“Still My Number 1”

Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Cozumel
Taylors, South Carolina
“Still My Number 1”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Spent another great week at Blue Angel. As always the staff was friendly and helpful. When the airport van dropped me at the curb, the desk clerk popped out and greeted me by name, grabbed one of my bags, and already had my folio pulled. We were all set to go.

The room was clean and comfortable. I found that some prior guest had damaged teh alarm clock, and when I told the desk clerk, he immediately replaced it. No problem. As always, there is fresh drinking water in the cooler at teh end of the "hall."

Some minor repairs were underway in the lobby and are probably done by now. The staff worked hard to avoid any inconvenience to us. I was pleased to see that wireless had been upgraded to provide access in the rooms as well as the restaurant and lobby. A nce feature is the lobby phone that provides free calls to the US and Canada. VERY handy.

I've never stayed anywhere else on the island and really see no reason to do so. The price is right and the service is excellent.

I'll be booking another week in January.

Room Tip: This is a diver's hotel and caters to that clientel. If you want luxury, this is not the place...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Finnish first
Wisconsin
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I came to Cozumel to scuba in July, these guys are awesome and the service was excellent too I did not stay at the hotel but the scuba business and restaurant was very good I am coming back in November and I highly recommend this place

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I love Blue Angel! Friendly staff, great food, great dive masters, I can't say enough good about Blue Angel! I'm a single female and staying there I feel as safe as in my own home. The staff goes out of their way to ensure your comfort. Dive master and boat captain are the best! Blue Angel welcomes you and everyone is like family!

Stayed August 2012
northern California
Reviewed September 25, 2012

A small hotel with large rooms, a small fridge ,minisplit AC (yay!) and great service.
We got a special Sept deal, including room, diving and 3 excellent meals/day.
The room overlooked the pool and the ocean...couldn't have picked a better spot.
Liked the location a lot too...between the town of San Miguel and the Southern cruiseship pier...so away from the taxis and the noise. If ambitious a 20 min walk into town..we had rented a VW Beatle from ISIS,which got us around nicely.
Did I say good food? Did I say shrimp dinners? I turned into a shrimpaholic there. Garlic shrimp fajitas...WOW!
Anyway, we are already making plans to return to the Angel next year..for a longer stay!!!

Room Tip: We liked being on the bottom floor for lazyness sake, but then had no neigbors to walk by,ince the h...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
United States
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Just spent 5 days at Blue Angel Resort. I booked an all inclusive dive vacation with Bue Angel and I can highly recommend them. This quaint, 'right-sized' resort is a gem! Here are some detail:

All on the same property is a dive shop, restaurant, hotel and dock. As a diver, I look for clean rooms (not necessarily 5 star - but clean) that enable me to sort/hang up my dive gear, are located in close proximity to the dock where I will board the boat for diving, and quality, accessible food. When I finish diving, I am starved and exhausted and want a decent meal quick.

Blue Angel offers the best setup for me. The hotel rooms are very large. They have 2 queen beds, dresser, storage shelving/closet, TV and about 3 feet x 12 feet of open space. Which, fortunately, was the perfect space for the onsight massage therapist to setup in my room. Each room faces the water, with a nice balcony. The bathroom is a decent size. If you need a hair dryer, ask at the front desk as they have them available.

The hotel has an outdoor swimming pool that is small by 'resort' standards, but the perfect size for a hotel of this size. That is one of the advantages of this resort. There are less then 30 rooms. So you won't get overrun at the pool, restaurant or dive boat!

The hotel has an excellent wifi setup. My job requires I stay in touch, even on vacation. I have to monitor global news, access work email, and when necessary do research. WIFI is required. Blue Angel has wifi in your room and throughout the facility. I never once had a blip in coverage or speed. I was very impressed.

Most 'all inclusive' dive options have edible but not outstanding food. This is where Blue Angel shines. First, there are no 'buffets'. You order from a menu. They offer a mix of 'american' and local favorites so even the pickiest eater can find something. The food is very good, particularly for the prices. And it was very, very convenient to hop off the boat, drop my gear in the dunk tanks and walk up 10 steps to the restaurant. The restaurant is open from very early in the monring until late evening -- perfect for divers.

That brings me to the diving portion. The dive shop is well staffed. The facility has two boats - a smaller 6-10 person and a larger boat. They appear well maintained. The resort has its own dock so you walk 100 feet from your room to the boat. LOVE THAT. There are two dunk tanks and a rack to wash and dry your gear. The dive shop also offers some lockable storage, or you can take your gear back to your room -- which is just steps away. I dove air all week but believe they offer nitrox as well.

Besides diving or spending time poolside, you can also schedule a massage either poolside or in your room. I had one my last day. I frequently get massages both at home and on vacation, so feel qualified to make a judgement and I have to say this one was the best massage I've ever had. And reasonably priced. $50 for an hour. Treat yourself, you won't be disappointed. Had I realized how good she was earlier in the week, I would have booked one every day!

But the best thing about Blue Angel isn't roomy rooms, or great food, relaxing massages or a convenient dock....it's the staff. Every single staff person I met was awesome --- friendly, helpful, and kind. From the front desk to the DM. I was very impressed with the staff.

The resort is located a quick 4 minute taxi ride (about $6 US or 70 pesos) from the ferry pier if you are coming from Cancun. There are also several local restaurants within walking distance. Plus, about a 5 minute walk is a convenience store -- a kind of 7-11 or WAWA that offers candy, drinks, and odds and ends.

The only reason the hotel doesn't get a 5 star is because of the noise level at night. You can hear the local traffic. It isn't horrible, but you do hear it. It didn't affect my ability to sleep, so I don't consider it a serious deficit.

I love diving Cozumel. And now I have a favorite place to stay -- I will definitely return to Blue Angel....over and over again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor - it means only one small flight of stairs from your room to the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank prs2007
Plano, TX
Reviewed September 11, 2012

August 20th marked our second stay at Blue Angel. Since the 80's we have stayed in just about every kind of accommodation on the Island--from the little hotel off the square to the AI's at both ends of the island, to everything in between. BA just feels like home to us. We agree with all the favorable reviews that have recently been posted--Eva and her staff have got "hospitality" down to a science. My husband is the diver, and I am the official lounge lizard. He was very happy with the whole dive operation, too, as the other reviews stated. I was, too, because he did the 8:00 a.m. dives for 4 days. Each day they were pulling away from the pier by 8:00 a.m., so he was back in time for lunch. Because BA has free Wi-Fi in the resort, the only decision the lounge lizard had to make was "where should I check e-mail--on the patio, down in the lounge area or in the lovely restaurant, and should I have banana pancakes again this morning? The day we arrived, we noticed that the pool was being drained for maintenance, so I figured I'd be plopped down under a palapa by the water for week, or in the water. However, Eva had sent a notice to all the guests, apologizing for the inconvenience. She invited all of us to use her personal pool, which is across the street and half a block down from the BA. It's a beautiful, big pool. We, along with some others, took advantage of this generous offer. While there, she asked if any of us would care to order something from the restaurant or bar. After a quick phone call to the hotel, the hotel truck arrived with large margaritas for us. That is just one of the ways Eva and staff go out of their way to make sure their guests are well taken care of. Every night during our stay there was live music in the restaurant. Two men alternated nights. They both played guitars and sang a variety of songs, some in Spanish and some in English--very romantic, especially when the beautiful, little restaurant is all lighted up with twinkle lights. Can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Have stayed on 2nd and 3rd floor--both good.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank planopeople
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Wow. Just got back from our first trip to Blue Angel, and may still be in shock from the awesomeness!

Went as part of a group of 10 divers for five days - could not have been happier! Blue Angel has it all - location, service, value & did I mention location?

The staff here are professional & approachable - they took such great care of us! We mentioned that we would need to get some more Dramamine - before we knew it the hotel had dispatched someone to get some from the nearest pharmacia!

Across the board it felt like the folks here appreciated & enjoyed their jobs - we were looked after so well throughout - there was not one thing to complain about! Folks were friendly & helpful - like they really cared about our experience.

We ate here a lot - food was uniformly fresh and delicious - and they made sure to get us served & out to our dive boats on time! Happy hour was a delight as well - good value & good times! Threw a couple of curveballs with menu requests & they were met with pleasure & execuated well - I appreciated that level of service!

The rooms are just what we needed - clean, cool & spacious! Lots of room to hang out gear to dry, and with every room having an ocean view what more can you ask for? Other reviews have mentioned the traffic noise and while we did incidentally notice this the first night it did IN NO WAY interfere with blissful sleep for either of us the four nights we were there! I especially appreciated the A/C given the humidity - it was great to have a little respite from the heat when needed! Beds were comfy & sleep was deep and blissful - what more could you ask for?

The dive shop & boats were stellar - the guys took such good care of us, and I can't stress how awesome it was to just shore-dive right from the hotel, and to have fast boats take us where we wanted to go every day. Our divemasters were knowledgeable & fun - Jose is my new zen master and a masterful teacher, while Mateo is super-chill & fun to dive with.

This was my first dive-trip experience, but I can't imagine how anywhere could improve upon the experience that the Blue Angel offered......... and the Blue Angel Dive Shop and Scuba School T-shirts sealed the deal for me!

Thanks Eva, for the care & attention that your staff showed us throughout - only happy folks could provide that level of service!

Hope to be back - sooner rather than later!

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view - choose upper levels if you are worried about hanging your gear out, but...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends