We wish we had enjoyed our experience at this well-regarded dive resort along with everyone else but our stay here was marred by a few points which may or may not have been the sole responsibility of this resort:
- There are hidden charges everywhere. Surcharges were applicable for "fresh" orange juice at breakfast, fresh coffee in the restaurant (and not the lobby) and all dive gear used. We were exhausted from having to ask about the cost for everything and we paid the price when we were presented with our bill at check out.
- Tips are everything here. It is a shock to non-US visitors that everyone on staff requires a gratuity for any service. The staff here seems to be used to generous US tourists tipping 15% or more regardless of their service level. My 10% tip to the boat/dive staff on the 1st day means little or no service on the next dive day. We were also made to felt that we had to tip the staff during the breakfasts and lunches that were fully included with our package. We're all for giving a little extra while on holiday but we were not impressed with the way we were treated on the boat or at the restaurant.
- Service was surly, perhaps related to the above point. It took too many emails with Jeanie to get a confirmation and we ended up calling the hotel in the end to get a booking form for our stay. The dive shop manager seemed quite distracted and didn't really go out of his way to introduce us to the various dive spots available on the island. It is advisable to not rely on the shop here and to instead read up online on Scubaboard before to make sure you don't miss out on the best sites.
The hotel itself was a gem. Great ocean rooms, nice food and quiet pool to snooze pre-happy hour. The traffic noise is bearable if you close your doors. It is a long 25-30 min walk into downtown - comfortable footwear is advisable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All oceanfront rooms, each with patio or private balcony for you to enjoy the beautiful sunsets or you can relax under the palapas on the ocean or around the fresh water pool. Friendly/helpful staff - on-site restaurant where food is freshly prepared and you can get a quick snack or full meal - on-site full service dive shop. This is a smaller, more intimate hotel. The staff will know your name, and you will know theirs after a few days. We like it this way and we will never change that. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your Blue Angel Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Angel Hotel Cozumel