“We'll Be Back”

Iberostar Cozumel
Ranked #10 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We are very experienced travellers, and we like to set our on agenda -- so we have never stayed at an all-inclusive resort. What a pleasant suprise! This was a professional operation with well-appointed amenities.

This was primarily a rigourous SCUBA diving trip for us (20 dives in 6 days), so it was a relief to come back to good meals (available almost any time), swimming pools (with a swim-up bar), entertainment (though we were too tired to party hard), manicured grounds, numerious open bars, sunset on the beach, a room refrig stocked with beer, etc. We expected to rent a car at some point to get "off-campus", but never felt the need.

Permit me to note that some of the negative comments on TripAdivsor about this resort appear exagerated (but acknowledging that there are some insects in Mexico, and, yes, there are animals on the grounds -- we enjoyed the few iguanas, flamingos, cats, peacocks and turtles walking around).

We expect to return to Cozumel and stay with Iberostar.

9  Thank NYHughmanatee
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Dear Client.
On Behalf of all the Hotel Crew, and particularly the manager, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the on-line community how your holiday went at the Iberostar Cozumel. We are delighted to hear that you have had an special holiday.
We hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again at Iberostar Cozumel.
Best regards
Iberostar Mexico

Write a ReviewReviews (5,118)

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We loved the landscaping of the resort and the bungalows. The resort has a dock and offers snorkeling excursions to Palancar and Columbia reefs. The food was good and the swim-up bar was fun. Numerous helpful staff.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
8  Thank Victoria143
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear guest.

We would like to thank you for your nice comments.
We hope being able to offer you our hospitality once again so you can spend another memorable vacations with your family and, maybe next time, with your friends too.
Warm and sunny regards,
Quality Managaer

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Well we just returned, went Oct 7th to the 14th.

This was off season so it was very quite there which was good for us.

Checked in so fast couldn't believe it, and enjoyed a Welcome drink.

Our room was 8811, which was on the 2nd floor, very nice room, yes the bed is hard but we did OK, house keeping does a beautiful job cleaning and there wonderful towel animals. Our air conditioning ran very well nice and cool and not too loud.

Mosquitos...there where lots and lot's, bring spray, not sure it really works sometimes...heard they had alot of rain the week before it was just this time of the yr the people at the Resort said it isn't always this bad.

The staff are wonderful, bartenders, pool kids, restraunants...everyone always willing to talk with you.

The food, I or my husband arenot very picky so we did well eating, gucamole and pico where always good and fresh, you could make yourself a nice salad.
Mexican was ok, got a shrimp dish very salty, but there buffet bar had nice selection of mexican apptizers.
Steak house was ok, better steak in US.
Breakfast was alway good nice selection.
If you drink they do have top shelf so just ask, I did and was happy with my Baileys at night, my husband drank the red win which he said was fine.

Pool was always warm, and the ocean too, we don't snorkel so we didn't go in the Ocean that ofter, just our feet, was rocky so you do need water shoes.

If you like cats, there are alot of them that show up at the buffets, I do like cats so brought my own cat treats, and had 1 for the week, she greeted us in the morning and at night, think she wanted to sleep with us, but drew the line just with the treats.

Rented a small car for 24hrs, with Ins full, $99, took a tour of the Island and shopped, they are brutal shopping, thought prices where very high and try getting out of a store was impossiable. Wish I could have shopped more, but the husband said enough...LOL

So on the whole it was very relaxing, travel alot so not sure if I would go back there again...but you never know...Cancun maybe the next time....

5  Thank janko1980
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Cozumel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Madame.

We would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing the Iberostar Cozumel. It is cause of satisfaction to hear that you have had a fabulous time with us. We are sharing all your comments with our different Head departments, we know that we have opportunities to improve in and we will use your feedback as a learning tool.

We hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again at any of our Iberostar Hotels, and as you said, maybe Iberostar Cancun for the next time.

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I just got back from a 5-night stay at this resort, during the first week of October. It was a wonderful experience and we would go back! Check-In went very smoothly and we were to our room within 15min of setting foot in the lobby. We were even given a very refreshing & cold fruit drink while we were doing the registration paperwork. The lady at the Front Desk (Suemy) was wonderful and always seemed to be working there.
Our room was on the second floor and had a great view of the ocean and very close to the dive shop. Yes, the bed was very firm but my wife and I like that kind of mattress and slept very well. The AC worked great and the room was always nice and cool. Overall, the room was very comfortable! Housekeeping was in each day and kept the room looking great and we always had a new "towel animal" on the bed when we returned from our diving.
The grounds are kept up very well and every staff member always says hi. The pools are very clean and well maintained. The pool bar seemed to be the place to meet people. Service was good and the bartenders (especially Aaron) kept the drinks flowing. They can even recommend some fine (and strong) drinks. We never had a problem finding a chair by the pool and the beach was never crowded. Each morning the beach is raked and cleaned! Getting into the ocean can be a bit difficult because of the rocky bottom but the do have a ladder off of the pier so that you can get into the ocean without trying to walk across the rocky bottom at the waters edge.
The food was excellent at the buffets! Each day was something fresh and different and we never saw items "recycled" as one post mentioned. The wait staff were outstanding, pleasent and helpful. Shout out to Carolina & Tony! We never encountered one rude or nasty person the entire time we were there. We even checked out the gym while we were that. Had the place all to ourselves!
We did rent a jeep for 24hrs from the Thrifty car rental concession right in the hotel. $125.00 for the day which included the rental and every kind of insurance coverage we could get. Probably paid more for the insurance than the Jeep but we wanted to make sure we were covered. Took a ride around the island for the day. We recommend checking out downtown... Not the tourist area but a few blocks up from the cruise ship docks. Experience the real cozumel! Drive around the island and stop at some of the roadside stands and stores. Most people speak some english... enough to get by for everyone. Check out the "wildside" of the island! The East coast is pretty much open beach that you can drive along for miles. Stop and rest on a deserted beach for as long as you like. The current is strong as well as the waves. Be careful of going to far out!
Back to the hotel... When it came time for check out, we called the bell boy and from the time of the call till we were in the Taxi was only 20 min. Very quick and friendly service! Taxi to the airport was $25us for the both of us and they had taxi's on standby right at the hotel.

A few notes... Not complaints but some info to pass along: Bring lots of sunscreen and bug spray. We ran out of sunscreen and paid $23us in the lobby gift shop. There are lots of mosquitoes there. After all, you're surrounded by jungle! They do fog for those damn critters but the mosquitoes are winning! Use bug spray alot, especially at dusk and in the morning. Be careful about leaving clothing on your porch to dry, especially if your on the second floor. The peacocks like to roost overnight on the higher areas and mess up clothing left out. When we were there, the hotel was at about 10% occupancy. The specialty restaurants wern't open but the food in the buffets made up for it!

One final suggestion: Even though it is an all inclusive resort, bring some pesos along with you. Drop some pesos to the waitstaff, bellboy, bartenders, cab driver, etc... They really work hard at making the vacation nice and it helps them and their famlies out as well.

Enjoy

11  Thank DeaconCouple

Dear Gentleman.
On behalf of all the Iberostar Cozumel Crew We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Cozumel as your holiday destination.
We would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review for TripAdvisor about all your highlights with us and our Crew. We are extremely proud to know that Suemy, Aaron, Carolina and Tony made a remarkable service in benefit to your comfort. We will inform them that they have formed part of your wellbeing.
We look forward to seeing you again at our hotel.
Best regards,

Reviewed October 13, 2012

This is a review of our day trip (no room). We had considered this location for our vacation but chose to return to the Iberostar Quetzal.

At the Quetzal, we inquired about an exchange for the day to the Iberostar Cozumel. No problem. We took the early ferry from Playa del Carmen ($13US each-one way) and then a cab (about $40 US roundtrip) to Iberostar Cozumel. This is a ways out of town.

Arriving at the resort, we were greeted by the staff. At reception, we were asked to leave one (only one was required – not one each) form of ID. Glad we had a driver’s license rather than leaving a passport. ID can be retrieve when departing. There is no other charges for the day trip exchange.

We were provided another wrist band and two beach towels and we proceed to the main (lobby) buffet for some breakfast.

We spent time on the beach and by the pool. The beach bar was closed and there was no drink service on the beach. We had to go to the pool bar for drinks.

The pool is very nice and a good layout.

The beach, although nice is small and rocky at the water’s edge.

The grounds are lovely. The landscape is well designed and maintained and the animals are a nice addition.

We had lunch at the pool/beach buffet. At both locations, the food was OK but, Iberostar Quetzal, although similar, seems to offer better selection and displayed.

Overall, we liked the resort design. It is quite (which we like) and relaxing. We enjoy getting out and about when on a longer vacation. If we chose to stay at this resort in the future, we would rent a car or arrange other transport so that we could explore.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MellynnNc

Dear Madame.
On behalf of the manager of the Iberostar Cozumel, We would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor about your experience at the Iberostar Cozumel.
We are pleased to have contributed making your Day Pass a nice experience; we look forward to be able to offer you our hospitality at Iberostar Cozumel.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Wanting to do something new in Cozumel, we contacted Iberostar by email asking if they offered "Day Passes". Recieved a response stating that they did offer a Day Pass for $45 and we didn't need a reservation. No other instructions were given.
We took a taxi from the port for $17. When we arrived, we asked for a day pass and the desk clerk first asked if we were given a price. We stated $45 dollars and placed our money down.
He then stated he needed a passport.... so we came up with a passport. He made a copy. Then he looked at the money and said they didn't take American dollars. One of the hotel guest offered to exchanged the dollars into pesos. We declined and the clerk left and returned saying he could accept them. Left and returned stating that their machine wasn't working and that they couldn't do the transaction but would accept a credit card.
At this point we didn't trust them and got a taxi and left. What a waste of money & time. The resort itself was attactive but I will never stay in a Iberostar.
Later on the ship we overheld some fellow passengers talking about the Iberostar, so we asked them about their experience. It was an entire family which had reserved a room for the day so enjoy the resort. They too had great difficulties and basically was turned away. They returned to the ship.
I have no problem with resorts that do not want to offer Day passes, I fully understand. What I do resent is one that says one thing and does another.
I hope this will help any future cruisers from a bad experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Merg55

Dear client
We would like to thank you for your choosing the IBEROSTAR Cozumel for you day pass and greatly appreciate your time in sending us your comments. Thank you for sharing your experiences, it helps us to improve our services for future guests.

Regarding the inconveniences you had to go through, we would like to explain that here in Mexico we have a new law that require a process before accepting any payments in US dollars and to make the process simple, we always tend to offer the method of credit card payment as an alternative.

We deeply regret for the incident that this new legislation process has caused to you. We are working and taking this matter extremely seriously as we always strives for service excellence. We apologize for the misunderstanding you experienced in our Front Desk and the impression caused by our clerks. We already shared your comments with our Front Desk Manager in order to improve and enhance quality.

We really want to thank you for taking the time to send us your valuable feedback about your impression from Iberostar Cozumel. We hope to be able to offer you our hospitality, so you can enjoy our services and spend a memorable vacation with your family and friends.

Best regards

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Let me say this was my first trip to Cozumel and my boyfriends 3rd time all to the Iberostar.
We traveled with another couple and loved it. Everything!
We arrived in Cozumel during a storm. Small layover in Cancun. Finally made it to the Iberostar 4 hours late. Very sad and we were ready to relax. Checked in quickly they didn't have anybody to take us to our room so we sat at the lobby bar. We didn't mind, Juan took very good care of us.
Made sure we made it in to buffet before they closed and enjoyed more drinks after dinner. Finnally made it to our room. Soooo cute I fell in love. I did have to ask for a matress pad after the third night. That was very helpful. Antonio at the front had them bring it within an hour. Thank you Antonio...btw...I will be there January 19 2013 please have my bed ready. lol
Sat on the beach several days really enjoyed that. Went for a little swim off the pier I took a banana from the breakfast buffet hehe. Fed the fish around me they were so pretty.
I really enjoyed all the natural wildlife it was so much fun to watch them and see how they behave in a natural environment. One iguana hissed at me which I thought was funny, I must have been on his sidewalk. I also got pooped on while walking over the bridge. Funny thing though I pushed my friends quickly over the bridge so no one got pooped on then I did. Bad Iguana.
The Packers were playing in a playoff game so Iberostar set my a big screen tv in the mexican dinning room so we could watch How nice. Thank You.
The swim up bar was so nice to meet people and really have a good time. Nicholas was so helpful always willing to try something new but he always remembered my regular drink.
The bar in the lobby serves capacinnos in the morning which are sooo good. Alberto, Jasper, Juan, and Mario were always willing to get me a drink and helpful with any questions I might ask. Alba and Nahima were the cocktail waitresses in the lobby and always smiling and helpful. The staff here that I have mentioned made this trip for me not just a vacation at a resort but it felt like home.
We met a couple from the states and hung out with them most of the week. Lucky for us she speeks fluent spanish. She rented a jeep for the six of us and took us on quite the tour of the island. We got a great tour of the Cozumel Fire Department because of her and really enjoyed some interesting and new things. Thank you Erika and Jim..
We tried all the restaurants and the buffets. I can always find something I like and was never hungry. oh there is some amazing coconut ice cream with pecans for toppings I found several days. yyyyuuuuummmmm
I got hugs from all the staff my last day and well wished for a safe trip and speedy return. Which I plan to do.
January here I come Cozumel.... Antonio you better be ready for crazy cowboy and his girlfriend.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple