“Cheap place in Cozumel ”
Review of Hotel Posada Edem

Hotel Posada Edem
Ranked #19 of 25 Cozumel B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Cheap place in Cozumel ”
Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

This was the most inexpensive place we could find on the island. It's very basic, but it is cheap. It was a little bit run down, but generally clean and present. There we wires sticking out of the wall (obviously where a tv had been). Cold showers, but as I said, it's cheap!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 1, 2014

basic accommodation at a basic price. clean room, private bath, free wifi and, most importantly, scalding hot showers 24/7.
Friendly, helpful staff.
off street parking for your scooter.
Water in the lobby. Bring your own bottle.
Close to the square and ferry, but just far enough so it's quiet when you want quiet.
Secure (they lock the front door at 10p, but you get a code to get in).

Downside: those awful Mexican pillows. Gads, how I hate em. Small, squishy with no support whatsoever. The lights in the gangway are on motion sensors, so if you are sensitive to lights going on in the middle of the night outside your window when people come in late, beware. You're paying for no frills, and that's what you get: no frills. Clean sheets, towel and a new micro bar of soap every two days. If you're a diver (as I am)--there's no place to rinse or hang gear.

I had a room with no AC, which was OK, it being December, but it rained almost every day, which means my stuff never really dried out. Pretty damp, so if you have allergies, beware, or spring for the AC.

Room Tip: I didn't miss the AC. Ceiling fan was all I needed to keep cool.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Roy N
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel based on the reviews on here. Honestly, yes it's super cheap and yes you get what you pay for. I've been travelling all over the world for 25 years and this is one of the worst places I've ever stayed. As soon as they opened the door to the room my sinuses reacted and I began sneezing. There is so much mold here. I know it's a problem in these parts but this was bad. To add fuel to the fire, the door on the bathroom broke and I was locked inside this musty mouldy bathroom suffocating for 20 minutes. Unfortunately it's Christmastime, so there are no other rooms available in all of Cozumel.

Stayed December 2013
DONEDEM, Gerente at Hotel Posada Edem, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
I am truly sorry that you had such a bad experience, what if it comforts me is what are muchisisimas more positive opinions, only he commented that esamos in the Caribbean and the predominantly climna is tropical and extremely wet, and this year has been unusually very rainy, situation that has led us to moisture in some quarters and the same climate has prevented us from applying the respective maintenance, since even today continue the rains, so it comes to the bathroom door, just jam the latch of the veneer, situation that can happen anywhere and almost impossible to foresee, yet regret new account your bad experience.
We are working hard to our resources and climate the extent allowed to improve our facilities and so "give them the best service at the lowest possible price".
Vienna
Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

A simple accommodation for a good price. The staff is lovely - professional and courteous. Location is perfect, just off the noisy main tourist zone but still just a few blocks from the ferry terminal. A great bakery ("Zermatt") for breakfast is just around the corner.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Clean and secure (you get a code for the keypad on lobby door), Edem was very close to coast and nightlife. There are cats roaming about, and turtles in the "garden" area. Filtered water is provided in the lobby, as well as maps of the island. The staff isn't terribly helpful, but Edem is perfect for the traveler on a budget. Only warning: be careful with the outlets, they short easily.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this establishment two years in a row during our diving trips to Cozumel. Room is good value for people who are simply looking for a place to spend a few nights. The hosts are very straight forward, informative and nice. I loved watching the turtles swim around and built a little attachment to the cat who always followed me around. I love supporting small businesses than giving my money to those overpriced resorts and making the rich richer. I plan on staying here once again for my trip next year.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank JBasilio
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We recently stayed one night at the Hotel Posada Edem. Our flight came in too late to make the ferry to Playa. The owners and family here are absolutely delightful. We only payed 320 pesos for 3 adults. The room was very basic and in need of a fresh coat of paint. The bathroom was ok and the room in general was very clean. The room was quieter than we were expecting which was an added bonus.

The next day we decided to go to a beach club and asked if we could store our luggage until 4pm. The owner locked it up in a small room and we returned to pick it up and everything went well.

We would recommend staying here if you are on a tight budget. We felt it was very safe and the location was wonderful. Very central. No problems whatsoever. We would stay here again the next time we visit Cozumel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family