“Hated to leave”

Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
GreenLeadersGold level
Orwigsburg. PA
Reviewed August 3, 2003

My husband and I; along with our 14 year old daughter just returned from the Iberostar on Aug. 2 , 2003. From the time we checked in 1 week earlier ( greeted with tropical drinks ) it was nothing but a very wonderrful experience. MY daughter and I just really hung by the pool daily while my husband went diving twice daily.** he chose the dive shop on the resort DRESSEL. He said they were fantastic!!! The entertainment staff Natalie, Nicholas, Ed, Janet , Pablo and the others do an excellent job!! (try working their hours-- 10:30 am to 2:00 am 6 days a week).The other staff are always greeting you with a friendly hello. My husband and I really enjoyed the buffets, as far as our daughter like I had mentioned before she is 14 do I really need to say anymore! I would not hesitate to go back or try any other Iberostar at another destination.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Littleton, Co
Reviewed July 31, 2003

My wife, two boys (12 & 15) and myself just returned from a very relaxing and fun vacation at the Iberostar, Cozumel (July 21-28). I haven't been back to Cozumel in 17 years (since my honeymoon at the La Ceiba) and the Iberostar was perfect. It has a "jungle like" atmosphere, with narrow paths winding throughout the grounds (not wall to wall concrete like many of the highrise hotels).The weather was perfect (humid), the rooms were a little small, but very comfortable (we had connecting rooms on the second floor in the 8900 building) and our AC worked great. I can't say enough about how great the staff was to all of us. They treated my kids like kings, and were very attentative to all our needs (a few well placed tips at the begining of the stay probably did hurt any). The two specialty restaurants (Steak and Mexican food) were very good, and the overall buffet was plentiful (my sons thought breakfast was the bomb. My younger son is now called "Mango" because he ate every peice of Mango fruit that was put out during our stay).My wife and I dove with the on-site dive shop and were treated like gold (Ramon and Robert were extremely good with my wife who hadn't dove in 17 years). The location of the Iberostar is perfect for the avid diver (located right in front of the Palancar reef), because it only takes a few minutes to get to any dive spot (5-15 minutes). My sons lived in the pool and thought the swim up bar was great (my older son especially liked the European influences that the resort offered. Very skimpy to topless girls out by the beach). Need I say more, the Iberostar was a perfect last minute getaway for my family. We will be returning very soon to have my two sons certified as divers.The one thing I have noticed about some of the reviews about the Iberostar Cozumel is that some people need to relax when vacationing and not let the little things bother them (a little rain through a thatched roof (normal), insects in the tropics (duh), attitude of the staff at the hotel (take a good look at yourself, and what your portraying). The people in Cozumel are laid back and don't want our fast paced life style in the US. Relax, unwind, enjoy!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 30, 2003

My husband and I took a last-minute anniversary trip to the Iberostar in late June, 2003 - we are not "world travelers" - and the opportunity to go was very special to us - because of our inexperience, we were both a bit hesitant. I knew exactly what I wanted out of the trip - I wanted romance for our anniversary, a true "jungle" experience, and the opportunity for my husband to dive. I cannot express how thrilled I was to get all three - at an A+ level. We were completely satisfied with the solitude of our little "jungle hut" - they were unique and so far removed from our normal life in the metroplex - they afforded us with all of the luxuries that we wanted and needed, but yet remained true to the jungle feeling that we sought. We were there when a tropical depression hit - we did have a few leaks on the 2nd floor - but guys, we were in a hut! You have to laugh at obstacles, and consider it all part of the adventure. The staff was remarkable at trying to ensure our happiness during the storm, and did all that they could to over-come the water. I cannot say enough about Gabriel in the dive shop. Neither of us had ever dove before, and I wasn't particularly interested in doing so. My husband talked me into taking the class, and Gabriel talked me in to actually DOING IT. I was terrified - very, very uncomfortable. He was so incredibly patient with me - from the classroom information, to the pool, and finally to the dive. He, by far, made our trip memorable. I heard some horror stories about resort dives, and how frightened people were because it moved so quickly.
Request Gabriel - you will be treated with the utmost respect and patience - and you will love your experience.

2  Thank kajnkween
Reviewed July 27, 2003

Our family of 5 ("kids" are 21, 19, 14) stayed at the Iberostar July 21-25 and had a nice vacation. I had requested a non smoking room on the south side of the resort near the beach and pool and, despite the reported thatch roof problems, upstairs rooms. When we checked in we were assigned 7201 and 7202 and were told that they were not upstairs rooms but the only other rooms available were the dreaded rooms near the tennis courts. I was thrilled to discover that our rooms were in a bungalow unit, one story, so we got the thatch roof we wanted and our rooms were very convenient to the pool and beach. Unfortunately, we did have a couple of geckos (completely harmless but a little unnerving) in our room one night and one evening it rained hard and our roof leaked a little. Overall, though, these problems were insignificant and we enjoyed our rooms. The air conditioning got really cold at night, which felt good on our sunburned skin. We were a little disappointed in the beach because last summer we stayed at Barcelo Maya in Playa and the beach is nothing like that. Except for a few choice locations, the palapas and beach chairs didn't have a good view of the water, unless you chose one directly in the sun right next to the ocean. The food was good and plentiful. Everything was very clean and the resort is in a beautiful setting. The best thing about the Iberostar, though, is the staff. They were all wonderful, looking you in the eye and smiling with a friendly hola. We rented a Explorer at the resort and drove around the island and the east side is very beautiful - we wished we had more time to swim there. After seeing the other resorts we were glad we chose the Iberostar, much better than the concrete high-rise boxes in town. In fact, from what we saw, this is the best resort in Cozumel. We would definately stay at the Iberostar again, but I would ask for a downstairs room next time. And, as someone already said, room selection at this resort is very important. Be sure to request the south side!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rio Vista Texas
Reviewed July 26, 2003

I just returned from a 3-day stay at the Iberostar in Cozumel on July 26th. I read the reviews for the hotel on this site before my trip but ignored all the bad ones thinking only positive thoughts. However after several things I read really were true I had to try and warn other people to choose a different hotel. The rooms are very nice but only a couple have ocean views. There were tree frogs in my room everyday, try and stepping on one of them in the middle of the night ugggh !! The rooms do have small refrigerators in them as stated, but they are only filled every other day. 2 waters, 2 cokes, 2 seltzer water and 2 beers. The air is on a motion senser as several people said, if you don't move it dosen't come on. The second day, our first morning there we were awakened by the maids laughing and chatting outside our room. The maid service is from 8:00 am to 4:00pm. We were out of our room all day and at 2:45 I went back to the room for a nap, it wasn't clean. I laid down and at about 3:15 the maid called and said she would be there in 1 hour, I got up and left the room and came back at 5:00, not clean. The maid never came back that day. The next day we were awakened again by the maids. We left the room and came back at 3:45, the rom was not cleaned. I called the front desk and told them the problem and they said they would send her right over. She came 45 minutes later and cleaned. She also stocked the refrigerator for us then kindly turned it off !! Now for the food. It was better than some places but the buffet and the snack bar do not have food at the times they show to be open. There is supposed to be food available at the buffet 24hrs as shown on the information sheet we were given. There was not. I could go on but check out the information in person, all things in print are not true. The snorkeling equipment is available for 1 hour per person per day, no more. I will be happy to answer e-mails but keep in mind these are my experiences and you may not like what I have to say. Just think twice before booking this hotel .

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chiicago, IL
Reviewed July 24, 2003

We stayed at the Iberostar in the summer of 2001. We were treated horribly by the staff. Upon arrival, the air conditioning in our room did not work, nor were there any toiletries. When we called the fornt desk to inform them of our troubles, we were told to come back to the desk to wait until someone could bring us the necessary accessories. In town one night, the wristband was cauing my husband great irritation. He removed the wristband and unfortunatley he lost it before the end of the night. We returned to the Iberostar at 11:30 p.m. and they did not wat to grant him access to the grounds because he lost the wristband. When we finnaly managed to get past the guards at the front gate we proceeded to the front desk to procur a new wristband for him. He was chastised for a very lenghty amount of time by the rude girl guarding the front desk on night duty. We asked for the night manager and told there was none on duty. Upon returning to our room we called the front desk and requested the night manager. He immediately came to the phone. (The rude girl obviously forgot our room number within ten minutes.) He did apologize but did NOT offer any form of compensation for her rude behavior. The personnel in the dive shop treated us no better than the girl at the front desk. They repeated canecelled a night dive to a particular location. They informed us that if we wanted to go on that night dive, it was up to us to find enough divers to fill a boat. (I'm on my vacation doing their job!) We found eight other divers for that dive. Once again, thirty minutes before the divers were to meet at the pier, they cancelled that dive. The next morning at breakfast, an incredibly rude young man from the dive shop was complaining that we were coausing HIM difficulty, we were rude, etc...... He made sure everyone knew who he was talking about. Once again when we asked for compensation for our troubles, we were ignored with the exception of an apology from the dive shop manager. The rooms had bugs. The food was some of the worst food I have ever eaten. We ate at their specialty steak restaruant twice. Both times I became extremley ill having to spend most of the next day in bed. Vacationers from the states and Mexico were treated like second class citizens. However, if you were from Europe, the could not do enough for you. One evening we sat at dinner waiting for our water glasses to be refilled. The couple next to us was German, the waitress acted as if they were to only couple dining. She repeatedly filled their water glasses. If we asked her for water, she loked at us and walked away. Iberostar was the biggest waste of money I have ever spent on anything and would never go back to a place that treats people so rudely.Sally Brown

Reviewed July 20, 2003

I spent months planning a vacation for my wife and daughter for their birthdays. I read everything I could find on Cozumel and the resorts there. Based on reviews in this site and others, as well as advice from a travel agent, I choose the Iberostar. I wanted everything to be perfect for them, so I was a little concerned about some of the things I read from a few travelers (bland food, hard beds, bugs, lack of service, leaking roofs, etc. ) Since the negative reviews were few and far between, I chalked it up to hard to please people. My wife and daughter stayed at the Iberostar June 16-20, 2003 and were absolutely thrilled with it. They were treated exceptionally by the staff and wanted for nothing. 4 weeks later, my oldest daughter went to the Iberostar with a friend for a week and was also very impressed. The only negative thing my wife found was that their upper room roof did leak one night. It was so minor that it was not worth worrying about. The manager offered to move them to another room, but they declined. As for the other concerns, they are not big eaters but found the food to be very good with lots of variety; They partied in town enough that I don't think they really noticed or cared if the bed was hard or soft; not a single bug to be found; and as I said, the service was impressive.
My wife and I have stayed in all-inclusives in the Bahamas before, but never Mexico. From the stories they recalled and the photos they brought back, the Iberostar was truely a beautiful resort, much nicer than the Bahamas.
I picked up lots of good tips from reviewers, which were helpful: Tip the bartender on the second day, after he knows you. $10 will get you great service and top shelf stuff the rest of the time. $5 handed to the cleaning lady will ensure a well stocked minibar and enough towels. The biggest thing...treat the staff with a little respect and courtesy and it will be returned 10 fold.
All three took the Pirate Cruise and said it was fantastic, lots of fun. Make sure to rent a car one day (in town) and see the whole island, well worth the $55. They all found the best place in town to be Senior Frogs. Don't waste time with the ruins on the island, they are not much. If you want to spend the time and money for that, go over to Talum one day.
The Iberostar was 2 for 2 with my family. I am already planning another trip with my wife later this year.

5  Thank Mark292