“More than just diving” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alex Scuba

Alex Scuba
More attraction details
Owner description: SCUBA Diving in Cozumel has become more a business than an adventure. Alex Scuba goes back to the basics, rescuing the true spirit of diving and helping every diver experience the excitement of exploring Cozumel’s underwater world. Alex Scuba delivers a great experience with their patient, friendly staff, an easy-going, laid-back atmosphere at every stage of your diving trip/SCUBA course AND their sincere desire to make your diving experience the highlight of your vacation!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Denver, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“More than just diving”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Alex is the type of guy you just wanna dive with and hang out with.

Lets start with diving. Alex responds immediately after each email and is happy to help. If you are not staying with Alex and diving multiple days it is needed to have email or have the ability to call to stay in touch for details on the days diving as it changes depending on who is on the boat.

The boat is great and so it the crew. It is a bigger boat, a little slower but for us that was great because on cold days and we had a few cooler days with higher seas you could hunker down on the lower deck and stay warm. On the beautiful sunny days we could sit up with the captain and soak in the sun. There is even a toilet up front in the bellie of the boat. The diving was great we only went to dive sites that other people are not diving. We rented gear and it was in great condition. When I had a problem with my gauge it was fixed immediately and Alex helped me to learn how to problem shoot an air leek in my BCD. We would be out diving from 9-3, there is fresh fruit but we also brought other snacks.

The diving was great and diverse. Each dive we did was different from another dive. The reef is very alive and the water clarity was wonderful.

The boat was safe and service great. I am use to setting up my own gear and transferring tanks but the staff on the boat was on top of it before I could even think about my gear it was ready for the next dive.

After diving Alex took us out for great drinks and food. You can tell diving is a lifestyle for Alex and he is there to show you what a great lifestyle it is and you will never want to leave.

Lawrence, Kansas
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“nice dive with good folks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

I was coming in from a Carnival cruise ship and we didn't get into port until 9:00 so many of the dive shops have already left by the time I would have been able to get there. I hate diving through the cruise ship as many of the divers from the ship don't have much dive experience and the dive operators tend to run more of a 'cattle boat" than I prefer. So anyway, checked through trip advisor on what shops have good reviews and sent several emails on if anyone could accomodate my time in port. Alex got back to me right away and his communication via email was excellent. I have done this several times and knew that he could not pick me up at the ship but have always been able to work out a place to meet. We decided that a 9:30 meeting time would work for us both and we were able to work out a place to meet at a pier he uses. So all set!
I got off the cruise ship and took a taxi to the designated meeting spot and he was there waiting for me along with his very nice boat and crew. The boat was a nice size for diving a small group in Cozumel. Bigger than many of the small six pack type boats that you get in Cozumel that can be pretty rough when there are waves. I was impressed that even as the owner, he was one of the folks actually on the dive and leading some of the divers. I was put in the other group of 5 of us. Got a couple of nice, relaxing dives in with about 60 minutes each (my dive times could have been just a bit longer since I tend to have excellent air consumption and I was still within my no deco limits) but I don't complain if I get an hour under water.
They really didn't do much of a dive briefing on how to get on and off the boat and what we could expect to see, but I think everyone on the boat was fairly experienced divers so maybe they knew we didn't really need the briefing. But I was a bit surprised as each boat and shop has their own way of how they want divers to exit and get back on their boat so I try to to follow what they want. In this case I just hung back a bit after the first dive to see if my fellow divers removed their fins ect in getting back on the boat and just followed their lead.
They did have water available and some cut up cantelope available between dives.
All in all, a couple of nice dives with some nice folks. I would not hesitate to use them again next time I visit Cozumel.

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Definitely will come back to dive with Alex Scuba”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

As a solo diver, choosing an appropriate place and dive shop has been my headache. Alex provides both comfy accommodation and professional dive service which made my trip a pleasant and memorable experience.

Firstly about the dives. The dive boat is big enough for people to walk on it, take sunbath on the deck, during wavy days it is better than small boat because I don't feel seasick on this big boat. For the three days diving, I have never been to the same dive site twice, and every dive site has some surprise. Saw turtles, nurse shark, eagle rays(a lot), and amazing coral reefs and abundant other fishes. Bottom time is always at least 60 minutes(unless low in air), which makes the dives long enough to enjoy the view. Alex always guides or teaches by himself and pays attention to every detail. He knows the water condition in Cozumel, which is extremely important in a place full of drift diving. During the three days diving, no matter how many divers we have, we never lost any group member in the current.

Then the place to stay is Alex's own home, clean and has everything you need, even a fridge and coffee machine. I could sneak into his kitchen and steal something to eat. Before I came to Cozumel, I was worrying about what I can do after the dive. No need to worry about this at all, Alex took us to local restaurants and try all kinds of Mexican cuisine and drinks. My favorite part of the day is that Alex asked us what we want to eat for dinner, whatever we said, he always had the idea of where to go and we were always satisfied with the food. He would also like to pick up customers stay at other hotels and hang out together.

In all, I can tell that Alex Scuba doesn't treat diving as business, but as a way of living and making friends. I would definitely recommend it to other divers and come back again, because there are so many dive sites I haven't been to yet.

1 Thank Chu Z
Windsor, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

Just got back from doing my 4 open water dives for my certification, and 2 towards my Advanced. Alex, Raul and all the staff were awesome. They explained the dives well, the equipment was good, the dives locations were amazing and they were very patient and helpful to everyone on board. Very well organized and run operation. You can't go wrong diving with them no matter what level diver you are.

1 Thank groovemaster007
Gothenburg, Sweden
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Fantastic diving in cozumel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

Enjoyed every part of it. Well filled tanks, great equipment, and a lot of fishes, lobsters, turtles and even an eagle ray was spotted. Good refreshments between the dives.

Visited December 2013