“Love this Place”
Review of Blue Angel Resort

Blue Angel Resort
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in Cozumel
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Stayed here the middle of May, as always, it was a lot of fun. My Husband and myself stayed for 7 nights. We love to dive and with the dive shop next door it is perfect! The staff of the hotel and dive shop are the best. The rooms are very clean which I love and it is so much fun meeting people from all over the world. This is not a large hotel so you get to know the other people. And with the restaurant above the dive shop it is perfect. (Do try their banana pancakes) We've tried other places, but for the last five years have stuck with Blue Angle.

Room Tip: The hotel/dive package is the way to go
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank 2dive4

Reviewed June 18, 2011

My family stayed at the Blue Angel in June 2011 for a week and were extremely happy with the hotel, the restaurant, and the dive shop. The resort makes it so easy to have a great dive vacation that I don't know why you would go anywhere else. Rolled out of bed each morning to a great breakfast before walking a few feet to board the dive boat for the morning. All the dive masters were friendly and knowledgeable and the dive shop staff were extremely helpful. Nice and easy diving from the shore of the hotel also and this was a great place to venture out with your buddy for a night dive. About a 15 minute walk to a large, modern grocery store and within walking distance of the main town shopping area if you don't mind the heat. We were thoroughly pleased with the resort and also found its size to be perfect. You got to know the other divers that were staying there. We will certainly return. The diving was fabulous.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank 358Srm
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My Family, friends and I stayed at Blue Angel Resort for our scuba diving vacation at this little undiscovered gem.
SCUBA: the Blue Angel dive shop is on site and the personnel from the dive shop manager to the dive masters are top notch. There are newly installed dressing rooms and rinse tanks.
Jose was our dive master for most of the days and we were on the Blue Angel II boat. All their boats are truly FAST boats. The shore diving is pretty good. The dive masters allow you to dive your own profile so you don't have to surface when the inexperienced new diver gets low on air. In addition, they do stress safety every dive. The dive boat crew sets up your gear for you and furnishes fresh fruit during your surface interval - NICE!
The ROOMS: The rooms are spacious and basic. I was always able to find an English-speaking movie on TV. The AC worked great. The beds are firm but not hard. You can get room service and laundry service if you like.
RESTAURANT: The onsite restaurant serves really good food. It hard to beat the fresh fish lunch! For desert try the bananas flambé'. AMAZING! Eating a nice dinner watching the sunset each day is a real treat.
HOTEL: The hotel grounds are maintained hourly and look very nice. The hotel sits on the water’s edge and has picture perfect views from every room. While the hotel sits on the main roadway, I didn’t really notice the traffic noise. It dies down at night, and we're out during the day so it isn't an issue. The hotel staff speaks English and is willing to accommodate your needs, just ask. They have a magic jack phone at the desk for free use.
TO TOWN: we are walkers, so walking 1.6 miles into town every day for a little exercise was fine. It was really hot one day, so we took a taxi for $6 for three people.
We will be returning here again to enjoy this little diamond!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank dlvazquez
Reviewed June 1, 2011

Arrived at Blue Angel with a group of 11 friends and were greeted with smiles and quickly checked in. It just got better from there. The food in the resaturant was good and the menu varied. The staff was all smiles despite the fact that we all came to dinner at the same time. The rooms were spartan, clean and rusticly charming with open water views of the sunset. The crew at the dive shop were organized and accomodating. Our dive masters Jose and Norman were outstanding-they knew their stuff and shared their knowledge.The captain and crew were top notch. The diving was spectacular. The night diving even more spectacular.
We are now planning our return to Blue Angel for next year.

1  Thank Cliff S
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We took our dive vacation here May 2010, and just returned for a second year in a row. Most of their business is repeat - that tells you something! We recognized multiple guests from last year! Once again, it was great. We noticed they installed new air conditioners that are more quiet, but I never thought they were loud last year. The entire staff could not be better and Eva and Robert are very generous and gracious hosts. I can't believe everyone remembered us from a year ago, considering how many people have come and gone over the past year. The dive op is flawless. The restaurant is great, the rooms are good size, especially when you are drying out all of your dive gear. Every room is ocean view, nice pool, great breezes! When we return to Cozumel, we would not even think of staying anywhere else!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Saguaroflower
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Great place for a diver / snorkler vacation. We will return.

My friend and I flew directly into Cozumel through Houston. You could fly into Cancun and take a $14 45-minute ferry ride to the island if you got deal on airfare. On our last non-diving day we visited Playa del Carmen using the ferry. The ferry ride is air conditioned and comfortable.

A quick shuttle ride from the airport and we were welcomed by lovely Gabriel at the Blue Angel. Gabby studied in Michigan for a semester and was really helpful in telling us about the resort and the island in general. The Blue Angel was bought by a nice couple Eva and Robert from Vancouver Canada. Eva took the time to talk to us about anything and made us feel like we really made the right choice as to where to stay. Your heart beats about 10% slower in Cancun for some reason. Everyone and everything is just nice and calm.

This is a divers resort. To me that means that the rooms while spacious and clean are more on the Spartan side. The beds were firm pillow tops and the bathroom was spacious with a walk in shower area. With the air conditioning fan on, the sounds from the main road outside were muted and we slept well. There are small TVs mounted to the wall but there's really no real reason to watch one while on vacation. Our balcony overlooked the pool and the ocean. We sat outside to enjoy a couple cuban cigars on two nights after coming home from dinner.

When we arrived I got my weights, BCD and Regulator from the dive shop just below the restaurant. It was the Mares brand in great condition and well fitting. This gear was rented to me for $30 for the length of my trip. Since I'm a once every blue moon diver, this is a great deal and I didn't need to pay for any additional or overweight luggage. Ramone one of the Dive Masters took us out and we did a little refresher dive right outside the dive shop. I only have 20 dives under my belt and had not dove in 10-years. Everything checked out and we caught a few Zs before heading downtown for dinner. Now I must tell you that the Blue Angel restaurant is actually much better than many of the restaurants in town. We had breakfast and lunch as part of our package and the meals were all wonderful. but...we wanted to stretch our legs and explore anyway. Guidos is an italian restaurant on the island at which we had the best food. (and I do like mexican food)

The next day we got the 11:00 am dive boat the took us to the reef. It had people from the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy...etc. I think we were the only Americans on the boat. Ramone happened to be the divemaster of that boat as well. We drove about 40 minutes, dove a reef, came up for a snack of muffins and cut watermellon, pinapple and cantelope while we drove to another reef closer to the resort. We dove the second reef and headed back home.

The next day was my Birthday and we got the smaller 8 am dive boat. The 8 divers (all american this time) sang happy birthday on our way to reef. Very fun. Cervantos (sp?) was our dive master for the second day and he was great. We dove Panlantar Gardens which the best dive of my life thus far. We went down to 82' and did some swim throughs of the coral formations. I was given a GOPRO flash camera in a waterproof housing as a gift from my boss before leaving chicago and it produced some really great footage that I will "entertain" (hehe) my guests with for some time. I always seem to run out of air first. Today Cervantos wanted to take off his BCD and tank and just give it to me! A Divemaster that will give you the BCD off his back! ha! Because he needs to have his gear to help other people i declined and just grabbed his spare regulator and floated along side him for another 20 minutes. This would be a repeating theme for the rest of the week. My new nickname is "Mike the Air Sucker." All the women came up with a half tank of air so I will remember that for my future dives. Get a girl dive partner and use her extra air.

The next day we had Jorge as a divemaster on another small boat dive. This time Jorge took us through more narrow swim-throughs than I thought I could do. I did bail on a couple of them as I was intimidated but I learned more on that dive than any other. The next time I am there I will request Jorge again. If you are a great diver and need more adventure. This is the guy who will give it to you. I sucked his air too.

Yes I loved it. Yes I will go back. If you want a different kind of room or resort type of stay...you can still use their restaurant, dive shop and divemasters. They rock!

Thanks

Room Tip: They are all good rooms
3  Thank AirSuckerMike
Reviewed May 23, 2011

A friend and I stayed at Blue Angel Resort again for our scuba diving vacation. I've been staying there for the last 7 years and the owners continue to improve and upgrade this little undiscovered gem. SCUBA : the Blue Angel dive shop is on site and I have been diving with them for about 9 years. The personnel from the dive shop manager to the divemasters are top notch. There are newly installed drressing rooms and rinse tanks. The shore diving is excellent. Jorge is a divemaster I have been diving with for 9 years. I believe he is the most knowledgable divemaster around. If you are looking for a particular fish or animal, he can usually find it for you. He, and the other divemasters let you dive your own profile so you don't have to surface when the inexperienced new diver gets low on air. And they do stress safety every dive. The dive boat crew sets up your gear for you and furnishes fresh fruit during your surface interval - NICE! The ROOMS: The rooms are spacious and basic. I was always able to find an english speaking movie on. The AC worked great. The beds are firm but not hard. You can get room service and laundry service if you like. RESTAURANT: The onsite restaurant serves really good food. It hard to beat the fresh fish lunch! For desert try the bananas flambe'. mmmmm. Eating a nice dinner watching the sunset each day is a real treat. The hotel grounds are maintained hourly and look very nice. The hotel sits on the waters edge and has picture perfect views. from every room. I recommend the third floor. While the hotel sits on the main roadway, I don't really notice the traffic noise. It dies down at night, and we're out during the day so it isn't an issue for me. The hotel staff speaks english and is willing to accomodate your needs, just ask. They have a magic jack phone at the desk for free use. There also seemed to be a massuese on site every day too. Nice.
In general I give the whole operation 9/10 and will be going back in Dec.

Room Tip: All the rooms have great views.
2  Thank thd100