“Good Hotel Close to Reefs”
Review of Iberostar Cozumel

Iberostar Cozumel
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersGold level
Columbia, Missouri
“Good Hotel Close to Reefs”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed at the Iberostar Cozumel for five nights in November. Overall, we were pleased with our stay. The food was on par with AI resorts on Cozumel; decent, but nothing to blow you away. The variety on the buffets was good. The Mexican speciality restaurant was really good. You can take snorkel trips directly from the dock there at the hotel, which is really nice. The entertainment staff go above and beyond to make you have a good time. The dance/club music piped out by the pool gets old. Overall, this is a good price for an AI on Cozumel. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Our friends had the master suite and it was AWESOME.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dewclaws
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Client

On behalf of all the staff and the general manager we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Cozumel for your recent vacation and for taking your time to send us your comments on your experience with our hotel.

We are delighted to see that you enjoyed the hotel’s settings and surroundings

Regarding the old music at the pool, we are passing your comment to the entertainment manager from the hotel, we promise you that will work on it.

We appreciate you sharing your impressions because they give us the opportunity to improve and offer better service, which is the objective of Iberostar

We look forward to see you in the near future in your home away from home Iberostar Cozumel

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,025)
  • Polish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was our first time at the Iberostar in Cozumel. But it will not be our last. It’s a little far away from town, but that what we like. We rented a car, so we could go snorkeling at other places from shore. Snorkeling from shore at the Iberostar was also very nice, lots and lots of fish and sea life to see. I liked going either early morning or late in the day. Less boats coming in and out from the pier, which stirred up the water. The food was good. We could always find something we liked. I read all of the reviews before going and was a little worried, but like I said, there was always something we liked. If you could not find good food, you were not trying hard enough. I thought the drinks were great. They would make you what ever drink you wanted and also had top shelf liquor, you just had to ask for it. The room we had was also great. The KING size bed was very nice and the shower was very nice. Water was nice and hot. Staff was very friendly. Lots of animal life at the resort also.

2 Thank hunteris40
Dear Client

On behalf of all the staff and the general manager we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Cozumel for your recent vacation and for taking your time to send us your comments on Trip advisor

We are pleased to know that you liked our environment and the services that we offer. It is good to know that we provided you with a great vacation and that you mentioned that you intend to return to Iberostar Cozumel.

Your review motivates us to keep working. as we always strives for an excellence in service.

We look forward to seeing you again at our hotel.

Best regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We switched to the Iberostar from another resort 3 days into our vacation!
This resort is beautiful, from the indiividual little grass roof rooms, to the pool to the becah everything was perfect for us!
The Food while sometimes was bland...it was for the most part excellent!
The Staff was easy to deal with and always so nice and accomodating to your every need!
Make sure that you ask Gabriel and Marten at the pool bar to make you a Polar bear....compliments of the crazy Canadians :)
The best drinks are Dirty Monkeys and Rum Runners!!!!
You can snorkel right off the beach - not much coral to look at but TONS of sea life to be seen!
we arent divers, but we still enjoyed this resort to the fulliest and will return again and again!
we met some amazing people who we will keep in touch with and may even get to travel with again!
This is totally a great resort to get your moneys worth out of!!!

Room Tip: The Beds are HARD! Make sure to ask for a Pillow Matress Topper when you get there! They make allll...
2 Thank Lindsay D
Dear client

First of all we would like to thank for choosing to stay at Iberostar Cozumel and for taking the time to share your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us

We are especially pleased to see that you enjoyed the hotel’s settings and surroundings. It is an honor that you had a nice time with employees; we will especially compliment them for all their effort. Our team is constantly working to provide the best possible experience to our guests.

Concerning the food issue we are passing your comments to our chef in order to improve and enhance quality. Indeed, your well being and your entire satisfaction is our primary goal.

We take well consideration about all the concern issues you brought up to our attention, and we will definitely work on them.

Greetings

ohio
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This was our first trip to the Iberastar, but not my first time to Cozumel.
We enjoyed the grounds here. The Peacocks, Iguanas, birds are plentiful and fun to watch.
The Lobby is very nice. Pools are very nice! Ahh the beach is soft and silky sandy with lots of trees for shade and lots of room for sunning. The water is beautiful with breathtaking sunsets!
The food was good with the exception of getting margerine for the yummy fresh bread! Two days they told me they had none at the lunch buffet.
That is the end of any good I have to say about this resort.
Service-- nonexistant! I got the first clue when we went to the lunch buffet by the pool. We walked in found a table, grabbed a plate and a drink. Sat down eating our meal which was good.
Noone spoke to us or offered to refill our drinks. Dinner was even worse, they seated us, brought our drinks, then when we went for dessert, they cleaned our table, took our drinks. I asked the server for silverware explained to him, they had taken our drinks and cleared our table. He handed me silverware, but never came to the table. We did have company at our table.
They have enclosed the cats inside the buffet. The cats roam the buffet sitting at the table in the chairs while you eat or sit by you waiting to be fed. I had flea bites when we left. How disgusting
to pin up nasty cats in a buffet.
We learned quickly never to leave the table at the same time. The servers did pick up your plates but never bothered to speak to you.
Rooms... We were put in 7311. The bathroom had mold on the ceilings in the bathroom the room was small . The next morning I walked out onto the balcony. A rotten board came loose sinking under my foot until it came up to the railing and stopped. We told the housekeeper and went to see the Apple Vacations rep. He had us moved to room 2503 which was on the ground floor. when you went to use the bathroom you had to dodge the water drops from the ceiling. We put a towel on the floor and wiped off the toilet seat before we sat down. We were only there 4 days and didnt want to waste our vacation packing and moving from 1 room to another. Most of the balconies have loose boards and rotten wood.
One good thing to be mentioned is the great service at the lobby bar. Juan and Gaspar are great bartenders! They are the only service people in the whole resort who are any good. The rest treat you like you are in their way or pretend you are not there. It would kill them to even reply to a good morning comment from you. Star friend Malexa is a real sweety.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
3 Thank takeme2coz
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I'll start off with some of the better points of the resort.
It has a nice nature feel to it, lots of greens and a few animals.
While technically not a part of the resort, the dive shop is awesome!
The bungalow concept of the place is pretty good in theory. The problem is maintenance. There was mold on the walls in the room, the tiles on the shower floor were worn rough and worn down.
The staff barely speaks English, and most of the time just says "yes". The evening entertainment was silly and mediocre. But the absolute worst part is the food. During my entire stay I had a bad stomach, and my wife threw up a couple of times. We actually had to leave the resort to get safe food. Much of the food is lukewarm, perfect environment for growth of bacteria.

I would not recommend Iberostar Cozumel to anyone nor will I ever return.

4 Thank btn21
Dear Client

We would like to apologize for all the inconveniences you encounter during your stay here with us.

We deeply regret the impression caused by our cuisine. I would like to inform you that our company has a high priority for the hygienic and sanitary questions, and we have improved a control program from an external company (Saniconsult).
This company comes every month to verify our system procedures and we are getting excellent effects, what declares that our procedures are adequate. Indeed, your well being and your entire satisfaction is our primary goal.

All your comments are now by knowledge of all the different managers involved, so we can work on all those opportunities of improvements you have mentioned. We are also working with all our Iberostar’s members to get a better attitude service, because Service is our reason to be.

It is very sad to hear you have decided to do not return to our place, but if, in a future you change your mind, we will be more than glad to welcome you, and we will give you a so much different and better image of us to you.

Best regards.

Mount Pleasant, Michigan, USA
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We were their from the 13 thru the 21 of December.
We enjoyed the food but the selection was limited compared to larger resorts.
My wife and I ate a lot of Grouper and other types of fish that were well prepared, really enjoyed the silver drum in the mexican restaurant.
The star friends were very helpful,kind and friendly. Especially Joel, he befriended my son and really made the trip for him. My son is 12. He was also very kind and encouraging to my wife and daughter. A really quality individual.

Some negatives, we had some issues getting the safe to work, we called three times and no one ever came. We eventually figured it out ourselves.
It rained just before we got there. My first time coming down the steps my feet went from under me. I fell and slid down about 5 steps. I mentioned it to the receptionist, they said they would call the next day to see if I was ok, I got no calls. I also believe I found the step and the reason that I fell, My wife also slipped on the step but did not fall. I mentioned to 3 different management staff. I do not believe any action was taken. Be careful when the steps are wet and especially those that have a rounded edge.
The resort is quite and really laid back and relaxing.
It cost 18 dollars to go into town, we shopped one day and had a fun time.
Of course snorkeling and diving on cozumel is incredible.
Bring bug spray, once the sun goes down the sand flies will bite on your lower legs when you are near the beach. I know they were spraying for them also.
My daughter got sick one night/day as many others in resort did.
This could have been a regular occurrence or just one persons mistake that cost a lot of folks one day of their vacation.
We asked for foam pads for the beds, they were installed on our beds the same day and made them a lot softer.
Very quick transfer from the airport to the hotel.
Beautiful and clean grounds and rooms.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

1 Thank mrcar7
Dear guest

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Cozumel for your recent vacations and for taking the time to share with us your reviews about your experience with us.

We apologize for the inconveniences you encounter during your stay as your safe deposit box as well for your fall in the ladder in your room. We are glad to know you are healthy.
For us it is important to know that you valued the positive points that you found in our resort and as well regarding the ones where we can work; you can be sure that we have shared them with the management team, so we can assure you that we are taking actions to improve our quality service.

We will share your comments to all our staff but especially to our entertainment manager as he have formed part of your happiness

A TripAdvisor Member

Stayed 12/15-12/21/2012
Overall Rating 3/5
The best way to summarize my feelings about the 6 nights I stayed at Ibertostar Cozumel are that I’m not sorry that I went, but I won’t be going back.
Food Rating 2/5
The food in the sit down restaurants is decent at the Steakhouse and American restaurants and great at the Mexican restaurant, but the buffets are generally terrible. We were not aware before the trip that a VERY limited number of reservations are given to the sit down restaurants each night and that for a 6 night stay you are only allowed 2 reservations during your stay. I will expand on my restaurant frustrations in the Service category.
The only options for breakfast and lunch are the buffets. The breakfast buffet is usually passable if you play it safe with pancakes (not waffles), donuts, cereal, and fruit.
Lunch is the worst meal of the day. There are a lot of different options on the buffet that sound good in theory, but are terrible in execution. I’m not sure how they manage to screw up pizza, hot dogs, and hamburgers, but they find a way to do it. I would rather eat lunch at a public school cafeteria than this lunch buffet.
The Dinner buffet is not as bad as lunch, but nothing special either. Two members of our party did get food poisoning at the dinner buffet, but we were unable to determine what exactly made them sick.
Because of the substandard quality of the buffet food, we tried unsuccessfully to get additional reservations at the sit down restaurants. The most frustrating part of this is that the restaurants are half empty during dinner, but they will not seat you without a reservation because they are saving the tables for later parties. For example, our party of 10 was denied a table at 6:30pm even though there was a table for 18 set and prepared for an 8:30pm reservation.
Another example of poor service was trying to get a bottle of water from the front desk for my pregnant wife (who is under doctor’s orders to stay away from the tap water while in Mexico). At any other resort I have been to, this would have been a non-issue, but at Iberostar it was simply impossible for them to get a bottle of water for her. We were told to return to our room on the other side of the resort and get one from the minibar.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Costumer

On behalf of the General Manager we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing iberostar and also for taking your time to write a review on Tripadvisor about your experience with us.

First of all, please accept my sincere apologies regarding all the inconveniences during your recent stay here at the Iberostar Cozumel, especially the misunderstanding about dinner reservations at the restaurants and the food.

We deeply regret the impression caused by our cuisine. I would like to inform you that our company has a strict hygienic and sanitary policy, reinforced by a control program we get from an external company (Saniconsult). This company visits us every month to verify our system procedures and we are getting excellent results, showing that our procedures are adequate. Indeed, your wellbeing and your entire satisfaction is our primary goal.

Regarding the issue about the bottle of water that you ordered. Usually we do not have any bottles of water in the reception area or bars; they are available in the rooms as house keeping is the only departament in charge of refilling all the bottles of the minibar, but we do make exceptions to bring them to reception when a customer requests it, therefore we are sorry for this inconvenience.

We have opportunities to improve and your feedback helps us. We will use it as a learning tool, taking into account all the comments you brought up to our attention, and we will definitely work on them with all Departments.

We hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you back once more to our hotel in the future and show you our improvements