WINNER WONDERLAND

“Great place to stay for diving in Cozumel.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Angel Resort

Blue Angel Resort
Ranked #10 of 50 Hotels in Cozumel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Finnish first
Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2009

My buddy and I stayed at the Blue Angel Resort in Cozumel, Mexico Dec 4-11. For the last 5 years or so it has been called the Caribe Blu. It is located on the oceanfront between the two cruise ship piers and right next to the lighthouse. I've been staying there for the last 6 years and the owners continue to improve and develop the resort. I noticed a new matress and AC unit in my room this time. The rooms are quite roomy and clean. I also received free laundry service, but tipped nicely. While this is not a 5 star resort in most people's view, it certainly is in mine. Room service is available from the attached restaurant-Rendez-Blu if desired. I noticed numerous new plants/foilage, new pool lounges, new lighting, new concrete walkways and new dressing rooms this trip. They also have a resident pet turtle who wanders the grounds. The shore diving is free and there is much to see, eels, lobsters, rays, balloon fish, coral shrimp, squid, octopus etc. The attached Dive Shop again provided outstanding service to me and the divers I dove with. Of particular note, Jorge, one of the divemasters, has to be one of the best on the island. If you are looking for a particular fish or creature, he can find it for you. I feel honored to have been able to dive with him over the years. I see him take extra time with newer divers if needed. The dive shop boats are small fast boats which means a short ride to the dive site. I like! The staff lets you dive your own profile and pick out which site you wish to dive. Try getting that kind of service at other places.
The food at the attached restaurant was excellent. The fish dishes I had were fresh and better than anything I've had at Red Lobster. The steaks I had were also better than Applebee's/Ruby Tuesdays. Mmmmm.
This resort is a divers dream. For shore dives/snorkling, you can gear up on the deck at the dive shop, then walk 20 feet to the ocean. For boat divers, the boats pick you up at the resort pier. I can't really think of anything that I wanted for.
I give the Blue Angel resort a 10/10.
I will post some photos next week.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank DBriscoe226
Litchfield Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2009

Late Trip Report July 25--August 8, 2009

First of all, we've stayed at this hotel multiple times in the past, even when it was Lorena. This is the BEST this hotel has ever looked!

THE STAFF: There seems to be a new pride in every employee, both familiar faces and new. The front desk manager Andrea, goes above and beyond the call of duty; her communications skills and willingness to be helpful were observed daily.

CLEANLINESS: The rooms, bathrooms, lobby, pool deck & restaurant are kept spotless.

THE GARDEN: The grassy area surrounding the pool deck is a huge improvement to the look and feel of the place. It looks even better than pre-hurricane days. The gardener does an excellent job.

THE RESTAURANT: One of the biggest reasons we will keep returning to BAR is the improvements to the restaurant, i.e. enlargement, extended hours, cleanliness and quality of food. Breakfast was excellent, especially banana pancakes. Dinners were devine (best lasagna we've ever had) and the view is spectacular. Louis' talents as a cheif have been unleased and everything we tried was as good or better than old familiar places in town. We loved not having to get dressed up and take a taxi to dinner -- the food was that good.

ROOMS: They are remodeling some rooms. We just hope that in this process, the uniqueness of this hotel is not destroyed and that the prices do not skyrocket. Room cleanliness remains impeckable.

DIVE SHOP: We cannot comment on the dive shop (avid snorkelers only) but have heard many favorable comments by other guests while we were there.

New Pool & Lobby/Lounge Furniture: One of the biggest improvements are the comfy pool lounges! Matching lobby furniture is also very attractive. Music and candles in lounge area in the evening are nice new touches.

LAST: Reminder: This review is based on hotels we have stayed in Mexico and other Caribbean Islands, NOT 5 star US hotel standards.

Bob & Donna, 24 year Cozumel Veterans

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank crabbieisland2016
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

We visited Cozumel for one week with some friends. We chose this place because one of our friends had previously stayed at the hotel. As a diver, he thought this was one of the best dive shops around, with good prices and good diver masters. He realliy liked the hotel too. We are glad he recommended it.

This was my most relaxing vacation ever! And, I've traveled to over 30 countries. The staff was very attentive and friendly, rooms spacious and clean, restaurant was yummy and cheap, and although I'm not a diver, my friends really enjoyed the diving trips. I did go snorkeling one day which was a lot of fun! The package deals are great, cheap, and include breakfast and lunch. You can walk to town within 10-15 minutes and there is an excellent beachfront restaurant next door that all the local go to on Sundays. All the staff had great recommendations and it was fun to get to know them during our stay.

We visited soon after the flu outbreak, so there were nights were we literally were the only ones in the hotel. It is unfortunate for them (and all the other businesses in Cozumel, and Mexico overall), but was cool to have the hotel to ourselves. Hopefully, business has picked up in the past few months...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank foxifaye
Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2009

We stayed and dove with Blue Angel in July 2009. The staff was GREAT and the food at Rendez Blu was very good. We'll be back SOOOOON!!!

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

If you like small dive establishments, this place is for you. With only 22 rooms, small fast boats, and a small eatery upstairs from the dive shop, the place feels like home. The rooms are clean and comfortable, the beds could be softer, but after unlimited shore diving and two boat dives a day, you won't even notice. The staff, Alex and Andrea are the nicest young people around. Martin and Pony in the dive shop are great. The divemasters are super as is the wait staff Marta and Sergio in the little restaurant. All rooms have fantastic views and you literally walk out your door and walk on to the boat dock just past the pool.

We've been staying there for 8 years and the new owners Eva and Robert have made fantastic improvements in the surrounding grounds and in customer service. Great place

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank DolphinNevada
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2009

My husband and I like to stay at nice hotel so when we first checked in we were put off by the room and the small bathroom. BUT- we dove the next morning and the dive shop and crew is fabulous and I had the best diving experiences with them ( I am a newbie). My husband on the other hand has dived Cozumel for years and he gave it a very high rating too.
After we dove we had a good lunch and went back to the room for a nap- the bed was comfortable ( a little hard ), the room is basic but clean. The air conditioning was cold and the room service great. The view from the rooms are spectacular. You can't beat the price and location. I never noticed the street noise. We totally revised our opinion of the place.

My husband went back over Thanksgiving with his cousin and we are returning to Caribe Blu in July to stay even longer this summer. I would recommend it to friends with the disclaimer that if they want total luxury pay alot more and go down the road to an all inclusive. But for a great clean,basic hotel with a first class dive operation go to Caribe Blu.

Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple