“The friendliest staff”

Iberostar Cozumel
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 7, 2014

My family just returned from eight wonderful days at the resort. First, our arrival transportation was very quick,from touching down until we arrived at resort was one hour. Upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted with smiling faces,everyone was so nice,our check-in was flawless.We arrived at hotel at 1:30 pm and our room was ready and clean.If you are laid back and want to relax,this is the place for you,we have vacationed in Mexico over twenty times,and this was the most quiet resort we have visited. If you are high energy and looking to party,you probably would not like this resort. Now for the pros and cons. Pros first,the staff is amazing always with smiles,they really want you to be happy and to have a great stay,the entertainment crew was great,especially Javier,they go out of their way! The grounds are spotless,workers constantly working on the landscape.The resort is the perfect size,you can walk to and from any point on the grounds in less than three minutes,the beach is very pretty,but once you enter the water it is very rocky,always plenty of chairs and lots of shade structures if you need a sun break. The pool is fairly large and also never had a problem finding chairs,the swim-up bar in the pool opens at 11:00 everyday and we never had to wait long for drinks,the bartenders were very friendly and by day two they remember your name and your drink.The daytime and night time entertainment is what you make of it,just always remember that the staff tries very hard,so you should always respect their efforts.The maid staff is outstanding,cleaned room and changed out towels everyday,we came back to room every afternoon to find towels in shapes of animals and flower pedals on bed, great touch !! And now the Cons, the buildings inside and out are in terrible need of an update,the rooms are VERY SMALL!!!,there are no dressers in rooms,only small cubby style storage in closet. When checking in you will need to ask for more hangers,along with an ironing board and iron. There is a room safe,but there are no directions for using it so here you go,on the inside of safe door there is a white button, push and hold for three seconds, next enter a four digit code and the press enter, enter your four digit code again and press enter,close the safe,enter code and press button at bottom right corner of keypad and you can then lock and unlock safe. You might be thinking why am I telling you this,and it is because there are no directions on safe,and this will save you the phone call to front desk.And now for the restaurants,the Mexican restaurant was very good,the steak house was fair,but it is not air conditioned,very muggy at night. The main buffet also has no air conditioning,very comfortable in the mornings for breakfast, we ate dinner there after 8:30 so it was not too warm.The buffet dinners were average at best,as is the case with most all-inclusives.I hope this review is helpful,again I will say you will not find a better staff.

Room Tip: Ask for room 7202,great location,and it is a single story unit,nobody upstairs!!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Dlowor
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Cozumel for your recent vacation and for your kind feedback regarding our resort.

We will congratulate the entertainment team, especially Javier, for making your stay extra special as well as the Housekeeping Department for making you feel comfortable in your home away from home. Please be informed that we have a maintenance schedule for the buildings which we follow the best way possible even though sometimes the climate or high occupancy does not allow us to do in advance as fast as we would like.

The instructions for the use of the safe should be provided to you during check in, we do apologize if this was not the case and we appreciate your explanation of use for future guests.

We hope you will consider IBEROSTAR again for your future holidays.

IBEROSTAR México

Write a ReviewReviews (5,071)

Reviewed June 6, 2014

I have traveled many places and have had less than great accomodations at times. There were 7 people on our trip. 4 divers and 3 non divers. One of the divers researched before we went and found a place that 30 cheaper per dive. They booked through them...Papa Hogs. It ended up that one of our party needed final certification so they did a few dives with Dressell. After diving with Dressell and diving with Papa Hogs...the consensus was that they enjoyed the time with Papa Hogs much more. (As a side note, I did find out that if you book online with Dressell, you get a 20% discount..which would still be a little more.) I just didn't want anyone to think the I was putting Dressell down. They just liked the other better. They did get to store their stuff at the dive shop. For the three of us that did not dive....there was plenty to do. We spent time at the pool and at the beach as well. We met a lot of great people and had a great time. One day we did rent mopeds. The tour guides were very worried about us renting them but did arrange for someone to meet us at the front gate with mopeds. We were not renting mopeds to go downtown (no way would I do that..I don't even know if I myself would drive downtown...will get to that later.) We drove the mopeds to the other side of the island where there is no electricity. Basically several oceanside bars with shopping as well. I have been to Cozumel 10 times..but only on a cruise and never to that part of the island. It was VERY WELL worth it. The water was beautiful. It was not near as rocky and it was a great way to spend the day. Most of the drive had the side lanes for mopeds. The drive was amazing as well. We ate at Coconuts and the mixed ceviche was great. We enjoyed it so much that our last full day there we rented a jeep and did it again with one of our divers. (We were going to go to Playa and zip line and cave tube...but we really wanted to spend the day on the other side of island)
Food. I have nothing bad to say about the food. There were days that I liked it more than others...but there was always something good to choose from. I lived on guacamole and the salsa roja..or at least had some with every meal. I didn't even use chips..just a spoon. It was delicious. We ate at the steak house one night and it was good...not the best but definitely good. I was incrediby impressed with the kitchen and wait staff. They kept it very clean and I always saw the food temperatures being checked with thermometers. I feel horrible that I did not get all of their names as they deserve special recognition. The dining room manager went above and beyond and located coconut ice cream for us even if it was not available in our specific dining room. There was some food that was really amazing. I guess it depends on your taste. We never went to another sit down because with such a large group we were not always together to make plans and therefore did not want to have to adhere to a reserved time. I heard from multiple people that the sea bass in the Mexican restaurant was supberb. I know it is a pain to go to reserve a dining time between the hours they specify..but I can say that there was NEVER a line. In fact, I went to make reservations one night and they only had 9pm. I went ahead and made the reservation. Later in the day I was walking through the lobby and the hostess (again I wish I had her name) stopped me and let me know that they had a cancellation and she could get us in earlier. We were about to leave on mopeds and were not sure we would be back so I declined. The bar service was incredible as well. After day one the bartenders knew what we were drinking and made our drinks when we walked up. On the first night one of us had too much to drink...we were sitting on the beach the next morning and I ordered a drink. She stated that she had too much last night and didn't want anything. A few minutes later the waiter brought me another drink without me asking and brought her a drink and informed her that it had no alcohol and would help her feel better. I will call out Fredi as he was an amazing bartender and I do remember his name. The star dancers were super. I did not feel bothered at all when they asked me to participate in an activity. We chose to do water aerobics one day because we had nothing better to do and it was a lot of fun. We also played pool bingo one day. I would have played bache ball and taken the salsa class as well but we were not there. A few people in our group did salsa and archery. The shows at night were great. It also helps that we were there to have fun and leave our worries at home. The beach show was my absolute favorite. I wish I could have stayed another week just to see it again.
I have to say...I was ONLY in the room to sleep or to shower. That being said...I had zero complaints. That was my biggest fear as I am very picky about where I sleep and keep my things. Note that we had 3 rooms for our group so I am not only speaking of our room. The rooms were cleaned spotless every day. They even changed the sheets and pillow cases every day which I would not expect as I was the same one sleeping on it each night. I even brought dryer sheets to put on the vents to get rid of the musty smell and did not have to use them. The rooms were fairly small...but as I said I was not in my room much. The mattresses were perfectly fine as well. I tipped housekeeping more than I normally do because they were so good.
Words can not describe how beautiful the grounds were. It was so peaceful to walk around and enjoy the beauty. They were well beyond kept up. They were trimming bushes each and every day. The wildlife was amazing as well. I had to ask a peacock to excuse me once or twice while going down a path...lol. Loved it! The cats were not near as bad as some reviews said. There were maybe 5 of the same cats on our 7 night stay. If you did not feed them at dinner, they would walk away. I NEVER saw them on or near any food other than the guests. One day when I was sitting in the lobby waiting on someone, a parrot came and sat right on my arm rest of the chair I was in. It was quite an experience.
There were also hobe cats, kayaks and snorkling equipment that you could get from the dive shop at no extra charge. We did the kayaks one day and planned to do it more but there just wasn't enough time in the week.
We did go to Alfredo's twice (the restaurant next door) We got the seafood platter that had conch, grouper, lobster and shrimp. It also came with sides. I ordered it to split with a friend of mine and 2 other males ate off of it as well and we couldn't even finish it. We ordered 3 buckets of beers for our table and one for another table and our bill was under 120.00. (That includes two other meals like quesadillas ) Needless to say we went back with our entire group again.
In my opinion, the resort was never loud. Sometimes it was too quiet for me ;) When we started the trip I knew one person well..had met two once or twice and the rest I did not know. I can now say that after a week of spending time with these people, I am proud to call them my friends. We also met a lot of very nice people at the resort...some that we will keep in touch with.
To Iberostar employees and management...I apologize for not being able to mention each and every one of you by name. You all deserve an amazing amount of recognition. You went above and beyond what I expected and will definitely be back and reccommend you to friends and family. I know there is a lot that I am failing to mention..but I'm sure this novel is enough. I am just trying to dispell any of the negative reviews as they had me somewhat worried. I am glad it did not turn me away from deciding to stay there. My entire group felt the same way!!!

The ONLY ONLY thing I would mention is that there are a ton of mosquitos so bring a lot of off. Our group went through 5 bottles. Leave your perfume/cologne at home...lol. It is 11.00 for a large bottle in the gift shop.

*On a side note...we booked through Apple vacations and they did take care of us and were at their tour desks twice a day for booking excursions and to assist you with transfers back to airport. I was pleased with their service.

Room Tip: We were in building 32 and at first I was sad that we were not by pool or ocean..but it turned out t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jajuan S
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review!

We are honored to read that you enjoyed the services and shows we provide and also got a chance to explore the local beauty of the island of Cozumel on your own.

We are sure your review will inspire other travelers to find out more about us and the various activities offered around the island. We are thrilled that you were pleased with your room and cleaning of the same, we will forward your kind words to our housekeeping department to congratulate them on a job well done.

We are looking forward to welcoming you to your home away from home very soon.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We have been to other resorts on the island but were impressed with the staff at the Iberostar. They went out of their way to make our stay great! Efrain, Cristian and Gaspar were at the lobby bar, the swim up bar and the beach bar on various days and were fantastic! All staff was super friendly and helpful. The grounds were immaculate, but the food varied. The steakhouse restaurant was excellent! Go for the ribeye. The Mexican restaurant El Serape had the best shrimp dish and the special tacos were ... very special. Breakfast was good at the lobby restaurant and continental breakfast was good at the restaurant near the pool. We heard that Alberto's restaurant down the beach was great but we didn't venture down that way. The pool was kept very clean and the beach itself was pristine however, the entry to the water was beyond rocky. It would be nice if they would move some of the big rocks out into the water to make a clear path. Now, the entertainment was good but not consistently good. There were awesome shows like the beach fire show, the Broadway hits show, horror show and karaoke that were unsurpassed but others weren't what we expected.

Room Tip: We were in room 8912 and had a peek of the pool and ocean.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank 302DB

Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing IBEROSTAR Cozumel via this medium.

We are pleased to hear that our outstanding staff was able to make your stay extra special, we will forward your comments to our Maitre who is in charge of Efren, Cristian and Gaspar and will be very happy to receive your kind words. We will also let the Head Chef know that you enjoyed the variety and quality of food during your stay with us.

Regarding your comment about the rocks in the water, our hotel is located within the Cozumel Marine Park which is a protected area so you can enjoy the coral reefs and animals living in them. This limits us to do any kind of modification to the natural formations, but this rule will ensure sustainability of the ecosystem. We are sorry this caused an inconvenience to you.

Thank you as well for pointing out our nightly shows; it is gratifying that you enjoyed the majority of them.

We are looking forward to your next visit at our beautiful resort with the best staff.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed at the Iberostar just before the Memorial Day weekend and here's what we know,
The hotel is clearly an older hotel but as everyone has noted, it is extremely well maintained. The grounds are meticulously kept up and the parrots, cats, peacocks and flamingos lend to the atmosphere. We were not ever awakened by the wildlife.
Someone in another review complained about the fumigating at the last minute. We received a letter in our room the night before it happened, We were not asked to leave for a lengthy time, just an hour or so and we were given a specific time it was going to be fumigated. It apparently happens once a month. It wasn't a big deal to us - I was at the pool and hubby on the dive boat.
If you are going to be walking around the entrance to the resort at dusk, you will definitely need bug spray - the mosquitoes were brutal. Other than that, a few sand fleas here and there but no major issues. (Hey, we're from the South, bugs are a way of life)
The food issue - everyone who says the food was repetitive is right and totally wrong. There were a couple of hundred dishes at every buffet if you include pastas, sandwich meats, salads, veggies, and meats and ceviches and desserts. My husband the picky eater found plenty to eat at every meal. The food quality was very good. If you have a child, note that almost every single meal had burgers, fries, hot dogs and pizzas and other child friendly foods. So although some things were repeated, you did not have to eat the same things over and over again except by choice. Note: the roast beef literally melted in your mouth so try it!
We ate at both the steak house and the Mexican specialty restaurants and found them to be excellent but the Mexican restaurant service was a little slow. (Note this may be compensating for another guest who told me she had complained that the service was too rushed.)
As to the room, we did have a couple of issues.
First of all, there was only one electrical plug for a razor in the bathroom and one wall outlet with 2 plugs in the room (for the coffee pot and the clock). The lights by the bed and the TV are apparently hard wired into the walls. We had a charger that using 1 plug and accommodates 3 USB plugs to recharge so we were good but still had to charge our camera batteries. You may want to take an extension cord or cube tap if you need more than the two plugs.
If it matters to you, there was no iron in the room. They mention this in the guest notebook - apparently they think it's a fire hazard.
We did have issues with the hot water in our room - you'd be in the middle of a shower and it would suddenly go hot or cold. Like in a old house when someone flushes the toilet and suddenly the water in your shower is hot.
The music at the pool once the aerobics people come out is annoying LOUD. Like if you listen to heavy metal on a IPOD cranked way up, you can still hear it, loud The activities people can be a pain - you should not have to say no but once.
Freddie at the beach bar makes killer mojitos and margaritas.
Hubby dived with in house dive operation, Dressel and did not have any complaints. They helped him with several equipment malfunctions and got him back in the water.
This was our first trip to the Iberostar but our fourth dive trip to Cozumel. I think we'll be staying there next time, too.

Room Tip: Divers - ask for building 25 - closed to dive shop but not the ocean front room price. Also close t...

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to post this review for other travelers to read.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed the food and beverages offered as well as our spectacular facilities and their wildlife. We are sorry to hear that you had a few issues in your room; we wholeheartedly apologize for this and will work hard to avoid reoccurrence.

We will forward your comments to our entertainment team for them to consider the suggestions you made regarding the music by the pool and the involvement of our guests in activities.

We hope we will be able to welcome you back in the future to IBEROSTAR Cozumel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Better than Barcelo Maya: Has character, better food, and a "cozy" feeling of a modest-sized resort. Snorkeling is poor at the beach, but diving is great. hut-style rooms are a little dated, but kept very clean and updated inside. Grounds are very nice with lots of wildlife. If you want a sanitized experience, this place is not for you. Staff are very friendly and engaging.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear guest,

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our property.

We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed the layout and rooms, as well as the diving and our fantastic staff. We will make sure they receive your kind comments.

We are confident to seeing you again at IBEROSTAR Cozumel!

Reviewed June 3, 2014

We have stayed at this resort in years past, and come for the diving. This year, 3 other couples joined us for what turned out to be a fantastic, sunny week of fun. I am always amazed at some of the reviews of all inclusive resorts, particularly in Mexico. Yes, it's a buffet, they are feeding hundreds of people, so maybe you won't like everything out there. But chances are you can find something to eat. Yes, it's an island, so they try to keep paper out of the toilet for the water waste treatment plant, it's a common practice in "real life" Mexico, get over it. Yes, your clothes will all smell and need to be washed when you return home, you just visited a foreign country, with a beach. It happens when you travel to Florida too, just saying. Really, if you don't like adventure and mixing things up a bit, please STAY HOME!

Ok, enough of my "ugly american tourist" ranting...the resort was beautiful as always. We dove with the house dive shop, Dressel Divers. Can't beat the location for sure. None of our friends dive, so they did some touring and had a great time by the pool every day. Lot's of activities to engage in, the Star Friends do a great job getting people motivated! We had excellent service at night in the buffet from "Felipe", management, this kid is a terrific waiter and someone for you to keep an eye on :) Maid service daily, refrigerator always stocked with waters and sodas as we requested. Very well equipped gym, bring your own water bottle. We ate at the Steak House and Rock Cafe, both good meals, but we all found plenty to eat every night at the buffet as well. Cannot beat that dessert presentation and choices! Don't miss the other side of the island, we had a nice afternoon exploring the beaches on the east side, and Coconut's! Bed was noticeably more comfortable this time, ours was newer. Bring bug spray and lots of suntan lotion, or you will pay the island price for them at the gift shop.

Most importantly, relax and enjoy your stay with these wonderful people who work so hard to make your vacation "a dream come true". It's not a movie, so it won't be perfect but it's your life...enjoy it! Thank you Iberostar for another great week!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank Divecozumel

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing IBEROSTAR Cozumel again for your vacation and for bringing more people to our beautiful property with you.

We are excited to find out that you had another great stay with us and that you enjoyed your home away from home. We will congratulate Felipe for contributing to making your vacation special as well as the pastry chef for preparing the delicious desserts you mentioned along with the rest of the hardworking staff.

We are confident we will see you again soon, and we are looking forward to it!

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Hotel staff was wonderful. They were eager to accommodate and very generous with the drinks. Wildlife was abundant and beautiful. Wife wanted more sand on the beach, but the ocean view was great. Food was what you'd expect from an all inclusive, maybe a little better than most. One GREAT EXPERIENCE was with the Dressell Dive group located on site. We booked a Whale Shark snorkel and the two guides we were given did an outstanding job. Scotty was as excited as we were and he made us feel very comfortable getting where we needed to go and Julian was obviously a very knowledgeable and experienced guide. With poor weather, they still made the trip one we'll remember. We're already talking about a trip back to Iberostar.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the pool.
2  Thank Tim M

Dear guest,

Thank you for providing us with your opinion about your recent stay with us.

We are honored to hear that you had an outstanding vacation, especially due to the staff. We will forward your comments to Dressel Divers for them to share your kind words with Scotty and the rest of the crew.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.