“The Real Deal!”

Temazcal Cenote Experience
Ranked #3 of 28 Spas & Wellness in Cozumel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: X'kanha Not only a place but an encounter with oneself. X'kanha Not only an experience but an opening of the heart. X'kanha Not only an adventure but a journey into the soul. Each of our practices has been thought and created to guide YOU towards these three purposes. All of them are taken from ancestral traditions, mostly from Mexico, but we also study, practice and offer wellness techniques from different parts of the world. We invite you to surround yourself with the beauty of nature and let your soul be pampered by reconnecting and bonding into one with mother earth.
Washington, D.C.
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“The Real Deal!”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

If you are like me, you steer clear of overly commercialized 'spiritual' activities. If you are like me, you do not agree with paying for a sweat lodge. If you are like me, you know when a ritual is the real deal and when it is a sham. Take my word for it, Petrus and Fire-Keeper Jose Luis offer you The Real Deal temazcal experience. They go deep! Don't go just for the novelty of sweating; heck, you can do that in the Yucatan just by being alive after 8:00 am. The price you pay deservedly goes to the maintenance of the lodge, the preparation of materials, and the wealth of information you will receive. Expect psycho-personal work and just be open to receiving whatever comes your way. Concerned about the heat? While I stayed close to the rocks and did not lie down, you will have every opportunity to make yourself cool and comfortable in the 'womb' or exit if necessary. I was a little concerned by the heavy breathing of my womb-mates, but by the 3rd movement (3rd hottest phase), an amazing quiet, calm and stillness washed over all of us. I could go on and on, but this Temazcal has the power to be transformative. So, contact them and experience a completely unexpected aspect of Cozumel. I'll be back for sure! Only one warning: I don't know why the guidebooks don't mention this, but if you suffer from sea-sickness, bring your anti-queasiness remedies for the Playa to Cozumel ferry...while I get a rush from the rough seas, there were definitely passengers that did not. Also, try not to plan another activity immediately after as we worked on Spirit time and, anyway, I was so dang relaxed, I wasn't up for much more than lounging on the beach and contemplating life...

Visited July 2012
5 Thank Anika H

Jackson, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The most genuine experience in all of Cozumel!”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We returned to the Mayan Steam Lodge for the second year in a row this year. The experience was even more personal this go around. Petrus accommodated all of our requests and gave us ANOTHER spectacular Mayan experience. If you have questions about the Mayan calendar and the "end of time", Petrus, your guide, has answers. Petrus is very knowledgable in ancient Mayan tradition, and he's an excellent teacher. We did our steam this year as a part a Mayan Vow Renewal Ceremony. Petrus collaborated with our shaman and performed a very personalized bath experience in order to cleanse our unique selves for renewing our union. I cannot say enough good things about Petrus and his temazcal. If you can only do 1 thing while in Cozumel, do the Mayan Steam Lodge temazcal. It is the most authentic Mayan experience you can have!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank ninnielee8
Cambridge, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Cleansing”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This is something everybody must do at least once in their life time. The group is lead to a beautiful jungle where there are hammocks set up. These were for comfort and relaxation of course. Petrus who was our guide made it very clear that we were to act as if it was our casa. Very warm and very welcoming. The ritual itself was a most humbling experience. Starting with giving thanks to our Earth Mother and saluting the North, East ,South and West the journey into Spiritual, Physical and Mental cleansing could begin. The steam lodge has rocks slowly added to it as to not overwhelm you with intense heat right from the start. It is more of a gradual process. The whole ceremony is intended to release all the negative toxins from the self. Petrus made it very clear if anybody needed to step out of the heat then absolutley step out and when you wish to re-enter then please re-enter. Petrus is a very kind and respectful man the perfect guide to have along on such a journey. If there was anything asked of him he would do everything he could to feed your knowledge or request. After the steam ritual were are taken into the jungle a little further where we then jump into a fresh water cenote which is a beautiful amber colour. Then after that we are treated to more hammocks and fresh fruit. All in all this was a beautiful experience. My spirit was rejuvenated 10 fold along with my mental state and physical state. I could not say enough good things about my time at this Steam Lodge.

Visited April 2012
2 Thank DarrylMcCartney
US
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“We did sweat a lot!!”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

So we were led to the middle of a jungle, a place without electricity. Petrus asked if we know what we are going to do next and he suggested that "sweating" is the one thing we will be doing for the whole day. We did sweat A LOT!! What's more than that it's such a unique detoxifying experience, both mind and soul. Thank you so much for giving us this beautiful experience.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Chloe Y
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Detoxifying and magical”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

It is spiritual, it is detoxifying and it is worth every penny. The experience will fulfill you spiritually, mentally and physically. If you are looking to get rid of all the toxins we face in the world today, please give the experience your all and you won’t be disappointed.
It is a steam lodge, no one is lying to you when they tell you, it is hot, humid and sometimes hard to breathe, but it is safe. When was the last time you were in a sauna and said: Wow, I could hang out here all day? It is meant to be detoxifying, it is meant to help you get rid of all the negativity that you carry from your everyday worlds, which is a lot of stuff to get rid of, right? So yes… it is going to be harder for some more than others, but keep an open mind, know you are in control all the time, enjoy it with the playfulness and simplicity of a child and just be… simply be. It is all designed to help you start a new chapter in your life, an opportunity to clear your head, calm your mind and release all the toxins that hold you back each day. Afterwards and for as long as you will allow it, it will help you cope with any difficulty you may have, because you can always go back to that moment when you took charge of your life and decided what you wanted to keep and what you wanted to get rid of in your world.
Petrus was an excellent guide, courteous, respectful and trustworthy. We decided to do the temazcal because my fiancé thought it would be a very different and a great experience for us. I planned it for the day before our wedding which also happened to be my birthday because I thought it would be a nice cleansing experience before our wedding and a great beginning to our new year to come a fresh, clean start. We were blown away by the knowledge, understanding, courtesy and respect Petrus provided. He was very clear to state that it was our experience and we could do with it whatever we wanted, even if it meant we stopped it at any time, we had the choice. We would not change it for the world, we had a Mayan ceremony the next day and it was the perfect complement. We did not know that in years past, this was common practice before weddings, so it made our ceremony that much more special. Thank you Petrus for your time, guidance and careful attention to detail which made this a memorable and incredibly spiritual experience for both of us.

Visited June 2012