“PERFECTO!”

Temazcal Cenote Experience
Ranked #3 of 28 Spas & Wellness in Cozumel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: X'kanha Not only a place but an encounter with oneself. X'kanha Not only an experience but an opening of the heart. X'kanha Not only an adventure but a journey into the soul. Each of our practices has been thought and created to guide YOU towards these three purposes. All of them are taken from ancestral traditions, mostly from Mexico, but we also study, practice and offer wellness techniques from different parts of the world. We invite you to surround yourself with the beauty of nature and let your soul be pampered by reconnecting and bonding into one with mother earth.
Los Angeles, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“PERFECTO!”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Temazcal was the PERFECT way to spend our day in Cozumel while in port off our cruise ship. I highly recommend it to all who visit Cozumel. It's definitely off the beaten path and was such a delight to experience something much more unique and special than your generic city or beach/snorkel tour. The beautiful natural setting paired with the cultural learnings made it both a fun and meaningful adventure. If you are open minded and like to learn about the people and places you visit, this will be a special treat. Petrus is really great at what he does, such a wonderful spiritual guide taking you on a very individualized journey of the ancient Mayan tradition of Temezcal and a great teacher of the Mayan calendar and culture.

He was so prompt and helpful in his email communications prior to our visit and provided a detailed map of where he was picking us up (right outside the mall connected to the port). He was on time with pick up and very friendly and personable throughout the journey. It was about a 20 minute drive to the Temazcal site, tucked away in the jungle with small hut for basic facilities, steam lodge, and cenote. Our personal belongings were locked up in a locker while we were in the steam lodge and we were able to take a few plunges in the cenote and enjoy the rest of the property. This whole experience definitely makes you appreciate the basics of life and the essential elements -- earth, water, fire, air. Thank you Petrus for sharing the Temazcal experience with us! We will be back to see you and Jose Luis on our next trip to Cozumel and will bring our family and friends with us!

1 Thank Pepa L

Johnstown, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The most Spiritual Experience you will ever have!”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was a very spiritual experience! Petrus was the best spiritual leader to take us into the Myan Steam Lodge and let us rediscover who we are! We intend to visit this every time we visit Cozumel in the future. I would advise you to make an appointment and take with you a few close friends and family members and experience this very spiritual time together!

Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“You will not regret it!!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have been coming to Cozumel for 10 years and sadly, this last trip was my very first time experiencing the Mayan Steam Lodge. I wish I would have discovered this years ago because this was one of the coolest (and hottest) things I have ever done. I don't want to ruin the experience for you, but you take a really neat ride through the jungle with all it's twists and turns, you lay in hammocks and listen to wonderful history as nature sings in the background, you then are led to open the circle and enter mama. While inside, don't worry about everyone else and just open up to where you want to be and who you want to be while inside, partake fully in the experience and you will feel the healing continue! The amber refreshing jump is a perfect next step after exiting mama! Close the circle and feel the weight lifted for weeks and months afterward!

If I can help it, this will become a ritual for me, my son, my best friend and all of my friends and family that are there with us!! My son is 15 and loved it!! Cannot wait to return!

Petrus, you are a gift and a friend for life!

Visited November 2012
PetrusTemazcalero, Gerente at Temazcal Cenote Experience, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you very much for such a great review and remember never is too late. You have been coming to Cozumel for 10 years and sadly??!! NO, happyly you have found us. Actually I perfectly remember you tried to come last year and by diferent reasons you could not come to the temazcal. We feel so happy you could come this year with your son and your best friend and have given us the opportunity to share a wonderful temazal session with you. You three are also wonderful friends, brother and sisters for life.
Kee the Fire Burning
Cozumel, Mexico
“A Day of Cleansing”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is a beautiful and educational experience that is worth every penny. You must call and make an appointment at least a day in advance, he will meet you and take you there, even for a very experience person in Cozumel it is difficult to find. Petrus is a great guide and showman. Very knowledgable about Mayan Culture. 80 dollars is worth it for 4 hours.

Youngsville, Louisiana, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A rare experience and an opportunity for spiritual rejuvenation”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I have "experienced" this Mayan Steam Lodge at Reserva Xhan Ha twice. The first time in 2010 and again last year on the end day of the long Mayan calendar. Both times left me relaxed and spiritually awakened. I will visit again and consider Petrus a spiritual brother and friend.

This experience is similar to the Native American Lakota sweat ritual, with subtle and interesting differences. The Mayan sweat is not as hot as the Lakota, and I enjoy that difference. Although his approach is one of educating visitors regarding Mayan culture and the Temezcal, it is difficult not to connect with yourself on a deeper level as Petrus guides through the phases of the Mayan sweat ritual. It is a journey of the spirit, celebrating nature and the cycle of life. We play various simple instruments, but mostly listen to the almost hypnotic story Petrus delivers during the sweat. Then a short plunge into the jungle surrounded canote, or water hole to cool and cleanse.

Truly a beautiful and unique experience. Petrus speaks excellent english and a very pleasant assistant provides support including fresh fruit when the ritual is over. This is a safe and interesting thing to do in Cozumel. It is sort of like a pilgrimage. Even the drive into the site is thrilling. We pass the prison, with high walls, chain link fence, barbed wire, turkey vultures and pigs. Then onto a winding jungle road that leads to the a clean and comfortable open shelter with hammocks and bathrooms. From start to finish, I highly recommend this Mayan Steam Lodge experience. You will not be disappointed.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Jerry Z
PetrusTemazcalero, Gerente at Temazcal Cenote Experience, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
WOW!! simply, overwhelmed words we have read from your review. Loved the tittle, by the way. At high school we were the rare, it is glad to know we still have that essence. You are right when you mention the difference between the temazcal and the Lakotas Sweat Lodge, our Lakota brothers are warriors. We can run our sweat lodge that hot but as this is an attraction for our visitors in Cozumel, we prefer to run mid - hot sessions instead of hot - super hot sessions, precisely to be comfortable and allow the heat do the cleansing job. Thank you very much amigo and I also will be very happy to receive you aas many time as you wish and also feel that spiritual connection.
Keep the Fire Burning