“best way to spend vacation money!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Alex Scuba

Alex Scuba
More attraction details
Owner description: SCUBA Diving in Cozumel has become more a business than an adventure. Alex Scuba goes back to the basics, rescuing the true spirit of diving and helping every diver experience the excitement of exploring Cozumel’s underwater world. Alex Scuba delivers a great experience with their patient, friendly staff, an easy-going, laid-back atmosphere at every stage of your diving trip/SCUBA course AND their sincere desire to make your diving experience the highlight of your vacation!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“best way to spend vacation money!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

2/4/13

First and foremost, all of the great reviews you read about Alex and his guys are true. My decision to dive with him was based totally on Trip Advisor and it absolutely paid off.

I wanted to get my advanced certification and a friend of mine was interested in getting his open water certification. I contacted Alex and set up everything a week before I left. It was very easy getting to Alex's house and i was diving by 8am the next morning.

During my certification i dove with Alex, Raul, and Julian- they were all awesome, especially Raul. He is a zen master with more time under water than above. Seriously, I threw a lot of questions at Raul and he patiently answered all of them.

Look if you want to go diving somewhere beautiful book with Alex and just be satisfied with the fact that you are about to have an awesome experience. His prices are great and Cozumel has great diving- what else do you want?

Visited February 2013

Boston, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Excellent dive (C53) and dive master (Alex). Willing to work with cruiseboat guests.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

My Boyfriend and I dove the C53 with Alex on 1/25/13. It was an amazing dive. The C53 is a wreck that is penetrable (Note: This dive will be the most enjoyable for divers with very good buoyancy control). People have said the "life" on the C53 is not good, but I disagree, there has been significant growth on the wreck since the Hurricane in 2005.

Alex is awesome. He is a competent dive master and a very nice person. I felt very comfortable diving with him. Alex and his staff (driver, photographer and one deck hand) took very good care of us. They provided water, fresh squeezed fruit juice, cantaloupe and bananas. We rented regulators and the octopus was in good working condition. The air in our tanks was of good quality. The dive boat has a bathroom/head and offers protection from sun/weather. The boat also has a dive platform that allows for easy exit/entry.

We could only dive on the 25th, as we were on a NCL cruise. Alex only required a 20% deposit to hold our space. He worked with our limited scheduling flexibility and was very reassuring; responding quickly to my many emails. We met Alex at a nearby pier and he returned us to shore in time to enjoy some yummy food in Cozumel (Cafe Dennis) and to board our cruise in time for departure.

I highly recommend diving with Alex. Do not hesitate to book with him. You will not be disappointed.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank jfrey075
Richmond
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Incredible Dive Master”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We dove with Alex last August. I had meant to write this then but time got away from me. Our local dive shop (The Dive Shop) in Richmond, Va. recommended him. When they lead trips to Coz they always use Alex. I can see why. I'm a new diver and still not terribly confident. Alex was so patient and his guidance gave me the confidence to really enjoy the diving in this incredible place. He stayed with me the whole time and helped with every aspect that new divers need. I can't recommend him highly enough!

Visited February 2012
Roseville, California
“Best Scuba Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

My wife and I hadn't been diving in over 5 years and Alex made us feel completely comfortable being back in the water. He was an incredible dive master. He and all of his crew were friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. The prices were very reasonable and they even gave us fresh fruit, water, and juice before our first dive and between our dives. Alex is so relaxed and seemed to effortlessly spot everything around us. He even found a very well camouflaged octopus sleeping on a rock that I had swam right past. If you are going to dive in Cozumel I would never consider using anyone besides Alex.

Visited December 2012
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Diving !!!!!! DIVE WITH ALEX !!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were only in Cozumel for the day on a stop with a cruise. I didn't want to book with the cruise line excursions, not knowing who I would dive with. I found Alex online and emailed him after reading all the great reviews. He got back to me very fast ( other outfits answered me a week after emailing them). We exchanged multiple emails planning my dive with Alex always responding very quickly. Alex was very detail oriented making sure nothing got overlooked as we would be diving right after he picked us up and wouldn't have time to switch equipment ( we rented everything and he had it on his boat when he picked us up at the dock). The only issue was with the wetsuits. Alex brought a Women's small for my daughter based on the size I told him. It was a little big, she could have used an extra-small, but a very minor glitch. Better slightly too big, than too small. The rest of the equipment was fine.
There were 11 divers on the boat. Alex split us up into a group of 5 and 6, based on dive skills. My group of 5 was me (30 year diver), my son (30 dives) and my daughter (15 dives) and another father and son team who were novice divers. Our divemaster was Julien. He was very aware of the skill level of our group and led the dive appropriately. Before the dive, Julien went over the whole dive profile, explained what to expect, went over hand signals, checked our equipment and made sure we understood the dive. We all entered the water with a giant step entry off the back of the boat. I was last in the water. Julien gave us the signal to submerge. I was wearing a 7mm farmer john ( a little heavy for the water temp, but I opted for that as opposed to a 3mm shorty that Alex offered me also.) Normally, I use 12 lbs of weight in a 3/4mm full suit, so I figured with a farmer john, it would about balance out. I was totally off and couldn't submerge ( yes, my kids were laughing at me I found out after). Julien saw my problem right away and swam over to me and pulled out another 8 lbs of weight (not sure if they were his or he anticipated my problem) and slipped them into my bcd. Problem solved. I submerged and we proceeded on the dive. First dive was a drift dive on a wall. Julien pointed out numerous marine life; giant crabs, lobsters, morays and a few sea turtles; he led us through coral tunnels and was always aware of the divers in the group. We did a 3 minute safety stop and then surfaced with the boat picking us right up. The crew was on the ball, helping us into the boat and taking care of our equipment for our next dive. On the way to the next dive site, we stopped at a nice little beach for our surface interval. Alex served us fresh cut watermelon, bananas and fruit punch which was very refreshing. Our next dive was a shallower reef. Visibility wasn't as good as the first, but the wind and current had picked up later in the day. Still pretty darn good though. Julien was on the ball again and this time we saw an eagle ray and a nurse shark. This totally made our dive and my kids were thrilled.
We were the last to be dropped off out of all the divers and so had time to talk to Alex a little. I found Alex to be an educated, articulate person who was totally engaged in the conversation. We shared some great laughs and I left feeling I made a great connection rather than just diving with a dive boat operator. I highly recommend diving with Alex and we plan on spending a week diving with him on our next vacation !!! Thanks Alex !!!- ABE W FROM NJ

Visited January 2013