogged up the toilet in our room. We called and someone immediately came to plunge it.

Entertainment- there was always something going on and the different activities were a lot of fun. We had an adjoining room next to my parents so my wife and I stayed out til 2am a few times (left the kids in the room). If you are looking for packed clubs, crystal meth, ruffies and a really hot night life, this is probably not the place. A cab to the city will cost almost $40 round trip. We never left the resort.

Shopping- it is all downtown. If you want cigars, do not buy them at the resort.

Pool- the kid's pool was perfect- our five year old could switch pretty easily between the shallow pool and the deep pool. The two year old had a lot of fun at the kids pool. Food and drinks were very close to the pools. If you are traveling with a family be sure to ask for a room near the pools and beach- otherwise it will be a long walk. Watch out, my brother in law got caught staring at a senorita in a skimpy bikini. My sister wasn't happy.

Scuba- we didn't dive but based on what we heard the scuba diving was incredible. We were "surf turds" and went snorkeling on an excursion and our five year old had a blast.

Kids programs- there was a kid's program and looked like it was very well run but we were too concerned about someone wanting to take our two hyperactive kids. I'm sure that after an hour any kidnappers would have returned them anyway. We did hear from other parents that the program was very good and that their kids were having a great time.

Negatives:
Mosquitos- From about 4:45 pm-5:45pm the mosquitos were horrible. But that's it- just an hour and they are gone- it was the oddest thing. Sunset was close to this time so we usually went back to the room, showered and changed before dinner. By the time we left for dinner they were all gone. We never saw them spray for bugs even though some other reviews on other websites mentioned it. Bring bug spray.

Beach- The beach is rocky. You do need beach shoes to walk out there. Our kids love to play in the sand and in the shallow beach so this was a huge disappointment. One day, we rented a car and went to the southern part of the island to a national park and they played on the beach the entire day. Because of the rocks we split time between the pool and beach. Please refrain from wearing a Speedo- my brother-in-law wore one and it was gross.

Seafood- we had an all inclusive stay so we never expected the food to be incredible but the seafood was not the best and we stayed away from it.

Internet- You can only get internet at the main building. There were a couple of times that i needed to logon to send files and emails and would have to walk from one end of the resort to the other. Also, I had to purchase a block of time (15 minutes). Most times I was only on for 5 minutes, basically wasting the other 10 minutes.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
7 Thank navinjohnsonthejerk
minnesota
Reviewed January 27, 2010

We spent 7 days at the resort. Very good all around we will be back.

1 Thank hockeyfanMinnesota
kellywolff1
Reviewed January 27, 2010

This was my first trip to Mexico, and I went with 13 other family members and friends! It was wonderful, most of the men went scuba diving every morning and there was always a place to relax, plenty to eat and drink. If you wanted more alcohol in your drinks you just had to ask for a double (for all you complainers). The star friends always came around to check on you to see if you wanted to play a game or just needed something. The rooms were big (again don;t know what people are complaining about) not sure if some folks are looking for 100 Square feet are what, but really how long are you in the room?? THe food, could always find something you liked on the buffet, and if you didn;t like what you took, set the plate aside or go try something else. THe Mexican resturant was a bit sad, the poor men had to wear long pants and there was no A/C in there it wa terrible hot, but everything else was great, we hope to go back with another group already in March or April. Can;t wait would recommend to everyone! Maybe not so many kids, cause really would would you want to take a 6 month old to a resort, strange to me, how can a person enjoy yourself. PS Don;t forget to try out a massage on the beach, best ever!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank kellywolff1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cozumel
Presidente Inter-Continental Cozumel Resort & Spa
Cozumel Palace
Cozumel Palace
#2 of 52 in Cozumel
Akumal Bay Beach & Wellness Resort

Been to Iberostar Cozumel? Share your experiences!