“Good but be aware of the fine print”
Review of Blue Angel Resort

Blue Angel Resort
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed January 20, 2011

We wish we had enjoyed our experience at this well-regarded dive resort along with everyone else but our stay here was marred by a few points which may or may not have been the sole responsibility of this resort:

- There are hidden charges everywhere. Surcharges were applicable for "fresh" orange juice at breakfast, fresh coffee in the restaurant (and not the lobby) and all dive gear used. We were exhausted from having to ask about the cost for everything and we paid the price when we were presented with our bill at check out.

- Tips are everything here. It is a shock to non-US visitors that everyone on staff requires a gratuity for any service. The staff here seems to be used to generous US tourists tipping 15% or more regardless of their service level. My 10% tip to the boat/dive staff on the 1st day means little or no service on the next dive day. We were also made to felt that we had to tip the staff during the breakfasts and lunches that were fully included with our package. We're all for giving a little extra while on holiday but we were not impressed with the way we were treated on the boat or at the restaurant.

- Service was surly, perhaps related to the above point. It took too many emails with Jeanie to get a confirmation and we ended up calling the hotel in the end to get a booking form for our stay. The dive shop manager seemed quite distracted and didn't really go out of his way to introduce us to the various dive spots available on the island. It is advisable to not rely on the shop here and to instead read up online on Scubaboard before to make sure you don't miss out on the best sites.

The hotel itself was a gem. Great ocean rooms, nice food and quiet pool to snooze pre-happy hour. The traffic noise is bearable if you close your doors. It is a long 25-30 min walk into downtown - comfortable footwear is advisable.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Traminer
There are newer reviews for Blue Angel Resort

Reviewed January 4, 2011

For divers you have everything you need, very good access to the sea, from the shore or by boat, 1st class staff, clean air and excellent food.
From out first night we knew we had picked the right place, if I had a problem it was sorted by one of the staff, we were looked after like family and treated like friends.
Cold water fountains on every level, coffee on all day.
The place is so relaxed and professional, and has WIFI.
We were also taken to the other side of the island to help to dig out the turtle nests, and to release the young that had been saved, an amazing sight that will live with me for ever.
It is a short walk from the main town, with a couple of small bars either side if you fancy a change.
My only regret was that I could not stay for longer, but I do hope to return in the next couple of years.
If like relaxed, fun and very good diving you will love Blue Angel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Most of my vacations are SCUBA diving vacations. I have been diving in the Caribbean for the last 13 years and absolutely love diving in Cozumel. It is truly one of the best dive spots in the world. I have visited the island over half a dozen times and stayed at the Blue Angel the last 3. The Blue Angel was introduced to me by a dive buddy as a: “Quaint little dive hotel with everything for people who love SCUBA diving.” And it is exactly that. It is not fancy but it is very comfortable and clean. As anyone who has been to Cozumel knows it can be difficult to find a good restaurant. The Blue Angel serves some of the best food on the island (I am really not kidding) in a little open air establishment located just above the dive shop (be sure to have Sergio wait on you).The hotel staff is amazing. Eva and Robert (the owners) could not be more accommodating. On our last trip my wife and I had dinner with Eva taste testing some of the new dishes for their menu. You have to try Eva’s lasagna (again, I am not kidding). Jenny, an expat from St Louis, handles all the reservations and scheduling is awesome as well as her husband Mike who does odd jobs around the hotel (Are the new dunk tanks finished yet Mike?) The dive staff is incredible and perfect for beginners as well as experienced divers. Pony (the guy who schedules the dives) knows you by name after your first day. He was very good about making sure we always went in boats with other divers with similar experience (this is priceless to me). The Dive Masters were very professional and treated our group as any group of seasoned divers would want to be treated. You will not be disappointed if you find yourself on a dive boat with Jorge as your Dive Master. And then there is Chicago Matt or “Mateo” as he is called now, the ex-electrician turned “Dive Instructor Extraordinaire”. I dove with him on all 3 of my stays at the Blue Angel and He has trained 4 of my closest friends to the “Advanced” level of PADI certification. He specializes in cave diving and has taken our group diving in the “Cenotes” on the mainland (a very unique day trip not to be missed) I highly recommend his services to anyone interested in any level of SCUBA certification. On our “day off” from diving he and Mike took our little dive group on a boat trip to the remote northern beaches of Cozumel on an exploratory mission to develop a fun option for divers like us that tend to want to take a little time to go exploring on vacation.

And did I mention the diversity of sea creatures you will find right off the beach on a night dive?

I have never seen more octopus in one spot.

I have other places in the Caribbean I love to dive but the Blue Angel is now the only place I will stay in Cozumel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2011

While situated on a busy street an easy walk from town, the rooms open over the ocean and have a lovely clean, airy feel with the smell of salt water. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The food at the restaurant was fresh and original - I definitely preferred it over what I found in town. I was travelling by myself on this occasion and felt completely comfortable. If I ever took up diving, I would come back here.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank Ontario_Harry
Reviewed December 19, 2010

I'm terribly conflicted about our stay. We had a great time diving, the staff was nice (local servers, but Canadian and U.S. ex-pats managing things), the rooms clean and the food good. They even offer yoga and massage sessions.

However, the resort is squeezed between the main coastal road and the ocean. The drone of traffic can generally be tolerable. However, there are two speed bumps right in front of the hotel. Every truck and motor scooter decelerates and accelerates right outside your room (each room goes all the way through the building from street to pool/ocean terrace). At night, you'd love to have the sliding glass door open and listen to the murmur of the waves in your dreams. Instead, you're forced to close the doors and turn on the A/C to tame the traffic noise. Maybe staying on the fourth floor at the south end would be slightly better (401-403).

However, if you are a sound sleeper, this is great little place. I think we paid ~$100/night for the room, breakfasts, lunches and five days of diving. It's a half-hour stroll from downtown (well away from the cruise ship noise) and has a cluster of restaurants only 5 minutes in the other direction. There's no beach, but there is a nice terrace with palapas and lounges. We didn't use the scooters or kayaks, but they were available. The restaurant sits on a deck above the ocean with a killer sunset view. The local cuisine is pretty decent and they offer quite a few gringo dishes as well.

For diving, they have their own dock and operate several fast boats for 6-8 divers. You leave at 8AM to beat the cattle boats to the southern dive sites. It's cool to miss the crowds and have both dives done by lunch. However, you do miss out on some of the light and color that a later dive offers (particularly in the winter season). The divemasters (especially Jorge) offer minimal briefings with very little in-water attention. If you're a newbie or a little safety paranoid or expecting a guided tour of critters, this is not the operation for you. If you love the freedom to explore at your own pace without being herded along or forced to adhere to a rigid depth/time protocol, then look no farther.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Peregrin8or
Reviewed December 7, 2010

I have been coming to the Caribe Blu, [formerly Lorena] for over 10 years.
This time I met the new owner, Evie, who was charming, friendly, and obviously concerned with making her guests comfortable.
The grounds have been vastly improved by adding new walkways, extending the size of the restaurant, as well as the menu; developing the lobby, and adding outside tables to the rooms porches.
The dive shop, blue angel, still has Jorge, Matteo, and Pony as the best dive masters on Cozumel. They have improved their dives by now offering refreshments such as muffins and fruit. The professionalism is apparent, and the attitude of all the employees is pleasant and helpful at all times.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank osohub
Reviewed December 5, 2010

On my last trip to Cozumel I had the pleasure of spending some time at the Blue Angel Resort. What a wonderful place! My family spent several days there. We enjoyed their pool, and restaurant. The food there is wonderful. Some of the best I have had on the Island! You can sit by the pool for your meal or sit in the restaurant itself and watch the ocean. Beautiful. The people there are very courteous and helpful. Sunsets are Fabulous!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family