“Excellent dive experience, exceeded expectations again” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of BLUE Project - Dive Shop

BLUE Project - Dive Shop
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: BLUEProject - valet diving is a small dive operation providing you a personalized dive service (multi-level, computer dive) and private instructions. Our small (max 8 divers), fast boat, the Odysea, is fully equipped with safety equipment and bring you quickly to your dive location. During the trip, we provide you towels, purified water, juice, fresh fruits and pastries. Before and during the surface intervals, on a beach or pier, we prepare your equipment and change the tanks. After the dives, we rinse and store your equipment for you. Stay relax, bring your smile, we take care of everything else! BLUEProject - valet diving is an environmentally conscious company.
Bronxville, New York, USA
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Excellent dive experience, exceeded expectations again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is my third dive trip with Blue Project. So far I have gone out with them each year for the past three (3) years that I have traveled to Cozumel. (see my earlier review, February 2011) I remain very pleased with Blue Project. As was the case for the two prior trips, Paco and Blanca met us the day we arrived to take care of the paperwork. They are really very flexible about this. We have met them at our condo or at a local bar. Taking care of the paper work is completely effortless. I really appreciate that they go out of their way to come to us and take care of it. Additionally, I have been able to do everything that needs to be done prior to the various trips by email with no issues. As has been the case in the past, everything was exactly as they had represented on the phone and by email when we first contacted them prior to our trip.

For our first trip we were two divers. Last year I brought six. This year we were three. In every case we found that they paid good attention to everyone. I like the fact that their boat will pick us up at the pier steps from our door. We have been staying at Residencies Reef and the hotel next door has a small pier. (BTW, a very nice condo complex if you are looking for a place to stay that is literally on the beach) We have been a mix of very experienced and relatively inexperienced divers. Last year I brought my sister, who is not a very experienced diver, along for a week of diving. The trip was her second open water outing. I had arraigned in advance for Blanca to spend one dive focused just on her. After the dive my sister was comfortable being one of the larger group and had a great time for the week. The personal attention really helped her overcome any concerns that she had about diving in the open ocean and trying things like drift diving for the first time.

The boats in Cozumel are all similar, they are either small (6-8 divers) or large (12+ divers). Different people will like different types of boats. I like the small boats because you won’t have too many people in the water in the same area at the same time. Blue Project makes use of the small boats. They provide some nice snacks with a selection of fresh fruit, local pastry, water and fruit juice. Cozumel is a very popular dive location. At peak times the Cozumel reefs can have quite a few divers on them. There are countless independent dive operations there. I guess this is one of the downsides of such high quality diving being so accessible to tourists like us. The individual dive operators seem to get along and respect each other’s space. Blanca was very good about guiding us along the reef and avoiding overlap with other groups.

The place where Blue Project shines is when Blanca is pointing things out on the reef. She knows the reefs and the specific dive spots really well. She has a genuine enthusiasm for marine life. And she is very good at pointing out some things that you would normally not notice. You will be impressed when she pulls out a magnifying glass to show you some interesting marine animal on a coral head or some tiny juvenile drum fish in an alcove on the reef. Some of these juvenile fish are tiny, about the size of a big mosquito. How she spots them I just don’t know. The last day of this trip it seemed like it was turtle city on the reef. In the span of one hour we saw, up close, seven huge turtles. Some of the biggest turtles I have ever seen. I have been diving on the Cozumel reefs for three years and this was the best turtle experience ever. To tell the truth after seeing three or four you are like: what another one? But some were so impressive that you just had to watch them. We saw more than enough lobster, crab, moray, grouper, sharks, etc, etc. I am a fan of sea anemones and I saw my share of them this trip.

One of the things that I like about places like Cozumel is that you can maximize bottom time. I have done my share of deep diving but deep diving is absolutely not necessary here. There are plenty of interesting things to be seen between 40-60 feet. That means that we can do dives with a minimum duration of 60 minutes. We love our bottom time. This year we did four days of diving and I don’t think a single dive was less than 60 minutes. Our longest dive was 75 minutes. We easily spent more than 8 hours underwater. If you can manage your breathing during the dive and not be an air hog she will show you incredible stuff that will fill the entire dive. (I will admit that on the second dive of the day by the time that I get to 50+ minutes even I get a bit cold!)

I have been diving for years all over the world. At this point there is not much left to impress me. Ok, the seven turtles in one day were impressive. And one of these days seeing a whale shark would be nice. Currently I am on the lookout for octopuses and seahorses. I have seen both in the past but have a tough time finding them on my own. I told Blanca that I wanted to see octopuses. Blanca took the time to show me how to find octopuses on one of our dives. By the time that the dive was over I found three “octopuses gardens under the sea” on my own. There is a simple trick to it. Once I learned it I was surprised how easy it was to find them. You need to know what to look for. Ask her. She will show you. With respect to seahorses she tried hard but did not find any. I have seen them before and know that they are pretty tough to spot. Next time.

In summary, we had an excellent trip and gladly recommend Blue Project to our friends. And we have done so in the past. If you want to have an excellent dive experience you will not be disappointed. Be sure and speak up. Tell her what you are looking for and she will do her best to find it for you. She tries hard.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank sport10010

New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Another great week of diving with Blanca”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Blanca is the best on the island at finding all of the little (and big) critters you would never find yourself.

Winnipeg, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Blue Project went well beyond our expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We have just returned from Cozumel and our 1st ocean diving experiences. To say it was the greatest experience of a life time is an understatement! Blanca and Paco are fun and professional. My husband choose Blue Project after researching many dive shops largely because of what other divers had to say on trip advisor. I am a new diver and was nervous about the ocean and drift diving. We choose to pay a little extra to have Blanca as our private dive master on my 1st couple of dives and it was worth every penny! When she was doing this she has other very professional friendly dive masters join the boat so that my newbie needs did not hinder the enjoyment of the other more experienced divers. We met some really great people diving with her as she attracts quality people. Blue project is all about safe professional, fun diving and personalized service to the needs of all her clients. She helped me grow as a diver and was a joy to get to know as a person. Thank you Blanca and Paco you are one of Cozumel's hidden treasures! We will spread the word and we will be back to see you!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Deanna-Michael B
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Amazing Cozumel dive shop!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I recently did 7 dives with Blue Project and would highly recommend them! I have been diving for 5 years but tend to do only 2-3 dives per trip.

Diving with Blanca made me want to do as many as possible during my week in Cozumel … I would have done more but the port was closed one day due to the winds.

I normally like to check out the dive shops before booking with them but after meeting with Blanca and Paco at my hotel the night before my first dive, I was convinced by their professionalism and friendliness. My first impression was so dead on!

I was completely comfortable diving with Blanca as she took the briefings very seriously and handled all of the equipment. However, what made the dives so memorable was being underwater with her. She has an unbelievable enthusiasm for everything there is to see underwater, from the huge eagle rays to the tiniest creatures that she catches with her microscope. She has such an unbelievable eye for catching things that I was able to see so many things for the first time. As everyone else has said, she also lets everyone
dive for as long as they have air which is great!

There are so many dive shop operations in Cozumel but I know who I will be diving with next time I'm there!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank TOtravellover
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Always wonderful to dive with Blanca!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

This is my second exclusive dive vacation with Blue Project and they have set a very high standard for the rest!
This trip I brought a beginner along to benefit from the calm and professional instruction and enthusiasm for all things under water and above that Blanca brings to the dive experience and my friend was almost pound for pound on air when we finished our five days!
The boats are fast and comfortable and the site choices are appropriate to the day and divers... The weather was changing while we there and the rapidly changing currents a challenge under and above.
Paco handles the administration promptly and without mystery, all costs and limitations are up front. No waiting days for a response here!
Paco and Blanca meet with you and handle all paperwork and gear fittings before you dive so it is just quality boat time from Caletas on dive day. You do need to get yourselves to the marina at Caletas unless you are staying at one of the hotels along Palancar Reef. This was $7 from our hotel.
If you want to see all of the babies and smaller wonders of the reef while watching for the grand eagle rays or turtles in the distance, and they are not already fully booked up, this is your dive company!
Say hi to Blanca and the toad fish from me! I will return when I can!