“Great condo in a great location with a great staff!”

El Cantil Condo Resort
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Stayed at El Cantil Dec 25-Dec 31, 2011 in Unit PHCS. Unit was well-appointed, clean, spacious with views of the pool and ocean. Breakfast at the rooftop La Prima restaurant was included, and we took advantage of that daily. Delicious and convenient! The staff was very helpful--Albert who helped us with our reservation; the concierge staff who arranged for scuba lessons, fishing and taxis; and the maids who tidied up daily.

El Cantil has a great location. One side faces the ocean--watch scuba divers board their boats or cruise ships come into dock. The other side lets right out on a main street, and you are within walking distance of the main part of town. A nice gym was a couple of blocks away and offered a very reasonable daily rate.

Would recommend El Cantil to anyone going to Cozumel!

1  Thank scooter824

Reviewed January 7, 2012

We went with a group of 20 family members. It was perfect! We could make drinks and food and bring them to the pool area or we could order them from the restaurant. Almost everything was within walking distance. We still had a cleaning service even though they are condos. The only negative was the loud holiday celebration concerts on the weekends from the plaza across the street. It wasn't that bad and ended around 11 or so. Still worth the stay!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I just got back from Coz, and liked this place enough to write a review! We stayed in unit 4B-S, a HUGE 3 bedroom. Prices are probably comparable to a hotel, and you get tons more room. Claudia gave us a thorough briefing when we checked in, so knew the do's and don'ts of the place, like turn the AC off if you want to keep the balcony doors open and get the fresh air. Beds were very firm--my family liked that. Daily maid service was great--they keep the place very clean, including loading and unloading the dishwasher. Staff there are all great, from the cleaning people to the security out front to the restaurant wait staff. Very helpful and friendly, and they remember you. There was always tons of hot water for showers for our group. Restaurant breakfast at Prima was included and was great--they have lots of choices so you don't get tired eating the same things. The view from the balcony is probably the best in Coz, so I recommend eating outside. Location of this condo is awesome: easy walking distance to the center of town, and the two best groceries in town, Mega and Chedraui, and both less than a block away. Pool area is great-we hung out down there every day, and people in the other units were very friendly. We had no issues with the hot tub on our balcony: we were able to make it as hot as we wanted, and a guy came every other day to check the chemical levels. We have a hot tub at home so I have an appreciation for clean water and would not get into it if it was dirty. (Note: I would NOT get into the hot tub down at the pool!) The only down side to El Cantil, if you can call it that, is the location. We were there over Christmas and New Years. The town's public plaza is right across the street, and every night there was music performances on a stage, a little carnival, food vendors, etc. A few people in our group who liked to go to bed early didn't like the noise, but I went over there every night and watched how the local townspeople celebrated the holiday. Those events were staged for the town residents, not the tourists. Very interesting!

Room Tip: South building is farther away from town square across the street, if you are there over a holiday a...
4  Thank andy d
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We had a very unique experience in dealing with this property. My husband and I have stayed at hotels and VRBO rentals around the world and have never had an issue. We originally had booked the penthouse in June of 2011 for a stay over Thanksgiving. I had emailed back and forth with the owner (thought I later found out it was not the owner, but a management company so beware of this) to confirm the details of our arrival. When I emailed to confirm everything about checking in one week before arriving, they said they did not have our reservation on file. I found an email saying they had found our fax confirming our stay, but they denied it and said they never sent me an official confirmation so they did not hold the condo for us. IMPORTANT NOTE to guests, this is more of a hotel then a condo the way they are run and do require a specialized confirmation in order to stay there. I am accustomed to dealing with owners who email me to tell me something is confirmed and it normally is all set at that point. The only caution I would give you is to make certain you get everything in writing.

The condo itself was lovely and was in the perfect location for the Ironman my husband was there to do. The only downside was we no longer received the penthouse since they were booked, but they were able to find us something on the 3rd floor which was nice, especially since it was the week before our vacation.

The beds were a little bit hard, but the view was spectacular. The staff was incredible and the location could not have been better. The pool was great too, as was the snorkeling out in front of the hotel.

The only other caution I would give is about the hot tub on the balcony. You are not allowed to turn it on to heat it up so it was more of a warm tub and was incredibly dirty.

The food upstairs at the restaurant was pretty good. We went there several times for dinner and breakfast. Stay away from the pancakes.

I would have given the hotel one star originally based on the disaster with our reservation, but I would now give them a solid 3.5 to 4 stars after staying there.

They are definitely not a 5 star, but they are very nice by Mexican standards.

*Bring your own toiletries. The hotel/condo does not provide anything other then soap.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank JenHillJHCCS
Reviewed December 6, 2011

We went with a large group of 14, mostly family. Reserved 2 4 br units located next to each other. Got there and learned that one of the units was sold just prior to us arriving, thus, couldn't be rented. Fortunately they found another 4 br unit, but it was in the building next door. I not smart but I pretty sure there is a business process that can solve this issue as I'm sure every other condo complex in the world has probably figured out by now. Anywho, not too bad of an issue so we'll move on. The best part of this place is the staff...from the door guys to the cleaning girls, and most importantly the restaurant staff (stich, hector, marcos and mateo). With 14 people unannounced in an empty restaurant, they managed to handle us as if we were a party of 2. Prima (the restaurant on location) has great food, although Americanized (see Martin at Casa Denis downtown for real food). The staff went above and beyond. The owner, not so much. Tip well. You'd be surprised by how little they get paid. As for the rest of the condo...amazing views, good piers for jumping into the ocean, good pool, good everything...except, the residents that live there or visiting that own units. You would think, living in a paradise like Cozumel, you'd have to be relaxed, easy going person. Apparently not at El Cantil. These people are stuck up snobs. They have a policy of no hanging towels from the balcony railing. Seems stupid at first but it does make sense. It looks tacky and the towels can fall to the ground easily from wind. They didn't have any signs posting this policy in our rooms and one of our guests hung their towel on the railing. I was down at the pool, and within minutes, I hear a small group of women in the 40s maybe, yelling up to the balcony "excuse me!, no towels on the balcony!"...someone immediately took them down, but I they continue to complain amongst them selves for an hour afterwards. Then a few days later, another one of us, spilled a glass of wine on the balcony...there was a hose right there, so she sprayed it with water. As a result a little bit of water sprayed down from the balcony and onto the pool area. Got the same group a little wet. We appoligized. Makes sense why not to hose down the balcony but they should really put up a sign and maybe don't put a hose right there. The issue was that these people (residents) kept complaining about this one mistake for days afterward while at the pool. Not cool. Then they complained that a sliding door to one of our balcony was open, thus letting AC escape. They didn't know that we had turned off the AC. Anyway, annoying residents. Tis all.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank Remy L
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Our one-week stay in unit 4B-S was fantastic. El Cantil is not only centrally located and convenient to the centre of town, the 3 bedroom unit was well-appointed and extremely spacious. The concierge service and housekeeping is fabulous, and the units have all the conveniences that you would expect from a luxury condo.

Our condo was well-furnished and decorated, with comfortable linens (the units are owned individually and managed by El Cantil, so each condo is different). We had ample closet space and storage space, and it is fantastic to have a full kitchen with purified water. The supermarket is super convenient, right across the street! The AC in the units works well, and ceiling fans keep the air moving. The patio was wonderful to sit on as well with a gorgeous oceanfront view, and the pool area was great (although there is really no beach to speak of). The upkeep of both the units and the pool area is fantastic - spotless clean.

The hotel next door got loud at times during the evening (not El Cantil's fault) and it would have been nice to have in-suite laundry facilities as Cozumel is extremely humid and your clothes tend to get damp.

Security is fantastic.

This was the perfect accommodation for our stay - we enjoyed the independence of being able to cook our meals, the wonderful location and the spacious amenities. Definitely better than a hotel room! Value for money, this is a gem.

Reviewed November 23, 2011

This is my 4th year staying in 7 J Norte, a 4 bedroom with magnificent views. Spacious, about 3000 sqft. Best location, between two supermarkets and a short walk to downtown. Dive shops pick up at the Condo dock and lockers to store dive gear. We are already booked for next year. Restaraunt Prima upstairs is a bonus!

Room Tip: 2 towers to choose from, study the website and ask questions to figure out the best fit for your nee...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends