“Great dive organization”
Review of Dive with Martin

Dive with Martin
More attraction details
Owner description: Dive with Martin offers dive services for all levels of divers. Safety and your enjoyment are our primary concerns. All of our dives are guided by local professional PADI instructors and divemasters who have been diving Cozumel's reefs for many years. Our boats are some of the fastest Cozumel has to offer. They have been recently upgraded and they are all equipped with long range radios, oxygen, first aid kits and expert crews.
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Dive with Martin (DWM) is a great dive organization and they are very accommodating. They keep dive groups small - between 6 and 9 divers, and they have boats that are among the fastest in Cozumel. They honored 2013 rates, even though it was 2014 when we dove - they did this because my buddy had booked in 2013, and they felt the right thing to do was to honor the older rates. Their divemasters are simply amazing!

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"great company"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Let me start by saying that I've been diving with Dive with Martin for several years, and only had good things to say about them. I love the dive masters and the customer service on the boats. However, over the past few years my experience with reservations and service at the dive shop has gotten worse and worse.

So what happened? Well, a few weeks ago, I was scheduled to make a cruise stop in Cozumel. I made a reservation for my party through Paddi, who does the online / email reservations. She confirmed my reservation for 3 divers, but when I arrived at the shop at 8am I learned that due to the high demand of divers (there were 7 ships in Cozumel that day), they sent out all the boats and ignored my reservation because there were other divers ready to go at 7:30 am. They didn't honor my reservation; the reservations contact didn't ask for a deposit or tell me I needed a deposit for the dive shop to honor the reservation. The dive shop made no attempt to rectify the situation despite that they knew I was coming (saw my name written down for the reservation on the shop managers list). I asked if they could give some info on other shops who may have availability, but they wouldn't recommend other reputable dive shops (said they "didn't know any"). They didn't apologize, and seemed absolutely apathetic. Very disappointing...both the customer service and the fact that I was unable to dive in Cozumel, which is my favorite destination for diving. Lastly, I complained to the reservations folks after I was back, and I haven't received any type of reply. I wanted to provide them a final opportunity to respond and at least apologize for the situation, but I sent that email complaint to them 4 weeks ago and haven't heard back.

I'm actually a little disappointed to stop diving with these guys, but I have serious issues paying folks who make mistakes and don't acknowledge it or don't take responsibility and try to make it right. A simple apology would have been appropriate I'm not the type of person who complains or even writes reviews (this is my first). So I'll be looking for a new dive shop to dive with. If you make a reservation with this dive shop, my advice is that you clearly understand if they will wait for you at the time specified if it is after 8 am, and that you ask if you need to make a deposit for the shop to honor the reservation. Probably you have less likelihood for this type of issue occurring if you are staying in Cozumel rather than stopping on a cruise ship. If stopping on a cruise ship, I certainly would not recommend the shop any longer.

4  Thank LTDaniel
PaddiD, Reservations Manager at Dive with Martin, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

First of all, I'm really sorry you had such a negative experience with Dive with Martin! I do apologize and ask that you resend your followup message. I haven't received it and would certainly like a chance to respond.

Now, again, I'm very sorry that you weren't able to dive while in Cozumel. It's always difficult to accommodate cruise ship divers on varying schedules. It sounds like you missed the morning boats, which go out at 7:30 am. Since it was a very busy day, all of the boats had gone out and the next best option was to put you on an afternoon boat at noon. I'm guessing your schedule must not have allowed for this. Regardless of whether you had payed a deposit, we need to accommodate the majority of divers and get the boats out as quickly as possible. The only way to hold a boat for you would have been for you to charter a private boat. I apologize if this was not clearly explained to you.

You obviously love Cozumel diving. I'm sorry you missed it. I hope you will give Dive with Martin another chance to show your our excellent service. Paddi

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We found this team to be very friendly and accommodating. They pretty much do everything for you from carrying gear to set up. If you have special interests, they do their best to meet your needs. I liked leaving early and getting back by 11:30. The fast boats are nice as are the small groups. I will say this may not be the best outfit for new divers. There were some newbs during the two weeks we were there. They don't get any extra attention from the DM's and we saw some guys struggling with weight and things. They do have the option to purchase your own DM, but I've seen more over sight than what DwM provides, so bring your own buddy and be self sufficient. Overall, great price, quick trips, and fun guys as long as you don't need extra attention.

1  Thank Hitdbeach
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We recently spent a week diving in Cozumel over Christmas. We were a party of 5 with about 75-100 dives each so have had experience with a variety of dive operators in various locations. Fourteen dives plus a night dive that week with Dive With Martin showed us that they were every bit as good as their previous reviews suggested. Walter was our guide for the week, and he and his captain were happy to help haul and set up your gear or let you do it yourself if you chose. Walter was excellent in pointing out interesting things underwater that we never would have noticed, even though we have been diving in Cozumel before. Following him through swim-throughs and around the reefs, he made the dives adventurous, fun, and informative - isn't that why we dive in the first place? We have our own gear, but the tanks were in good condition (no leaks) and filled as they should be. Never a problem. The boat was spacious, clean, and organized. The entire experience was A+. My only complaint is that it is very difficult to find the dive shop, as it is located by the cruise ship pier which is closed unless there is a cruise ship in port. We asked several hotel people where Dive With Martin was, and they had never heard of them. Odd because our hotel was literally a block away. It would be helpful to have the hotel concierge people familiarize themselves with this great dive operator.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My brother, father, and I went to Cozumel for a family dive trip and dove for three days (2 tank dives) using Dive with Martin. All three of us were very happy with Dive with Martin. Dive with Martin picked us up from our hotel's dock (Secrets Aura) on time and with friendly, relaxed attitudes. We had different dive masters and boat captains each day. All of the crews were great. Each dive master was calm, professional, and capable. The dive masters pointed out interesting things, and didn't try to overly control the divers. If you were having problems they helped you, but basically waited until you asked for help. Topside they answered any random questions we had and made the diving experience drama-free and enjoyable. I would unreservedly recommend Dive with Martin to anyone I know who is going to dive in Cozumel.