“Love the place, the views and most importantly THE STAFF” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Angel Resort

Blue Angel Resort
Ranked #8 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Love the place, the views and most importantly THE STAFF”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

GREAT PLACE. WE LOVED IT!!!

We were here (mother and daughter) for two weeks over Christmas. What a wonderful place to spend the holidays. On a typical day the biggest dilemma was whether to walk into town for lunch or for dinner? Or stay at the hotel? There was no wrong answer.

Our favorite things about the BA:

- The friendly RESTAURANT staff who never minded when we got up to serve our own coffee when they (occasionally) got backed up in the mornings. They tried hard and aimed to please. Thank you Izzy, Sergio, Chefito and the others!

-The LIVE MUSIC every night by Salvador. Imagine sitting on your balcony, over looking the sea while a man with a lovely voice and a guitar serenades the place--not too loud, not too soft...perfect.

-The wonderful HOUSEKEEPING staff who took great care of our room, led by Fernando--who was one of our favorite staff members.

-The view from EVERY room is an oceanview--not a partial ocean view if you stick your head out the balcony and turn your neck...but a REAL oceanview...meaning the ocean is less than 50 feet from your door--straight up.

- The helpfulness of the FRONT DESK folks. There are usually 2-3 people at the front desk at all times which is great if anyone is checking in and the other person can help the non-checker inners. They called cabs for us, made restaurant recommendations, helped us rent a car, gave us directions to the mercado etc. They are all bilingual (at least) and super friendly.

- PROXIMITY to town. We walked into town at least once everyday. Its about a 20 minute walk to Punta Langosta (i.e. Starbucks) And about 10 minutes beyond that to the centro at a leisurely pace. Its beautiful to stroll along the ocean and take in the sights. We loved the "Se Vende Conejos" sign (We sell rabbits) from the fixer-upper structure on the sea shore. I wonder who buys those rabbits?

- The OWNER--Eva. She is a great Canadian woman who is present and super helpful and a very nice person. We liked how much pride she takes in her hotel and how much pride she instills in her staff who obviously operate as a large "family". Its a great feel to have for a hotel and dive operation.

OTHER NOTES:
* We were not bothered by the street noise really at all. We did keep our AC on at night and kept our bathroom door shut. I'm a light sleeper and was a little bit worried about this before we left since so many people seemed to comment on it but really it was a NON-issue for us. We were on the second floor (one off the street level) and one room in from the stairs.

* Our only very minor gripe (and believe me, its minor, I almost feel bad writing it)...is that we weren't in love with the morning coffee. It just wasn't as good as we wanted it to be.

* This is not a fancy, root and snooty place (as others have covered) but it is a well run hotel in a great place with a caring owner.

SEE YOU ALL NEXT CHRISTMAS!!! We miss you!!!

Room Tip: No bad rooms here.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
  • Finnish first
Torrance, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

May 2013 was our third time staying at Blue Angel. We've fallen in love with the place. Great food, close enough to town to walk or cheap cab ride, unbelievable views from the rooms. We've stayed on the 2d, 3d and 4th floors, on the restaurant side and far side. Higher floors have better views but more steps. Friendly staff always ready to lend a hand. I can't really add to the wonderful things others have said, but I did notice one new thing and have advice for an issue we had twice.

First, there are not a whole lot of places around the property to relax in the shade if you are not on the bottom floor. There are two hammocks, and 2-3 small umbrellas around the pool, that don't offer a whole lot of shade. There were other umbrellas leaning against the property wall, and there was a stand or two, but they weren't set up. I suppose we could have asked, but we had the hammocks basically every day in the afternoon. We noticed that basically every day we were there a local ex-pat couple rode bikes to the property and basically camped out under one of the two umbrellas all day long. I have no idea what the arrangement is with Eva, if any, and it's not my business. But where there is such limited shade it does not seem right that paying guests are displaced from shady spots. Trust me, we are not high end folks or complainers, and as I said we usually got the hammocks, it just sort of rubbed me the wrong way (and when the massage tables were set up right against the hammocks, making it a little uncomfortable, there really wasn't any other shade).

Second, many days they have groups come over from Playa that dive Coz and then have lunch at the resort. I get that they need to make money, but when there are only 20-something rooms, with most people out diving etc, adding 30-40 people to the restaurant and pool area turns a quiet little resort into a very busy and loud hotel. Just something to be aware of. Also, these groups hang their dive gear (or their DMs do) on the drying racks. And when they leave they just tend to grab everything. Last year my wife's wetsuit almost made it all the way to Playa on the ferry because it was grabbed along with everything else. So, if you are there and the group comes, I'd recommend removing anything you have on the rack if you want it to stay in Coz

Even with that I can't help but give it 5 stars, and these things wouldn't stop us from staying there again. Just thought Eva may like to know.....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CJMWTM
cozumelangel, Owner at Blue Angel Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Hello. This is Eva. First of all, I would like to apologize that you had a couple of issues on your trip. I always want all of my customers to have the best time, especially when you have honored us with your precious vacation time. I try to spend time every day at the resort. The reason that I do this is to maintain operations, be there for the staff, but especially to be there for my guests. If I am not at the resort, I am always very close by. The welcome letter that I give out to every guest that arrives also encourages that if you have questions, a problem or that if you need anything, that I am available for you and that that is why I am here...for you.

I am sorry that if you were having a problem, you did not feel that you could speak to me or even one of the staff to help you. I hope that by writing this I can reinforce that this is why myself and my staff are here for you always and if you need anything or have any problems you only need to ask.

Eva Kristine Rasmussen
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My Husband and son took a trip to Cozumel in May 2013. It is now June and they are still talking about the wonderful time they had. Their lodging was clean, minimalist(in a good way) and customer service was exceptional. Without asking, their room had everything they needed. Breakfast which came with the room was healthy and freshly made. They ate at the restaurant every night. What made the trip so memorable was that they completed Advanced Open Water Certification on site. Both of them could not say enough about their contact with the excellent dive staff. One of the best things is that we will be back in October to the Blue Angel so that I can do my Advanced Open Water. I can't wait!

Room Tip: If you can go to the Fourth floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank mgkgdg
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The Blue Angel is reasonably priced, clean, close to downtown, a great dock to get picked up on, and most important the staff. They were so friendly and helpful. The food at the restaurant was very good and the drinks were excellent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank justyoungatheart
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Blue Angel for the first time while on overnight from Playa. This place is so comfortable and perfect for people enjoying the number one Cozumel attraction. Staff is friendly; charming room decor; very clean; great dive shop. Will come again for an extended stay.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank lthoma01
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This was our first visit to Cozumel in over 12 years, and our first stay at the Blue Angel Resort. Cozumel has changed quite a bit since the hurricane and the cruse ships, but it is still a fun place to visit. The diving is world-class.

The Blue Angel was everything they advertised and then some! It is a small property, only 22 rooms, but that just means personalized attention. Is it a luxurious 5-Star resort with hot and cold running room service? No, but in my opinion it was a lot better: It was comfortable. I go on vacation to relax, and that's what you can do here. Relax, decompress, and let the stresses of life go away for a while. The staff were all friendly, attentive, and were happy to help us with whatever we needed. They didn't even laugh when I tried out my incredibly bad Spanish, which was very nice of them...

We ate at the restaurant almost every day, and found the food to be good, portions plentiful, and the service friendly and attentive. After a day of great diving, having a quiet drink with my wife and son while watching an amazing sunset and enjoying something from the tapas menu...It just doesn't get a whole lot better than that.

The dive operation was just steps from our room, and was very professionally run by Matthew and his crew. I'm a military-trained dive medical officer, so I tend to be a little nervous about resort dive operations. No problem here, this is an excellent facility, very safety-conscious. I felt very comfortable having my family dive with them. My wife, son and I took the 'Peak Performance Buoyancy' course on our first diving day, as none of us had been in open water for several years: This turned out to be an excellent idea, as it allowed all of us to refresh our skills and get comfortable in the water again. My son and I both learned a lot, and the course improved my wife's diving skills by at least a log factor. It was a great way to ease into a week of outstanding diving.

Some reviews have mentioned road noise being a problem. I didn't notice it at all. I suppose it could be a problem for folks who are very light sleepers (especially if you leave the bathroom door open at night), but none of us had any problems. The mattresses were firm (as they tend to be in Mexico), but I found them to be quite comfortable. The air conditioning works well, although it isn't needed a good portion of the time.

Each room has a balcony, and all face the water (great for watching the sunset). The balcony is also a great place to dry your dive gear between trips, although you can store it at the dive operation if you want. Each room has a small refrigerator, just big enough for chilling a some sodas and a few water bottles. Each floor and the lobby have a purified water dispenser, and the ice the restaurant uses also comes from the purification plant.

Trips into town were no problem; taxis were readily available, and if we felt like it, it was easy walking distance. On our last full day we wanted to take a look at the Mayan ruins and the East side of the Island. The front desk helped us set up a taxi for the trip, and we had a great time exploring.

All in all, we had a wonderful time at the Blue Angel, and will be returning there on our next visit to Cozumel.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor, not quite as nice of a view as the higher floors, but it was still grea...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Robert A
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for five night in May 2013. This was our second time staying here. Every room has ocean view with beautiful sunsets, the staff was wonderful, very helpful and all spoke english. The hotel is located just south of town and is a nice walk to town. the resturant is great every thing we had was delicious. Great Happy Hour
Randy

Room Tip: third and fourth floor rooms have the best ocean view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple