“Fun family Vacation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Wisconsin
“Fun family Vacation”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We stayed at the Iberostar with our two children 13 and 11 over Thanksgiving week. We are enjoyed are stay. Check in was quick and effecient. Our room was not ready immediately but we went and had something to eat and it was ready when we finished. The rooms are small, especially for four people- we had a roll away bed., Next time I would book two seperate rooms. The room did smell a bit musty- not sure how they prevent that in a tropical setting. The room was very clean. The bathroom was nice and fairly large. We always had hot water for showers. We had a few minor problems that arose, no batteries for remote, fridge not working, but the staff attended to the issues promptly. The grounds at the hotel were lush and tropical. We enjoyed the cats, iguanas, peacocks and turtles. The pool were great as was the beach. The hotel was full while we were there, so if you wanted chairs by the pool you needed to set towels out by 7:30 or so. There were plenty of beach chairs available. We usually entered the water from the pier, easy to get in and out. The snorkeling off the pier was okay. It was quite windy while we were there so the water was a bit stirred up. We did see a giant Moray eel right by the pier. My husband and I went sailing when the weather permitted and enjoyed that. The star friends were wonderful, energetic and fun and our kids enjoyed all sorts of fun pool and beach activities and met many other kids. We thought the food was good with a wide variety at the buffets The guacamole with various add ins was great many fresh fruits andjuices, fantastic breads and pastries, tasty seafood and chicken, desserts and ice cream wonderful. If you can't find things you enjoy at every meal, I would suspect one to be a very picky eater. We really enjoyed and had a very good meal at the Mexican specialty restaurant. The steakhouse was okay. the steaks were very good, ribs and seafood not as good. We easily made reservations at two of the specialty restaurants. We had credits for Wifi, gift shop and the spa and the hotel easily honored them all. The shows in the evening are fun. All the bars were good, pool, beach, lobby: we sampled various alchoholic and non alcoholic tropical drinks. The wine is fair at best.
This is not a five star property but overall we enjoyed our holiday week and would definitely return again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Cindy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,030)
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed December 11, 2013

The grounds are nice, the rooms are clean, the staff is A+. The food was just average but you could always find something suitable. Liquor and drinks are not top shelf but they are included in the price of your stay. Great dive shop right on site so very convenient for diving.

3 Thank Fishee2012
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear Client

Thank you for your review, especially about our personnel as this is one of the most important parts of the hotel.

We are thrilled to know you really enjoyed the settings and surroundings , you can be sure we will share all your comments to the employees and will congratulate them for the great service they offer you.

We wil work on the points you mention.

We are confident that will see you in the near future in your home away from home Iberostar Cozumel!

Greetings
Quality Manager
Iberostar Mexico
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed December 11, 2013

My husband and I have done several all-inclusives so knew what to expect. We just spent a week at this resort and had a blast. The buffet food was good, they are very creative with leftovers. They offer a little bit of everything. The reservation restaurants offered a good alternative, the steakhouse served impressive cuts of meat!

The beach was great. Yes, water shoes would help if you walked out into the water, but they have a pier w/ a nice ladder to use so avoid the rocks. The snorkeling was good right off the beach. They offered sea kayaks for a small fee ($2/person/day), which was fun. Yes, there are sand fleas. They tend to bite only certain people (me being one of them), but seemed to be only the first day or so. Bring DEET if you're sensitive to bug bites. Or Benadryl.

Yes, the mattresses are very firm, most hotels are. You can get a massage if your back gets too jacked up (for a fee, of course). The towel art was creative!

The staff was the best part of the trip. The bartenders and beach wait staff were wonderful. The Star Friends (I think that's what they were called) were INCREDIBLE. Not only did they work insane hours, they were genuinely friendly and learned all of our names (in my group) and knew us by face by the 2nd day. Most of them had finished college or were enrolled in classes. A lot of them were there to learn English, enjoyed communicating w/ them. They were so enthusiastic, and were great in getting the guests involved in their poolside/beach games. After working all day, they did nightly entertainment. One of the workers did all the choreography and costume design for all the shows, which was amazing. During their down time in the afternoon they practiced for the nightly shows. The nightly entertainment was excellent, to say the least, do not miss it (and stay till the end or you may miss something!).

Hope this helps. I would go back, but it's hard to go back to any place twice when ther are so many out there.

Room Tip: 2nd floor may have more light.
3 Thank MaryCO86
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Where to start, our trip was booked via Hotwire. Upon arrival, and check in we were informed that some rooms had no A/C, and an upgrade was advised. So, we upgraded the room. We were told it would be 500.00, credit card bill says 1000.00 plus. So we are now at a 3300.00 all inclusive week for 2. At this upgraded fee, I guess hot water and toilet paper were a bit much to ask. Hot water took a minimum of 30 mins to get to our room, if we got so lucky. The stocked mini bar, was not stocked until I had a break down in the lobby, after having to walk all the way to the lobby 2xs in one night to have the key reprogrammed. Everyday we found cockroaches in the room. This resort had some of the worst food and booze I have ever witnessed at a hotel, food recycled from breakfast, to lunch and dinner, and the warming lights don't keep things warm. Yes we dined at the reservation restaurants, as well. The steak house first, gross. Please tell me how it is that a menu item at a Caribbean resort serves SALMON?? Umm no thanks
Then the Mexican restaurant, served a shrimp dish covered in sauce that had shells over cooked on them with a disgusting scalded sauce( could have been tasty if not burnt.
The booze, what a joke. In the lobby only there is mediocre booze. El jimador, Bacardi, absolute but be warned the farther you get from the lobby the worse the booze gets ,Ron Rico is what you get at the beach
Sand fleas will eat you alive.
Other guest:some of the nicest people we have met on vacations.
Staff ok
Upon our departure at checkout, no one asked if we if we enjoyed our stay. They don't offer a customer survey of any kind.
Won't ever go back

On the positive: lots of animals living on the property, flamingos, cats, iguanas
And the reef has good snorkeling, lots of sea life boyfriend saw lots of cool critters, octopus right off the beach. The reef is protected lots to see,,,, or sea

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Michelle S
Calgary
Reviewed December 10, 2013

This resort may not be your best choice if you are not there for diving. The buildings and the pond behind the main lobby need to be painted as they are covered in mold. The rooms need a fresh coat of paint as well. The worst part was the bathroom. The ceiling leaked despite sevral attempts at fixing. The shower walls were partly covered in rust streaks from the ceiling all the way to the bottom. The mirror frame has rot away from the mirror leaving a large gap and there was serious mold all around it. The ceiling panels were falling apart.

During our two weeks stay at the resort we were guarateed only four restaurant seatings, which was stingy. We tried to make additional reservation once and once we tried to get in without the reservation, but were turned down. This was very strange as restaurants were never full. We found the Mexican restaurant food quite bland and tasteless. Steaks were good at the Stajehouse and the seafood in the Cafe were vey good. The bufet food was not kept hot and during the majority of our stay there was no butter. Otherwise the food was quite good. The staff was very friendly.

We requested a second floor room and a mattress topper several weeks in advance, but none was offered. The topper was provided only after several repeated requests.

The dive shop was very busy and it took a long time to load and reload the boats, but we found master divers very good and the diving experience was excellent for the prices offered.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor should be less noisy.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Calgary_Traveller002
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I just returned from Iberostar Cozumel and am on the fence if I would recommend them to a friend, I guess it depends on the friend. Our trip was 12/1 to 12/7.. I read reviews on Tripadvisor for months so knew what to expect and yes the food was not the greatest. Main problem being is that the food is not really hot enough so its never really that good. It was satisfactory and honestly eating the same food anywhere for 7 days can get really boring so you have to consider that. They had a good variety and their salsa is amazing. The buffets theme changes every night but you can still get the staples each night. The steakhouse was great, Mexican rest was our favorite. The American was our least favorite, we heard people raving about the American place so maybe it was just an off night for them. There is never a time when you cant get something to eat and we ate plenty!

I had read other reviews about how hard the beds were and they were not kidding. I had emailed the hotel about a month before we left to request a mattress topper, I was told that they could not guarantee it but they would put my request in. We arrived and one was not given to us, I called immediately and they told me they would call me back in 10 mins, after 30 mins I called again and they said I would have one the next day but that never happened either. I called and asked about 7 times, each time I was told I woudl get a call back and that never happened and when I called to follow up they always said "tomorrow , tomorrow".. Finally on day 3 I got a little upset and demanded the manager and ended up with an egg crate. Heres my issues, I had to ask for it at least 7 times and felt like they were lying to me each time I called them. Also the egg crate was DISGUSTING looking, I really wished I had not been in the room when they arrived to put it on my bed, I couldn't get the look of it out of my head, we doubled up on sheets and tried to get that vision out of our heads, the egg crate made a difference for sure because the beds are just way too hard on their own.

I had read the reviews about the beach and was so glad we went ahead and purchased water shoes before we came. Really, if you want to swim or even just walk into the ocean you need water shoes, no way around it so if you are going there get some, you wont be sorry.

The Star Friends make the resort, hands down, the best thing about this place. As far as I am concerned they all need raises, its amazing that they work all day and then still have the energy to put on amazing shows at night. Every day the talk everywhere on the resort was how amazing the shows were. I never made it to one because they were at 930 but I heard they were of amazing quality.

I spent most of my days at the pool which was really nice. The ocean temp was warmer than the pool so the pool being warmer would have been nice. The snorkeling was amazing and the drinks were always good.

All and all I really felt that I got what I paid for. I would recommend Iberostar to anyone that is not picky, I dont consider myself picky but I do have standards so I might pay a little extra to go some where else next time.

We brought cash for tips and felt like we got the same service as anyone else, tips or no tips.

Room Tip: Ask for mattress topper for sure.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Maggie P
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 8, 2013

My beach vacation was a success. The hotel was very nice. I love the bungalow style and all the palapas (thatched roofs). The hotel staff is very friendly and hardworking. They will cater to all your needs.

The hotel rooms need to get screens urgently. Right now you cannot leave any window or glass doors open at night since the bugs will come in and eat you alive. Getting mosquito screens will also help to ventilate the rooms also. Try to get a room on the second floor as these will smell better. The rooms on the bottom floor smell moldy and humid and it takes a while to get used to it.

The star friends are incredible. They are the most hardworking batch of people ever. I really do worry they are overworked though. They are a talented bunch. My congratulations to them. Great entertainers. The shows are fun! They really work the crowd. I hope they get paid well.

Bring lots of cash for tips. The hotel ATM charges US$25 to withdraw cash. Painful. My atm card got eaten by a machine in town and so I ended up having to borrow from friends for cab back to the airport. I asked the reception to charge this to the room and this is impossible.

The food is varied and good. The mexican restaurant (surprisingly) needs improvement.The food was not very good the night I went there. However, 2 nights after there was mexican night in the buffet and that was amazing. The guacamole also varies. On the mexican buffet night it was delicious. Other days it was alright.

Thank you to Rubi and Francisca, Antonio, Aaron, Francisco, Luis, Miguel, Omara & kayak boys

I would urge the Iberostar chain not to fire most of their staff once the low season is in. Or make them take vacaciones forzosas. Keep your staff, value them...

Room Tip: Rooms on second floor better than on the bottom, bring lots of cash for tips and cab back to the air...
4 Thank MariaDR