“Great Holiday” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
North Bay, Canada
“Great Holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

we stayed here in February 2013 and were very pleased in spite of some of the reviews we had read. We went to dive and were very satisfied with the diving staff and the hotel/resort staff. In short the resort gives an intimate feel, the gardens, pathways, and "cottages" were well maintained and clean. Not luxurious but very good and we would go back without any hesitation. Food was tasty and the dining room clean. Absolutely no complaints and we have stayed at some of the more luxurious resorts on the mainland. Admittedly, there was no real beach but the diving was fantastic and this is a great place to go if you want a terrific team that is accomodating and experienced.

Room Tip: aim for a cottage near the ocean
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BryanandConnie
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management and the staff at the Iberostar Cozumel we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing to stay with us and for writing your comments on TripAdvisor for us and the rest of the online community.

We are thankful for all your kind comments for our coworkers as we are really proud of the service they provide as they are an important part of our hotel. It is gratifying to read that you enjoyed the settings and surroundings as well as the cleanliness of the hotel and the food.

As you mentioned the entrance to the beach is rocky but this is because we are located near the most beautiful reefs of the Cozumel Island and we are in a protected area we cannot touch.

We are sure that for the next holidays you would not hesitate to give us the opportunity to serve you once more at the Iberostar Cozumel.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (973)
  • Polish first
Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Great value, amazing food, beautiful garden like setting with iguanas and flamingoes. Helpful and friendly staff. There were waits at reception that could have been avoided with better scheduling of staffing to accommodate expected arrivals.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

1 Thank Steve67_13
Dear guest

We are glad to read your review and know that you had a fantastic time with the staff and that you really enjoyed the settings and surroundings as well the wild life around the hotel.

Thank you for your constructive comments about the service you received at the front desk. We will be passing your comments on to our front desk manager to tackle scheduling to avoid these inconveniences to future guests.

We are confident that we will see you in the future at our property Iberostar Cozumel, so we look forward to that!

Wisconsin, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed here in March 2013 and had a great time. The staff was friendly and helpful and the food was very good for an all inclusive. There is a dive shop on premises where you can learn to dive in one day. They made my first diving experience very enjoyable. Even if you don't dive, the snookeling is spectacular as well. We saw a bunch of sea turtles, lobsters, groupers, parrot fish, barracudas, a huge angel fish, a green moray eel, nurse sharks and more. The other great thing is that you can snorkel right of the pier and fish congregate underneath and around it. I saw a barracuda, 12" angel fish, parrot fish and more right off the pier. Overall, it was a spectacular vacation experience.

Room Tip: We had what I would consider to be the best room on the property, 1103. It was $50 more per night b...
Dear customer,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Cozumel.

It is a cause of satisfaction to know that you enjoyed the surroundings and the service our co workers offered, as well as the food at the hotel.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed the diving as well the marvelous wild life in the beautiful reefs of the Cozumel Island as it is one of the many wonders it offers to their visitors and as you have mentioned, Iberostar Cozumel is located near them!

We really look forward to your next visit to our property Iberostar Cozumel

Kind Regards

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Some of my family are experienced resort travellers. I am not but tagged along with them for a week's vacation at end of February.

The beach was lovely - easy access down the ladder from the dock (I had read reviews and knew I needed beach shoes - I wear them in the pond at home so why not in Mexico as well). Plenty of shade available. The pool was nice with lots of seating around it, although shade by the pool was harder to come by.

Staff was excellent - the activities staff was personable and friendly, eager to please. The wait staff was attentive. Bar tenders were great. Cleaning staff was helpful and attentive to requests for extra items.

Room was a bit cramped - but partly our fault we had two beds & a cot in ours. The first room I was in didn't have enough plug-ins - and none near the bed - switched with another member in our group.

We ate once at the Steak restaurant - huge portion - I share mine and was still stuffed. We also ate once at the Mexican restaurant. The main buffet was good - the Asian night was particularly good and the cheese selection was wonderful. Breakfast choices were great - lots of fresh fruit, waffles, pancakes, etc. The buffet by the pool was also good. Lots of great guacomole and salsa. Never quite did figure out the right ratio of stuff to chips tho'. :D

Room Tip: Closer to the beach is quieter at night.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank sunny b
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear customer,

Thank you for choosing us and for sharing your experience.

We feel honored to know you enjoyed our facilities and that you appreciated the environment.

Thank you for valuing our gastronomy offer, the accommodation and the service provided by our staff. We have shared your comments with them and they are very pleased!

We look forward to your next visit to our hotel in the future!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Check in:
We arrived at the resort at 8 pm and there was a huge line at the front desk and only 2 staff members checking guests in on a Saturday night. Gabriella assisted us and she was amazing throughout our stay, always remembering who we were, a true asset to the resort. All of the other resorts that I have been to always pass out drinks during the check in process and we did not see anyone doing that. There were a total of 6 of us in our group and after we checked in there were no bellman to be seen. We ventured off into the dark trying to find our hut; we did see staff members walking the grounds but never once asked if we needed help with anything which I found very odd.

Rooms:
Once we find our hut, I couldn’t believe how small and musty smelling the rooms were. We were so disappointed but starving so we decided to grab something to eat and asked to move rooms. We moved the following day to a second level and were much happier with the location (close to the lobby) as well as the smell. I recommend bringing an air freshener for the room because my friend has allergies and spent a lot of time sneezing in the rooms. The rooms are very outdated; most of them still have the 1990’s televisions in them which I find very odd. Also, most channels are in Spanish so be prepared to not know what’s going on in the world during your stay. The beds are VERY hard and uncomfortable unless you have a mattress topper, I suggest you ask for one or you will go several nights without sleep. There are bungalows throughout the property so it’s not your typical resort, it honestly reminded us of camping, just a step up from that.

Grounds:
The wildlife is AMAZING! I love cats and there were cats everywhere as well as flamingos, iguanas, parrots and turtles. During the morning and night, the iguanas all lay in the trees and it’s just so peaceful to watch them, definitely my favorite part. It is very hard to find your way around. I even got lost on my last day trying to find my room – be prepared to walk a lot and search for things. There are not a lot of staff members on the grounds that will go out of their way to help you find what you are looking for.

Staff:
I have been at two other resorts and received top notch service at both of those facilities and I could not believe the horrible service at this resort. I’m actually really surprised to read reviews saying that the service was amazing because it was NOT. Every time I asked for a drink, I felt as if I was annoying the bartender. The lobby bar is so small and never staffed and be prepared to wait at least 10 minutes for a drink. My friend and I swam up to the pool bar a few times and there were usually 2 bartenders there but a lot of the time, they would literally not even acknowledge our presence. I was very disappointed in the service at this resort as nobody seemed to go out of their way to make me feel welcome. I caught a lot of them even yawning during their shifts which isn’t surprising since they are completely overworked and exhausted. Most of the workers know very LITTLE English which made things difficult. It’s hard to communicate when the workers have no idea what you are even saying.

Food:
The selection is very minimal and repetitive. I think I ate pizza and hot dogs my entire stay because there was not enough variety and I was completely disappointed. I’m used to the RIU resorts where there is an abundance of food and this is not a place where you will see that. The dessert selection was also very poor. The good thing is that I didn’t eat a lot so I’m sure I didn’t gain any weight  The restaurant for lunch near the pool was my least favorite – don’t even try to ask your server for a soda, you might as well just get it yourself. For breakfast one morning we all ordered Mimosas and were told that “it was too early” to get one. Seriously?! There was 1 day at the dinner buffet that the service was extraordinary and it was because it was “survey night.” There was a head honcho there, I’m guessing the General Manager and all of the staff was awesome – that was our last night there. It was shocking to see them moving so fast because we never experienced that during our stay. The staff does not seem happy at this resort and it could really benefit from a complete renovation of the grounds and service.

WIFI:
HORRIBLE. Don’t plan on trying to use the internet from their computers. If you bring your laptop or iPhone, you should be fine but I did not do that. I tried checking my yahoo email from their computer and I couldn’t get into my account at all and I heard from someone else the same thing. There is a cost to use the WIFI which I think is ridiculous.

COZUMEL:
Don’t go to Cozumel unless you are a serious diver and or snorkeler. There is coral everywhere which turns the color of the ocean a darker color and it defeats the whole propose of seeing the Caribbean Sea. Just to go into the ocean, you will need to walk on a pier and go down steps. There is no beach to walk at this resort because of all the seaweed and the smell of sewer is apparent throughout the island. Be prepared to not flush any toilet paper either. That shocked me as I’m not used to that at other resorts.
While we were waiting for our taxi to take us to the airport, I asked for the drink of the day at the lobby bar and the rude bartender told me that they didn’t have one. Overall, I was VERY disappointed with this resort and would NEVER stay here again but I’m happy that I was able to enjoy the sun and good company!

Room Tip: Ask for a second level close to the lobby!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank mexicogirl2013
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We are seasoned international travelers but have never made it to Mexico so we decided to give the Iberostar, Mexico and all-inclusive a try. We were a little apprehensive given the range of reviews for this resort but we are avid snorkelers and wanted a resort that had on property snorkel access. First let me say that the resort is an eco park which was much like staying in a wonderful exotic zoo. There were so many animals roaming freely it was quite spectacular to experience. They didn't bother you but were visible in the natural habitat that surrounds the resort. The resort itself is getting a little bit dated but is immaculately clean. Our room was well appointed, clean and our room attendant made animal creations out of towels every day. He even decorated our beds with fresh flower petals! The resort was filled to capacity but we would not have known that as it was quiet even at night. The pools were very large and immaculately kept. The food was plentiful and always available somewhere in the resort. It was not 5 star dining but you could certainly find something that you liked at each meal. There are several restaurants that you can make reservations at for dinner. The american restaurant was only open on Friday and Saturday but the steakhouse and mexican restaurants are open every day. They take reservations for a couple of hours in the morning starting at 9am. We didn't realize until the end of our trip that you could make all the reservations for your stay at one time. The mexican restaurant requires men/boys to be in long pants..no exceptions! The staff everywhere was exceptional. The entire resort seemed to be slightly understaffed but everyone had a smile on! The snorkeling was amazing by the dock where all the fish seem to hang out. I highly recommend the several snorkeling excursions that leave daily from the resort dock. You will not be disappointed as the snorkeling is great, the staff on the boats is entertaining and it's inexpensive for what you get. The shows at the resort were entertaining and worthwhile to see. We also found that if you gave the bartenders a modest tip and asked for an "especiale margarita" you got a much better cocktail. All in all for what we paid I think this resort is a great value. We had a great time and are considering trying another Iberostar property.

2 Thank Jennifer S
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

It was the second time with Iberostar Resort and we would like return here again and again. It's a real Paradise! Many thanks to everyone working there, you're the best!!!
We so like all Iberostar animals "employees", speaking red and green parrot, bunch of funny iguanas, flamingos, ets.
First time we visited Iberostar 2009 year, and we have happily found lots of positive improvements since that time with entertainment, quality and variety of food and service in general. Started with entertainment nowadays it looks much more professional, especially All-Star Sunday show with elements of Cirque De Soleil, live music-songs, Karaoke, beach disco and most favorite and interesting Fire Show on the beach.
Disco has been improved too, you can order almost any music you would to listen and dance within range of Disco of 80-th, Queens to the moderns ones. Only what we wanted to have, same days like weekends Disco opens until 3:00 a.m.
The two Buffets, Main, Cozumel and Palapa El Cedra, Pool Buffet are very good with variety of food and every evening with different style of food, liked Asian, Mexican and International. The Mexican Restaurant was so-so, expect part with Tequla-hot-coffee small show to impress. Stake-house as other people on Trip=Adviser told is the best from all three restaurants. Room was cozy, small and very clean, no smells (I took an Air-weak, just in case)...as other wrote.Pool and beach area are almost the same as in other resorts with lot's of activities. Service is good, staff is very polite, friendly and professional, we met same of the previous employees, it was very nice to see them in good state. They ask to write 200 characters, I'm not so good with writing, however I posted lot's photos to share, please enjoy them...

Room Tip: Second floor away from pool area
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple