“Fun & Exotic”

Ranked #10 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersGold level
kingston, ontario
Reviewed April 22, 2004

I found NJ comments very interesting. We just arrived home from a great holiday at the Iberostar, you must remeber it is not a 5* but a 4*. We thought the rooms were great, they were musty but we just lit our candles and left the air on and it was fine. We did suffer from the hard beds but still managed to get a good nights sleep. The entertainment was amateurish but fun, these staff members work very hard. The food was good, last year we stayed at the Barcelo Maya and the food was not as good, and iberostar was allot quieter which we liked. We would go back again, we love the friendly mexican people, and I can assure you, you would never find anyone in Canada or the US who work as hard for so little reimbursement. Go with an open mind and you will love it.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (5,122)

Reviewed April 21, 2004

We stayed at the Iberostar from April 11-18, Room #4403 and had a great week. My only complaint was the hardness of the bed. Before we went we read many reviews and were not shocked by the musty smell of the rooms. After the first day, we didn't even notice it anymore. We bought water shoes for our trip and didn't use them. The hotel also provides water shoes if you don't want to buy a pair just for this trip. You can find sandy places to swim just a short walk down the beach and we even swam right in front of the resort. The food was excellent all week. Some of the perks to look for are the hot dog cart at the pool bar in the late afternoon, ice cream drumsticks a couple of times during the week, shrimp cocktails served at your lounge chair and the paella cooked on the beach. Although we never saw lobster there was no shortage of great food to be had. The staff is unbelievable. Very friendly and helpful. We had drinks brought to us every day on the beach and there was no change in the service if you tipped or not. Overall, we were very pleased with our relaxing holiday in the sunshine.

• Stayed: April 2004
4  Thank winterinspi
Peterborough, Ontario
Reviewed April 19, 2004

Hi there, My finace and I just got back from the Iberostar and had a fabulous time! We met so many wonderful people from all over. The service at the resort is UNBELIEVABLE!!! The grounds are clean, the pool is spotless....there were lots of young kids and they had lots to keep them busy. We were originally looking for a spot with only 18+, but this resort worked our perfect. The disco was great and we took a trip into Senor Frogs one night...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. I had read many of the reviews before I left and was not sure what to excpect. I am not sure how visitors could possibly complain about this resort! The beach is not perfect, but nice for walking in either direction. The water is gorgeous! The food was great- but everyone misses their own food after 7 days. The beds were VERY FIRM but must have been good for our backs because we always slept comfortably. I have 2 major suggestions though.
1) When you get off the plane and get your luggage, go directly outside where your tour operator will be waiting to direct you to a taxi. DO NOT get pulled aside by someone that will try to show you a map and try to get you booked to spend a day at a new resort they are promoting ...it is for time sharing or something. We assumed that it was part of our trip, but it was not. ALSO- be sure to rent a jeep for a day and go around the island. It is weel worth it. There is one road and it is a beautiful trip. If you have any questions, feel free to email me. Enjoy your trip- I know you will.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2004

We stayed at the Iberostar last winter. Being paranoid, unseasoned
travelers, we thought a five star hotel was the only safe option. The
Iberostar was absolutely beautiful!! I'm talking about 25 ft high
thatched roof ceilings, marble floors,king size beds that never end,
wrought iron furniture that looks like it came from the old world.
Lights turn on when you open the door to your room, the maids are very sensitive to who you are and what you like(they noticed what was being taken out of the fridge daily and restocked it accordingly) (do you drink more bottled water or cervasia?)
The staff are fluent in several languages and are there to entertain
you or give you all the space you need. The only thing that might turn
you off is the fact that they are on an island that has no choice but
to handle its own sewage( meaning its not carried miles away like in
our cities) so if the wind is drifting the right(wrong) direction you
get an aweful smell going--just in certain areas. But hey, at least you
cab be assured the water is clean, clear and beautiful

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rutherford, NJ
Reviewed April 17, 2004

My party of six adults just returned (04-17-04) from a week's vacation in Cozumel, Mexico. My husband and I have been to this island six times and had always stayed at the Melian on the northern end and really loved it. Unfortunately, there were no rooms available there, so we tried the Iberostar. Big Mistake! This hotel is not designed for people over 30! The rooms are all alike, small, musty, moldy and dark. They are two-story tree house huts. I was given the second story room, which had a thatched roof/ceiling which kept falling apart on my head. There were no drawers, just some cubbies in the clothes closet. Since there were various creatures flying and crawling, I decided to leave my clothes in the suitcase. As soon as I walked into this room, my alergy to mold went wild. The air conditioning vent was crusted with mold. I immediately went to the management to request a "non-hut" room and was told there were none, all rooms are the same. They offered me a ground floor hut room, but my sister-in-law had that type and it was worse than ours! I then asked them to contact my travel agent to move me to a new hotel, but they said there was no one on duty to do this. So I went back to my room and tried myself. Unfortunately, with the time change, the agency had closed 5 minutes prior to my call, so I was stuck there until Monday. Things continued to get worse. Our small bathroom was functional, but the severely rust-stained toilet was unsightly. The first day there, the toilet tank sprung a leak and flooded our bathroom and the room below. A service worker came to fix it while we were at dinner, but failed to tell us that he turned off the water, so when we came back we used the facility, but there was no water to flush! The toilet continued to leak with its "dirty water " all over our floor and to the room below. We decided to wait and oversee the repair this time. They removed the tank, and resealled the base, and wiped up the floor with our bath towels. Needless to say neither my husband or I ever went barefoot in that room. We tried to make the best of the next 48 hours. I have to say that the waiters were very nice, especially Julio. The drinks were good and plentiful. However, the food was mediocre. We ate in the "steak house", again, big mistake. This reservation only eatery (actually the lunch snack bar trasformed at night with tablecloths) offered various steaks and seafood. However, any of the better cuts were not available,(I guess they left with the manager!). We ordered sirloin steaks, which should have been a fairly good steak, but what showed up was a thin (1 cm thick, not 1 inch!) piece of grizzled beef, barely edible. The dessert was good, small, but good. Leaving the restaurant, we serched for a area to sit and relax while we waited for the nightly entertainment show, we discovered that there were no tables or chairs to sit at. The only chairs were beach/pool lounges still damp from the day. We proceeded to the lobby, which was the only place to offer a cushioned seat, but cound not find any available. However, those chairs were no great bargain either, the cushions were frayed and musty like the rooms. For a fairly new hotel (only 2-3 years old) it was poorly maintained. Then on to the show, it was cute, with performances by the children staying at the resort, it was followed by a show performed by resort workers. It was not a professional show, but it was entertaining. The next day we went to the beach, but the water was so dirty we couldn't go in. We had requested extra towels, but were told "no". This was a first, any other hotel had no problem with providing guests with towels. By the way, all the bad reviews about the dive shop were unwarranted. My husband found the Dressler facility to be very professional and cooperative. The boats were not overcrowded, and the dive masters were very accommodating to all the divers. As an experienced diver, he would recommend them to other divers without hesitation. On the second night (our last), We ate at the buffet, food was plentiful and good, but unfortunately, two of the men in our party got Montezuma's Revenge from something they ate or drank. There had been a storm, and we lost power twice during dinner, so we decided to skip the show and go back to the room. Traversing the property was difficult enough along lighted paths, but in darkness it would be impossible for our novices. We found the grounds to be beautiful, with iguanas, exotic birds, flamingos, huge frogs, and lush vegetation. Not enough incentive to keep us there. We we checked out and transferred to the El Presidente(our idea of what a resort should be). We discovered several other people had the same idea. Three other couples went to the Mainland. another three stayed on the island, but the following day we met 3 additional couples in the El Presidente Lobby who had just left the Iberostar for the same reasons we left. In conclusion, the grounds of the Iberostar, the waiters, and the dive shop were great. Everything else needs a serious overhaul. Generally on vacation, people want creature comforts like clean rooms, good food, comfortable chairs. Its all part of the package that encourages guests to return. This hotel was driving people away in droves! Rustic EXTERIORS are fine, but interiors should provide comfort.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 16, 2004

We just retruned from the Iberostar on April 15th, from a 7 night stay.
We took our three children, ages 10-15, and had a great time. I had read the many reviews before booking our vacation and found this to be a great place for children. The hotel grounds were beautiful and highly maintained. The rooms, a little musty, but you barely noticed. The beds were rock hard, but you got used to it. You can hear lots of noises through the thathed roofs, peacocks, birds, gecks, ets, but it was great to wake up hearing the beauty of nature. The food was good, always great choices. The main buffet was the best and always had a different selection every night. Our experience at the Mexican restrauant was not good, service was slow, and food was ok. If you are looking for steaks and american food every night, you are not going to get it. Enjoy the taste of mexican flare for the week. The beach was rocky, so we spent most of the time at the pool. The drinks were very good. If you like Margaritas, be sure to get them on the rocks, wonderful, some of the best I have had. We always tipped the staff.
$1-2 every night in the room, we had nice arrangements made with the towels and flowers. $1-2 at breakfast and lunch, we received great service. The staff here really wanted to make your stay a great one. We rented a car and drove around the island. We went to Coconuts, beautiful view. We also went to Chakanaab, beautiful snorkeling, especially for the kids. We took the tour of Tulum, it was great, very hot day though. I highly recommend shopping in Playa Del Carmen, verses Cozumel (San Migel), you get much better deals there. It would be very easy to take a taxi to the ferry and go to Playa Del Carmen youself. My husband, myself, and oldest child are all divers and chose not to go with Dressels because they were so expensive. We chose Dive with Martin and these guys were great, I would highly recommend. Just email them before you go and they will pick you up at the pier and bring equipment for you, it is even included in the price of the dive package. I will definately return with my kids because this is a great family resort.
If you are looking for an upscale resort without family flare, go to the Presidente. My husband and I have stayed here without the kids and it was great (a little expensive, not inclusive).

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Regina, SK, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2004

My boyfriend and I went to the Iberostart Resort in Cozumel the 1st week in February of 2004. We loved it! Positives: - great people- buffet food was excellent- rooms were small but clean, no bugs- thatched roof in rooms was fun- met lots of nice people from canada, US and overseas- good place for couples or families- BEAUTIFUL GROUNDS with pink flamingos, peacocks, brightly coloured birds wow!- we liked that it was a small resort so you could walk around everywhere, no need to take a shuttle- for the snorkelling and scuba trips many of the tours stopped at our peir on their way to the reefs...you didn't have to taxi into town which was a huge bonus- I swam with dolphins at chuunkanaab, it was well worth the money, trainer was awesome, I would do it again- we took the jungle jeep tour, what a blast, lunch was amazing and whole thing was an awesome experience- snorkel tour was excellent as well-staff works very hard at entertaining guests, it seems like it's their goal to put a smile on your face, and they do!
Downside: there's not much I would change, I didn't give it a 5 star review since I have never been to Mexico before and have nothing to compare it to- food at a la carte restaurants was ok, we liked the buffet better, may not be the best resort if you are going with a group of friends to party, only a small disco and the rest in in town which is a 20$ US Taxi fare one way- hard to get a chair by the pool- we'd get up at 8AM and go and put our towels down on some chairs- wouldn't recommend the jeep tour for anyone with back problems/pregnant/ small children etc, it is so rocky that you are being thrown around quite a bit, you can't really wear a seatbelt because it would dig in to bad, still a very good time just not for everyone Overall: I loved it there.
I think we'd try something different next time but I would definitely consider going back there in the future.

• Stayed: February 2004