“Relaxation Central”

Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersGold level
“Relaxation Central”
Reviewed July 28, 2004

Prior to booking our vacation we read many reviews both good and bad about Iberostar. I have to say that many were right on target but some were quite slanted. Iberostar was a perfect place to get away and relax. My husband and I along with another couple stayed there for four days during the weekend of June 19th. We had heard about all the bad weather complaints and we happened to be lucky and the weather was gorgeous the 4 days we were there. There was some rain when we arrived at the hotel but housekeeping was furiously mopping the floors and trying to keep the walkways clear of water. They even put out "slipppery" floor signs for our safety. Each staff member at the Iberostar Cozumel was friendly and went above and beyond to help us with cabs, table service and questions about the area. Our rooms were cleaned very well daily and considering how much sand we dragged in from the beach, our room needed it. As far as the corral on the beach is concerened, that is a truth, so if you don't want to walk in it, just wear some water shoes or rent a scooter and head to the gorgeous sandy beaches on the east side of the island. GO! You don't want to leave the island and not see the other side. We chartered a boat one morning and went flats fishing. My husband caught a shark! It wasa thrill. We went with a guy named Alex who was fantastic at his job and new the mangroves really well so if you are a fisherman, we highly recommend doing that. Getting out on a boat at dawn and watching the sunrise over the ocean with no one else around was pure heaven. I can see how some people may be up tight about the hotel not being like a US version of Four Seasons, but get real, you ARE in the jungle with birds and lizards. Remember the hotel was build in THEIR habitat. If you go there to just sit in the hotel room, you are not there for the right reasons. Get on a scooter and tour the island. We suggest eating at La Mission in town. It was fabulous!

• Stayed June 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,028)
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 28, 2004

Regarding the Iberostar in Cozumel, we thought it was ok, not great. We wouldn't go back there.

It was DEFINATELY not a good resort if you scuba dive, for the following reasons:
The dive operation onsite is for inexperienced divers (although the dive shop employees were very nice.) Their boats are over-crowded, and the dive masters hover over you like you're a first time diver. On a night dive all of their dive lights died underwater, so those renting lights had to end their dive early, with no refund. In addition, they overcharged us $15 one dive, and then didn't want to give us a refund!

The resort meal times are not in line with the diving times. So when we came back from diving, the restaurants were often closed and we had to wait an hour or more before the next one opened.

The specialty restaurants require reservations which can only be made from 9-10:30 am and 4:30-5pm - we were diving those times, and they would not make any exceptions for divers.

If you dive the day you check-out (we weren't flying that day,) you'll need a late checkout and they charge by the hour after 12pm.

There is absolutely nowhere to hang any of your dive gear in the room, and they ask you not to hang it on the balcony. The rooms are very small, there's very little room for your gear in general.

The food was good and there was lots of variety. However, the food selection was the exact same for lunch and dinner, every single day. We got so sick of the food, it became the running joke.

The rooms were nice, and clean, but very small and there's nowhere comfortable to sit and relax.

The sandy part of the beach was very nice to lay out on, but you can't walk into the water - too rocky. You can climb down the ladder on the pier and go in, which is fine. Nothing to see, but if you just want to swim around its clear and calm.

The shows at night were actually good. It's just the staff, but they're talented, and it was entertaining.

The property is beautiful, and well maintained. Although its very big, and is a long walk from the lobby/restaurant to the beach. The staff is nice, although they never go out of their way to help you for anything if you need it.

They give you beach towels when you arrive and if someone steals it, or if they maid takes it when she cleans the room (which happened to us) they charge you $10!

It seemed like a great place for kids, though.

Nashville. TN
Reviewed July 27, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Iberostar from July 15th through the 18th. This was our first trip to Cozumel. The weather was great and the people and staff were very friendly. The food was ok to good. My favorite meal they served was breakfast. They make this wonderful cheese danish bread that is out of this world. My husband, who is an extremely picky eater, always found something. The drinks are great as well... especially the strawberry margaritas (YUM!!). The rooms were a bit small but perfect for a couple. The beds were quite firm but great if you have lower back problems. My husband said the bed was wonderful for his back. The hotel and the landscaping is so beautiful. You really feel like you are in paradise when you stay here. My advise is rent a car and see the island. We drove on the west side and stopped at several bars and a wonderful place to eat called Coconuts. Oh by the way, we booked our vacation through Apple and they were extremely helpful the whole time. They even recommended a snorkeling trip that includes snuba... it was the best thing my husband and I did there. I can't begin to tell you how much fun that was. Boy can those Mexicans party!!!! Anyway, when we left to go over to the Mayan Riviera to stay for a few nights, I accidently left my underwater camera and film in a bedside table. I told my Apple Rep at Xpu Ha and Iberostar (thanks Sid and Roberta) and they were able to retrieve them for me. I recommend Iberostar for anyone wanting to get away for a paradise experience.

• Stayed July 2004
4 Thank mleister
Reviewed July 25, 2004

Hola! We stayed at the Iberostar from July 18-25. It was me, my sister and my parents. The food was great! And water was fine too, didn't get sick once. Last year we went to the Riviera Maya and I got sick half way thru the trip. The rooms were awesome too, it felt like you were camping out but with no tent! The service was extremely helpful, and had a smile on their face even after 12 hours of work. Have to give a hello to Luis, I miss you! And Veronica. The shows were so great and funny, especially the Men vs. Women one. I must say the Mexican restaurant was a treat, can't say that for the steak restaurant though. If you love to snorkel,(which is the whole reason we came to Cozumel)I wouldn't recommend the beach right in front of the resort. The only cool thing we saw there was a 4 foot barracuda, and some cool fish. If you really want to snorkel, go to Sunset Beach. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. This is my sixth time in the Caribbean and I snorkeled each time and this was by far the best I've seen. I suggest you rent a car for the week, much less cheaper then a taxi. We paid 300 for one week. Highly recommended. We also took a fairy over to Playa del Carmen and rented a car there and drove to Xel-Ha. That is also a must. Beautiful and unbeleiveable park.

I don't know what the fellow reviewers were talking about! We LOVED the beds! They are so comfortable! But, I guess you have to judge for yourself. We met loads of people and wish we were still there with them! Hello to the family from Chile we met! Iberostar is such a remarkable place, I felt like I was in another world. I'm already missing it badly. Please do not take the time you have to spend there for granted. I hope this helps. Have a fabulous vacation!!! :)

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 24, 2004

I have been on many all inclusive trips. I have been to other Iberostar resorts too. This one was... very "outdoorsy". I had read this, but I did not realize what this meant. It means Gekkos in your rooms! And they SCREAM at night! Really LOUDLY too! It drove my wife and me crazy!

Some may enjoy this. We didn't particularly enjoy it. I normally stay at another resort when I go diving with "the guys" but since my wife was joing me I thought that it would be nice to upgrade to a resort that pampers you more. Now I wish that I had not done so. I took her to where we normally stay and she like that one better!

It was not horrible. In fact, the only complaints are that the rooms are thatch roofed and let the critters in and that you are a LONG way from town. A cab ride is $17 each way. That can get expensive.

Other than that they treat you VERY well. The entertainers are GREAT! Alex, especially, made you feel welcomed. The food was what we normally expect. The diving is WONDERFUL! I did not use the operator at the resort and I had NO problems getting picked up at Iberostar's docks.

Just be prepared to feel like you are camping, but with a full bar. The birds will awaken you at at sunrise. The gekkos will startle you arouns 2:30 AM. Iguanas walk around your stairs all day. Nothing horrible... just be prepared!

Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed July 24, 2004

Can it get better? We just returned from a wonderful week of relaxation and adventure. We stayed at the Iberostar three years ago and it has gotten better with time. (this is our 5th trip to Mexico and the best yet!) What an enchanting place the tropical gardens with flamingos,parrots, an occasional iguana. Walking the endless beach, snorkeling, and sitting under the palms, reading,listening to the waves at the beach. ( I've already been back to work for a week.-too long!) The staff is great , helpfull, friendly and very accommodating. Let yourself go and participate in the activities at the hotel the Star Friends are fun and very personable, and they do a great show, it is even more fun if you get involved(come on you are a long way from home and it is a chance to become a resort celebrity) The food was GREAT!!try the filet at the steak resturant, omlet at breakfast, there is just too much to mention! Mosquitos not bad, we sprayed after sunset,but it IS the tropics that is where they live. Good snorkeling near the pier and about 100 yards to the right of the pier just past the Albertos resturant about 20 yards out. I could keep going, but I am afraid I would start sounding like I work for the hotel. I have stayed at many 5 star hotels, remember this is a 5 star resort if you want a eligant 5 star hotel stay in the states, if you want to have a fun, relaxing, get away VACATION, grab you bathing suit, shorts, t-shirts, and flip-flops and head to Cozumel. I will return as as soon as I can.

2 Thank RWTexan
Reviewed July 24, 2004

Where do I begin? Our first impression of this resort was this is a dump. We tried to keep an open mind considering we were in Mexico. The buffet food after a couple of days is enough to make you wish you could find any food that tasted like something. We had a missing piece in our thatch roof that nobody fixed even after our late night visit from a diving 6 inch creature that they called a bisbo, a bee i suppose that caused havoc in our room for a couple of hours. One day we returned from a day trip to find a note that we would have no water from 5pm to 7pm which we did not get back until 11pm. The toilets in the dining facilities were surely a sight no one would wish to see. This resort was a $17 each way trip into town. If you want to do nothing all day or night this is okay. If you want to experience some of the beauty of the island rent a car and drive to the other side of the island. El Mirador is absolutely beautiful. Cozumel is a beautiful location just find a different resort and stay closer to town if you like shopping, eating food that tastes like something and not eating in a buffet setting that is hot and full of flies.